Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Which is better...Spellbinders Wizard or Cuddlebug?

Hi SCS Peeps!
I'm thinking of purchasing either the Wizard or Cuddlebug with Christmas money I received. I've been doing research, but not finding what I'm looking for...real people using the machines. So, give me your input. Which would you recommend and why? Not that it matters, but I have a Cricut and really dislike it (it's for sale if anybody's interested ;)). I like the thought of using the Nestabilities for both cardmaking and scrapbooking. Like that you can both cut and emboss with the machines. So far, the Wizard is looking a little better for me, but I'm afraid I might be missing something. Your thoughts? Maybe there's something else out there that will do both that I'm missing?

Thanks!
Maggie

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

This doesn't answer your question, but I prefer the Big Kick. I have numerous brands & sizes of dies and embossing folders/plates and it works like a charm with all of them.

I also have a CB. I prefer the BK, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Cuttlebug (I've had it for years) but I'm starting to get frustrated with not being able to use longer dies with it. If you're only looking to use Nesties and no other dies or folders then a CB is fine for your needs. I've heard numerous complaints about the cranking mechanism on the Wizard. When I replace my CB I will be getting a Big Shot because it has the longer plates and more even pressure than the CB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Nothing like the Wizard for cutting those Nestabilities AND getting the deepest embossing impression! Of my 3 machines: Wizard, Revolution, and Big Shot, I prefer the Wizard for all my Spellbinder shapes.

Molly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Wizard and have used the CB. The only thing I like better about the CB is that you can build your sandwich right on the platform. You can't do that with the Wizard because it slopes down. Otherwise, I prefer the Wizard for its better embossing. You can purchase extended mats for the longer dies that Spellbinders manufactures, but they aren't as wide as the regular mats, so they won't work for the wider and longer dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

thumbs up on the wizard, it won't break and isn't that hard to get used to.
My cuttlebug broke from adding one thin cardboard to the machine

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

I own both and I prefer the Cuttlebug every time. The only thing I drag my Wizard out for is to smash bottlecaps (and who does that anymore? LOL). For some reason, I hate having to remove the spacer plate every time I want to emboss with the Wizard and I find the handle on the CB much easier than the cranking handle on the Wizard. Plus, I recently bought a CB for a friend at Michael's and they let me use a 50% off one item Joann's coupon plus a 15% off my total purchase coupon. So I paid about $35 for the Cuttlebug. I love my little 'bug' and use it all the time...which I never did when I only had the Wizard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Default LOL....Thank you!

Well, it sounds like it's a personal preferance! Hmmm....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it is a personal preference but I use so many more dies from many companies and I think that versatility wise I use my Big shot the most. I do not even have the wizard, I already had a sizzix and CB so I had not reason to buy it and I get great impressions/embosing with the correct sandwiches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

I have a cuttlebug and Wizard, I prefer my cuttlebug all the way. I don't like the cranking action of the wizard, BUT if my cuttlebug broke I'd buy a big shot:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I think you should go with the wizard since you're gonna use more nesties. I have cb before I came to know about nesties. Because I didn't want to buy another machine that's why I use my nesties on my cb. It works just fine for me but for some people, it can be quite tricky since they have to find out how the sandwich gonna be. Now that I got a cricut, so my cards will have a little bit of everything, lol...an embossed background with cb, a cricut cupcake, and a stamped image on a die-cut scallop circle layer with nestie...

Whichever you choose, have fun with your new machine
Old 12-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the big kick from michaels. I got it for less than $50 with a coupon. Love it. I use cuttlebug embossing folders with it, nestabilities shapes, sizzix dies. It is super easy to use, very sturdy, but very easy to transport as it has a handle.

