Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2003, 09:46 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fabric Stampin with SU Craft Pads?

Hi everyone,

I had a customer recently purchase the craft ink pads and she wants more info on using them for fabric stamping. I know that she needs to wash the fabric without any fabric softener and after she stamps to heat set the ink but are they any pointers or tips you may have? I would appreciate it. :lol:

thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2003, 07:10 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Well,

after much investigation lol I have discovered seveal things. The craft pads will fade even if heat set unless you soak the completed (heat set) item in white vinegar for about 2 hours prior to washing them. I also found out that using liquid fabric softener washes out the color faster than the dryer sheets. So, here is what I will be telling my customer:

Ink up the stamp, press firmly on the fabric for at least 20 seconds to make sure the ink is actually penetrating the fabric. Heat set with an iron, then toss intot he dryer for about 15 minutes to assure that item is completely dry. Put in clean basin and cover with white vinegar, let soak for 2 hours, then wash and dry using a dryer sheet instead of a liquid fabric softener
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2003, 03:13 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Deb!! I just found this on Stampin' Discuss...

STAMPING ON FABRICS:

The colors of the Craft inks are less vibrant on fabric than on paper and they may fade slightly on fabrics over time. This is true not only of Stampin� Up�s Craft pads, but of other fabric pads available in the retail market as well. For a more vibrant image, try stamping the same image twice (one on top of the other) very carefully (practice doing this on paper first OR use the Stamp-a-ma-jig). Or outline the stamped image with a Fabrico marker. Here are some important tips to remember when stamping on fabric:

*Craft pigment ink works better than Classic inks.
*Prewash the fabric.
*Tightly woven and smooth-finished fabrics work best.
*Test a small area of fabric first.
*Heat-set immediately after stamping.
*Wash as normal or hand wash, but air or line dry.
*For best results, re-ink pad frequently.

Hope that helps!!
Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2003, 04:47 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2003, 07:17 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What if?

I'm still relatively unimpressed with our Craft Pads, only having purchased 3 of them. I'm curious to know if, when stamping on fabric, if better impressions could be achieved by using the refills, and making a little puddle of the ink onto a plastic plate, then dabbing the ink on with an inexpensive foam brush?

I do appreciate the tips on drip dry, as opposed to machine--that is so good to know!

Also, I'm wondering if anyone else has had trouble embossing with them on paper? I have had difficulty and it seems that if I don't apply EP immediately after stamping, it doesn't stay wet enough to hold the powder . . . I've also found that I get dry spots in some areas of a larger stamp, but over saturation/blobbing on others and it's very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2003, 02:18 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I have only used a couple colors of the craft pads, but I have used them for embossing and have been very pleased. As a scrapbooker, I have to consider whether or not to use them in my scrapbook or run the risk of fading over time.

I have found that I have to use a light touch when inking up my stamps, or they are blobby. Also, stamps with very fine lines/images are not as 'clean' as those bolder images. Must be wetter ink.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. ~Antoine de Saint-Exup�ry, The Little Prince
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2003, 12:14 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Default fabric stamping

Hello (=
Don't forget that if you don't want to stamp directly ON the fabric you can stamp on iron on transfer sheets and then iron it on the the fabric. I've tried both ways. I liked the fact that you get a better image with the iron on transfer sheets. I used craft ink and it did take a LONG time to try on the transfer sheet, so remember that.

As far as craft pads I LOVE them...I have the whole set and don't have any complaints when compairing them to classic. One thing I like BETTER is that the ink cleans off my stamps easier because it stays wetter a little bit longer than the classic.
Reply With Quote Likes