Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #321  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernStormView Post
*Old ladies*made me giggle. Young ladies used rosewater as perfume also. Many couldn't afford expensive perfume of the day. When young, my Mom used berries to tint her lips.

I've never heard that water from a dehumidifier is distilled. To distill water, remove all impurities, it has to be boiled, turned into steam then evaporated back into water. The water added to a dehumidifier is tap water, far from distilled. It is to be emptied daily and the dehumidifier washed thoroughly. If not, you can get serious mold, gunk and pure nasty water. I would NEVER drink any water from a dehumidifier. You want distilled water ONLY when mixing any concoction. It is the impurities in other water that grows unhealthy goo in your mixture. The Spring water, etc., is NOT distilled. READ THE LABELS!!

Do avoid all baby wipes that contain Lanolin. This breaks down your clear stamps. Read the label! Not all baby wipes contain lanolin.

I searched for the Awesome cleaner at my Dollar Tree. There were several formulas. I'm not sure if there was a *regular or original* formula. I picked what seemed to be the mildest one and read the back label. If I remember right, it said do not use on glass. That was scary so I replaced it on the shelf. Anything that will harm glass, doesn't need to be in my house. So, please read any product label that you're considering using on our expensive rubber/acrylic stamps.

I've used the Baby Wash stamp cleaner recipe for about 3 years now and have had no ill effects on my rubber or clear stamps.

Side Note: If you have those widdle unwelcome guests in your kitchen, *Ants*, spray them with the Baby Wash stamp cleaner!! No joke!! Stops them in their tracks immediately. We've lived here over 40 years and have had these little creatures for about the last 3. I won't use any chemical around my sink or counters. After fighting them for about 2 weeks, I was mad, desperate and determined! lol I grabbed my stamp cleaner sitting there on the counter and sprayed away. I was so amazed! It took about 3 days to finally convince them I was in this for the long haul. FYI, they go for greasy stuff and ignore sweet stuff. Not fun to go in the kitchen in the middle of the night and see them all over a dish in the sink from a late night sandwich!!

I apologize for the long post. I hope some of this helps at least one of you. May God bless, Sandi
One does not ADD water to a dehumidifier--it takes the water out of the air, so it is pure. We always used ours at home in our steam irons. Now that I live in the high desert, I have no need of a dehumidifier, so must buy distilled water.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #322  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sending the "recipes" for the homemade stamp cleaner and blender pen refill. You are the greatest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2011, 04:11 AM   #323  
Rubber Obsessor

Subbing, great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #324  
Cardstock Collector

Wink Stamp Cleaner

Thanks so much for the info...subscribing...have used homemade cleaner for 4 years and am very satisfied....great idea about the paint edgers for cleaner pads..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #325  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Stamp Cleaner and Blender Pen Recipe

have used the homemade cleaner for four years now and am very pleased...just had a bottle of it broken last night by a helpful husband and it's not a disaster; cheap to replace.....will try the pen recipe as well..Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #326  
Embossing Fanatic

usually drug stores have it. I tried Target and nada. I would try rite aid or one of the other "biggie" drug stores for glycerin- that's where I buy it. . Diane at Stampin dee is right I just remembered the suppository section!! Crystal: don't use candle scents! I have not tried soap scents altho I've made lots of soap!! Personally... I'll try a drop or two the next time I make clearer and try...sigh to remember to post the results here.
Thanks everybody I just love all of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #327  
Embossing Fanatic

Hey Jocelan you sound just like me. My friend bought me a bundle of terry car repair towels. Best thing I've ever used to dry stamps after cleaning. Colorful too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #328  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I don't use the awesome cleaner but I wonder if it says do not use on glass because it streaks?

