Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-29-2011, 05:25 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation glue question and frustration

i am totally new to this site. i used to do paper scrapbooking, now i just do the occasional card. recently people have encouraged me to sell, so i want to perfect a few things.

i did little ghirardelli candy holders for our thanksgiving table and had a heck of a time getting the glue to hold the little fold over. a roll on tape permanent hold thing, i would come back the next day and they would be popped apart. so on the next ones i purchased some roll on power hold. same thing. what is the deal with those things? they hold flat papers together beautifully. if they made the glue sticks pencil width, that may hold better, but the reg. width glue stick is too wide. i even tried really rubbing the heck out of the glue line with the bone folder to get a really get stick, still came apart.

my daughter loved these and wants them for table favors for her wedding. but the idea of doing 250 wedding themed ones and not having the glue hold would be maddening.

so, my new friends, brands you swear by? tips? someone has asked me to do this for a dinner auction for valentines, but i have to get this glue issue figured out.

thanks,
lori
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Hi Lori & welcome!

For 3D items, I find it's better to use a strong, double sided adhesive tape rather than an inline adhesive - it just holds better. I haven't found a glue stick that does the trick for 3D. If you're patient enough for a liquid glue, that would work too.

I've switched to liquid glue for most things - even flat cards - for this reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Lydia's suggestions are very good. I'd like to add Glue Dots as an option too. They are super strong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 06:21 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Default glue dots

glue dots, as the kind that roll on? or the kind used for doing baskets. i used those doing dinner auction baskets to get things to stick together and stay arranged in the basket. they worked well but were probably close to 1/2 inch in diameter. do they make glue sticks thin like a pencil---that would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made luminaries that were basically cubes with flaps. I used Zots Glue dots and they held very well. They were something like this but I don't think mine has the thermo web listed on them. They come in different sizes. Mine were the smallest but I don't have them in front of me as I type to confirm the size. I hope this helps:

Thermoweb 3/8''x1/64'' Zots Adhesive Dots - 200PK/Removable : mounting tape & dispensers : scrapbooking adhesives : scrapbooking : Shop | Joann.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 06:37 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Also, I have the Pink ATG and I use tape from The Tape Depot in it. I find it strong enough to hold boxes together as well. I actually used the ATG on the large flaps on my luminaries and the Zots Dots on the small corner flaps that needed to be secured.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Default GLUE

ok, after work, i am buying glue dots. well, in fact i may buy a cart of glue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lori92760View Post
ok, after work, i am buying glue dots. well, in fact i may buy a cart of glue!
I've seen them referred to many times as "snot dots" ... because that's what they look like on the sheet ... little boogers LOL! Happy shopping :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

And back to a serious note, I was new to glue dots just a month or so ago. I watched a tutorial on Youtube related to something else and they used glue does. The demonstrator used tweezers to get the dots off the sheet quite easily. I don't have a decent set of tweezers yet but my stylus worked just as well to pop it off and place it on the item.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Exclamation glue dots

oh dear, i was thinking the glue dots that you roll on. i need the peel off one by one kind?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

i've been using hot glue for 3d items, for the same reason, did lots of sour cream for halloween and they all opened up by the time the festival started. I use hot glue now and just make sure candies inside are wrapped
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I have never had a problem using Scortape or redline tape, and also had great success with Heidi Swapp Scrappy glue (it is a liquid glue, so you just need to hold it for a few seconds while it sets up - once it is set up, it is good to go). I made a ton of 3-d items last year for a show and didn't sell them all. I saved them for this year, and when I pulled them out, not one had opened up or come unglued.

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Default hot glue

oh your poor fingers. i love my glue gun, but i have some war wounds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I've never used the roll on glue dots. I would think it be hard to control where they started and stopped. The ones I had came on a roll, two dots side by side or something like that. If you used them to put a bow on a card, you could take the bow, press it against the dot, and then it comes off the carrying sheet attached to the bow and ready to stick on the card. I had a tight corner to get mine into so the stylus worked better for me to take them to the paper as opposed to me trying to take the paper to the sheet. That probably sounds as clear as mud LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

From my experience, PK Glitz double sided tape, ScoreTape or Terrifically Tacky Tape are the only way to go when making 3-D boxes and such. Never had one come apart using these products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

In my experience...red line tape or scortape for a dry adhesive and scrap happy glue for a wet adhesive...bonus...scrap happy glue also dries tacky so you can make your own glue dots. The only thing with a wet adhesive is that you have to hold it down for a few seconds before you move on to the next one. Would really love to see finished pics of your project...hope all our advice is helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Candy wrappers I use Red Line tape, hot glue or double sided tape you find in hardware.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 03:59 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Default glue

I use a product called Yes. It is a glue like paste that I paint on my cards with a brush. Have had very good luck with it. It is available at Micheals. A jar of it goes a long way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Tombow for cards and scrapbooking - it is a great adhesive and inexpensive. DS tape rollers just got too expensive for me for personal and workshop use. Scor-tape is terrific. Glue dots a must. Crystal Effects, Glossy Accents the very best for things like rosettes and difficult pieces.

Love all the suggestions...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Can't go wrong with scor-tape - It really holds. And the best thing about it is that it tears, you do not have to get your scissors sticky cutting it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I had done 300 Sour Cream Containers for my daughters school class parties... (Three girls in three different grades) I had used my atg gun...All 300+ came undone by the next morning...I ended up using redliner tape to re-do them...It worked but it was EXTREMELY expensive b/c each roll only had 5yrd and I roll only got me through about 1 dozen containers. So I NEEDED like 25 rolls of redliner tape. I so after discovered Score-Tape...Better Savings and similar results...I LOVE it...However still expensive for MASS Producing that many JUST for KIDDOS to rip up and tear into...don't you think...So this year I used a hot glue gun...Worked great and I think it was a better savings.
Blessings,
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'd vote for either red line (with a coupon, of course!) or scor tape (if you have a close Archivers they usually have it there and they have coupons too) for fast/dry adhesive. Glue Dots are also a good choice - actually I have something called glue lines - same idea as dots, just in lines. One size you cut yourself, the other in 1 inch pieces.
I would also suggest if you have the time/inclination to use Glossy Accents (Mike's or HL with a coupon). Liquid glue doesn't set as quickly, but it sure does the trick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Patski...Can you please share how you "paint" the YES! paste? I have this but it is SO THICK...I tried to"paint" it with both a brush and foam...How do you do it? I'm sorry but I am such a visual/hands on person.
Valerie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

I am just getting back into paper crafts after almost 8 years so A lot of the products are new and confusing to me....but I saw something the other day that might help you.

I was watching some videos on michaels craft website(I think) and they "made" glue dots....you could use the same pruduct to put the adhesive where you want ti and it should hold...they used it to make and hold together a big flower out of ribbon

Tried to find the video for link...but can't. but I think the product they used was "Arleene's tack it over and over" they made a dot how big and the shape they wanted on a plastic type sheet (silicone sheet, or parchment paper or maybe acetate would likely work) and when they dried clear they were still really stickey and held a ribbon flower together and onto a card.

it would be worth a look/try then they would be the size and shape you needed good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Default glue dots

i bought a dot runner, thingy and that works pretty good. i also bought a roll of glue dots. oh my garsh you have to have awfully good eyes to see those on the roll. when i could see one and catch it, it worked awesome. am i the only one who cant see these little boogers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

i am totally new to this site. i used to do paper scrapbooking, now i just do the occasional card. recently people have encouraged me to sell, so i want to perfect a few things.

i did little ghirardelli candy holders for our thanksgiving table and had a heck of a time getting the glue to hold the little fold over. a roll on tape permanent hold thing, i would come back the next day and they would be popped apart. so on the next ones i purchased some roll on power hold. same thing. what is the deal with those things? they hold flat papers together beautifully. if they made the glue sticks pencil width, that may hold better, but the reg. width glue stick is too wide. i even tried really rubbing the heck out of the glue line with the bone folder to get a really get stick, still came apart.

my daughter loved these and wants them for table favors for her wedding. but the idea of doing 250 wedding themed ones and not having the glue hold would be maddening.

so, my new friends, brands you swear by? tips? someone has asked me to do this for a dinner auction for valentines, but i have to get this glue issue figured out.

thanks,
lori
Avoid touching the areas where the adhesive will be applied...the oils in your skin greatly affect the 'sticking' powder of an adhesive. Glue stick should be applied in a thin, even coat...there may have been too much applied. You were correct in burnishing; all adhesives requrie burnishing. If there was tension at the are where the layers were adjoined, clamping the areas together overnight helps greatly. Maybe a paperclip would hold the edges together...?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

oh dear, i was thinking the glue dots that you roll on. i need the peel off one by one kind?

Lori,

Really, the Zot Glue Dots are a great product. Lots of times you can just unroll the reel and "roll" the dot onto your project. When you go to the store, just open a box [carefully...LOL] and peek inside. You'll see what we mean. They are super sticky and come in sizes from "mini" which I use with "Dew Drops" up through, Small, Medium, Large and 3-D. I think you would really like this product once you start to use it.

Beverly
RavioliGirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

The very best thing I have found to make things stick together is scortape. It is awesome!
It is easy to use - because it is attached to a paper backing,and can be torn with your fingers to the correct size needed. Red double sided tape is also great, but it must be cut with scissors. Love that Scor Tape!
Reply With Quote Likes