Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3 D embossing folders

I keep hearing about the new 3D embossing folders; however, I have plenty of old embossing folders that are just called 'embossing folders' yet, to me, they produce a 3D image. What is the difference between the old embossing folders and what is now referred to as 3D? Thank you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Renata Joyner (10-12-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Lots more depth with 3D. This video shows the difference:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2021, 06:31 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by skmrgView Post
I keep hearing about the new 3D embossing folders; however, I have plenty of old embossing folders that are just called 'embossing folders' yet, to me, they produce a 3D image. What is the difference between the old embossing folders and what is now referred to as 3D? Thank you.
The best way I can describe them is that they have 2 levels of embossing. One level is deeper than the other, and that creates a more dimensional look. I think 3D is a misnomer, because, like you said, they are all 3D. I believe We R Memory Keepers refers to them as "Next Level," and I think that's more accurate.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
brownie59 (10-12-2021), SMarlowe (10-12-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:11 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Imagine pressing an object like a shell into a piece of clay - that’s more like the impression you get with a 3D folder, instead of straight edges from the sides of the object, you get contours.

The thing I find fascinating is that they’re being talked about as “new”. Spellbinder were making 3D folders as far back as 2013 and maybe even earlier. There may have been others doing it too, I just happen to have a couple of the early Spellbinders ones and there’s a spectacular project by Linda Duke that always sticks in my mind - she blogged it in January 2013 (here - it’s taking a while to load for me but it gets there eventually).

ETA - the same card is in Linda’s gallery here, too: Shell Beauty 3D M-Bossabilities by Linda D at Splitcoaststampers

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (10-12-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 01:10 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 266 Likes on 111 Posts

Great explanations about 3D folders! I would just add that using one can take a bit of fiddling. Instructions for using them are available online, but I usually wind up adding a shim or using a different plate in my Big Shot -- and then storing a Post-It note in the folder so I don't have to figure it all out again the next time. They're well worth all the "fiddling," though!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Alice in Md:
ceramicat1 (10-07-2021), grannycards (10-12-2021), SMarlowe (10-12-2021), wavejumper (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 09:41 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts

I agree. They do take a different sandwich than regular folders. They are often thicker. I too mark the folder but I use my label maker. I think it is worth it. Like regular embossing I find spritzing with water helps

I have some of the older spellbinders 3Ds. They have a true hinge. I remember that shell one! Is that long ago???? eeek
Reply With Quote Likes
brownie59 (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 01:27 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
Great explanations about 3D folders! I would just add that using one can take a bit of fiddling. Instructions for using them are available online, but I usually wind up adding a shim or using a different plate in my Big Shot -- and then storing a Post-It note in the folder so I don't have to figure it all out again the next time. They're well worth all the "fiddling," though!
I had to giggle when I read this because that is exactly what I have done. Each one is different too. Not always the same configuration. But it works!!! Also always spritz with water before embossing. Took me a while to start doing the spritz but when I do they turn out so much better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2021, 02:29 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find that a light spritz of water on each side of the cardstock makes for a better impression, without the cardstock cracking. Specially heavy weight card or watercolour cardstock. I like the different layers in the 3D folders, but I also love most of my regular embossing folders as well.
Reply With Quote Likes