Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:36 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pearl ex

So does anybody know how to use the stampin' up pearl ex powder. It's been a few years since they sold it but I have some and I don't know how to use it.:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 06:46 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I can't wait to hear the responses on this one. I went to a work shop about 6 years ago, and just had to have some. Now I can't remember how it was used or why I "needed" it so much. Everytime I see it in my craft stuff, it bugs me that I had wanted the pearl ex so badly and now have no idea why!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesleydexterView Post
So does anybody know how to use the stampin' up pearl ex powder. It's been a few years since they sold it but I have some and I don't know how to use it.:confused:
I love Pearl Ex used with stencils. I apply stencil paste over my stencil and remove the stencil and allow it to dry completely. Then I replace the cleaned stencil over the dry image securing down with removable tape. I then use my glue pad and dab it all over the stenciled image. Take a DRY paint brush and lightly dip into one of the Pearl Ex colors, tap off excess. Lightly brush the Pearl Ex powder on the image, which is now sticky with glue. The colors apply nicely and make the stenciled image pop even more! HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

You can also stamp an image with Versamark, and then dip a dry paint brush into the Pearl-Ex and apply it to the stamped image. The Pearl-Ex sticks to the versamark ink. This would also work with "doodles" drawn with a versamark pen. Here's a card using the versamark technique: CAS28 Masculine Unity Simplicity by stampjourney at Splitcoaststampers

At a workshop, we dipped a paintbrush into floor wax and then into the Pearl-Ex tub to "paint" over a stamped image. It was messy, but it turned out pretty and glittery.

I've also seen directions somewhere here on SCS that you can put a bit of Pearl-Ex into a travel sized non-aerosol hairspray to make your own glitter spray for backgrounds. I haven't tried it, but it sounded like fun!

I'm curious about other pearl-ex uses that others will share. :-) Just love finding multiple uses for a product!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I add a small amount of pearl ex to about a dime size amount of floor wax and mix it up and us it that way. The floor wax gives it holding power over just using it by itself. The floor wax and pearl ex mixture dry's up so I wouldn't make to much of it at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

drop a glob of hot glue and mix in a very very small amount...less then a pea size...of pearl ex. I use a toothpick to do this with. Work quickly and stamp your image into the hot glue. I do this technique on parchment paper so that the hot glue doesn't stick. Give it about 2 min or so and peel the hot glue image off of the stamp. Use the image as an embellishment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

You can also make interesting backgrounds with the Pearl Ex and white glue. Spread the glue, sprinkle with different colors of Pearl Ex, mix it around with a stipple brush, then dry it with a heat embosser.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

The resources section of Splitcoast has six tutorials using Pearl-Ex.
Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers
Scroll down the page to the P's.
Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I use the small mister bottle of hairspray and Pearl Ex quite frequently for backgrounds on paper, acetate and use it with stencils. I have poured white school glue into a pill bottle, added Pearl Ex, mixed it up and instant shimmery paint. Also, using scor tape, I cut enough for my project with just a tad extra, leaving the liner on the back, coated the sticky side with Pearl Ex until it was well and evenly covered, peeled off the liner and instant matching ribbon. I mix it with sun catcher paints to glitz up my acetate butterflies too. Lots of uses and fun to play with but don't sneeze around it (ask me how long that took to clean up!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2009, 02:22 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up thank you

Thanks to all of you who responded. I am very anxious to play with it, it has such beautiful vivid colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2009, 02:39 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm pretty sure that if you mix it with a little Gum Arabic powder and a touch of water it turns into a shimmery paint, which you can apply with a paint brush, on glossy paper you emboss it and if you water it down even more you can spray it and it's like glimmermist. I think the Gum Arabic Powder is what makes it permanent, sort of like a binding agent.

On dark c/s you stamp your image with versamark ink and then brush over with pearl ex and set with hairspray so it does't rub off.

It's been years since I have done this but I bough Gum Arabic with it because it was a "must have" try and google
good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2009, 06:37 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I actually prefer Pearl Ex and still use it as opposed to the new stuff out there. The tutorials section is great here for uses on it and you're just going to love it! I wish that SU still made this stuff and fortunately, I think I have enough left to last me for a lifetime...I hope. Have a blessed day.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2009, 07:47 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I also use pearl ex by mixing it with Su dye re-inkers and some Ceramcoat varnish. It makes a great paint for almost any surface and is sealed automatically. I love making wood frames with this technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

subscribing...
Gourmet Play Food Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Pearl Ex is still available. SU didn't make it, it just sold selected colours of it for awhile, like it does with lots of popular products for papercrafting.
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/pearlex/
for 'all about' pearl ex.

edited to add: thanks for this topic! I looked up the website, I've never seen it before. What a lot of good stuff there! I'm going to be busy reading and doing, I think. Must use more of that Pearl Ex that I bought two years ago.

