Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Acrylic block to fit jumbo wheel?

I'm wanting to "un-wheel" my jumbo wheels and remount them on cling foam to use on an acrylic block. However, I haven't been able to locate an acrylic block that is the size I need. The rubber on the jumbo wheels measures 2 1/8" X 7". I'm guessing that an appropriately sized block would be about 2 1/2 to 3" wide by 8 to 8 1/2" long.

Does anyone have an idea where I could find a block this size (and modestly priced would be nice, too! ;) ) ????

Thanks for any websites you might direct me to!

Susy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I was the only one who unmounted the wheel stamps!

I got my acrylic block from ebay. I found someone who made them and it only cost me a little over $4 plus shipping.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Close to my Heart sells an acrylic block that measures 2x11... It's a great block, too, with beveled edges on both sides so it's comfortable in your hands... There is also an etched line on one side so you can align your wheel exactly...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by live4stampin
Close to my Heart sells an acrylic block that measures 2x11... It's a great block, too, with beveled edges on both sides so it's comfortable in your hands... There is also an etched line on one side so you can align your wheel exactly...
Thanks for the idea...I have been able to locate a 2" wide X 9" long block at an online store -- however, the rubber on the jumbo wheels that I have measured are a tad wider than 2" ... really measure 2 1/8" and I'm concerned that the 2" wide block would not be wide enough to accomodate the rubber. Does the 2"X 11" block from CTMH actually measure 2" wide or is it a little more than that?

Susy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Smile Prairie Stamper

I had a custom one made at Prairie Stamper for this very purpose. I highly recommend this company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2006, 05:21 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my 2 x 12. So far I have not had any trouble with the edges?

It was from Sunday International.

HTH

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Why would you unmount a wheel? (Said in a friendly tone because I want to know if I should.) I have been unmounting lots of stamps but I never thought of unmounting a wheel. Is it hard to line it up if you want to "roll" larger things? Anyone have a sample that they made this way? Thanks in advance!
Gina

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaK
Why would you unmount a wheel? (Said in a friendly tone because I want to know if I should.) I have been unmounting lots of stamps but I never thought of unmounting a wheel. Is it hard to line it up if you want to "roll" larger things? Anyone have a sample that they made this way? Thanks in advance!
Gina
I am also curious as to why you would want to do this, and curious for the same reason Gina is.

LM :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I UM ALL my wheels, because they are useless to me otherwsie. I have tried EVERY tip I could find and NONE of them helped. The poor wheels sat in a pringles can completely unused for over 2 years, so I UM'd them and now I use them FAR more often.

Personally I think it's easier to line them up than it is to wheel, but as I said, I am wheel challenged.

As for the block, I use a piece of plastic that came with some Rusty Pickle stamps. It's almost the right size, just slightly short lengthwise, but I haven't had any trouble with it. I also do NOT make wrapping paper, just cards HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Thanks for all the ideas of where to look. The reason I want to unmount my wheels is because they are going unused...yes, I have the wheel guide and have followed all the tips, tricks and advice on how to use them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What bugs me about wheels is the inconsistency of the results! :confused: Like Laura, I only do cards or other relatively small items, so being able to make a continuous line a yard long is not important to me. Another thing I hate about using wheels is the messy clean up - I always end up with ink all over my hands and often times on my clothes :(

I don't know if I will love the change from a wheel to a long stamp, but I'm ready to give it a try. I will start with only a couple before I commit my whole wheel collection to become "flatties", just incase I don't like them. I'll let you know how it goes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 07:26 AM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I am just flabbergasted that anyone would unmount their wheels.... wow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I havent UM my wheels yet, but will soon. I also only do smaller projects, and for me it's easier to make sure its lined up when UM. I don't have to purchase a wheel guide, enabling me to spend more money on stamps.

As far as the acrylic goes, I read on another message board that you can purchase and have it cut at your local hardware/home store. they may even have scrap pieces that will work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 07:46 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Before I unmpunted my wheels, I had tried every known contraption to make a straight pass there was!

Unmounted wheels is the only way to get a straight line, every time! I have even cut a couple of my wheels into pieces! Yes, multi-tasking wheels!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 07:47 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh please!!!! Where is the edit feature??????

Or spell check????

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 07:58 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse

Or spell check????
If we had spell check here, think of all the entertainment we would miss reading the wacky-spelled words! ;) I thought we had an edit feature, but I've never used it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:08 AM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

For me the wheels take up to much space and every time I used them I would mess up whatever I was making.

I now use them more than ever and hardly ever make a mistake. I don't have any examples but I will try to make some this week and take some pictures of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:27 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

wow never even occoured to me to unmount the wheels. great tip
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:30 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Have you tried your local hardware store? They sell clear acrylic. Not sure how big a piece you'd have to buy but I'm sure they would cut it for you. That way you could have a custom size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 12:04 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Edit and Speeling

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse
Or spell check????
* The Edit button was taken off most of the forums because of its abuse by folks who would post inflammatory comments and later edit their words and claim, "I never said that!"
* Most internet servers (Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc) have a spell check you can turn on so it will be active in every website wherever you might be posting. BTW, I only learned this a few weeks ago in the forum that was all about the Edit button going away. And I thought I was sort of internet "savvy." Like Boss said, the entertainment factor will be gone if we all use spell check.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 05:00 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

In addition to a long clear block you can also wrap it around a glass drinking glass and roll it on your paper

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 05:43 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

The drink glass idea is genius!!

