Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Frames/Square or Rectangle Cutting

Is there a tool to cut a square or a rectangle piece out of the front side of a piece of cardstock? I have a circle cutter and an oval cutter, both work fine but there are times when I would really like to have a square hole or a rectanglular hole. I'm not talking about a tiny hole, I mean a hole that is perhaps 3 x 3 or maybe 4 x 5 inches. The hole would "frame" the stamped item that would be mounted behind. Anyone know of such a cutter?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2007, 02:24 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

The only thing I can think of is perhaps a coluzzle template
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2007, 04:28 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Question ...and speaking of cutting

Can anyone recommend to me one of those fansy cutting machines like cuttlebug or what's the other one called?

Also I suspect that everything is optional - what are all the various items one must purchase separately.

Thanks,
Deborah
http://deedeenetblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by fool for stampin'
Is there a tool to cut a square or a rectangle piece out of the front side of a piece of cardstock? I have a circle cutter and an oval cutter, both work fine but there are times when I would really like to have a square hole or a rectanglular hole. I'm not talking about a tiny hole, I mean a hole that is perhaps 3 x 3 or maybe 4 x 5 inches. The hole would "frame" the stamped item that would be mounted behind. Anyone know of such a cutter?
I do it the old fashioned way. Trace the hole and using very sharp pointy scissors, poke a starting hole and then carefully cut it out. If there's a better way, I haven't discovered it and I've made about 50 of these frames. I always cut it a slightly smaller than the hole and then sand the excess away when I am done.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I use a Wizard die cut and embossing machine. Spellbinders also make templates of various shapes that can be used to cut frames into cards to make windows.

However, to make a square or rectangular opening is even easier. Just use your paper trimmer and cut out the square or rectangle. Start the blade where you want the window to start and cut down to where you want the window to end. Then turn the card around and cut out the other sides in the same way. Voila! You have your window. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Wink Square & Rectangular Frames

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions, and also for the names of the tools you use. I have tried the pointy scissors and self cutting, the sides aren't perfect, I'm in too big a hurry I think. And I've tried the paper cutter blade, this works well.........if I stop where I'm supposed to stop! Wish I could just twitch my nose like Samantha and presto............my frame is cut! I do like a double or matted frame a lot, but that means lots of cutting and lots of patience. Oh Samantha, lend me your twitchy nose!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

I do it the old fashioned way also. I use a trace and ruler and knife. It works fine for me. If the edges should be a little off I can usually disguise these by adding peel off boarders to the edges. It also adds a decorative effect.
Suzzie.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2007, 05:32 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I use a Sizzix die in my Cuttlebug and it works great. You are, however, restricted in the size of paper you run through the machine. Mostly that's not an issue, but if it is, I go way back to basics.

I get out my self healing cutting mat with the ruler markings on it, carefully place my paper or cs to align with the rules, then grab my craft knife (always keep a very sharp blade in it) and my steel ruler and cut away the center. Works like a charm and you get nice straight lines.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2007, 07:49 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

For the "old fashioned" way, might I suggest a clear, heavy acrylic quilter's square ruler. They are marked with a grid. This can make aligning things easier. I used mine alot before perfect layers came out. Still think it's the best especially with small things to cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by marciad
For the "old fashioned" way, might I suggest a clear, heavy acrylic quilter's square ruler. They are marked with a grid. This can make aligning things easier. I used mine alot before perfect layers came out. Still think it's the best especially with small things to cut.
I have heard this "perfect layers" mentioned several times. What is it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Depending on the size of the square creative memories have punches that work. I'm sure you could find one around you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

[QUOTE=fool for stampin'] And I've tried the paper cutter blade, this works well.........if I stop where I'm supposed to stop!
Hum, do you have a ruler on your cutter? I use a Fiskars that has the blade running on a slot in the middle of a clear ruler. I just decide how far down to start the cut and use the ruler as a guide and stop at the bottom, also using the ruler as a guide. If you don't have this ruler, then you can always make some pencil lines to tell you where to start and stop the cut. If you plan, you could make the pencil lines cut it away with the waste so you won't have to erase. Otherwise, I would draw the shape on the backside of the card and cut it out with an exacto knife, clear ruler with metal guide and self-healing mat, as other posters have said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Fiskars has a square template. It has several sizes of squares on it. I've used it before to make a square in the middle of a piece of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by fool for stampin'
I have heard this "perfect layers" mentioned several times. What is it?
Perfect Layers is a set of ruler like thingies that have an edge(1/8 inch, etc) that you butt up against the edge of cs layer on top of another. It's the bottom layer that you trim away with a craft knife. I have had some success with these, but don't use them that much. They are in the SU catty I believe. I have found that if the top layer is lightweight, it is difficult to keep the edge of the "ruler" steady on the layer. I had hoped they would work better for photo matting, but the rulers don't tend to really grip the photo. Maybe someone can give me some suggestions of doing a better job with these.
Reply With Quote Likes