Last edited by vanislandwoman; 08-30-2009 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: additonal thought
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I put a couple of spritzes of hair spray on my craft sheet, and add just a very small amount of pearl ex and mix. Then I can paint or color anything I want, and the hairspray works as a fixative. I love this stuff too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2009, 05:51 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I recently did a blog post on PearlEx. Click here to view it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2009, 03:19 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Another great product from Jacquard is Perfect Pearls. It is like Pearl-ex, but the binder is in it and you don't have to use hair spray or any other sealant. It comes in a set with four jars of the powder, two brushes, and a small cube of Perfect Medium to apply to your stamp. You can purchse large pads of the Perfect Medium in clear or dark for dark papers separately. These are available at Michael's, JoAnn's and I think Hobby Lobby might have them. There are a few different sets to choose from made up of different colors of powder.

I've been using them for years and love the results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie_girlView Post
I'm pretty sure that if you mix it with a little Gum Arabic powder and a touch of water it turns into a shimmery paint, which you can apply with a paint brush, on glossy paper you emboss it and if you water it down even more you can spray it and it's like glimmermist. I think the Gum Arabic Powder is what makes it permanent, sort of like a binding agent.

On dark c/s you stamp your image with versamark ink and then brush over with pearl ex and set with hairspray so it does't rub off.

It's been years since I have done this but I bough Gum Arabic with it because it was a "must have" try and google
good luck
It works. When everyone thought that Luminarte was going out of business I did some research on how to make my own twinkling H2O's. I found that when you use it with gum arabic it does mix up just like the H2O's and I had the whole set of pearlex already so I found some containers and mixed up a whole set of my own for a fraction of the cost and have enough gum arabic left over to make probably 2 or 3 more sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

One of my favorite things I did recently with Pearl-ex was to rub versamark ink onto a piece of dark cardstock. Then I swiped different colors of pearl-ex across the versamark. Then I inked a stamp with versamark and stamped it over the pearl-ex. When you lift the stamp, you lift off the pearlex leaving a silhouette image...really neat effect! Here is one of my cards I made using that technique: CAS27 PearlEx Tree by pbvkt at Splitcoaststampers

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #21  
BSD
Matboard Maniac

Katie,
What a pretty card, I just purchased some pearlex at a yard sale, I must try your technique. Thanks!
Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSDView Post
Katie,
What a pretty card, I just purchased some pearlex at a yard sale, I must try your technique. Thanks!
Barb
Thanks Barb! I had a lot of fun doing this technique the other day....I cut a bunch of rectangles and played with swiping down different colors of pearl ex before I stamped. Have fun with your pearlex powder!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

This topic is perfect for me today. I have 50 sheets of paper to decorate (then cut) for wedding favours. I started using perfect pearls because of the binder but quickly ran out with such a tiny jar. I didn't know gum Arabic came powdered so I can make my own Perfect Pearls with Pearl Ex ( huge jar compared) I already have! Now to find powdered gum Arabic!!... In Canada!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 518 Likes on 288 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie_girlView Post

good luck
I LOVE using the versamark and pearl ex on black paper! It pops right out when you brush the powder over the versamark!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
This topic is perfect for me today. I have 50 sheets of paper to decorate (then cut) for wedding favours. I started using perfect pearls because of the binder but quickly ran out with such a tiny jar. I didn't know gum Arabic came powdered so I can make my own Perfect Pearls with Pearl Ex ( huge jar compared) I already have! Now to find powdered gum Arabic!!... In Canada!
Any art supply store will have gum arabic in either powder or liquid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Another method for the pearl Ex is to purchase travel size hairspray and add about a 1/8 to a 1/4 to the hairspray bottle. Shake it up well and then you can spray your card for an all over glitter effect. Make sure you label the hairspray bottle with which color Pearl Ex you used. This is good to do to make sure you don't accidentally use it on your hair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #27  
Glitter Queen

Another method: Use transparency sheet, stamp image with Staz-on, run the transparency through a Zyron machine so the sticky side is on the backside not the side you stamped on. Carefully pull off the protector sheet, and use a Q-tip applicator or small paint brush to add color in the image with Pearl-Ex. Love the stuff...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow! Wonderful info on using Pearl-Ex. Another reason I can't get enough of SCS!! LOL. I recently purchased some and in a small container mixed a very small amount with some clear embossing powder to create a color of embossing powder to coordinate with my project. Loved the result!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2011, 02:51 PM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Default 1/8 to 1/4 ??? of the bottle?

Does anyone know what the measurement amount it? is it 1/4 of the bottle or a quarter teaspoon. I'm confused. thanks for the help...sounds great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenoullaView Post
Another method for the pearl Ex is to purchase travel size hairspray and add about a 1/8 to a 1/4 to the hairspray bottle. Shake it up well and then you can spray your card for an all over glitter effect. Make sure you label the hairspray bottle with which color Pearl Ex you used. This is good to do to make sure you don't accidentally use it on your hair

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...&ppuser=235889
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

I would use the measurement as 1/8 to 1/4 of a teaspoon. It would take way too much PearlEx to do 1/8 to 1/4 of the hairspray bottle, and then the mixture would be way too thick to come out the sprayer. Good luck! Let us know how it works for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you for reviving this thread - I have some, never knew what to do with it... now it'll be a technique with the kids for Christmas cards
Reply With Quote Likes