Also, some of us buy wheels, unmount, and gasp!!! we cut them up and share them. Ones with repeats of flowers, snowflakes etc. the whole length make great stamps if you buy one with a couple of friends, chop it into thirds (where the pattern usually ends and then just repeats 3 times). Split the cost and then just use on an acrylic block and stamp 3 times close together and you get the very same result!! We have done this with so many wheels. Also, some like the one that went with the camping set that had oars, bear, tree, etc. make great individual stamps too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 06:24 AM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974

Also, some of us buy wheels, unmount, and gasp!!! we cut them up and share them. Ones with repeats of flowers, snowflakes etc. the whole length make great stamps if you buy one with a couple of friends, chop it into thirds (where the pattern usually ends and then just repeats 3 times). Split the cost and then just use on an acrylic block and stamp 3 times close together and you get the very same result!! We have done this with so many wheels. Also, some like the one that went with the camping set that had oars, bear, tree, etc. make great individual stamps too!

That is such a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 07:10 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I'm going to buy an extra one of the Outdoors wheel just to cut up into individual stamps....I have loved the images on this wheel since I got it and I use it several times a year. I wish that SU would come out with larger, companion stamps that go with this wheel - I know there's the pines set, but I'm talking about larger, woodcut images that match those on the wheel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

You ladies are amazing! I would never have thought to UM my wheels, much less cut them into smaller stamps!! And it never occurred to me to go to my local hardware store for acrylic blocks...see, that's why I'm addicted to this site and keep comin' back! TFS geniuses!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Default Prairie Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by nibs
I had a custom one made at Prairie Stamper for this very purpose. I highly recommend this company.
I also vote for Rena at Prairie Stamper. Prairie Stamper makes acrylic blocks for Posh, Repeat Impressions, Block Heads, and Technique Tuesday. She makes the most beautiful and comfortable blocks. They are crystal clear. I've purchased her standard sizes and also had her do some custom blocks for me too. She makes them herself, so she can do any size you want. She really is wonderful to order from.

http://www.prairiestamper.homestead.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 09:04 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Default How do you unmount the wheels?

Call me clueless - but how do you unmount the wheels??? I am thinking you could make background stamps if you used several wheels or a smaller one if you cut one up! I have often liked a wheel pattern, but I too some trouble rollimng.
Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

I just love the idea of cutting up a wheel!!!! I hardly ever use them because of the mess factor. (and I goof it up sometimes)

I am also wondering how you unmount the wheel stamp. Do you just peel it off? or is there a special trick?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 05:27 AM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connie Ingram
Call me clueless - but how do you unmount the wheels??? I am thinking you could make background stamps if you used several wheels or a smaller one if you cut one up! I have often liked a wheel pattern, but I too some trouble rollimng.
Connie
On a thread some time ago there was a discussion about this and then a helpful person pm-ed me with some additional tips. She said that the rubber lifts off the wheel quite easily after you run an exacto knife over the joining line (look for it, it's there). You will see that there is glue applied at the joining and the knife cuts through that. There is no foam under the rubber so it strips off nice and clean and easy.

If you are planning on using acrylic blocks (rather than mounting it on a long wood block) you will need to get some cling foam. It's very cool stuff - sticky glue on one side that goes on the backside of the rubber the other side of the foam has a nice "tacky" feel that will cling to the acrylic without having to use glue. When the stamp is not being used, you store it on a plastic sheet of some sort...I'm thinking I will strore the wheel stamps in a plastic pencil box, with each wheel having it's own piece of quilters template plastic on the backside to keep the surface clean and clingee. Anyone else have any convenient storage tips for unmounted wheel stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 07:07 AM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

For me it was actually easy to just peel off the rubber from the wheel. I just gently pulled one of the ends and it just started coming off.

As for storage, right now I put mine in a long plastic food container I bought at the Dollar Store. I don't use static cling (I use glue sticks) so they don't get stuck to each other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 07:12 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrook
In addition to a long clear block you can also wrap it around a glass drinking glass and roll it on your paper

I don't get it. If you're taking the time to unmount your stamp from the wheel, why would you wrap it around a drinking glass? Just keep it on the wheel.

I think I will buy a jumbo wheel, unmount it, and see if I like the result.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 07:27 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutiepatutie
I don't get it. If you're taking the time to unmount your stamp from the wheel, why would you wrap it around a drinking glass? Just keep it on the wheel.

I think I will buy a jumbo wheel, unmount it, and see if I like the result.

For storage mainly. I unmount everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 07:58 AM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Boss, (or anyone considering UMing wheels)

My biggest tip would be to start with a CURRENT wheel That way if you don't like it UM then you can buy another one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 08:49 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

For storage mainly. I unmount everything.

OK- I guess I haven't gotten to that point yet. but I'm sure I will, very soon! HA.
j
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 10:00 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

What a wonderful idea, I haven't used my wheels in ages. Thanks for the great tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 10:11 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Just to help I'll add: I don't use any cushion on the back of any of my unmounted stamps, except my TAC!

They stamp just fine with out cushion and are easier to keep clean, work with and store.

My unmounted wheels are on a sheet protector ( I use repositionable glue stick) that has a piece of cardboard inside for strength. I keep the page protectors in a string tie envelope in my iris cart!

Fast, easy, cheap and takes up very little room! They do make great single stamps by cutting up some of them!

HTH

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 10:12 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

I could never unmount my wheels or stamps!!! :shock: But that's just me.... ;)

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 10:15 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by krabearkub
I thought the same thing, until after 10 years of stamping I realized I would run out of space completely! The unmounting had so many advantages I never considered. The main one is a clearer work space and I used a bigger variety of stamps due to my cataloging system making it so much easier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #38  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by krabearkub
Ditto to that!!!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurakj
Boss, (or anyone considering UMing wheels)

My biggest tip would be to start with a CURRENT wheel That way if you don't like it UM then you can buy another one.
Excellent advice! This is why I'm going to include the Outdoors wheel in my next order. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

If you didn't like it unmounted, couldn't you just glue it back on the original roll?
Reply With Quote Likes