Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suggestions: Printer that would work for Digi stamps w/out bleeding?

Hi Everyone,
I'm planning to buy a new printer specifically to be able to print digi stamps without bleeding problems when coloring. I would love to hear what printers you guys been using for digi stamps and works great...Any tips would be appreciated thanks!

Hugs,
Jas;)
Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I have never had an issue with my Epson Workforce 630 and bleeding. Usually I'll print images and wait a day to use them, but I have also used them after a couple of minutes and not had a problem either. Sometimes I'll even stamp an image, scan it and reprint and color with that, to avoid ink bleed that I'll sometimes get from using real ink. (Though purchasing the Memento ink has helped that issue).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a Canon and haven't had any issues with the inks bleeding when colouring.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I had 2 HPs and on both there was a lot of bleeding. I got a canon and that is much better for black line images with no bleeding when coloring with copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I use a Brother laser printer. Every HP printer that I had, the images bleed with my Copics.

erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

should never have a problem with a laser printer of any kind
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for the input ladies! I went to look at some laser printer today and I think i'm going to hold off on the printer for now. It's a bit pricey but I will definitly considering to get a laser one in the future. For now I will stick with the rubber/clear stamps nyt!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:45 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I bought my Brother Laser at Staples for just under $90 a few months ago and have no complaints. I can print on #80 paper (I use Hammermill Cover) but I haven't tried anything thicker. It definitely suits my needs. Printers are on sale by brand pretty often at major office supply stores, so definitely shop around, especially since any laser printer will do what you need it to as far as not bleed, and you can bring your own paper to the store to test its feeding capabilities.

Also, check toner and drum prices when you consider what you want to buy. Some printers have these as separate units and can get pretty expensive, especially for the drum. Brother TN-450 is toner and drum all in one for $45 and replacing the drum with each toner means it's less likely you'll get strange print lines or poor quality print.

I know you said you're going to wait, but I wanted to brag about my wonderful printer

Last edited by Leeann34; 10-28-2012 at 02:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Hi leeann,
I almost bought the Brother brand for $109. But when I check the cost for ink it was $45 too. So I had to back out and think it over for now, lol! Thanks, for the input also
Old 10-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had been using an Epson printer, but it was getting old and flakey.

I just purchased a Brother laser printer at Staples for half price!!! I figured that while the replacement toner cartridges were pricey, buying all the color inkjet cartridges for a new Epson would be even pricier.

Staples runs periodic specials on their printers. Go online and take a look or check Sunday newspaper advertisements.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

I just (OK, a few months ago) bought a Brother on sale on Amazon. It was $75, and came with a starter toner cartridge that's supposed to be good for 700 pages. No problems whatsoever coloring, albeit with Stampin' Up markers, not Coptics. I plan on ordering a replacement card if and when I need it, but even so, $45 for 1500 pages is way better than what I'd pay for an inkjet at $25-$30 for 100-200 pages.

Blog: himynameistheresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

The kind of printer you are using makes no difference. The ink of the printed image must be heat set if you are using gamsol or water color your image. There's no getting around that. Print your image with whatever printer using the smallest amount of ink--draft/fast draft setting. Heat set the image immediately or heat set the image and let it dry. Some say overnight, but I heat set and use the image immediately. I use digis exclusively and have never had an image run after heat setting. So don't think a special brand of printer will solve the bleeding problem. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinneappleView Post
The kind of printer you are using makes no difference. The ink of the printed image must be heat set if you are using gamsol or water color your image. There's no getting around that. Print your image with whatever printer using the smallest amount of ink--draft/fast draft setting. Heat set the image immediately or heat set the image and let it dry. Some say overnight, but I heat set and use the image immediately. I use digis exclusively and have never had an image run after heat setting. So don't think a special brand of printer will solve the bleeding problem. Good Luck.
Actually, a laser printer print does not run as it does not lay down ink like ink jet printers but rather is similar to a photocopy. I have run my print thru water and never had an issue. Lasers are reasonablly priced - I got my Samsung at Staples for around 200.00
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinneappleView Post
Actually not entirely true. A laser printer doesn't use liquid ink - it uses dry toner that is fused to the paper with heat. If one of the toner cartridges ever leaks or explodes, it's a horrid mess of extremely fine dry BLACK powder that goes everywhere and is impossible to clean up. It's waterproof, so it works really well with any kind of watercolor or waterbased markers. However, I've had it smudge when using OMS and color pencils, so the OMS must react with something in the toner. You can also use acetone to get the image to transfer, so acetone will also make it smudge.

Inkjet printers work with liquid ink, and the formulation of the ink varies between printer manufacturers. I've had inkjet ink that ran with watercoloring even after it was heat set, and I've had inkjet ink that didn't run even if it had been printed only 5 minutes earlier. The only thing that's worked for me no matter what ink the image was printed with is to zap it with workable fixative. Haven't tried that with my alcohol markers - I'm afraid that it will somehow gunk up the tips - but as long as I know that laser toner and my Canon inks don't smudge, I'm content.
Reply With Quote Likes