Ants .. arghhh, my exterminator told me to spray the ants with any household cleaner (409, windex, etc.) and then don't wipe it up for a day. He said it distroys the scent trail and kills the little buggers. But it doesn't kill the nest. He put stuff around the outside of the house to kill the nest. You found out the secret that I paid someone to tell me LOL

oh yes- my friend recommended using windex where I lived before which I swear must have been built on an ant hill- and it works great! Where I now live the ants are ferocious(high desert) the only thing that kills em here is Ant block. You pour the granules on the hills and they come out to scarf it up take it back and die!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #329  
Embossing Fanatic

I use windex or whatever spray cleaner I have around -- had no idea anyone else did this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #330  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by newmommy06View Post
Ok can you just buy a regular spray bottle to put the homemade solution in

Does it work with staz on as well

What about the Stamp Scrubber.. Is there something else we can use in place of that?
I go to a paint store and get the "flat" rollers. They work great for cleaning stamps and you can pitch them in the washer when to stained. I cut the plastic back so they lay flat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #331  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by munzieView Post
oh yes- my friend recommended using windex where I lived before which I swear must have been built on an ant hill- and it works great! Where I now live the ants are ferocious(high desert) the only thing that kills em here is Ant block. You pour the granules on the hills and they come out to scarf it up take it back and die!!
I heard the same thing happens with corn meal and it worked for me in a previous ground-level apartment (I didn't look for the ant hills but after several days of leaving a line of corn meal wherevere we had seen ants I didn't see anymore of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #332  
Kookie Creator

so pleased I stopped in for a visit I am on the way to buy new supplies to make my own stamp cleaner and blender refill SCS is the greatest thanks to all of us of course. Thanks for all the shared info. Have a great week-end......Anita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #333  
Crimping Master

Thanks for all the info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 AM   #334  
Rubber Obsessor

Default blender refill

I also use this as a refresher on my colored markers (dye and waterbased) to get some extra life out of drying up colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #335  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
One does not ADD water to a dehumidifier--it takes the water out of the air, so it is pure. We always used ours at home in our steam irons. Now that I live in the high desert, I have no need of a dehumidifier, so must buy distilled water.
I think the person was describing a humidifier, not a dehumidifier. You do add water, and dump it every day, clean it and add fresh water. "Monk" used both at the same time...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #336  
Kookie Creator

Default not distilled coming from dehumidifier

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
the water from a dehumidifier is not a very good source of liquid for making a cleaner, it is taken from the air, basement moisture leaves a lot to be desired any way but the point is distilled water is recaimed from steam therefore free of the contaminates that will muck up your cleaner if it sits for any length of time. The purest cleaner is better for stamps any way. Hope this helps. (distilled water is the the vip in the mix)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #337  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3,001 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Great reading here! Thank you for all the tips. Yes, my SU! demo sprays water and the SU! cleaner on her scrub pads. so I started doing that too.

VSBN24 National Scrapbook Day - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #338  
Rubber Obsessor

Default blender pens

How do you refill the blender pens? I see your reply on another posting...

Thanks so much

Quote:

Originally Posted by r.View Post
The dove blender really works to refill the blender pens?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #339  
Rubber Obsessor

Default to refill blender

You can remove the nib with tweezers and use an eyedropper to add solution to the pen (or store the solution in a bottle with pointed end - like those that come in a bag of 6 at Joann's usually hanging on the side walls where eyedroppers are). You can also do the same thing with a marker that is drying up (add blending solution) to reactivate it. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #340  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Stamp Cleaner

I read some where that you need to have a preservative so you don't have a problem with bacteria. Do you suppose you really need this? Does anyone use a preservative?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #341  
Matboard Maniac

I made the stamp cleaner recipe a few weeks ago, and it has been great! I have given some of the mixture to a few of my stamping friends and they also loved it! It is easy to mix up and makes a great gift. I am just amazed at how well it works on all types of stamps and with ALL the various inks I use. Thanks so much for sharing! Blessings - Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #342  
Cardstock Collector

It makes water wetter and conditions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2011, 12:41 AM   #343  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun4gwenView Post
I read some where that you need to have a preservative so you don't have a problem with bacteria. Do you suppose you really need this? Does anyone use a preservative?
I've had a half-gallon jug made up of the cleaner ( I share with my stamping friends) and it sits around for about a year till it's used up. Still looks as good as the day it was made. Clear with just the slightest tint of green from the soap used in it. Oh yes, I've changed from Dawn to Palmolive dish soap with aloe. Still works great. But I don't see any reason for using a preservative.

