Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Maple Leaf Best Electric Die Cutting Machine to Use with Intricate Dies

I've tried to find a recent answer to this question - so I apologize if this has been answered recently. I'm looking for an electric die cutting machine that will cut through intricate Stampin Up and Spellbinders dies better than the Big Shot does. With my Big Shot, I have to make several passes through the machine, and even with a Precision Plate or a metal shim from Memory Box, I still struggle to get a good cut or to separate the die cut from the die. Has anyone found an electric die cutting machine that works better than the Big Shot? I have arthritis and use my machine frequently - but I don't want to buy an electric machine unless I find something that will works better than what I already have. Thanks so much for your feedback.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

Your thread has been moved to the Tood & Product Talk forum for better chances of helpful answers. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2017, 04:17 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 601 Likes on 245 Posts

From the demos that I saw at a recent Stamp & Scrap Expo, Teresa Collins Cut-n-Boss would do what you need. Pretty easy to find one, too. Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2017, 07:04 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think an electric die cutter will cut intricate dies better per se. They will allow you to shim properly and effectively and not have to crank what might be a somewhat tight squeeze without all that effort. I don't think that the nature of an motorized die cutter is to be tighter than a manual. I could be wrong and will be interested to learn if I am.

If you have arthritis, then cranking can be a chore, so any electric cutter will work much better for you in that regard. Ask yourself if you've ever not done something with your manual diecutter because the idea of cranking something through just felt like too much hassle. Maybe it was a thick EF, or an idea for a series of cards based on diecuts or just a day when you just hurt too much to do it.

Be sure whatever model you get has a safety for overloading - that it won't just pull a too-thick sandwich through and get stuck. Some do, and some don't.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 12-11-2017 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

The Gemini puts a lot of pressure on the die and results in perfect cuts of intricate dies. I love my machine, and if you have arthritis, you would probably find it much easier to use than a manual machine. My Gemini definitely cuts intricate dies better than my Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much for the suggestion about the Gemini. Do you know if the Gemini has a safety so it won't pull in a sandwich that is too thick? I'd hate to buy a machine that would have a problem like the old Vagabonds did.

I haven't had much luck with the Big Shot Rachelrose. The first one I received was defective, and didn't have enough pressure to cut or emboss anything. The second one quit cutting or embossing anything in the middle of the machine after a year, but because the first one was replaced - they didn't want to replace it a second time. I've only had this one for 9 months and now it's struggling with intricate dies in the middle of the machine. Smaller dies that I can place near the outside of the platform still cut. I've even tried the precision plate and a metal adapter plate from Memory Box. I don't know if the newer Big Shots aren't as well built as the old ones, or if I've just had bad luck with machines. I'm hoping to buy a machine that cuts intricate dies and lasts longer than a year. I haven't abused the machine, but I use it frequently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2017, 02:59 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifesABeach48View Post
Thank you so much for the suggestion about the Gemini. Do you know if the Gemini has a safety so it won't pull in a sandwich that is too thick? I'd hate to buy a machine that would have a problem like the old Vagabonds did.

I haven't had much luck with the Big Shot Rachelrose. The first one I received was defective, and didn't have enough pressure to cut or emboss anything. The second one quit cutting or embossing anything in the middle of the machine after a year, but because the first one was replaced - they didn't want to replace it a second time. I've only had this one for 9 months and now it's struggling with intricate dies in the middle of the machine. Smaller dies that I can place near the outside of the platform still cut. I've even tried the precision plate and a metal adapter plate from Memory Box. I don't know if the newer Big Shots aren't as well built as the old ones, or if I've just had bad luck with machines. I'm hoping to buy a machine that cuts intricate dies and lasts longer than a year. I haven't abused the machine, but I use it frequently.
Yes, the Gemini will not accept a sandwich that is too thick. I'm not sure that it's the manual machines that are faulty. I think that the dies are getting more and more intricate, and the machines just don't have the pressure that's necessary to cut them. The cutting plates for the manual machines, however, are another story. I think those are significantly thinner than they used to be. That could also be a contributing factor to the machines' inability to cut intricate dies as well as they should.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you to much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Vagabond 2 several months ago for the same reasons. My Big Shot, which is old but in good condition, would not cut well with my intricate dies no matter what I tried. I found a great sale and ordered, feeling kinda guilty. OMG, what a difference! It cuts through everything like butter. Love that thing! It's worth every penny I paid for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks GlitterGypsy. It's good to know the electric machines are worth the money. I've been avoiding my intricate dies because they just haven't been cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Has anyone used the Gemini Jr.? Does it work as well as the Gemini? After reading Scrapjanny's posts - I've been looking at the Gemini. It looks a bit big, but the Junior is a nice size, and it would be nice to not have to have to hold the button as the sandwich feeds through the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I got the Gemini Jr. and put it through its paces today, so have limited experience. But I have a major crush on it. I was worried at first, having first tried an extremely intricate die combo that came with it. The middle didn't cut - typical die issue, ugh. But then I noticed the manual's comment about "very intricate" dies:

"... and may also require being passed through the machine two or three times. This is not related to how much pressure is applied to the die in cutting, but by the detail in the design of the die ..." I tried again, and after four passes, it was fine, and may have been okay after three.

More importantly, two full background dies both I and my LSS owner had a terrible time with despite using three machines and multiple shims, went through like buttah. I put the more intricate one through twice but I'll see if once will work later.

My hands would applaud but after the workout they got before the holidays cutting seventy millionty snowflakes and other bits with a manual machine, they've earned a rest. (Minor, permanent hand problems.)

I'd been waffling partly because waiting for the plates to go all the way through for one tiny die seemed annoying, but after watching Crafter's Companion "official" videos, saw you can stop and back up. BTW, a pass takes 9 seconds.

Size was important. Just like my spa blue Cuttlebug (abandonment guilt!) it sits on the corner of my computer desk.

Based on other videos and comments, it's important to rotate and flip the top and bottom plates to control warping. So "turn and flip" is the mantra. (But I'll actually be thinking Flipper Flop, our name for the HGTV show.)

Last edited by bjeans; 01-02-2018 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Chrome spacing, size
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks bjeans for your thorough reply. How did cutting your intricate die compare to cutting it with your Cuttlebug? Did you have to poke all the little pieces out after cutting? I've seen videos of the large Gemini cutting intricate dies, and it didn't look like it took much effort to remove all the little pieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

It didn't take much effort. My poking experience has been like what I saw on Crafters Companion (CC) and other videos. All bits fall out for some dies; using a prickly roller tool or pushing the die cut with fingers worked for others; and especially for intricate dies, there's some poking. Or a combo. So it's varied but easy.

On the subject of ease, my Cuttlebug cuts small and medium sized dies well, and most large open dies. It's on par with Big Shots used at LSS's. Sometimes a metal shim is added, or trouble spots are shimmed, generally toward the center of extra large or background dies. Since sandwiches and shims vary. I'd jot the "recipe" down and put in the pouch with the die.

It's simpler for Junior. The decision has only been whether to use the metal shim. In fact the manual says don't shim (other than their full-sized metal shim).

Cutting a little star or a small banner sentiment die with the Cuttlebug versus Junior? About the same, except my hand is thrilled. There's not even a button to push.

I think I can load up Junior's plate with more dies than I can on the Cuttlebug. I probably wouldn't include an extremely intricate die along with simple ones.

Last edited by bjeans; 01-02-2018 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: Chrome spacing, then realized misread question so edited
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

I did a lot more die cutting, which was fun and easy, but two of the Crafter's Companion dies had a few tiny bits that were difficult to remove. I'd seen one of the dies in an unboxing video and it was fine, so I'm curious if the difference is in the die or machine, and will contact Crafter's Companion.

A while back I purchased a die set and had problems with a small frame - cardstock would get stuck in it and would get distorted or tear when I'd remove it. The company said it was most likely defective, and immediately sent me another one. It looked the same but cut beautifully. (This was before I had the Gemini.) So you never know...

Regardless, this is a snazzy little machine, and makes die cutting easier for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much for all the information. I'm trying to make a decision on whether to buy an electric die cutting machine. I really like what I've seen online about the Gemini, but the Junior would be a better size for me. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me so much information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 04:51 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I waffled for quite a while, but so much recent die cutting "decided me." The size is terrific, yet it's hefty and sturdy and has six largish rubber feet for stabilization instead of four. To me that speaks to quality. I like that a pass is shorter - 9 seconds.

Some of the CC dies in the bundle I bought are extremely detailed, which indicates CC believes in their product. And this will sound silly, but even the packaging shows care - an easy-open box with just two pieces of foam. (And a tiny picture of Junior saying hello on the top. I get my kicks where I can find them.) My sense is a lot of engineering and consideration went into every step of the process.

Whether Junior is as robust as Senior? The goal was to shrink Senior yet keep the capability. But only time will tell for sure.

Last edited by bjeans; 01-03-2018 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: Chrome spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Glad you're liking the Junior! I've never had any problems with any dies in the Gemini. The only issue is that some of the intricate dies just don't cut thicker material - even with all the Gemini shims. I couldn't get snowflakes to cut through Shimmer Sheetz, which are a relatively thin plastic. I think it's the dies, though. They just aren't made to cut through that material. The steel rule dies and Big Shot work just fine with that material, but the thin metal dies just can't "cut" it. ;) Enjoy your machine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 08:35 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Ooh, you make me want to try with Shimmer Sheetz, though won't hold my breath - they remind me of mylar. I'll use Elizabeth Craft Designs snowflakes, since I used them tons in my Cuttlebug and they cut beautifully. I also want to try Yupo then, since it's plastic.

You're saying your Big Shot did work with Shimmer Sheetz? Or some other material? Sorry, brain is on pause.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Glad you're liking the Junior! I've never had any problems with any dies in the Gemini. The only issue is that some of the intricate dies just don't cut thicker material - even with all the Gemini shims. I couldn't get snowflakes to cut through Shimmer Sheetz, which are a relatively thin plastic. I think it's the dies, though. They just aren't made to cut through that material. The steel rule dies and Big Shot work just fine with that material, but the thin metal dies just can't "cut" it. ;) Enjoy your machine!
You inspired me to see what Els says. She has a youtube video showing dies that will and will not cut through Shimmer Sheetz. She uses Elizabeth Craft dies but some others should work. None are highly detailed.

She adds a piece of CS behind the Shimmer Sheetz to make it work, and where she has a die set with an overlay, she uses Shimmer Sheetz for the main die and regular CS or adhesive with microfine glitter for the overlay. Interesting and honest.

Last edited by bjeans; 01-03-2018 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

It worked! I chose a die with about the same detail that Els used: 1.75 x 1.25 oak leaf with embossed veins. Junior cut and embossed perfectly, capturing the fine veins. Bonus: the Neenah Classic Crest 80lb backing CS was cut and fully embossed too! :shock:

Now what to do with a Turquoise Gemstone Shimmer Sheetz and a white oak leaf...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I love the SCS community - they always come through
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

I'm so glad they worked for you!! I'll have to try another die with them. The ones I tried were really intricate and probably not high quality. Thanks for the encouragement to try again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Thank you for jump-starting me! I die cut a tiny pair of eye glass frames from the small piece of Shimmer scrap, again with Neenah, and it cut the 1" x 3/8" glasses with 1/16" frames perfectly. I sometimes adhere glasses to my cards (I wear glasses) and this is nice bling plus there's the extra one (white Neenah).

In the future I'll have to consider what color CS to use behind the Shimmer Sheetz since it's a 2-fer.

Last edited by bjeans; 01-03-2018 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Received 496 Likes on 164 Posts

HSN craft day is next week, I hope the Gemini Jr is back on, I almost caved and bought one last time, but wasn't sure how it would hold up. I think it may be a good purchase for an alternative to my well-used Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

It's still on HSN with the same bundle, but $20 more. There's white and Barney purple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 04:59 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not liking the vagabond 2, and it was a christmas gift. So wish to buy the gemini jr. I like that is is automatic. Price point wise it's a good buy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 05:33 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

We got the Gemini Jr last week from HSN and it is doing a marvelous job! I was hesitant to spend the money when I can eventually get my dies cut by turning, shims, extra pieces of cs and often several passes - but I am so pleased and amazed to not have to do that with this machine.
DD wanted all purple but had to get a white with purple sides - she is okay now that she sees how wonderfully it cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by STYXROCKSMEView Post
I am not liking the vagabond 2, and it was a christmas gift. So wish to buy the gemini jr. I like that is is automatic. Price point wise it's a good buy?

