Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heat embossing problem - does this ever happen to U??

Hello. I can't figure this out, but was wondering if any one else has the same problem as I do.

When ever I go to heat set using my heat gun, my paper curls up or gets warped.... I've tried to hold the tool farther away, but for some reason it still does it???

Can someone give me any advice or tips on how to keep this from happening??

Thanks so much!!

shaunna
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

It might help to flatten your paper out again if you heat gently from the back as well once your design is fixed. Your paper is curling because you're evaporating off any moisture in there and sometimes heating more evenly can help to fix that.

The other thing is to put it under a couple of big books after you finish heating and leave it there for 10 minutes while you get a cup of coffee - usually works for me!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

You can try covering a board, thick cardboard, etc with aluminum foil...this sometimes helps with the curling...the foil will heat up and help the paper lie more flat...also, you can use a finished tile, like a 6 x6 or larger tile...just remember, it does get hot...so be careful...also, some cardstocks will just curl, it can be the cheaper ones and sometimes ones with a certain texture...and sometimes colored cardstocks will change colors, most will go back to the original color after they cool...but we had some one time...that never changed back...it was kinda cool...but weird...
Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

I've experienced this as well. I've noticed this mostly happens to lightweight card stock though, or regular paper (I think it may have something to do with the embossing powder warping the paper when it melts). The heavier the card stock, the less likely it'll warp.

Like everyone else said though, you can fix a warped project by simply flattening it beneath a heavy object.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiesdiecutsView Post
You can try covering a board, thick cardboard, etc with aluminum foil...this sometimes helps with the curling...the foil will heat up and help the paper lie more flat...also, you can use a finished tile, like a 6 x6 or larger tile...just remember, it does get hot...so be careful...also, some cardstocks will just curl, it can be the cheaper ones and sometimes ones with a certain texture...and sometimes colored cardstocks will change colors, most will go back to the original color after they cool...but we had some one time...that never changed back...it was kinda cool...but weird...
Debbie

I use a tile underneath my paper. I've actually accidently melted part of my stamping surface before I started using my tile.
Proud mom of 2 soldiers-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your problem with paper curling while/after heat embossing is due to using a low grade paper. Try using at least a 24# paper and or a better quality paper. It will also make your finished project look nicer.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 05:54 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I think your problem with paper curling while/after heat embossing is due to using a low grade paper. Try using at least a 24# paper and or a better quality paper. It will also make your finished project look nicer.

Patti
I agree!

I still use some cheap stuff I have for awhile...I just heat the back it flattens right out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you everybody - you know to be honest, I don't think I've payed any attention to the weight of my paper.... I have cheap stuff and I have not-so-cheap stuff, but I would have to guess, I mostly use the cheap stuff - especially when I'm embossing my cards and save my other for my scrapbooks. Sometimes I just save it and dont use it - it's like I'm afraid to use it for some reason or another... like it has some secret special purpose!! (besides collecting dust ) I've only embossed on cards and not my scrapbook pages (and i don't have a reason for that, just haven't done it :-D ) The last paper I used though was SU naturals white, which I consider to be among my more expensive???? Probably "operator error" as my husband tells me when I'm on the computer...
I'll try the tiles and foils tricks and play around with my papers. I'll have to devote time for doing just that and not try it when I'm needing to finish something fast!! My "craft room" is in the un-finished portion of our basement, but my husband "finished" a section of it for me to have my own space in, so I could try just wheeling my chair out to the concrete floor part and laying my paper on that too??!! It may work??!!! Hey - I might get some excercise while I'm at it too!!!!!!!!!! Now wouldn't that be something....... we may be onto something here!:mrgreen:

Thanks so much for all your help and advice.....I'll let you know what the results of my experiments are.. I also read on here somewhere on another thread, something about embossing in the oven on a low temperature. Has anyone ever tried it?? That would be a quick way to get alot done at once if you needed to!!!

Thanks again, and blessings to each of you! I hope you have a WONDERFUL weekend,

Shaunna
Reply With Quote Likes