Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stampin' Write Markers & Aqua Painter / Blender Pen

I tried watercolouring with the Stampin' Write markers but I couldn't get it to work.

I stamped the image using Basic Black onto watercolour paper (not SU) and then outlined the edges with the markers. Then try as I might using the Aqua Painter or the Blender Pen, the colours will not budge. Please, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or maybe it is just my paper that's unsuitable?

I have not had a chance to get any SU watercolour paper yet to test it on. I think Whisper White is a little too glossy/smooth for watercolouring, am I right?

Also, is it safe to use the Blender Pen or Aqua Painter directly on the markers to pick up colour?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you're going to "watercolor" using the markers as your starting point, then you actually SHOULD be using Whisper White/Very Vanilla card stock! :mrgreen: Watercolor paper is too absorbent for painting with ink and soaks it up before you can work it with the blender pens. It's really only for using with actual watercolors, like our Watercolor Wonder Crayons or regular watercolor paints -- although, I suppose painting with the ink refills and an Aqua Painter could work, too.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks Rachel! That makes sense. I was getting so frusrated last night. I'll give it another go tonight on Whisper White.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

I use an old CD or plastic plate and put some color on it with the marker and then pick the color up with the aqua pens ...you can color on any paper...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I wouldn't watercolour at all on whisper white. I watercolour with markers all the time and I use watercolour paper (140lb coldpress). I now use mostly Tombows to watercolour but I used to use the stamp and write markers and they worked just fine. The key is to work in small areas at a time and work quickly. For example...if you were working on a flower then colour one petal and then take your aqua painter to it, then move onto the next petal. Good luck and just keep playing! You will get it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

booshashia: Thanks. I have been doing that with my Spots. I guess markers work the same.

Kim: Thanks Kim. I'll give that a go again in smaller sections.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via Skype™ to poldi99

I have been having the same problems. I tried the Tombow Markers on a stamped image, colored only a small area and then wanted to blend it with either a blending pen, I also tried the watercolor-brush (filled with water). Nothing works on the whisper white/confetti paper:(:confused:. All I do is ruin the paper. It only works if you put some color on plastic where you can pick the ink from with the blender pen or brush and then color your image. I havn't tried aquarell paper yet. Maybe that will work better. Working with watercolor crayons or watercolor pens worked much better as well. But actually I thought it should work coloring the image directly with the markers. Is there a secret I don't know yet?
I also tried to make the paper wet first before coloring and blending.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 01:15 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

another suggestion. when using watercolor paper. wet the paper first. don't soak it. just damp enough to soften the fibers. then use the markers. it isn't the best and easiest way to watercolor but it works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
another suggestion. when using watercolor paper. wet the paper first. don't soak it. just damp enough to soften the fibers. then use the markers. it isn't the best and easiest way to watercolor but it works.
Makes sense, Joan -- that's how you do it with watercolor paints when you want a light, even wash of color!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkpaperplaneView Post
I tried watercolouring with the Stampin' Write markers but I couldn't get it to work.

I stamped the image using Basic Black onto watercolour paper (not SU) and then outlined the edges with the markers. Then try as I might using the Aqua Painter or the Blender Pen, the colours will not budge. Please, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or maybe it is just my paper that's unsuitable?

I have not had a chance to get any SU watercolour paper yet to test it on. I think Whisper White is a little too glossy/smooth for watercolouring, am I right?

Also, is it safe to use the Blender Pen or Aqua Painter directly on the markers to pick up colour?

Hi, I'm not sure if this is exactly the look you want, but Julie does a fabulous tutorial with SU! markers, an aquapainter and watercolor paper. The results are really pretty! You may find something to help you out here.

http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_...ics-no-pr

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

Hey Nadine. Thanks for the link. That tutorial is awesome.

I also tried colouring on Whisper White as Rachel suggested, and that worked a treat! It was exactly the effect I was looking for, so I was stoked!

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
If you're going to "watercolor" using the markers as your starting point, then you actually SHOULD be using Whisper White/Very Vanilla card stock! :mrgreen: Watercolor paper is too absorbent for painting with ink and soaks it up before you can work it with the blender pens. It's really only for using with actual watercolors, like our Watercolor Wonder Crayons or regular watercolor paints -- although, I suppose painting with the ink refills and an Aqua Painter could work, too.
I totally disagree with you on this one Rachel. I use SU markers and a blender pen on watercolor paper ALL THE TIME! I usually emboss my image in black, outline with the marker and then move the ink with the blender pen...it takes a bit sometimes depending on how big the space is, but I've got tons of examples of this technique in my gallery.

On the other hand, I CANNOT do this on Whisper White paper. I find the ink doesn't move at all on the WW paper and the blender pen just makes it "ball up".

To the OP...try watercolor paper. And if you want proof...just check out any of the PMS fairy cards in my gallery...most of them are done this way.
Reply With Quote Likes