Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:44 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Big Shot machine to get?

Hi
I'm looking into getting the Big Shot machine. I only use Stampin' Up and assumed I would get it from there. However, I went to the Sizzix website and noticed that there are different versions of the Big Shot. There is the regular Big Shot, Big Shot Express machine, Big Shot Pro machine, and the Texture Embossing machine. I am thoroughly confused. I only make cards and don't plan on making other things. What machine do you guys suggest?

Do the products for the Big Shot on Stampin' Up work on every Big Shot machine? I have a very painful autoimmune disease that is similar to arthritis and am wondering if the Express machine would be good since it is not manual. I really need something easy too. Also, why would there be an embossing machine when the Big Shot embosses already?

I would really appreciate your help and suggestions. Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

You don't need to get the big shot pro, that's a machine to make 12" die cuts like boxes. You need to get either the big shot or the big shot express. I have the regular big shot, the pro, and I have the sidekick. I think that the normal big shot is all you need, but if you have problems with your hands, you might want to think about getting the express.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the regular Bigshot. I was very leary to get the BS Express as a few SCSers had it stop working on them. Something in the motor freezes.

Yes you buy any color of bigshot and it is the exact same bigshot and works with all the Dies.
SU sells the black one. I have the pink/black Hello Kitty one as it was on sale last fall on the Sizzix site. Right now they have the Blue on on sale.
They are all the same and work with all the Sizzix dies (except the very large ones for the Pro )Spellbinders,PTI, cuttlebug, Dreamweaver products, and many more. It is really fun buying and using all different dies/embossing folders.
Actually Sizzix is the maker of the SU dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or buy a Sizzix Big Kick. It's the same machine as the Sizzix Big Shot, just cosmetic differences. The BK can usually be found in the chain craft stores -- and some of those offer 50% off coupons.

Any die/embossing folder/embossing plate that works in a BS will work in a BK.

I also have the Big Shot Pro. While is marketed for the large 12x12 dies (I love them!), it also accepts every die/EF/EP made for the smaller machines. I do use the 12x12 dies, but I mostly use regular-size dies in my BSP. I love that I can send through 12x12 paper/cardstock and place the diecut anywhere on the page. I also use the QuicKutz 12" embossing borders and die borders to edge 12x12 paper.

I buy the large Ellison education dies when they're on clearance to use with the BSP, too.

The BSP is a huge machine, but if it's in your budget, it would allow you to do everything in every size with just that machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by ama53View Post
You don't need to get the big shot pro, that's a machine to make 12" die cuts like boxes. You need to get either the big shot or the big shot express. I have the regular big shot, the pro, and I have the sidekick. I think that the normal big shot is all you need, but if you have problems with your hands, you might want to think about getting the express.
I agree. Also, if you do a lot of bulk, get the Express. After making 100 cards that required 300 pieces embossed with the same folder and 200 Nestie cuts, I really, really, really, really, really wished I had the Express. It sure would have saved my shoulder some serious pain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I bought mine from SU because I got goodies to go with it for free. Ok, so I did have a few other things I ordered so it became a show, but it was still goodies! I love my Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

If you really want the other things that come when you buy the Big Shot from SU and like the all black color, by all means buy from SU. I, for one, one would rather save money and buy what I want as far as dies, embossing folder, etc. Right now JoAnn's online is selling the pink & black Big Shot for $59.99. I think the basic package includes the white multipurpose plate and 2 regular size acrylic plates. This is only one website that has the Big Shot for way less than SU but if you are a demo, I guess you should get the SU one.

The BS Express is great if you have mobility problems or are mass producing an item. But as the OP said, some owners have had the machine stop working with the plates stuck between the rollers.

I have used BS Pro at my LSS. It can cut larger items but if you are a hobbyist, I don't think it is worth the difference in price for the machine and dies. Also, it takes up a fairly large space and is too heavy to keep moving around my crafting space.

Good luck with which ever machine you decide to buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you! I'm so relieved to have help with all of this. I'm thinking the Express might be best, although I am worried about the motor breaking down.

I have no idea how this works and I have a stupid question. Can you cut your paper to your card size and then put it through the Big Shot? It doesn't have to be an exact 12x12 or 8.5x11 piece of paper to go through, does it? Also, will I need a multipurpose platform?

I'm excited about card making! I have lost a lot at a young age (started at 18 and now I'm 26) from Ankylosing Spondylitis and I haven't been this excited about anything in years! Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I have the BigShot Express and love it! I haven't had any problems with mine and I use it a lot.

I have the wafer thin adapter, I'll post a link in a minute. It allows you to use really thin dies such as nestabilities if you want.

The size of cardstock that goes through is only up to the width of the machine, which is 6". It will make total sense to you when you get it.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Here's the wafer-thin adapter - I guess they call it the extended adapter.

http://www.sizzix.com/product/1298

It looks like you could either use the above or get the multipurpose platform.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use small scraps to cut using my small dies. The size of cardstock does not matter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

THe BigShot thread has a wealth of info and was a great resource for me to learn all about my BS
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

One thing to keep in mind when getting your Big Shot, is that when you get it from a Stampin' Up! Demo, you get her as well. We don't leave you hanging to figure it out all by yourself. If you don't have a demo of your own and need help placing an order, let me know.

Jeannette Swain
www.StampsNWhatnot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I thought they all came with the multipurpose platform. I know you can't use the Big Shot with any thinner dies (sizzlits, nesties, etc.), embossing folders or such without it. I would think it's a necessity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you! I do have a wonderful Stampin Up demonstrator. I am going to feel badly if I get the Express machine because Stampin Up doesn't sell it. Maybe they will sell it with their new catalog in July. I can't wait to see it!

So, 6 inches is the longest paper you can use for the Big Shot Express? I make a lot of cards for envelopes that are 7 1/4"x 5 1/4". Is that unusual? Do you mostly make much smaller cards? I wish the machine could go up to 7 inches at least. I have a feeling that I'm going to do more of the paper embossing with it than the cuts and I would want to be able to have that texture on most of my cards.

I just bought the light table and some classy brass templates. Are those not good to have if I am getting a machine? Do you use those even if you have a Big Shot?

My mother in law said she would buy me a machine and mentioned that it might be good to have two that have different advantages. If you guys had two to choose from, what would they be? A Big Shot Express and a Pro? Or a version of a Big Shot and a Provocraft? I might not get two, but I was thinking about it and wondering what your opinions would be.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes