Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #121  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeCraftView Post
lol. I love the tag channel!

These are a couple of pics I have in my tag box folder.

Yes, I have a folder! I save pics of ideas I see on blogs into tidy little folders. I started this when I found I would not really re-visit my internet faves cuz there were too many! This way, I can click open the folder and see pics.
Unfortunately, I don't always save where I got the ideas. So, if anyone can give credit where it is due for these items, please do!!

Cute tag items. I usually put mine in a bag with a topper, but I like the idea of 'showing' what's in that bag. May have to try that this year!

MY GALLERY
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #122  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default business stuff

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
I also am putting together a spreadsheet to keep track of materials that I purchase and the profits made in the end. I don't remember the formulas for getting spreadsheets to perform calculations, so I'll have to look them up. I'd like the column of material purchases to add a running total, and then I'd like the column for sales to subtract the materials total to indicate the final profit. I'll so some research and play around with it. If I can get it to work out in real life the way it does in my head, I'll share it with y'all.

I made more cloth bags for card sets this morning and last night I made a carrier for cups of Snowman Soup. Pics are on my blog if you'd like to see. It seems kinda funny to post pics here when I already have them posted somewhere ya know?
Your blog has so many good ideas. Your items look fabulous!

I calculate my product costs as I go along. I keep cardstock and papers for which I have paid 30cents or less in a separate pile earmarked as "safe" for craft sale use. Then, when I am using them up, I know the cost for each sheet is no more then 30 cents. When I buy things throughout the year which planning for craft sale use, I write the cost of item on package in Sharpie, write the items bought on a runnign list in a notebook, and store in my craft sale supply storage boxes.

These techniques make it so much easier to tally the cost of an item as I make it. My hubby says the best pricing scheme is to double your costs, then double that amount again to come up with a good retail amount.
I was able to pay some of my tuition last year with proceeds.

This system has taken me about 2 years to perfect. After craft sale season, I keep about $500 at home so I can use it throughout the year for supplies. I bought myself my sizzix bigshot the first year, and this past year bought a cricut (which I have yet to use).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #123  
Stampin' Fool

DEAL ALERTS!

I saw comp books at Walmart yesterday for 50 cents. I am not making them this year though. I do plan to make the mini ones though, so need to watch for the 3-packs at Dollar store.
Also, some dry erase pens in packs of 3 for $1, and good prices on post-it notes.

The other good deal I bought was black staples for 50 cents. I like to use these when I staple toppers but don't want to cover the area with more paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #124  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 804 Likes on 328 Posts

Quote:

I calculate my product costs as I go along. I keep cardstock and papers for which I have paid 30cents or less in a separate pile earmarked as "safe" for craft sale use. Then, when I am using them up, I know the cost for each sheet is no more then 30 cents. When I buy things throughout the year which planning for craft sale use, I write the cost of item on package in Sharpie, write the items bought on a runnign list in a notebook, and store in my craft sale supply storage boxes.

These techniques make it so much easier to tally the cost of an item as I make it. My hubby says the best pricing scheme is to double your costs, then double that amount again to come up with a good retail amount.
I was able to pay some of my tuition last year with proceeds.

This system has taken me about 2 years to perfect. After craft sale season, I keep about $500 at home so I can use it throughout the year for supplies. I bought myself my sizzix bigshot the first year, and this past year bought a cricut (which I have yet to use).
Thank you Diane!! Such good ideas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #125  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

A friend in my blogging group just told me about a clever thing she does at craft fairs. She puts up a sign in her booth/table that reads:
"Yes, you can make it, but will you?"
She said, "It gets a lot of people laughing and then those people who whisper to their buddy or sometimes say out loud "I can make that", it gets them thinking this is true."
Love this - I see a sign being made in my future. My dad makes wooden shelves and all the "Manly men" at the shows tell their wives - I can make that for you. Uh Yeah right sure you can - but will you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #126  
Pearl-ExPert

I love those signs. Its a great idea!

MY GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #127  

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickkitView Post
Love this - I see a sign being made in my future. My dad makes wooden shelves and all the "Manly men" at the shows tell their wives - I can make that for you. Uh Yeah right sure you can - but will you?
Now I'm thinking about signs. In this cute gift shop the other day I saw one that said, "Your husband called and said you could buy whatever you want." Wonder how that would work at a craft fair? Maybe it's not necessary because we don't sell big ticket items??? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #128  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Diane you're so organized! I would love to be able to do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #129  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

A friend in my blogging group just told me about a clever thing she does at craft fairs. She puts up a sign in her booth/table that reads:
"Yes, you can make it, but will you?"
She said, "It gets a lot of people laughing and then those people who whisper to their buddy or sometimes say out loud "I can make that", it gets them thinking this is true."
That's a great idea! Once my neighboring booth has such a sign. I'm thinking of putting one up at my booth this year! I'm so tired of all those ladies who look around and try to take the item apart to figure out how it was made or those who tell their kids "sweetie we can make these this time". If nothing else it'll at least send a sign to all these people that yes we do notice their comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #130  
Polyshrink Goddess

Carole,
re: your spreadsheet. Say you put your costs in column B and what you sold mdse for in Column C and want to know profit/loss in Column D. At some cell in column B (let's say B60) you put in the following =SUM(B1:B59) and hit enter. Same thing with Column C Column D your formula would be =SUM(C60-B60) and enter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #131  
Pearl-ExPert

I once had a lady at a craft sale with a little girl - the girl was looking at one of my comp books and wanted to buy it. The mom told her that it was just a notebook with some paper slapped to it. I heard her and said, well yes but I slapped it on in a very nice way! The mom was shocked that I had heard (well she said it right in front of me) and started to say something, but I wouldn't let her finish. I just gave the girl the notebook because she was sweet and she really liked it and the mom ticked me off. But that really was the only nasty type comment I have had.

I have had people say "oh I could make that" but most times there is someone with them who responds "your house is full of boxes of stuff that you thought you'd make, just buy the thing already". I always laugh at those people.

MY GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #132  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrussomView Post
I have had people say "oh I could make that" but most times there is someone with them who responds "your house is full of boxes of stuff that you thought you'd make, just buy the thing already". I always laugh at those people.
Oh how I would love to have such people
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #133  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biko8666View Post
Carole,
re: your spreadsheet. Say you put your costs in column B and what you sold mdse for in Column C and want to know profit/loss in Column D. At some cell in column B (let's say B60) you put in the following =SUM(B1:B59) and hit enter. Same thing with Column C Column D your formula would be =SUM(C60-B60) and enter.
Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #134  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great ideas ladies thank you for sharing xx jo xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #135  
Matboard Maniac

Default Comp books at Big Lots

The new ad shows them for .39 in store.
http://www.biglots.com/browseItem/sc...-and-more/8602

Lynne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #136  
Stampin' Fool

I found the dry erase pens today.
In the dollar bins at Target, they have a set of 3 mini dry erase pens for $1 or a standard size pack of 2 for $1.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #137  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I found the dry erase pens today.
In the dollar bins at Target, they have a set of 3 mini dry erase pens for $1 or a standard size pack of 2 for $1.
I picked some up at Dollar Tree, yesterday. There are 4 pens in a pack (all black) or 3 pens in red, blue and black. I opted for all black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #138  
Stampin' Fool

I have made a good start on some of my xmas show items.

So far, I have mini glass magnet sets, 450 1 1/4 inch glass magnets, post-it note holders and tic tac snowmen.

I do the magnets and post-its every year, but with different styles. The tic tacs I didn't do last year, but people were asking for them because I did them the previous year.

I need to make more hair clips. A lady came by my house the other day. She had nought some of the clips at my last craft show. Well, she bought 21 sets from me this week. That was kinda cool!

I need to pick up some mini comp books. The large ones don't sell well for me, but I decorate the mini ones and sell in a pack with a mini gel pen.

I don't have any pics posted yet on my web pages, but have taken some. Will try to get to that later this week. The photo taking and uploading is honestly the worst part of making all these crafts!!

What have others done so far?? Anything??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #139  

I've made some baskets out of double sided cardstock, paint chip note pads, gift tag holders, cards, Santa pants treat holder and a lolly wreath. We'll put the wreath up as part of the backboard display, and if someone wants to buy it great! I also sewed up some mini tote bags, that are just the size to hold a set of cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #140  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I have made a good start on some of my xmas show items.

So far, I have mini glass magnet sets, 450 1 1/4 inch glass magnets, post-it note holders and tic tac snowmen.

I do the magnets and post-its every year, but with different styles. The tic tacs I didn't do last year, but people were asking for them because I did them the previous year.

I need to make more hair clips. A lady came by my house the other day. She had nought some of the clips at my last craft show. Well, she bought 21 sets from me this week. That was kinda cool!

I need to pick up some mini comp books. The large ones don't sell well for me, but I decorate the mini ones and sell in a pack with a mini gel pen.

I don't have any pics posted yet on my web pages, but have taken some. Will try to get to that later this week. The photo taking and uploading is honestly the worst part of making all these crafts!!

What have others done so far?? Anything??

My bigger notebooks don't sell as well as the little ones either - not sure I'm buying any more of them - I have a bunch to use up anyway - I guess I'll see how they go.

I thought my 100 or so pebble magnets was CRAZY, you have WAY more than I do. But they are so fun to do, I kind of got lost in doing them - putting the magnets on was the 'hardest' part for me.

I saw y our hair clips on your web page, can you share how you did them? They are really cute. Not sure I will do any put we have some little girls in the family I may make for gifts.

I did get some little hair clips from some site (for free with an order) and they have a place on them to add something to - its a bobbie pin type of hair clip - and they came with little flowers. So I think I will glue them on and sell them - just cause I have them. I didn't even notice them in the package, almost tossed them with the packing.

right now, I only have pebble magnets, some tile magnets and key fobs done. I can't think of anything else I've done.

But this weekend I'm crafting like a mad woman! Its been too hot to do anythign in my house and now its cooling off a bit. I hope to do some notebooks, some pedicuare kits in a tin, sewing kits in a tin of some sort, teacher stuff, start on some coaster calendars and fridge things. Figure out tags and gift card holders too so I can start on them soon. Tags take me FOREVER to do but they sell for me so I need to get some of them done. Hopefully I will have things to share on Monday!

Although I do want to see Batman too!!!

MY GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #141  

Oh Oh hair clips made me remember! lol

I saw these key fobs on a blog that had those rolled or twisted fabric flowers on them. Do y'all think they would sell? Would they be a pain to make? How much would you charge?

Hmmm you may not even know what I'm talking about. I'll go see if I can find the blog and picture to show you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #142  

Whew!! I was running my fingers off trying to find them lol!

Inking Idaho: Convention Team Meeting
scroll down til you see the key thingys. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #143  
Pearl-ExPert

I think they are adorable and she gives instructions. I would think they would sell - I thought about making them myself when i saw them.

MY GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #144  

Quote:

I think they are adorable and she gives instructions. I would think they would sell - I thought about making them myself when i saw them.
Mary, how much do you think we should charge for them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #145  
Pearl-ExPert

I haven't started anything :( I do have a bunch of things left over from last year. So I need to take stock of the inventory and figure out what additional things I need to make.

I made some thanksgiving banners last year and they sold out (well I made only 2 but it feels good to say they "sold out" ) so I'm planning to make some more this time along with some christmas banners. I love making them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #146  
Pearl-ExPert

Diane and Mary, you girls are going at full throttle! I've never ever made anything in the 100s!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #147  
Pearl-ExPert

Well those pebble magnets are just so addicting and easy to do, you lose yourself in them.

Carole - I think on those ribbon/fabric key chains, maybe $5? The other key fobs I did are going to be $5 so those I think I'll price the same. Not sure of the cost though of making but I'm sure it would be less than $2 to make. Haven't used my glue gun forever, will have to see if I even have glue sticks!

MY GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #148  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by smritiView Post
Diane and Mary, you girls are going at full throttle! I've never ever made anything in the 100s!
hahaha
Yes. The 1 1/4" size sells. I have to buy the glass gems at Ben Franklin though as it is the only place I have seen clear ones in that size. That means I have to buy a ton every summer because it involves a trip to Redmond area.
I live just across border of Washington in Canada, so it is a 2 hour trip. We usually go to Seattle area and spend at least one night there. I fit the shopping in while we do some sightseeing.

Last year, I make tons (like over 1000) and sold most of them. They are very good sellers for me. So, I have about 1/2 done so far.

I do5 or 6 shows each fall season. Every weekend is booked for 2 days in November, then I have 1 in October also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #149  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I saw y our hair clips on your web page, can you share how you did them? They are really cute. Not sure I will do any put we have some little girls in the family I may make for gifts.

I did get some little hair clips from some site (for free with an order) and they have a place on them to add something to - its a bobbie pin type of hair clip - and they came with little flowers. So I think I will glue them on and sell them - just cause I have them. I didn't even notice them in the package, almost tossed them with the packing.
They are pretty easy to make but do have a "learning curve" due to the hot glue and precision placing of ribbon. Now, I can easily make 20-30 sets in a night. Your fingers start to hurt from holding the clips open while you adhere the ribbon.

I kind of just played with the ribbon until I got it right, but I know there are alot of tutorials out there. It is important to use grosgrain ribbon styles until you get good at them. The satin ribbons are hard to place befire the glue stiffens. Just google how to make hair clips and you will see lots of different ways to make them.
Here is one I found just now for you: Making Cute Hair Clips + Tutorial � Paperseed

I have seen other hair clips for sale at other craft tables, but they often offer them individually. I like to pair them up for a set.
You would be surprised at all the things that make good embellishments. Just keep your eyes peeled.
TIP: sometimes, I use embellishments from hair clips at dollar store. I just pull them off of the cheap elastics or clips, and hot glue them to the hair clips.
Joann's has a good selection of ribbon notions, and you can get them on ebay too. (My hubby says some poor chinese women must sit all day and tie ribbons so that I can get them cheap. Sad, but probably true).
Or, you can make your own embellishments. I do that too. It depends on my mood. The fun is in the creating, right??!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #150  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

They are pretty easy to make but do have a "learning curve" due to the hot glue and precision placing of ribbon. Now, I can easily make 20-30 sets in a night. Your fingers start to hurt from holding the clips open while you adhere the ribbon.