Just curious, but why don't you like the Vagabond 2?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Me too. I love mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was hoping the vagabond 2 would hold larger paper. The gemini jr is on crafter's companion site for $179, but different goodies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by STYXROCKSMEView Post
I was hoping the vagabond 2 would hold larger paper. The gemini jr is on crafter's companion site for $179, but different goodies?
Good price. I wonder if they dropped the price because of next week's HSN craft event. Maybe the HSN price will drop. The bundle appears to be different since it says "set of dies." The HSN bundle has many more "Value Added Components" - sets of dies, stamp set, two 3D embossing folders. But right now it's $20 more.
Crafter's Companion Gemini Junior with Bundle - 8555426 | HSN

FYI, I'd tried reaching Crafters Companion U.S. to ask a couple questions using their on-line form and by phone. No response in three days, not even an automated email message. I also tried non customer service extensions and no one answered. You'd think if they were closed for the week their phone message would be changed.
Since returns aren't accepted without customer service approval, that would concern me in case there was a problem - not just with machines. Maybe it's a fluke. But since it's always easy to return something to HSN - without approval - and the price may drop next week, waiting is another option.

It's just a neat little machine; I'm glad I jumped.

Last edited by bjeans; 01-07-2018 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: Chrome spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Bee Creative has the Gemini Junior for $159 and free shipping now. http://www.shopbeecreative.com/Gemin...ng_p_1470.html

This doesn't have the large bundle HSN does but that might not matter to many people.

Curious if it will be on the HSN event this week and if the US office of Crafters Companion will ever respond to my email/phone calls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 490 Likes on 308 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Thank you for jump-starting me! I die cut a tiny pair of eye glass frames from the small piece of Shimmer scrap, again with Neenah, and it cut the 1" x 3/8" glasses with 1/16" frames perfectly. I sometimes adhere glasses to my cards (I wear glasses) and this is nice bling plus there's the extra one (white Neenah).

In the future I'll have to consider what color CS to use behind the Shimmer Sheetz since it's a 2-fer.

Or you could sponge it any color you needed...

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good morning ladies.....another fabulous SCS thread going on here!! I just saw Jennifer McGuire this morning in one of her videos saying that shes used her Vagabond Jr. because it cuts intricate dies really well. That is definitely one of the things I'm looking for in a machine, so I've been researching it all morning. Thanks for all the information from all of you here. The other thing I'm looking for in a machine is deep embossing. I find any machine I've ever used gives me deep embossing when I use an embossing folder, but I've never used a machine yet that gives me good embossing when using a thin steel die. I LOVE the look of just a simple rectangle with the edges deeply embossed (think Spellbinders rectangles) but I've never found anything that works to my satisfaction. Can anyone tell how the Vagabond (or Vagabond Jr.) measures up? Thanks, ladies!
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

OMG.....I can't believe I did that!!! I don't been the Vagabond.....I mean the Gemini!!! (Thanks, Sheryl)
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2018, 03:06 AM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

Default Cutting opening

I know that the bigshot has a little more width to it than the cuttlebug - to accomodate larger dies. How does the Gemini Jr compare - is it wider than the cuttlebug, too?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2018, 04:09 AM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

I've never had a die - even a full sized background die - not fit through my Cuttlebugs, but I gather Bigz dies won't fit - are they thicker, too?

Googling the measurements of plates gives different numbers, but Crafters Companion states Gem Jr. plates are 6" wide. So are the Cuttlebug's. Big Shot plates are 6-1/8" according to Sizzix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I bought the Gemini Jr during the HSN launch on Nov 6 for $149.95 for the bundle - and love it. I too hesitated over the price since I already own a Cuttlebug plus 3 Cricuts and a Slice - but there are so many dies out there now plus I rejoined Makers Mart on the Spellbinder small die of the month. I had so much trouble cranking the Cuttlebug it took the fun out of my paper crafting passion. Ta Da...it's back due to the Gemini Jr. love love love it....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

I have had some Stampin Up border dies (that's what I can think of off the top of my head, anyway) that aren't able to fit through the cuttlebug in both directions - the big shot seems to have just a tiny bit more width to the opening. Does anyone know what the width of the plate is that can go through the gemini Jr and how that compares to a cuttlebug or big shot plate? Deifnitely BigZ dies will not fit in the gemini due to vertical width. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes