Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Cardstock for stamps?

I've yet to have tried the Adirondack brand ink, but experience is teaching me sense: Either I really am cursed with these evil stamp pads or it's the cardstock I'm using.

I spent a lot of money at Hobby Lobby today, and already I'm regretting it. (One stamp I bought was even torn. Is this a sign from The Universe to just walk away? :confused I really don't want to regret buying the wrong cardstock again, so please clue me in on which is the best for stamps. (Clear stamps most especially).

I've read that a lot of people use Papertrey Ink, but then I stumbled on a post where someone said that their stamps sometimes bleed on the PI cardstock. I've also seen that some people use Gina K Designs or Bazzil Basics.

Those are the only one's I've heard of so far, and I don't know if they use these brands just for their actual card, their stamping, or both. I am just so sick of all these stamps I have - some wood mount and most especially clear - not stamping a clean image! I really wanted to start stamping and learning how to color them in, but so far I can't even get past Kindergarten in Stamping 101. :mad:

Also, are there any sites with premade/scored cards? The one's I have are a little small, but I really don't want to have to scor my own. My mother has something similar to a Scor-Pal, but she says it doesn't work perfectly. (She bought it a couple days ago. It comes with 2 blades? Some of y'all might know what I'm talking about). So far I just buy the premade cards at Hobby Lobby or Michael's, but like I said... they're pretty small.

Okay, I think that's it. I have a killer headache right now, so I apologize if my post isn't clear. Of these 2 questions, I'd have to say that Question #1 is the biggie for me right now. I am incredibly frustrated, so any advice is most welcomed.

Last edited by Kristin_Tx; 06-20-2011 at 08:13 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 04:57 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Default cardstock

I use plain old 110lb white cardstock from either walmart or officemax. I use it to print digis, to stamp on, to use as card base and inserts (i only use stampin up colored cardstock for card bases)
It is very difficult to get clear images with clear stamps. I have found that you need to not use alot of pressure, and I use momento ink and put a piece of funfoam under my paper to give it a little padding like you would find on a wood mounted stamp. I would just keep practicing...change the pressure you are using, the ink, the stamp- just have fun with it....if all else fails- try digital images- you just have to print them out on the computer and you have perfect images all the time (just let the ink dry a bit)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 05:06 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kristin.......I don't think your problem is the paper, I think you need to practice using the stamps. It takes the right kind of pressure to stamp either the red rubber or the clear stamps.

Also, many of the red rubber and even the clear stamps are cheaply made and you will never get the clean crisp stamping you want. You need to look at the rubber stamps in the store before you purchase them. Many are damaged in transit or just from people looking at them on the shelf. I find what's sold in the stores that are pink instead of red are really cheap in quality. How deeply they are etched will make a huge difference in the quality of your stamped image also.

Clear stamps come in many different qualities also. It depends on what they are made of.

Perhaps you could find a stamping class in your area where you could get someone to help you learn how to stamp. Check the small independently owned stamp stores for classes.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I have to agree with both of the other posters. Clear stamps take a lighter hand to get a good image. I have found that with my clear stamps (and I love them) that all of the ink wants to stay on the paper, so with a lighter amount of pressure, you will get a crisper image. Try and practice on plain paper and watch the stamp as you push down. You can actually see the ink spread if you push too hard. The brand may make a difference also, but I have had good luck with Penny Black, Martha Stewart, Hero Arts, Inkadinkado, Tim Holtz and Hampton Arts. Just keep practicing and you will get the hang of it. And when you do, be sure to keep an eye out at Michaels as most of my sets were on clearance for $3.00. ;) Good Luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I use 110lb Georgia Pacific white cardstock from Walmart or Sam's Club mostly. I also use 110lb Neenah Classic Crest Cover Smooth Avon Brilliant White and Natural White that you can get at Xpedex. My new fave is the Mohawk Via Smooth Pure White 100lb cover, also from Xpedex. If you are using large rubber stamps or rubber stamps with large inked areas, it helps a lot to have a cushion underneath the paper. You have to take your time to make sure you press all over the stamp to get the entire image to stamp. If you are using a very wet pigment ink pad, make sure you are not getting too much ink onto the stamp because it will run into the small detailed areas and ruin the stamped image. With dye ink, I find it takes a little more time to ink up the stamp. Make sure you look at the inked rubber before you stamp so you can tell if ink got on the whole stamp. Clear stamps ink easier with pigment inks than dye inks and you do have to be careful with the pressure you apply when stamping. The main problem I had with stamping clear was when I was over applying ink to the stamp. I recently did a short card class with girls 5-15years old. They stamped with a cheap clear stamp using Versafine Onyx and none of them had a bad image because I didn't let them over ink the stamp, which each of them tried to do because they assumed more ink would be better, and I told them to just quickly touch the paper with the stamp and pull it back up straight. Make sure when you are stamping that you don't rock the stamp, it should go straight to the paper, apply pressure (how much pressure depends on what type of stamp it is and how big it is) evenly over the stamp, then pull straight up off the paper. You're welcome to come over and play with my papers and inks to see what works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Who knew that stamping was akin to learning how to ride a bike when we were kids? :confused:

The only stamps which have stamped perfectly for me are the House Mouse Designs wood mount stamps. So far those little mice have been my only allies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Since I discoverd Versafine inks, I use them (especially the onyx black and vintage sepia)on nearly all of my stamped images. It is a little more expensive than the average ink pad but well worth it! It lasts forever too. I use Neenah paper most of the time for my white cardstock, but the Versafine works beautifully on any paper I have tried. Although I have had sucess with other inks with clear stamps Versafine gives the cleanest, most crisp images of any other ink IMOO. I agree with the other posters about having a light hand when you stamp your image. Honestly, try the Versafine ink and you should be able to use any paper you want with it. You can get it in the smaller size too. Another bonus is that you can emboss with it and get the same crisp images. (No, I don't work for Tsuekineko, just LOVE this product!). If I use my copics, I have to make sure I emboss the image.

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2011, 04:33 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Another VersaFine lover here! If this line included more colors I would be super happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2011, 04:52 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Another Versafine lover here too.

I am sorry you have a headache. My heart goes out to you. I have been fighting migraines all week. This is why my posts this week have been goofier than usual.

Paper choices are a headache. I buy my paper at the stores. I want to hold it before I buy it. I don't really like to order paper online. I also prefer to buy art paper from the art department.

The best stamping advice I ever got was buy Versafine Onyx ink and a big ream of Georgia Pacific cardstock. Georgia Pacific you can get at WalMart. No, it's not art grade of course. It comes from WalMart, lol. It's really great paper.

Clear stamps can be so frustrating. You will hear that you want to use the good polymer type stamps for good images and what not. Even those can frustrate you. It's all technique with Polymer stamps and the inks you use. Rub the polymer stamp with an eraser before using. I use Chalk inks with polymer stamps.

Traditional rubber stamps. It all comes down to how the stamp was made to get a great image. Some stamps like a lot of cushion when stamping. Others want you to stamp on the flattest surface possible. The best advice always test both surfaces before doing your final image. I use a piece of fun foam I bought at Michael's in the kids department. It cost me a whopping $1.00. Actually it was less than that because I am frugal and used a coupon. Least I can admit it, lol.

I hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2011, 04:57 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Since I color most of my images. I like using Georgia Pacific white to stamp on. I use black stazon ink on it. It has a great surface for markers and colored pencils. It also does well when it gets wet. I use it when I do Ink-spray-smash. It curls a little but running through my cuttlebug makes it go flat again. It embosses well. I save the more expensive colored cardstock just for matting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 181 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks for the tips, I will have to go try the few clear stamps I have as I was never able to get as good an image with them.

99% of my stamps & ink are from Stampin Up! these are made of rubber and I have found that SU! whisper white & very vanilla cardstock to give the best images, it is most noticeable with fine detailed images. the cardstock is ultrasmooth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Do any of you use Koh-I-Noor colour pencils? I used some today and I like them but I wondered if I need to seal it. I'd hate to make a card and have it fade onto something.
Reply With Quote Likes