I kind of just played with the ribbon until I got it right, but I know there are alot of tutorials out there. It is important to use grosgrain ribbon styles until you get good at them. The satin ribbons are hard to place befire the glue stiffens. Just google how to make hair clips and you will see lots of different ways to make them.
Here is one I found just now for you: Making Cute Hair Clips + Tutorial � Paperseed

I have seen other hair clips for sale at other craft tables, but they often offer them individually. I like to pair them up for a set.
You would be surprised at all the things that make good embellishments. Just keep your eyes peeled.
TIP: sometimes, I use embellishments from hair clips at dollar store. I just pull them off of the cheap elastics or clips, and hot glue them to the hair clips.
Joann's has a good selection of ribbon notions, and you can get them on ebay too. (My hubby says some poor chinese women must sit all day and tie ribbons so that I can get them cheap. Sad, but probably true).
Or, you can make your own embellishments. I do that too. It depends on my mood. The fun is in the creating, right??!

Thanks for the info - I'll look at it. I really do have to start looking at things 'in a different way'. I was going through stuff on line, looking at craft sale stuff and displays, etc (killing time while I was doing nothing!) and saw such cute things that they used for their tables, and things that they altered. I need to go to the dollar store and actually think about things there - how can they be reused or used differently.

MY GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #151  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

hahaha
Yes. The 1 1/4" size sells. I have to buy the glass gems at Ben Franklin though as it is the only place I have seen clear ones in that size. That means I have to buy a ton every summer because it involves a trip to Redmond area.
I live just across border of Washington in Canada, so it is a 2 hour trip. We usually go to Seattle area and spend at least one night there. I fit the shopping in while we do some sightseeing.
Ben Franklin is a mile from my home!! We could meet the next time you're here! I guess it would cost you a lot in shipping otherwise I could ship them to you. If you ever need anything shipped from there let me know - I'm always looking for excuses to go there
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #152  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Ben Franklin is a mile from my home!! We could meet the next time you're here! I guess it would cost you a lot in shipping otherwise I could ship them to you. If you ever need anything shipped from there let me know - I'm always looking for excuses to go there
Good idea! I will sned you a private message.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #153  

Do y'all put cards in clear envelops at shows? We were talking about this tonight, we think it's a good idea, but it is an added expense.

I want to share this idea I saw for displaying cards. I'm going to make some of these!!
Stampin' and Scrappin' Val: Jenny and Carol - card making extravaganza!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #154  
Pearl-ExPert

After I finish a card I immediately put it in a clear envelope to avoid the oil from fingers spoiling it and that's also how they go to my shows.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #155  

Quote:

After I finish a card I immediately put it in a clear envelope to avoid the oil from fingers spoiling it and that's also how they go to my shows.
Do you sell them with paper envelopes too?

Marcos sells 50 for $6.00 Does anyone know of a cheaper price?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #156  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I got my clear envelopes from www.clearenvelopesambershaw.com

Free shipping in the US.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #157  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Do y'all put cards in clear envelops at shows? We were talking about this tonight, we think it's a good idea, but it is an added expense.

I want to share this idea I saw for displaying cards. I'm going to make some of these!!
Stampin' and Scrappin' Val: Jenny and Carol - card making extravaganza!
That is a cool way to display cards. I have a card spinner, but this could be a good option for specialty cards or shows when I don't bring the spinner. hmmm...

I always put the card and envelope into a plastic sleeve. I buy them from Clearbags as posted above. I buy 1000 at a time though because I used the same size for multiple craft items also. Even without buying in bulk, I think the added expense is worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #158  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm looking to do the glass cabochon magnets and I'm looking for a good supplier of the glass cabochons and magnets. I'm concerned with buying magnets online without making sure they are going to be strong enough to hold the glass magnet and a paper to the fridge. I've bought some cheapies that won't even hold up a tissue!
Where does everyone go?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #159  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Yes I put the card and the A2 envelope in the clear bag. The envelope costs around $0.06 and the clear bag $0.08. I too buy the clear envelopes from Envelopes -.

The paper envelopes I bought from Paper Zone - 250 for $15.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #160  
Embossing Fanatic

Subbing- thanks for all your input!
Reply With Quote Likes