Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:26 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Shopping Day Question - Tim Holtz Distress Powders?

I absolutely love vintage rustic and distressed stuff...so I am wondering if the Tim Holtz Distress Inks and Embossing Powders are for me??

So do they really look aged IRL? Do you use them all the time? They are on sale at Joann.com ($3.49 each with free shipping over $25) so if I am ever going to jump in, now is the time. Just want to know if I should dive in head first and load up because I'll LOVE them, or if just one or two colors is plenty.

Thanks!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Check out the youtube videos byTim Holtz. He has a lot of interesting things there. There was one on his distressed embossing powders.
That might help you decide. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I did...but I can't see the results clearly... :(

I wanna see if it really looks aged in person, but don't know anyone who has any of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

The Distress powders do have a pitted, bumpy look to them and they're matt so you won't get that 'glossiness' that you tend to associate with heat embossing. You do need to use either the Distress inks or the specially formulated Distress Embossing ink pad with them - something like Versamark has too much 'grab' so although you'll still get the matt finish, you won't get the same level of texture as the release crystals stick to the paper too much.

One of my favourite cards using Distress powders is one by Sherrie Siemens. If you visit her blog here and then click through on the card, you should be able to see the texture as the pic is pretty big.

Distress Inks are awesome, you'll find lots of discussion about them if you just search the forum and the technical info on the Ranger site is useful too. I particularly love the brown-toned ones but they're all lovely to work with.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you for that link...it was easy to see in that pic! I think I will try some...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Default Tim Holtz product FYI

I recently dove in head first into the world of Tim Holtz. He has amazing products. He is truly talented... and his products are fabulous! My brother and mother in law have really got me interested lately. I have always loved his style but, never enough to buy and try myself. Now I 'm hooked.

His distressing powders differ from other embossing powders because they are "rustic" looking and feeling. They feel like sandpaper when heated. They can be rubbed off to give your image a "more distressed" and aged look.

I have just bought his newly released distress stickles- can't wait to get them. They are supposed to look more like mica. Can't wait to play with those.

I have also bought some of his newly released masks. They are really fabulous. His thought on how to use them, store them, and re-use them is clever.

Check things out on his blog! I guarantee you'll love all of it. Good Luck on your decision. Happy stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes