Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #401  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrussomView Post
The peppermint patties I use are smaller, probably what you used here. I think I had four in my bags and sold them for $1.50. But I was going to put only three in mine too and still sell for that price too. I just ended up putting more in at the last minute.

Is the Reese Cup penguin wrapped then? Like the snowman candy bars. Cute idea to use them (cause I LOVE them!).

When you set up your table, look around your house and you will be surprised what you will find to use. I found a little shelf that I use, tiered food things (like cookie tiers or cake plate). Those things add some height and you can put things no them to display and sell. I had a snowman tray that I never use and brought that and put my snowman candy bars in it all lined up ready to go. Fun Christmas bowls and plates too. Baskets, whatever you have.

And I used boxes under the sheet/table cloth for height too one year. Worked fine. But wrapping it separate works good too (and less pulling on the table cloth).
Thanks for the price and the tips. I will sell them for $1.50. My Penguins can be found right here. I made boy and girl penguins.

I do have a cookie tier and some Christmas baskets. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #402  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

For my display, I used sturdy boxes wrapped in xmas paper to add height to some items. The tablecloth idea doesn't work for me because I have so many items - it actually gave me less space overall.

I agree with raiding your house. I have wire shelves in my kitchen cupboards (small plates sit on top and room under for bowls) that I use every year. Very handy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #403  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeCraftView Post
For my display, I used sturdy boxes wrapped in xmas paper to add height to some items. The tablecloth idea doesn't work for me because I have so many items - it actually gave me less space overall.

I agree with raiding your house. I have wire shelves in my kitchen cupboards (small plates sit on top and room under for bowls) that I use every year. Very handy.
Thanks for the advice. I am really leaning towards the wrapped boxes. I think this will make life easier for me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #404  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yesterday was my first day of three. It was really slow for attendance but I was the only one there with cards. I sold 9 of my regular cards and more than 10 of my special Christmas cards. I came away with over 120.00. Reindeer poop and the wrapped chocolate bars did not go well, but again, it was a slow attendance. Today will be rocking for people I am sure. I sell my cards for $4.00 each and people do not bat an eye, they do ask for multiple pricing and I stand firm at after 10 you get one free.

My set up is not that great for an indoor craft fair. It looks better for my farmers markets. I am sharing an 8 foot table so I am a little crowded but it splits the 168.00 fee in half for the three days and I make good money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #405  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 812 Likes on 332 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorri.V.View Post
Yesterday was my first day of three. It was really slow for attendance but I was the only one there with cards. I sold 9 of my regular cards and more than 10 of my special Christmas cards. I came away with over 120.00. Reindeer poop and the wrapped chocolate bars did not go well, but again, it was a slow attendance. Today will be rocking for people I am sure. I sell my cards for $4.00 each and people do not bat an eye, they do ask for multiple pricing and I stand firm at after 10 you get one free.

My set up is not that great for an indoor craft fair. It looks better for my farmers markets. I am sharing an 8 foot table so I am a little crowded but it splits the 168.00 fee in half for the three days and I make good money.
Oh I like your idea of one free after 10! I'm so happy to hear encouragement about selling cards!!! I have 75 and I worked so hard on them, I sure hope I sell a bunch
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #406  
Matboard Maniac

Default pricing multiple items

My one boutique is a 'home boutique' where several crafters display their things and sell them. There is one central check out so I don't collect money.

Do you have any ideas how I could charge different prices depending on how many items someone buys (for example 3$ each or 2 for $5)? Everything is pre tagged to sell so people ringing up items and collecting money know how much to charge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #407  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My only thought is that you could put a coloured sticky dot next to the price tag on items you're offering at a discount for multiple purchases. As long as your 'checkout operator' isn't too busy, or dealing with too many sellers stuff, or they might resent you for that idea! OR (just had a thought) if you are standing at your stall, you could give the purchaser a little docket of some kind to hand over at the checkout with those particular items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #408  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by imlynneView Post
My one boutique is a 'home boutique' where several crafters display their things and sell them. There is one central check out so I don't collect money.

