Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know?

I saw, somewhere, a technique where you can cut out a picture from a magazine and use it on a card or layout. The problem I'm having is I can't recall all of the details but I think you adhere the picture to the cardstock using a particular product. Don't know if it's just clear drying glue or a Claudine Helmuth product or something else. Thought I had it saved on my computer but can't find it. If I knew the name for the technique I'd probably be able to find it on line. It may have even been something I saw in Van Stamp News or Rubberstamp Madness. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Looking for it in my magazines is like looking for a needle in a haystack - lol. Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

There is an old metnod for doing this with clear packing tape. You cut your image from the magazine or any image with a lot of color to it. The more color the better. Place a strip of packing tape across image covering all parts. Cut off excess tape. Drop in a bowl of water and wait several minutes. Eventualy the paper from the picture will start to roll off and the color will be left on the tape. You just keep rolling off the paper until it is all gone. Then dry with a cloth and mount to a white card or piece of white cardstock to fit.
This is the only one I know of. It can be a little messy and does best with small images, but they can turn out really nice looking.
:p
Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Wink

Are you talking about transfers or glue ons?
There are lots of ways to do transfers- some require lazer printouts, etc.
Being I too like this kind of art I use PPA (perfect paper adhesive/matte/by USArtquest) to glue on and to seal over lots of pics and 'stuff' on collages. (like Mod Podge)
Here is another favorite of mine: Golden acrylic gel mediums. Put cutout, or ink jet image on waxed or freezer paper and brush the gel over the face of your cutout varying the brush strokes ie: backward/side to side/up and down etc. Put down good thick coats (a foam brush does this well) Let dry. Wash your brush if you want to keep it(!)
Let the gel coated image dry thoroughly- one to several days (touch LIGHTLY to test the dryness) Now soak the image in a basin of water and carefully begin to rub (roll) off the paper on the back of the image. Gently or you will tear the image!
Rinse to remove paper residue and allow to dry.
OK you got me going here.. Here's another: Using Omni-Gel and Magazine pics (glossy) Put down a piece of waxed or freezer paper Apply a first thin coat of Omni-Gel� directly to the image with a nylon brush. Work vertically (up and down), and cover the entire surface plus a little overage past the transfer area, always brushing up and down. Let dry. Note: The thickness of your layers of Omni-Gel. along with temperature & humidity will determine how long each layer of Omni-Gel� will need to dry. The Omni-Gel is completely translucent when it is dry. (it also comes with directions ;)) Apply a second thin coat with nylon brush horizontally or side to side of the first coat. Let dry. Apply a final coat of Omni-Gel going diagonally -top to bottom or at an angle). Let dry completely- overnight is better but at least 6 hours. Trim away extra paper from image leaving a 1/4" border. Place the transfer, image gloss side up, in cold water for about 20 minutes. Take transfer image from water and place image side down on plastic tray. Make sure image is smoothed down and is in contact with tray. If it�s not, the image can and will stretch while removing the paper. Use your finger to roll away the paper from the back of the image- Keep image moist while removing the paper. When most of the paper is gone, use a lint free towel to gently wipe off the rest.
Place on flat surface and allow to dry.
To mount use Omni-Gel� as a glue and paint a thin layer on the flat surface receiving the transfer. For a brush stroke effect, place the Omni-Gel� coated side up, for smoother effect, place Omni-Gel� coated side down.
Press surfaces together eliminating all air bubbles. Use your fingers If there are bubbles you cannot remove prick gently with the sharp tip of a needle and gently smooth.
I personally prefer the acrylic gel medium- it creates a sharper image and is fun to experiment with- like placing half the gelled image on a patterned paper before it is dry) so the image picks up all sorts of interesting things (I like stripes!)
Good luck I hope this is the kind of technique you were looking for.

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow. - Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks. The methods you described might be what I had seen. It was quite a while ago so I don't remember the specifics. I just recall that it was a method of using a magazine image, newspaper image or photo and I think you you coated the whole card front with some kind of medium to make it a permanent part of the card. My brother in law loves old cars and I thought it would be nice to use an old car image I happen to have to make him a birthday card. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Anyone know how to have your image reversed to print?
Reply With Quote Likes