Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2018, 05:36 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat embossing question

Hi my heat embossing gun died (as i was about to use it)
Anyway im wondering can u stamp something then put heat embossing powder on it and heat it in a few days time?

Im just wondering cos i have some stamping done and ready but cant heat till the tool comes i actually paid more for Express post so i can get it quicker!!
Cos honestly i have cards due and i finally got to stamp it and the thing dies!!

It stunk im so glad my husband was here cos i wouldn't of been able to take out of the powder

Thanks for advice

I decided not to do any more until i hear from someone that i can do this or tool comes whatever happens first i know u cant knock the powder off but wondering if u stamped put on powder and then left it for a couple of days would it still work?

Thanks!!

From Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It's going to be really hard to say, I know I have left powder on for a few hours before now, and it's embossed ok, but I'd really say just hold off until you get the gun. I also think things like temperature/humidity will play a part, as well as the ink and cardstock used. So many variables. If the ink used was a pigment ink of some sort, then I think the chances of it working will be improved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I had a heat gun I used my toaster or similar heat source to melt my embossing powder. Put the card stock above the heat source and it should melt the powder. Did a lot of graduation cards. Was soooo glad when I got the heat tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

You're really better off waiting until you have a heat tool. Inks can vary in the time that they are tacky enough to hold embossing powder. Even if just little portions of the powder 'unstick' ... you'd be sad with the results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
It's going to be really hard to say, I know I have left powder on for a few hours before now, and it's embossed ok, but I'd really say just hold off until you get the gun. I also think things like temperature/humidity will play a part, as well as the ink and cardstock used. So many variables. If the ink used was a pigment ink of some sort, then I think the chances of it working will be improved.
It was actually versamark cos im using glow in the dark embossing powder from lawn fawn making the outside of dinosaurs glow in dark and inside of them coloured in

I paid more for express post its supposed to be here today so heres hoping!
Id already stamped and put the powder on i used bristol smooth cardstock it works great with my zig brushables

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2018, 05:04 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Technically you don't need ink to melt embossing powder just heat but something sticky like ink keeps it in place so it doesn't blow away until the powder melts. This being said when you heat the ones already done be sure to:

1 pre-heat your heat gun
2 heat from the bottom first to help prevent powder from blowing away.
3 move to top after everything starts getting glossy

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I agree about waiting bc it is SO easy to knock off some of the powder and even if you have a versamark pen to do touch ups, it never looks exact when I do it anyway. So dont do more cards until you have it imo.

If you can truly isolate the card...maybe.

You can brush it off and stamp again, just fyi. But be careful bc if your ink is still wet you could smear it and then the redust of powder could be in places you dont want it. Been there done that. Make sure the ink is dry first.

Now...I have not tried this with a MISTI but if you have one....it might help you to redo it exactly where the stamp was if you have to redo a section. Just ink the one section -use the pen if you have it.

Have you used that EP before? -does it really glow in the dark well?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

All you really need is heat - people used lightbulbs and toasters before the crafting companies got wise and made special gadgets for it. I'd heat-set it now, using one of the old school methods. If you do wait, apply the heat to the back so the air flow doesn't blow away all your powder.
Reply With Quote Likes