Do you have any ideas how I could charge different prices depending on how many items someone buys (for example 3$ each or 2 for $5)? Everything is pre tagged to sell so people ringing up items and collecting money know how much to charge.
I might be a little confused by your question - not sure if there was an additional post that might have provided more info... but can't the tag clearly say $3/ea OR 2/$5 so the operator can easily and quickly see that when ringing it up?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #409  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 812 Likes on 332 Posts

Well the big craft show is over, whew! I was absolutely worn out! I gotta say, that everything y'all have been sayin' was so true! Cards did not sell. People wanted cheap things, and snowman Hershey bars sold very well. The college themed post-it note pads sold out and so did the M & M sticks. I made a good bit of money and am now recooperating! lol

Photos of our booth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #410  
FiP
Kookie Creator

"I might be a little confused by your question - not sure if there was an additional post that might have provided more info... but can't the tag clearly say $3/ea OR 2/$5 so the operator can easily and quickly see that when ringing it up?"

Ha Carolyn, smacking myself in the back of the head! So obvious (now!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #411  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiPView Post
"I might be a little confused by your question - not sure if there was an additional post that might have provided more info... but can't the tag clearly say $3/ea OR 2/$5 so the operator can easily and quickly see that when ringing it up?"

Ha Carolyn, smacking myself in the back of the head! So obvious (now!)
OH MY GOSH. You are right and I am soooo stupid to not have thought of this. You girls are the best! Thank you. I think this would work.
Lynne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #412  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by imlynneView Post
OH MY GOSH. You are right and I am soooo stupid to not have thought of this. You girls are the best! Thank you. I think this would work.
Lynne

You've just been crafting too much, eats away at the brain cells!

MY GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #413  
Glitter Guru

Done with my final Christmas show and boy am I glad! I love doing the shows, I love getting ready for them but I am so tired by the end of the day. All I want to do is come home and order in dinner, LOL....but I refuse to, I want to keep all my profits!
I did have a great year this year, did 4 shows, two more than usual and from my experience, I sold a whole lot more than the past few years. Each show I did was better than the one before and even the ones I did before, were better this year. I think it is a sign of the times, people are looking for hand made gifts and of course good prices, LOL. The best news is I found some not Christmas craft shows, that I am going to try this year.Going to try a few and see if they are good too....I know they won't be as good as Christmas shows, but if i can make a few bucks and keep me crafting, then I am in!
How did everyone else's season end up? Are you done, do you have more shows or what?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #414  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm done and I want to find more shows for Spring and some Christmas ones too. I'm going to plan better for 2013, really I am
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #415  
FiP
Kookie Creator

I'm done for this year. Actually sold several dozen cards, which was nice. Sales hardly scratch the surface of what I've spent (heck, what hobby doesn't cost $$), but I've done better this year than last year, and my display continues to improve. I'm going try to be brave enough to approach a couple of shops to sell some of my stuff, and consider doing (at least one) more expensive 'handmade only' market for xmas next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2012, 01:32 AM   #416  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianneoView Post
I'm done and I want to find more shows for Spring and some Christmas ones too. I'm going to plan better for 2013, really I am
I am with you on the planning better. I really do mean it this year!
I found some shows at Craft Shows Page: Search for Craft Shows in your area from Festival Network Online
I went for the free access and found the shows and then with a little google search or facebook search found the people who were running it and contacted them. Try it...I signed up for two March shows and one April one in my area...trying to keep the momentum going!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #417  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiPView Post
I'm done for this year. Actually sold several dozen cards, which was nice. Sales hardly scratch the surface of what I've spent (heck, what hobby doesn't cost $$), but I've done better this year than last year, and my display continues to improve. I'm going try to be brave enough to approach a couple of shops to sell some of my stuff, and consider doing (at least one) more expensive 'handmade only' market for xmas next year.
Good for you!
I have been toying with the idea of approaching shops too...scared though!
There is one in my area and a customer at one of the shows told me to go there and put some items in. I think I will do a recon mission and check out the shop this week and then figure out what of mine would fit it there.
Good luck to you....what's the worst that can happen,right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #418  
Rubber Obsessor

Yesterday, I had my one and only sale. It was at church, which I am not sure is a good idea or not. It isn’t well advertised so there isn’t a large group of buyers. But there are a lot of older ladies that always seem to make good purchases. I came home exhausted, but definitely made a nice profit.
Something strange I noticed that bothered me. The tables were lined up around the perimeter of the hall with only inches between them. People were walking in line from table to table looking at the wares. I have always believed that various heights is how to display your stuff. But all the vendors around me had their stuff flat on the table so people were walking looking down and if I didn’t say “hello”, they didn’t look up. I guess you can’t win for loosing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #419  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendykinsView Post
I am with you on the planning better. I really do mean it this year!
I found some shows at Craft Shows Page: Search for Craft Shows in your area from Festival Network Online
I went for the free access and found the shows and then with a little google search or facebook search found the people who were running it and contacted them. Try it...I signed up for two March shows and one April one in my area...trying to keep the momentum going!
Thanks for the tip! I've looked at the site before, but didn't sign up for a free membership. This time I signed up and received more listings.

