Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making your own envelopes..HELP?? please

Hi All..Happy Valentine's Day!!

I found a template for making your own envelopes, and was just curious what type of paper and/or cardstock others might use?? I tried making a couple with just plain S-UP cardstock that I had on hand, and they make up nicely, but are kind of "heavier" than what need be for an envelope (that most people are just gonna pitch!!)..I would rather SAVE my cardstock for the card and use something a little less expensive for the envelope, if you know what I mean?? ( I'm cheap I guess...or maybe frugile??)

Actually just plain 'ole copy paper worked pretty darn good, and I do have some printed paper (various brands) that would look cool made up.

Just curious if you had any other suggestions or recommendations...THANKS for the help. Take care,

Jo :mrgreen:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

I would love to have the envelope template. I too am frugal and would probably use copy paper which you can get in colors if you want something other than white. L
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I use old calendar pics....you cut them and angle them to use the most stunning part of the pic as the front of the envie....they are freebies cause you have the calendars anyway!?!?!?! Then you simply use a small white label to address the front. They are fabulous envies. I've also used remnant wrapping paper. Same concept. DP also works but is more costly since the others are used with left over things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkellyView Post
I would love to have the envelope template. I too am frugal and would probably use copy paper which you can get in colors if you want something other than white. L
I found directions at the Scor-Pal website. Easy peasy!! Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I use freezer wrap and crumpled tissue paper.(The tissue can be stamped first also, if you want it printed) You can use white or colored tissue , depending on which looks best to match your card.
Crumple the tissue tightly, then press it out with your hands ,to uncrumple it ,and iron the tissue onto the waxy side of the freezer wrap,(this gives the envelope a "homemade-paper-look".) Cut to desired size and glue your envelope together.
The tissue side can be used as the outside of the envelope or the inside as a "surprise" when it is opened, esp if it is stamped.
I make them to match whatever color my card is, put the print on the inside, then stamp a bit on the outside of the envelope, cut the flap with deco scissors and either stamp or sponge color along the edge of the flap (sometimes both)
I`ve had a lot of compliments on these envelopes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampit3dView Post
I use freezer wrap and crumpled tissue paper.(The tissue can be stamped first also, if you want it printed) You can use white or colored tissue , depending on which looks best to match your card.
Crumple the tissue tightly, then press it out with your hands ,to uncrumple it ,and iron the tissue onto the waxy side of the freezer wrap,(this gives the envelope a "homemade-paper-look".) Cut to desired size and glue your envelope together.
The tissue side can be used as the outside of the envelope or the inside as a "surprise" when it is opened, esp if it is stamped.
I make them to match whatever color my card is, put the print on the inside, then stamp a bit on the outside of the envelope, cut the flap with deco scissors and either stamp or sponge color along the edge of the flap (sometimes both)
I`ve had a lot of compliments on these envelopes.
Oh my gosh!! What a NEAT idea!! I would never have thought of this, but am definitely going to give it a try!! THANKS so much!! for your help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2010, 05:34 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also use double sided print paper so that the paper can coordinate with the design on your card.

I also agree with using the instructions on the Scor-Pal website for hand making envelopes.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a fantastic EASY envelope tutorial - NO measuring required!

I mostly use the pattern paper that comes in those big stack packs they sell at Hobby Lobby and Joanns. You can put the white outside and the pattern inside and it makes really cute envelopes in a jiffy.

http://scrapinator.blogspot.com/2009...-envelope

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post

I mostly use the pattern paper that comes in those big stack packs they sell at Hobby Lobby and Joanns. You can put the white outside and the pattern inside and it makes really cute envelopes in a jiffy.

http://scrapinator.blogspot.com/2009...-envelope.html
Me, too, on the use of paper from stacks. If you have it, you know there are more sheets than you'll ever use.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
Me, too, on the use of paper from stacks. If you have it, you know there are more sheets than you'll ever use.
That's so true. When I first started papercrafting, I bought those stacks every time they were on sale some place. I have so many of them. I go through and use the patterns that I really like for cards (and there are usually some really appealing ones.)

But it's amazing how a pattern I would never ever use for a card can make a really pretty envelope when the pattern is inside the envie.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallnPetalView Post
I use old calendar pics....you cut them and angle them to use the most stunning part of the pic as the front of the envie....they are freebies cause you have the calendars anyway!?!?!?! Then you simply use a small white label to address the front. They are fabulous envies. I've also used remnant wrapping paper. Same concept. DP also works but is more costly since the others are used with left over things.

Awesome idea! Now I'm ill over all the beautiful calendars I've thrown away - not anymore, though ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

marking a spot to come back and read this again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I checked this out and Oh My Gosh..these envelopes are really SUPER fast and EASY to make without any fussy cutting, measurements to remember, etc...I'm hooked!! Thanks for passing it on...no more buying envelopes for this 'ole gal We have no Hobby Lobby or Michael's where I live, but will try to remember other suggestions people have recommended here..thanks ALL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoAnneyView Post
I checked this out and Oh My Gosh..these envelopes are really SUPER fast and EASY to make without any fussy cutting, measurements to remember, etc...I'm hooked!! Thanks for passing it on...no more buying envelopes for this 'ole gal We have no Hobby Lobby or Michael's where I live, but will try to remember other suggestions people have recommended here..thanks ALL!!
I looked at that blog last night myself and LOVE the instructions too... I never thought of an envelope having a side opening! But, I get them at work all the time! Go figure!!! Thanks again for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbwire802View Post
I looked at that blog last night myself and LOVE the instructions too... I never thought of an envelope having a side opening! But, I get them at work all the time! Go figure!!! Thanks again for sharing.
I just folded the sides in FIRST (vs. directions she used) and than folded up the bottom first over the sides, and last the top flap down. I DID have to cut a little off the TOP flap (the way I'm folding mine, anyway) as it was just too long...but if doing it the way she explained, you wouldn't want to do so.

I like that you can use them either way with just a little "tweeking"...and NO templates needed...SO EASY and FAST!!! Easy Peasy as she said!! Perfect envelope for ANY size card you make...LOVE IT!! hahaha

Have fun making the envelopes...I sure AM!!! :-D
Take care....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2010, 06:57 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thanks so much for sharing this easy peasy envie template!
Reply With Quote Likes