Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Adhesives

Good morning!

First of all I'll like to thank you all for your warm welcome to SCS!!! And then I have my first "cardstock collector" question! Could you tellll me which is to you the best adhesive -for paper that is-.

I'm goint to make my BF wedding invitations and I want something that will last over the years....

TIA for yor help!!!!
Elena
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I used the Tombo roller adhesive for making my wedding invitations. I use Tombo for everything. However I would advise some extra steps with wedding invitations. I made pocketfold invites out of a little heavier weighted cardstock, so when I adhered the pocket up and the invitation wording and scored the invitation, during all of these steps as I was working on other parts I would set a few invitations at a time under a few heavy books to ensure they would stick. I took extra care to do this b/c I was mailing the invites in warmer weather and humidity can affect it. Also it helped to hold it up thru the mailing process. It worked out well. Good luck with the project!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I would say go for an ATG and its adhesive. The initial cost of the gun is a shoker but the adhesive is an amazing value. You can get the gun from Framingsupplies.com but the best price on adhesive is 12 rolls for $18 at tapedepot.com it is 36 YARDS of 1/4' tape per roll. This price can not be beat and they will NEVER fall apart!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Okay, sorry to jump on with the questions Elena, but I keep seeing things about this ATG and I dont' know what it is. Somebody help?

Stickles Swap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

ATG is an adhesive gun that is made by scotch, the tape people. It is a great gun and like mentioned before the initial cost is a bit of a shocker but it is well worth it in the end. The refills are fairly inexpensive considering how much in on a roll. I have seen several people here that have gone to tapedeopt.com and ordered their version which is several dollars cheaper than the scotch version.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Here is picture of what one looks like.
http://cdn.overstock.com/images/prod.../L11085783.jpg
I actually took some of the krylon paint for plastic and painted mine then embellished when it was dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Just want to add...

The yellow gun is the 700 will hold all tape sizes but does need an adapter for the 1/4" tape

The Red one is the 714 and will only take the 1/4' tape.

I have the red one But I am seriously thinking of buying the yellow or the TAPE depot gun so I can use wider tapes. at first I thought I would just douple the 1/4" if I need a wider strip but after comparig prices you do get a better deal from the 1/2" roll.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stigmom6View Post
The yellow gun is the 700 will hold all tape sizes but does need an adapter for the 1/4" tape.
The Red one is the 714 and will only take the 1/4' tape.

I have the red one But I am seriously thinking of buying the yellow or the TAPE depot gun so I can use wider tapes. at first I thought I would just douple the 1/4" if I need a wider strip but after comparig prices you do get a better deal from the 1/2" roll.
The Scotch brand tape that goes in these guns is so strong that I see no point in using the wider strip. I have the yellow 700 tape gun. My friend has the red 714. I like hers much better. As soon as I use up the box of 1/2" tape I'm going to get the adapter. The narrower tape is much easier to put onto ovals and circles -- or anything curvy.

New (at least new to me) is the Scor-tape made by the Scor-pal company. Soooo easy to use. Just rip off a piece the size you need, stick it to your layer or embellishment, then peel off the paper backing. We all used the really narrow one for projects while onboard for "Stamp & Cruise." It's wonderful stuff.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Thanks! I'm looking at the tape gun right now. I could probably start with the tape depot one and later "upgrade" it to the scotch brand one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Ah, the adhesive question...a popular one, indeed!

Adhesives seem to be a personal choice....many prefer the ATG gun...not me...it's too large and bulky to have lying around on my desk. I prefer the TomBow Mono Adhesive that is readily found at JoAnn's. It is a dual purpose adhesive, and has a double ended applicator. The adhesive can be repositioned if you put in on your surface and allow to dry for a few minutes before adhering your 2nd layer to it, or it can be used immediately for instant adhesion. The double tipped applicator is useful of you have small areas or wide areas to cover. For me, it goes a long way and doesn't come apart. Best value for my $$.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

I have both the red ATG gun and the yellow. I have the 1/2" in the yellow one. I have had bad luck at times with the tape staying in place. I do it like it says, but I still have problems. I love the way it holds. The only downside is if you get it on crooked and don't notice it, you cannot change it. I also like TomBow adhesive. Jo-Ann's used to have their adhesive and I loved it for hold, but I an no longer find it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I am a big fan of the Zip Dry liquid glue. I buy it at Michael's or HL with my discount coupons. I did 100 wedding invitations, multiple layers, with about $5 in adhesive. Might take a few more minutes with this type of glue, but worth it for me.

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal opinion....I prefer the double sided tape from Scor-Pal. Easy to use and adhere to your project exactly where you want it. Can also be torn with just fingers, no need for scissors to cut. Rolls are very long, but light weight and easy to handle. Goes a long way and lasts a long time through many projects. I've tried other brands, but find Scor-Pal the best. Quick ordering and delivery via the website.

I have the ATG 714 and find it too large and bulky for small items like cards and such. Not very easy to put it EXACTLY where you want the tape. Also a large item to keep on the work surface.

I don't care for liquid glue of any type. Too wet, messy and takes too long to dry.

Just my opinions.

Patti

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I recommend this double-side tape to everyone. You get 55 yards of 1/4" for only $4.25:

http://www.thepaperpaletteonline.com..._products

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 5 favorites, depending on the project:

Kokuyo Dot'n'Roller Dispenser Permanent is a favorite for everyday projects like doing a couple cards.

When I am doing multiple cards/projects I like the Glue GLider Pro by Glue Arts or my ATG gun. Depends on the size of the piece to be adhered. Glue Glider is easier to use on small layers but the convenience comes at a higher price. I switch to ATG (for economy) when I attach larger pieces.

Most embellishments are attached with glue dots.

I use red liner tape (whatever brand I find, have found no difference) for items that will be handled like 3 d projects.

I use the a ATG for all "rollable" surfaces that require heavy duty adhesive.

I prefer Modge Podge to attach papers to chipboard, book covers, and other 3D objects.

When I make a card that doesn't matter if it stays together very long (ie I know it will go in the trash) I probably will use Tombow MonoAdhesive.

This is getting complicated. I think I must be an adhesive junkie (or am still looking for perfection) because I just thought of some others. I use PVA glue for altered books and certain other things and I use Diamond Glaze/Crystal Effects/Crystal Laquer/ to attach small hard items like rhinestones because glue dots are too big.

I need to stop before I think of something else. I do have a good size storage bind for all my adhesives...

Last edited by stricklandpm; 01-09-2009 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: stray word that didn't belong there
Reply With Quote Likes