Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faux Chipboard Tip

I posted this on the faux chipboard technique challenge but the challege was already over so I thought I would share this here.....

I saw a tip on the creating keepsakes website on how to make faux chipboard. They punch several sheets of cardstock (she uses 9) and then runs them through a xyron and puts them together. I only used 4 sheets of SU cardstock and it came out really nice. I don't have a die cut machine so I used my SU circle punch and made some of the cute giant clippie bookmarks that everyone is making now. It worked great and it is so thick you can hardly bend it (my 5 year old was playing with it so I can really vouch for the sturdiness!) You can put together as many sheets as you want and you don't even have to color it or cover it with patterned paper if you don't want to and it matches perfectly. She also said you can use regular adhesive but I haven't done that yet since I have a little xyron sticker maker and I haven't done anything larger than that yet. I only ran 3 of my four pieces through the xyron and put the 3 together with all the sticky sides facing one direction and then put the 4th on the sticky side that was still facing out, that way I could save a little xyron and didn't have to worry about the piece sticking everywhere. (I hope that makes sense!) I also sanded the edges with my sanding block once I had them all put together to make them look like one piece.

I tried to post a link but it wouldn't let me so it is at creatingkeepsakes.com - community - video gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Question Chipboard

I watched the video but I still do not have a clear understanding of what Chipboard is?
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2007, 06:17 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

chipboard is another name for a paperproduct that is between cardboard and cardstock. it is that thick pad that is on the back of a tablet...or like a jigsaw puzzle piece without the picture.

it has been popular for the past couple of years and comes plain/naked and white typically and you can cover it in patterned paper (using a glue stick) or paint it, ink it, etc. - very versatile and pretty inexpensive.

Other than through SU! there are currently big 'packages' of chipboard to be found in LSS and at your local M's and Joann's either in big sheets that you can run through a die cut machine, or already cut into shapes or alphas in various shapes, sizes and fonts.
SCS member #3312
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2007, 06:52 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Chipboard comes in a variety of thicknesses, I like this technique because you can make it as thick as you want. I tried doing the faux chipboard with cereal boxes etc, but I would always have a hard time covering it completely. Since you can use whatever cardstock you want you don't have to cover it or color the sides to match your project.
Reply With Quote Likes