I shop at a Kroger store and the glycerin is in the same area as peroxide, iodine and rubbing alcohol.

Also since SU has come out with clear blocks i find that they get a little messy after use and just wipe them off with a littlt rubbing alcohol. It's cheap and I think the stamps stick better to a very clean surface.

Bettye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #344  
Compulsive Stamper

Great thread! I will be making my own stamp cleaner from now on.

Violet

Crafty Violet's Chaos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 02:51 AM   #345  
Glitter Queen

Hello there,
great recipes for waterbased inks !
I was wondering if anybody had a copycat recipe for STAZON CLEANER ? (to remove solvant based ink)

Thanks !
Ma
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #346  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yikes. Stazon?????? It is a lot stronger and is going to take something beyone baby wash.
However.... for all of you who bought baby wash to make cleaner and don't have babies at home now. . . did you know it makes great eye makeup remover? Gently mix together 1 1/2 T baby wash, 1/2 t baby oil, with 3/4 C distilled water. Easy and gentle and not full of chemicals!!!!!!! (Just a little off topic!)

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #347  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
Yikes. Stazon?????? It is a lot stronger and is going to take something beyone baby wash.
However.... for all of you who bought baby wash to make cleaner and don't have babies at home now. . . did you know it makes great eye makeup remover? Gently mix together 1 1/2 T baby wash, 1/2 t baby oil, with 3/4 C distilled water. Easy and gentle and not full of chemicals!!!!!!! (Just a little off topic!)
Oh - that's a really great idea! I have to try it... Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #348  
Embossing Fanatic

You may want to try the StazOn cleaner for getting those dark stains off. It works really well for me. Don't know what is in it or if you can make it from scratch like the regular stamp cleaner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #349  
Compulsive Stamper

For cleaning the clear acrylic blocks, try Purell hand sanitizer. It works great and is cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2011, 04:51 AM   #350  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda Ohio now GAView Post
For cleaning the clear acrylic blocks, try Purell hand sanitizer. It works great and is cheap.
Purlell is 62% alcohol and alcohol can damage your acrylic blocks.

A couple of years ago I did some research on cleaners for my blocks because several had developed fine spider cracks. I found that because I was using harsh cleaners (the old Stazon cleaner, alcohol, 409, etc) I had ruined my blocks and eventually the spider cracks will all join together and my blocks will break into tiny little pieces.

SU sells a block cleaning cloth and works really well on my newer blocks. It the stains are older you have to rub a bit but it does get them off and my blocks are polished to a nice shine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #351  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subbing
Card for a Cause / RMH Swap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #352  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm glad this stamp cleaner thread is back to the top since I was coming here to post a stamp cleaner question. How do I know if a cleaner is SAFE for my stamps?

I have two cleaners:
  • Rub-N-Scrub Stamp Cleaner by Hampton Arts specifically says, "Press and rub cleaner onto rubber stamp with scrub top." Obviously it's made for rubber stamps and not acrylic.
  • Clear Stamp cleaner by Ranger's Inkssentials line says, "An acid-free, non-toxic cleaner especially developed for clear acrylic and photopolymer stamps." And this one is obviously made for clear not rubber stamps.

Is it safe to throw caution to the wind and go with one cleaner for everything? If so, I'd just as soon give up the store-bought and go homemade ... but I wonder if I choose the wrong cleaner or wrong recipe if I'll have stamp issues down the road.

We hear that StazOn cleaner will ruin acrylic blocks, but it's supposed to be OK for acrylic stamps. This seems contradictory. And it makes me wonder if long-term use of the wrong cleaner would be bad for our rubber and/or clear stamps. Has anyone ruined a stamp from prolonged use of a specific type of cleaner?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2012, 04:16 AM   #353  
Rubber Obsessor

I wouldn't use Stazon with your acrylic stamps but the homemade cleaner is safe. Think the glycerin in the homemade helps keep your stamps from hardening. I use Stazon cleaner for Stazon inks (solvent based).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #354  
Glitter Queen

Default Homemade Stamp Cleaner

Morning everyone,
I have been reading the bog regarding the homemade stamp cleaner. I see that everyone is excited about using it but I really must be missing something:confused: I do not see the recipe for the cleaner or the Stazon cleaner can someone tell me where I can locate the recipe or please send it to me?

