Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-14-2006, 06:05 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watercolour Pencil Help

I have been recently playing with my watercolour pencils, and trying to get results like some of the wonderful artists here on SCS. I don't always know if I am putting enough colour in my image before I go ahead and use water on it (I have been using a slightly wet paintbrush since it works best for me).

Could someone post a thumbnail of their image after they are done colouring it but before they use brush, blender pen or aqua painter on it? I've looked in the Resources section, but it would be nice to see a couple more.

Thanks, Linda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 06:09 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Location: I am a Utah desert rat! I fry in the summer, but, oh, the winters are spectacular!

Remember that many of the more color intensive images in the gallery have been done with Prisma colored pencils and Gamsol. The watercolor pencils have a more sheer look and aren't as bold as the Prisma colored images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 06:53 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I have no experience with the watercolour pencils that SU sells as to their pigment strength, but I do work with and teach others fine art classes using watercolour pencils. All of the pictures in the world are not going to help you develop an understanding about how to use these pencils as much as plain old practise and experimentation will.

...take a long scrap of paper (3"x8" at least), pick a pencil and scribble a swath of colour about an inch or so wide (top to bottom) - use very heavy pressure to start almost pure heavy pigment, for about a half inch, then let up on the pressure for the next half inch, then let up on the pressure again and so on, and so on, until the pressure you are applying is just very light, faint lines of pigment.
Now - take a damp (I don't use the aquapainters, they don't give enough control over the water) watercolour brush, start back at the heavy end of your line and loosen up the pigment with the water in your brush, then pull the colour out away from the line either up or down, not both ways. Continue to do this all the way to the end, rinsing your brush out after each pressure change and try to keep the brush consistently damp for every gradation in pressure. (you could also do this by making a chart and filling in boxes of varying pressures but the long scribbled line is faster and should get the point across)

Once you complete this exercise you should at that point have a pretty good idea of how much pigment you have to have on the paper to get a nice strong image or a very delicate washed out one! YOu also have to learn how to control the water in your brush - this as well comes with practise. As well the pigment strength in each colour of pencil is not consistent - some apply very easily, some require more layering, this is because of the difference in the actual pigments and how much binder is required to get them to stick together in a pencil lead shape.

...you can layer the pigment if it isn't dark enough too - just make sure your paper is completely dry before you add another layer of pencil - doesn't have to be the same colour either, you can make a whole new colour by layering one colour over another.

..if you have any more questions, send me a PM I will be around most of today, not sure what we are doing this wknd, but I will get back to you as soon as I can
..art is about discovery - you gotta play to learn!

J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 07:44 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

wow...TFS!!!

I didn't post the original question but it is something I've wondered how to control myself. I wish I'd thought of this test before. Thank you thank you thank you!!

The way I ended up using my pencils that gave the FX that I liked was to touch the tip of the pencil to a damp paper towel and very lightly color...it spread beautifully and as it dried a bit it lightened a bit.

HTH
Dj
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 06:26 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I like to apply the watercolor pencil to a scrap piece of paper and pick up the color and fill in the image. I think I get more control over the shading that way. Just another idea.
Reply With Quote Likes