Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 5 1/4 inch square cards... info needed...

OK, I think I am dense here...

I GET that these are lovely, robust sized cards -- very elegant and "in" -- but I am curious about the size of the paper used to make them...

It seems like a lot of "waste" if you are going to make a lot of them.

Can someone talk to me about the best size cardstock to use and how to cut it to not waste so much money... especially if I am going to make a lot of them?

Thanks in advance!

Also -- best place to buy envelopes for this size card?
http://inkingitup.blogspot.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 11:41 PM   #2  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I make square cards of that size that most of the time. However, while I have some SU paper, which is sadly the smaller size - I buy 98% of my paper from my LSS - and it is 12 x 12 paper!!! This way you get two cards per page. Bazzil makes a huge! variety of different colours of heavy card stock - even with a lovely texture to it - much nicer than SU paper , in my opinion. In Canada , at least, it is much cheaper than SU paper, and they have FAR more colours than SU does. As far as most so called designer papers, ( I call them patterned paper ) - almost all of them are also in the 12 x 12 inch size too!

Good luck - hope you have a great LSS near you as I do!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2007, 11:43 PM   #3  
Full of Malarky

PS - My LSS also sell both 5 1/2 envies, as well as 6 x 6 inch envies - so no trouble mailing them either - or finding envies!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 12:47 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I just use the 5 x 11 and then I use the remainder for mats. You could always use scrapbook sized paper if you want two per sheet. S.U. also sells 5 1/2 " envelopes.

LSS sounds good too, but I looked online and they had no cardstock. I tried this link:
http://littlescrapbookshop.com/store/

Is there a better one for shopping in Canada? DO they have retail stores in BC? (20 questions here, hey?) :0) Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 02:00 AM   #5  
Full of Malarky

Yes! In Richmond, just through the tunnel from Delta, at Ironwood Shopping Centre , they have a ( more of a scrapping store ) called Clipper Street... google it for the exact address and phone number - they also have locations in Port Coquitlam and Langley, I think it is. They have TONS!! of 12 by 12 Bazzill coloured cardstock and even more patterned papers - Basic Grey , Cosmo Cricket, Daisy Bucket - well, you name it. They also have brads , tools, classes, - you really need to see it.

In Cloverdale there is a GREAT stamping store ( tons of stamps - Clipper street just carries maybe 12 or so wood mounted - mostly stampendous, and a fair few clear stamps sets. ) By contrast - Country Lane Crafts ( used to be in White Rock ) is now in Cloverdale - they have less cardstock - but all manner of stamps!!! Sale this Sat and Sunday ( again, google for the exact address. ) They have glitter, stamps, - really good prices I think. They close at 5 - so check the times.

Just over the Oak Street bridge - phone and ask for directions, is a smaller LSS called Scrapbook Warehouse. They carry some stamps - Impression Obsession - not sure - as well as clear stamps. Google it too - I know where it is - but can't think of it now. It just under the Oak Street bridge - ask for directions. They have a lot of punches and paper ( But Clipper street had them beat by a mile for coloured Bazzil Cardstock.)

Then there is *I'm Impressed* on Granville Island. Quite a few stamps, it is in the Kids Building (if you know what I mean ! ) not as much paper, but a good variety of stamps...

Another great place for patterned paper is Loomis Arts located on Broadway just east of Granville Street - one block east of Granville if that - on the North side of Granville. They are an art store - so have coloured pencils, punches, some stamps , but mostly lots of patterned paper!! We've got a lot here!!!

And then there is Precious Memories in East Vancouver that others have spoken highly of - but I have not been there myself, so I can't comment!! There is another store - maybe another precious memories store - can't remember - in Langley - not sure where. They have a lot of stamps, I understand... that one I have not been too.

Have fun shopping!

A great online shop for patterened paper is - goggle it - Frantic Stamper - she ships quickly and has great prices!! She has so many things - papers etc etc - have a look. I recommend going to Clipper Street yourself to pick out the colours of bazzil paper yourself though. The colours on the screen are not too accurate.

Hope this was of help!!

Good luck on the hunt.

Last edited by debzi333; 11-23-2007 at 02:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 02:18 AM   #6  
Full of Malarky

PS - that answer as to LSS in the BC area was for twingirls - posted above who lives in Delta. I'm in Metro Vancouver BC.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 05:18 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

I too love square cards but don't make them as much when I want to send alot, because the post office charges more to mail a square card!!! It's because they have to be hand canceled because they "roll" on the automated canceling machine. You might want to check this out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 05:40 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have only made a couple that size. If I make square cards they are usually 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 (got hooked on those from A Muse). They will still fit in an A2 envelope if you don't want to pay extra postage and you can get 2 out of an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper.

Have you checked Paper Zone for the larger sized square envelopes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWheelerView Post
I have only made a couple that size. If I make square cards they are usually 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 (got hooked on those from A Muse). They will still fit in an A2 envelope if you don't want to pay extra postage and you can get 2 out of an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper.

Have you checked Paper Zone for the larger sized square envelopes?
Hi Joyce!
Yeah, Usually I do the smaller size and I have a cool way of adapting an A2 envelope to make them fit nicely (using double sided tape... and sometimes I do a neat little "punchout" trick to make the envelope pretty)

I am NOT thinking of doing a lot to mail -- this is NUTS, but I would like to be able to do some once in a while (I think including a CD would be cool) -- and paper can be a pretty penny!

Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2007, 05:57 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Julie,

I'd be happy to check Paper Zone for you if you want. I'd even pick them up and ship them too you if you were really nice! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2007, 06:30 AM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I think square cards are perfect for wedding cards and they usually go with a gift, I don't mail those. I like that the square lends itself to easily using rings (symbolism) and my Lace templates.

Julie HRR suggested putting them in a regular envie with a piece of crimped cardboard as filler.

Here is a source for clear envies-which are nice if it's a wedding card and also can go thru the mail. I have not ordered from here, got mine from LSS.

Another way to solve envie dilemma is to make your own. Use a square slightly larger than card and 4 circles same diameter as card. Here's an example I did ages ago.

And I prefer using 12 by 12 paper-less waste.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2007, 06:47 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane617View Post
Another way to solve envie dilemma is to make your own. Use a square slightly larger than card and 4 circles same diameter as card. Here's an example I did ages ago.
That should say same diameter as SQUARE!
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I love square cards but use the A2 envelope for the 4 1/2x4 1/2". I would love to know the punch out trick!! There are all kinds of envelope templates out there. I like making my own envelopes, so I use my templates quite a bit.
Greensneakers has lots of templates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 12:47 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mere DeauxView Post
I love square cards but use the A2 envelope for the 4 1/2x4 1/2". I would love to know the punch out trick!! There are all kinds of envelope templates out there. I like making my own envelopes, so I use my templates quite a bit.
Greensneakers has lots of templates.
On the side of the envelope that I am trying to "seal" to prevent slipping around, I first use a small punch and punch out a window all the way through the envelope. Then I use vellum or double-sided paper (usually a scrap from the card) and double-stick tape, to place that paper so it shows through the punch, while also sealing up the strip to make a square that fits the card.

It looks cool, and makes the card secure so it doesn't move around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 04:24 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

OK, the punch out idea is great. I'm headed back to the craft room and make a dozen. I love square cards and it makes me mad that the post office charges extra to mail them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Great Idea Julie. I am going to try that out today. I have made just a few square cards and I would love to make some more. TFS!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes