Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-27-2005, 06:51 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default watercolor help

i tried to watercolor with the aqua pens, ink squeezed from pad, and a classic chocolate chip ink pad. i was not pleased with the results. :( i felt like the lines faded maybe because i was using too much water. how do you control the aqua pens? what am i doing wrong? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
jen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:07 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Did you stamp the image with the classic ink? I'm not for sure, but I think that you can only watercolor within the basic black or the basic brown. I think those two are not supposed to run when watercoloring or whatever. I'm not a demo, and I'm fairly new to stamping, so I could be way out in left field. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!!

The Aquapainters take some practice. I haven't had mine that long, but it took a few tries to figure out how to control the water. I have found that squeezing it and then blotting it on a towel or paper towel before dipping it in the ink helps me avoid using too much water. Now that I have gotten used to them, I LOVE them.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:16 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Don't get discouraged, but it may take a lot of practice. (I am speaking from my experience!) If you have the reinkers, try putting a drop on the lid of the pad, then soak it up on the aqua painter. This is what works best for me. It seems like there isn't enough ink when I squeeze the pad and lid. Start out with a little color-you can always add more. Once I practiced a lot, I finally got the hang of it, and now I love the aquapainters.
Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Aquapainters take a bit of practice, but once you get the hang of them, they are awesome!

I squeeze it first to get water onto the bristles. Then DON'T squeeze when you are picking up the ink on the lid or when you are painting the image. Also, I have found that if I wet the paper right where I'm going to color with the brush (without any color on it) and apply the color, I am much happier with the result. You don't want a puddle on the image, just a bit damp.

You can use them on Ultrasmooth White and Vanilla, but try with the confetti paper if you have it....something about the paper works better than the ultrasmooth kinds. I learned this at convention when they were debuted.

Hope that helps....there are probably other threads that explain more. Go to Forums, then search on 'aquapainter tips'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2005, 04:17 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I'm a huge fan of watercoloring. The biggest key to watercoloring with ink is not to use to much water. The Aqua pens are great, but you have to use them with "light" pressure. The more pressure you apply to the brush tip the more concentrated with water the brush tip becomes. Practice is the key.

I use the "squeeze" technique with my ink pads too and if I have the ink refills I will use that instead. The watercolor pencils work great with the Aqua pens as well. Practice before you actual make the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2005, 04:24 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I use the Craft Basic Black and emboss first. That little extra helps keep the colors where they belong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2005, 05:25 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

thanks for all your suggestions! i am ready to give it another try. i especially like the embossing trick because it allows me to demo two techniques not to mention i love embossing. i have a lot more practice before i demo watercolor so i better get to work. thanks again for your suggestions & support!

jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 02:40 AM   #8  
PAPER SCAPER

Try doing what Debbi suggested with embossing it first and use glossy paper. It doesn't have to be a high gloss.
I like the watercolor crayons but SU doesn't sell them so you can't demo those.

Rox
Reply With Quote Likes