Thanks for the help in advance
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #355  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by poohbear54View Post
I do not see the recipe for the cleaner or the Stazon cleaner can someone tell me where I can locate the recipe or please send it to me?
There are several recipes. Look at posts: 2, 30, 122, 132, 200 and 211. I may have missed a few but those are the ones I saw during a quick look.

I'm not chemically savvy so I'm a little concerned about mixing my own product. I'll probably skip anything with more than a couple drops of alcohol or oil as a regular cleaner. Alcohol is drying and oil breaks down rubber--there's a reason why doctors tell you not to use oil-based products with condoms. ;-) Though I might consider a baby oil recipe used sparingly--and only occasionally--for StazOn ink removal.

I'm thinking about taking a closer look at the solutions with glycerin and baby wash, or maybe glycerin and Simple Green. But I'm still wondering why companies sell two types (rubber and acrylic) stamp cleaner. Maybe a ploy to get us to buy two bottles instead of one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #356  
Cardstock Collector

I use the Simple Green / glycerin recipe - have for years. Works great, conditions my stamps and it's CHEAP! I insist on my stamps being clean (I'm a freak, I know). I go through a lot of cleaner so it's great to be able to make it economically.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #357  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
There are several recipes. Look at posts: 2, 30, 122, 132, 200 and 211. I may have missed a few but those are the ones I saw during a quick look.

I'm not chemically savvy so I'm a little concerned about mixing my own product. I'll probably skip anything with more than a couple drops of alcohol or oil as a regular cleaner. Alcohol is drying and oil breaks down rubber--there's a reason why doctors tell you not to use oil-based products with condoms. ;-) Though I might consider a baby oil recipe used sparingly--and only occasionally--for StazOn ink removal.

I'm thinking about taking a closer look at the solutions with glycerin and baby wash, or maybe glycerin and Simple Green. But I'm still wondering why companies sell two types (rubber and acrylic) stamp cleaner. Maybe a ploy to get us to buy two bottles instead of one?
Thanks Melissa for taking the time to go through and posting the posts from the thread for the recipes. I was going to sit and figure it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #358  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have been here forever and managed to miss this thread.

The dehumidifier debate. I think the OP meant humidifier. I have throat problems and use a steam humidifier. I do save the water for my plants & aquariums. My humidifier does distill the water.

I also make the baby wash, glycerin, distilled water recipe for my stamp cleaner. I love it. Best stamp cleaner I ever owned.

Blender Pen refill I also use glycerin, rubbing alcohol, distilled water.

I learned the hard way about using cleaner on acrylic blocks and the spider cracks. It was one of my newbie mistakes. Yes, I got all the spider cracks and a shattered block.

StazOn recipe- Before I write it down I want to put the warning beforehand. I use StazOn maybe twice a year. If your using StazOn often buy the StazOn cleaner. My recipe has rubbing alcohol in it. Rubbing Alcohol can dry and damage your stamps with prolonged use. I did get the recipe from a stamping site on the Internet.

StazOn- I use a light coating of rubbing alcohol on my stamp. Afterwards I wash it thoroughly with baby wash. Then I give my stamp a very good coating of glycerin.

I was hesitant to use this recipe. Once I saw some stampers using Copics directly on their stamps I decided to try the recipe. I am very pleased with it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #359  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetiepeasView Post
I think the recipe I used was:

2 cups distilled water
2 tsp. simple green
1 tsp glycerin

Man that stuff works great! It removes my Stazon too if I clean right away. I love it and will continue to use it!
Hi stampers,
Do any of you know of an Australian equivalent of Simple Green?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #360  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by clyveView Post
Hi stampers,
Do any of you know of an Australian equivalent of Simple Green?
Thank you.
I looked at the Simple Green website and there is (or at least was) ONE retailer in Australia that carries it:

CIPL Pty Ltd
P.O. Box 1253
Golden Grove Village LPO
GOLDEN GROVE, SA, 5125

Phone: 1300 826 470
Fax: 1300 826 473
Cel: 0407 747 522
Reply With Quote Likes