That said, I don't know how it compares to the other two machines because this is the only one I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

CUTTLEBUG! I don't have a wizard though so I'm not really speaking un-biasedly, lol! I have used my lil bug every day of my life for the past few years (give or take a day, lol) and I'd be lost w/out him!
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 12:33 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I have the Cuttlebug and have no problem with Nestabilities. I like it with embossing folders and many Sizzix dies too. As a previous poster said, I am starting to feel limited in what it can handle (longer, extended Sizzix dies). So when the Cuttlebug goes, I will be getting the Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 02:56 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

i have both cuttlebug and wizard - HATED the wizard. awkwrd, shoots out with lot of force nd DI NOT do as well either cutting OR embossing so i used my cuttlebug for ALL my dies. way easy to use with nesties. i have put everything known to man thru it and tho i have broken a couple plates the machine is as good as ever 2 years later. IF it goes i will get a sizzix machine tho not sure which one....just that it's bigger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I think that it does come down to personal preference and also what you want to accomplish with any machine. I personally own the Wizard and I love it. For me it is the right machine because I am very hard on my tools. Since it's metal, I know it will last through whatever I put through it. It also takes the larger of the consumer dies.

Before you purchase any machine check the warranty. Just because a machine can make use of other manufacturer's dies does not mean that the warranty supports that. If you do damage to your machine using dies other than the dies designed for it, you can be left with a broken machine and no warranty to help.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had a CB, but now that I have the Wizard, I much prefer the Wizard. What sold me was the depth of the impressions. Amazing! Run a CB folder through a Wizard once and see how amazing they can really look. The other thing that I like about my Wizard is the way I can cut fabric, cork, felt, paper clay, Shrinky Dinks, etc. I could never figure out how to shim enough paper into my CB. That frustrated me. Its nice to know whatever I decide to layer into my machine, it won't break anything.

MFT Design Team
Paper Crafts and Scrapbooking Magazine Go-To-Gal
Carta Bella Design Team
Maya Road Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Personally, I have owned both the Cuttlebug and the Wizard. I gave my Cuttlebug away. I love my Wizard and wouldn't part with it. Kimberly is right the impressions you get with the Wizard are amazing!!!! I couldn't believe the difference til I saw for my self. I also love that the Wizard is metal. I am not going to break it ever. Once you try the Wizard and learn how to use it, there is no turning back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 07:28 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I had a Big Shot before I got onto the Spellbinders design team. I do agree with the others that the Wizard embossing power can't be beat. I have cut all types of materials in my Wizard - fun foam, Crafty Secrets Linen scraps, Grunge Paper, etc......

It is a personal preference. Do you have any friends with a Cuttlebug or Wizard that you could take for a test run? If what you want to cut is Nestabilities then my vote is for the Wizard. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

If you want to "see" any of the machines in action, check You Tube - there are tons of videos of all kinds of cutting/embossing machines - the Wizard, Big Shot, Cuttlebug are all there.

I did a lot of reading and researching, watched some videos, saw some in action in person - and ended up getting the Big Shot. Love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I had both for years and it used to be I used the CB more often. That gradually changed, and last summer I sold my CB.

I will say that it is harder to get used to the Wizard. A long time ago, someone on this site called it, "a wild beast!". LOL, exactly my first impression of it. The first time you run those plates through and forget to hold on to them: Watch out! :o There is a massive force behind them, and they will launch across the room. But that force is part and parcel of what makes it such a great tool. Once you have the technique down, you will love the results you get.

I found the CB to be a great little tool too, and it is very user friendly right out of the box. But, I have to say that I found it unreliable for cutting. Even if you rotate the plates as advised, they tend to bow too quickly, and that means less even pressure when you are cutting. Consequently, you end up replacing plates a lot. That just became annoying to me. As a matter of fact, I have yet to replace my Wizard plates, they are very very strong.

I have often wondered why the Wizard has that sloped platform, this is about the only thing I find annoying about it. It doesn't seem to serve a purpose, when it would be more user friendly if flat.

Anyway, I would say try to use them both out before buying, but remember that it will take a bit more time to get used to the Wizard. ,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I have the CB. I would like the Wizard but I am afraid of it a bit. I will say I have had very good luck with my CB but I would like a better embossed image with my nesties. My question is can I use CB folders in the wizard?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: My very hot stamp room, in Phoenix! It's a dry heat.