I found a funny one I hadn't seen before. In GA we have the Yellow Daisy festival which is well known and very large. One small town has a Yellow Pollen festival. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #420  
Matboard Maniac

Default regarding approaching shops: something to think about in advance

When I make and sell my crafts, I try to keep prices down so things will sell. Usually, I don't make very much on each item, as most of you reading this know.

I make angel pins and attach them to a business sizes verse card that can be done for any special person, hobbiest, you know what i mean.

Anyway, people love my pins so I thought i'd approach one or two of the local hospital gift shops. The little angel pins are perfect for sick women. WELL, I was abruptly brought back to reality because obviously, my price is not be what buyers pay for them. The two I went to need to triple their buying price. For a $5 pin, they would have to sell them for $15! I did not feel I could lower my price to $3 or less, so I decided to forget it.

Tip: be sure to have a "wholesale price" to offer them and don't give them your retail price. make sure your price to them is something you can live with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #421  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i do material buying for the machine shop i manage and i triple the price of whatever i buy, but i feel so guilty doing it on my crafts! my hairdresser sells things in her shop and i give her ten percent, she didnt want anything, but i do not want to take advantage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #422  
Matboard Maniac

Deansgirl,
I love the rolo pencil and the other things in your photo album! TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #423  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by smritiView Post
Thanks for the info Carolyn!

I think I would only be able to fit one image per page, since I'm making popcorn wrappers. So I was hoping to find some place that could print within 25 cents per page.
I am able to get 2 labels per page when I do the popcorns. Have you tried to do that? It would save you a little.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #424  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
I love the whole snowman soup thing, but I saw the cutest idea using a facsimile of a Campbell's soup can. Soooo I went to work on Print Shop, made my label and began production. If anyone is interested, I have the label on my website.

Attachment 257463
I can't seem to find your label. I just love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #425  
Compulsive Stamper

Subbing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #426  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks Cricket7 for reviving this topic. I was beginning to wonder if I had been missing out on some chatter but I guess not....I've got a couple fall vendor events planned - any ideas? I've got a few weeks left. I'm thinking home d�cor items since it's not Xmas yet and Halloween isn't always a big seller... If you know of any other thread discussing this please share! email to: [email protected]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #427  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyscrapmomView Post
Thanks Cricket7 for reviving this topic. I was beginning to wonder if I had been missing out on some chatter but I guess not....I've got a couple fall vendor events planned - any ideas? I've got a few weeks left. I'm thinking home d�cor items since it's not Xmas yet and Halloween isn't always a big seller... If you know of any other thread discussing this please share! email to: [email protected]
I have one coming up in Sept. I plan on making just a few Halloween treat holders to lure people to my booth, but I mainly try to get them there and sell some of my more expensive goodies.

Mini albums usually seem to do well (shaped ones/chipboard type, not the 6x6 or 8x8 ones that come in the actual albums).

I also make chipboard post-it note holders, chipboard binder clip calendars, corner bookmarks and altered mini notebooks.

I have been trying to come up with some new ideas, as I have done the same things (different paper) year after year. I feel like I need to change things up a bit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #428  
Kookie Creator

Do all you crafters that do craft shows have a tax number?? or how do you approach that.....do you charge tax....or not even worry about it? I do 3 shows in the fall and don't have a tax number.....do I need to get one? Thoughts anyone??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2013, 04:39 AM   #429  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by deansgalView Post
Do all you crafters that do craft shows have a tax number?? or how do you approach that.....do you charge tax....or not even worry about it? I do 3 shows in the fall and don't have a tax number.....do I need to get one? Thoughts anyone??
The person managing the shows that we do gives us a tax form and we fill it out and give her the money to submit the taxes for us after the show is over. So we don't have a tax number.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #430  
Pearl-ExPert

JFYI - we have a 2013 thread here: 2013 Craft Sale Best Sellers - Ideas and Discussion by smriti at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #431  
Mad Swapper

sub
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #432  
Mad Swapper

sub
Reply With Quote Likes