Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you do with reinkers?

I came across a great deal yesterday and got a whole bunch of reinkers(non stampin up) I know there are some techniques that you can use them with, problem is, I don't know what they are...Has anyone compiled a list or anything???? TIA!!! :p
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I know you can use your water pen with them for a really intense colour. You can also stamp on acetate with Staz-On and go to the back and mix crystal laqueur with a drop of a re inker and apply it to the back of the acetate (like stained glass)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

You can make a fun background

1) you need a pan that will fit your piece of cardstock
2) 5-6 marbles in a shallow dish (I use two or three shallow dishes with marbles for different reinkers)
3) add a few drops or ink to one shallow dish and swirl around so that the marbles are coated
4) Toss them into the pan and roll around on cardstock
5) repeat with other colors until desired look is achieved

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

found these in my long list of techniques:

RE-INKERS USES

Re-ink your stamp pads
Use the coordinating re-inkers to keep those 48 Stampin Up! colors “alive.” (Bet you already guessed this one.)

Re-ink Kaliedacolor pads
Use the standard 48 color re-inkers to re-ink your Kaliedacolor pads. Stampin’ Up! has colors that are pretty close matches for the K-pads. You may slightly alter a few of them but at least this provides you another option than throwing the pad away. For help choosing the coordinating colors for each K-pad just ask me. I have a list.

Shaving Cream Technique
Use them to make your own specialty papers with a technique referred to as the Shaving Cream Technique. This technique for making unique backgrounds for your special cards requires foam shaving cream and the re-inkers. It is a little messy so I recommend wearing thin rubber gloves and working in the kitchen on newspaper. Spread the bottom of a shallow 9 X 12 pan with a layer of shaving cream (the cheap .99 cent stuff). Spread it out with a spatula to about ¾” thick in the bottom of the pan. Take a couple of coordinating colors (such as Mellow Moss and Pale Plum) of re-inkers and put a couple drops in a random pattern all over the shaving cream. Just a couple drops to start with. You can always add a few more drops. Take something such as a marker, pencil or toothpick to swirl the shaving cream around until you get the look you want. This will give a marbling effect on finished product. Now press a piece of white cardstock (1/4 sheet is easier to work with) face down into the shaving cream from the center out. Press it to be sure the whole surface is touching. Gently peel the card stock up and scrape off the extra shaving cream with a spatula or wipe off with a paper towel. Dry off the extra bits with a dark colored towel or a clean paper towel. The shaving cream will come off the card stock, but the ink pattern will remain. Don’t be afraid of smearing the ink. It will stay where it originally touched the paper. You now have an awesome background, each one a little different from the next. You can repeat until you don’t like the design you get. When it is dry, the surface is soft, almost velvety to the touch.

Paintbrush Technique
Select a paintbrush and palette (you can buy these in a craft or hobby store or make your own from a plastic plate.) You will actually paint with the re-inkers. No need for a blending pen. This method adds more vibrancy to your finished project and you have the ability to apply undertones and highlights right where you want them. It works best to first emboss your image. Embossing gives a nice edge for the ink to blend to. You can also mix the re-inkers and come up with your own designer color.

Christmas Ornaments
Make beautiful glitter bulbs! Take clear glass ball ornaments and remove the top. You will need about 10 drops of one color of our SU ink refills into each clear glass bulb ornament. NOTE: Only add one color ink refill (dye based ink) or it will create a muddy mess and won’t look very nice. When you are done, turn the bulb upside down and let the excess ink drain off into a paper/plastic cup. Pour approximately ½ teaspoon glitter into the cardstock that is folded. (You can mix different colors of glitter to create your own custom design.) After ink has drained from bulb, pour glitter into glass bulb, QUICKLY, put a small piece of paper or plastic over opening, to protect your finger, now . . . SHAKE. NOTE: You should shake the glitter around immediately so that it doesn’t sit in one place forming a big blob of glitter. Pour excess dyed glitter into a different plastic film container. (You can reuse it.) Put the top back on the ornament. Tie Organdy or Grosgrain Ribbon, Raffia or whatever you would like around the top or just leave it plain. These are truly beautiful!

Paperclay and Re-Inkers
Mix with Paperclay to make your own specialty colors. This is great for matching your embellishments to your projects! You can also choose to not fully mix the re-inker into the Paperclay and leave it in sort of a swirl pattern. Very nice look for embellishments using the Groovy stamp set!

Crystal Effects and Re-Inkers
Besides adding Crystal Effects straight from the bottle, to give it color, add a drop or 2 of a re-inker. This will give a raised, 3-D effect to your stamp project. Add a bit of dazzling diamond glitter to the mixture and now you have a colored glitter gloss perfect for adding that extra special touch to any card or project.
8. Easter Egg Background:
Do you want to spread a little spring happiness around? Try making your own designer paper using the re-inkers doing the following technique. Use a paper towel that you have wadded up, dip in re-inker color and then pounce it all over the US white cardstock. Doing this with 2 or 3 colors ends up looking like dyed Easter Eggs that the little kiddies do. Really pretty to use an eyedropper, put some drops down and let them run across the page.
My small gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2006, 04:08 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Another idea (I think it is posted in the resources section) is to use your reinkers with a baby wipe. You can drop a few colors on to make your own custom "ink pad", or use the wipe directly onto glossy card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Check this out for more info!

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

ETA: Let's see if this works. Here is the attachment from the link above.

Nope that didn't work. Let's try this.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Aaaaannnnnddd.......IT WORKED! HTH

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?

Last edited by krabearkub; 03-07-2006 at 04:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Go to the Resources section here on SCS, scroll down to see a number of wonderful techniques listed: Polished Stone, Baby Wipe, Shaving Cream, and Salted Background. Click on any of them and go to a page of complete instructions, many with photos to help. Next to the technique, you'll see gallery in parenthesis which you can click on to see cards using that technique. Gotta love this website for all this great info at your fingertips.

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

thanks gals!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't forget to fill your markers up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2006, 01:37 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dahl House
don't forget to fill your markers up!
Just curious - how do you do that? I never though of doing that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2006, 06:01 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

To re-ink markers;
-pull marker apart and take out the ink sponge (not sure what else to call it)
-squeeze ink into ends of ink sponge, just a little at a time
-this is a slow proccess, so you need to have a little time. It took me
about 5 min to do one marker
One thing you could do to make it speed up a little is to squeeze the ink sponge about 1" from the end while putting the ink in. When you release your fingers, the ink will automatically suck into the sponge.

If the fine tip of your marker is dry, it takes a few minutes for the ink to soak into the tip, it is like a quill. The brush tip will work imediately.

A couple weeks ago, one of my markers was dry. I was a little disappointed considering I hadnt used it much, and I never leave them open. I wondered if I would be able to re-ink it instead of ordering a new one. So, I popped it open and gave it a try. I was so happy that it worked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2006, 04:13 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=ltlngl]To re-ink markers;
-pull marker apart and take out the ink sponge (not sure what else to call it)
-squeeze ink into ends of ink sponge, just a little at a time
-this is a slow proccess, so you need to have a little time. It took me
about 5 min to do one marker

Thanks so much for sharing this tip!!!

Reply With Quote Likes