I have both the CB and Wizard. In fact I have two Wizards. lol Both the CB and the Wizard work, but creating the sandwiches required to use the CB to do everything is annoying to me. The Wizard is extremely sturdy, being all metal and I'm sure it will outlast the CB. It is STRONG, and I love that! You can put anything through it and it just keeps chugging along. I love my Wizards!!! I don't think you would be disappointed in it at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: My very hot stamp room, in Phoenix! It's a dry heat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stigmom6View Post
I have the CB. I would like the Wizard but I am afraid of it a bit. I will say I have had very good luck with my CB but I would like a better embossed image with my nesties. My question is can I use CB folders in the wizard?
Here is a Youtube video showing you how to use the cuttlebug folder in the Wizard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNp0MStkKgI
Super simple and great results!!!! Don't be afraid of the Wizard - it is fabulous!!!!
Patti, I see you are in Goodyear! That isn't far from me. You should come over and try both of them! PM me if you want to check out the Wizard sometime.

Last edited by imastampin; 12-29-2009 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #25  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stigmom6View Post

Yes! You get a really deep embossing result when used in the Wizard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

One more question,(I am so sorry to hijack but maybe some of my questions are the OP's questions also) Who has the best price for the wizard? [email protected] has it for $74.99 plus shipping and you CAN NOT use their VIP coupon on it :( Thanks again for any answers you all may have!! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by imastampinView Post
Here is a Youtube video showing you how to use the cuttlebug folder in the Wizard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNp0MStkKgI
Super simple and great results!!!! Don't be afraid of the Wizard - it is fabulous!!!!
Patti, I see you are in Goodyear! That isn't far from me. You should come over and try both of them! PM me if you want to check out the Wizard sometime.
I have a CB but have been trying to think of a great justification for buying the Wizard, you all know how that goes :rolleyes: Whereabouts are you ? I am off the 10 at cotton near the Super Target. We just moved here in february I love it! We werein Litchfield before but our neighborhood is great! We are natives to AZ. Anyway I would love to have a stampin friend none of my friends do any type of crafts so I am solo. I am so excited my hubby surprsed me with a compressor to use with my copics my gun and more copics are being delivered today!! Ok I better stop before I make someone made for hijaking! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

Talking What great responses!!

Thank you so much for your responses!! And I certainly appreciate the additional questions and answers being posted. Honestly, I never even thought of the Big Shot, as I was leaning toward the Wizard for the embossing. So, even if I got the Big Shot, I could use nesties in it to emboss, right? If I'm understanding this right, it's the actual "dies" and plates that are doing the embossing and the "machine" is just the tool to provide the pressure and motion to enable the cutting and embossing. If that's right, then I understand why the Wizard, being so strong, would provide better embossing. How does the embossing come out when using Spellbinders dies (nesties) and the Big Shot?

Ok, I'm heading over to You Tube to watch some demos. Unfortunately, I don't have any friends nearby who have any of the machines. I can go to a scrapbook store or two, maybe, to see what they have and see if they'll demostrate for me.

Whew! Who would have thought it would be so difficult making a decision on buying a die cut machine?!

Again, thank you sooooo much for everyone's imput. I seriously appreciate your advise and the time you've taken to respond. YOU ROCK!! :-P

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #29  
Glitter Queen

I think with any "new" machine you will have learning curves as well, if you can go to a local craft store and possibly play on their machines you will definitely find the right machine for you. I personally own 2 Wizards and a CB and I use my Wizard more than any other machine including my Expression. If you want deeply detailed embossing then the Wizard is for you!!!! Good luck in finding the perfect machine that fits all of your needs. Terre
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

Default Another question

Is there a list of stores/internet sites that anyone recommends to purchase reasonably-priced dies and/or die cut machines? There are so many places out there that it can be be confusing which stores are reputable. :?

Thanks!

Maggie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

What is the difference between the Big Shot and the Wizard? I found this thread while looking for info on the Wizard but I didn't know the Big Shot did all the same stuff the Wizard does. Is there a difference between compatibility of the different machines? I was looking at the Wizard because it is so flexible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Here is a video I filmed at CHA on the Big SHot:
http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=368

Here is a demo of the Wizard:
http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=464

Here is a video on the Cuttlebug:
http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=156

Here is the Cuttlebug using other dies:
http://www.scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=159

Just to throw it into the mix, here is the Quickutz Epic 6:
http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=567

And to confuse you a little more, Spellbinders will be releasing a new machine at CHA - but that is all I know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use my spellbinders dies in my big shot, so I've never had to buy the wizard. If you're considering the wizard, I found this on their site for you to do a comparison. HTH

http://www.spellbinderspaperarts.com...compatibility/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

Default New Cuttlebug owner

Hi Ladies- Im a newbie when it comes to both Cuttlebug and posting so please bear with me.

I purchased the CB because I love the look of all the Nestabilities I see in the galleries. Any special tips or things I need to be aware of before I start going crazy with it? Personally Im wondering if I REALLLY need to go into work tomorrow or need a mental health day!:p

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 05:46 AM   #35  

Quote:

Originally Posted by justhavingfunView Post
Hi Ladies- Im a newbie when it comes to both Cuttlebug and posting so please bear with me.

I purchased the CB because I love the look of all the Nestabilities I see in the galleries. Any special tips or things I need to be aware of before I start going crazy with it? Personally Im wondering if I REALLLY need to go into work tomorrow or need a mental health day!:p

Thanks for your help!

Check out this thread for all kinds of FAQs about Nestabilities and the Cuttlebug! If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

Hello Maggie, I was in the same predicament last week, Wizard or Bigshot. Well my wizard arrived this morning at 7.30am (UK), and I have made dozens of nesties in different shapes and sizes. Love it should have bought one ages ago . You were right sue thanks. Gill
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #37  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by curiasView Post
Here is a video I filmed at CHA on the Big SHot:
http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=368

Here is a demo of the Wizard:
http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=464

Here is a video on the Cuttlebug:
http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=156

Here is the Cuttlebug using other dies:
http://www.scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=159

Just to throw it into the mix, here is the Quickutz Epic 6:
http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/?p=567

And to confuse you a little more, Spellbinders will be releasing a new machine at CHA - but that is all I know.

Thanks for the links.
I've heard that the Wizzard is going electric. No more cranking issues.....I'm all over it IF it's quiet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

In my experience the cracking only comes from the paper cutting. The cranking can be very helpful! It lets you know you have control of the paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

HI Maggie, Just found this thread and wondering what you finally decided? Is it too late to give you my 2 cents worth?

I have a Wizard and love it! I have had it for years. I bought back in the day when that was the only one that would do all the different dies. Maybe it is just loyalty, but I have used other machines when I have not wanted to drag it to a crop for a couple of cards, but I can not imagine trading it for the world.

Someone else mentioned broken Cbug plates and never having to replace the Wizard ones. I did replace one white plate. I had used it for years and it finally had so may cut marks in it that it was embossing those into what I was cutting.

I haven't smashed a bottle cap for myself in a long time, but at a recent retreat I had to rescue someone from smashing them with a hammer. Only took a minute and the rest of us didn't have to listen to the banging. LOL!

As for where to buy the machine, dies, ect. I am sure there are several reputable places. I have had very good luck with Ucutathome.com

Please let us know what you ended up buying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

Default At the risk of repeating myself...

I did post this in another thread, but I haven't gotten a response yet, so impatient me is going to post again. :mrgreen:

I'm just wondering if there are any dies out there that canNOT be used in the Wizard. I guess I'm thinking mainly of the SU! ones intended for the Big Shot.

I'm *this* close to selling my bug and buying a Wizard because I'm sick of having to replace the plates all the time and having to use so many shims to cut cleanly with my pendant dies... So many that I'm afraid my bug will explode or that my arm will fall off by the time I get it through. It would be nice to be able to run things through and have them cut cleanly the first time.

Does anyone have any input for me?

Thanks SO much!

Angela a.k.a. PuppyDogGrins
Reply With Quote Likes