Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The worst thing to happen to a stamper...

My friend and ex co-worker, Elizabeth, moved about 300 miles away with her husband who is getting out of the military. To start off, they have been through so much together. He was almost fatally injured in the 'Lunchtime Blast' 2 years ago in December. She left work for 5 months to be with him. He flat-lined 3 times and his recovery is still on-going. He has had 15-20 surgeries to try and repair damage to his eardrum and abdomen. He still can't sit or stand up entirely straight or lift heavy things due to possibly tearing open the area covering his still 'open wound.'

They decided to move to help with the family business a few months ago and buy their first house. They took enough things with them to the new house to last them a couple months while they packed everything up in the house they were renting and for the military to be able to come and move it all for them. Memorial Day weekend, the company hired by the military finished up packing all their things and put their truck in a storge unit area, secured by a gate which needs a code to open it, and the office securing the keys to the truck. The truck was to be delivered last Tuesday.

Elizabeth calls me at work on Tuesday to say that between Sunday and Memorial Day Monday, SOMEONE STOLE THEIR TRUCK!!! About 3/4 of everything they owned is gone. Clothes, furniture, kitchen things, antique family heirlooms, photos and all of her craft room items. She estimated that over the 7 years or so that she had been scrapbooking and stamping, she lost at least $10,000 in craft supplies and storage alone. All the photo albums and scrapbooks she put together, her family photos of her father and mother that passed away when she was younger, all gone. It makes me so sad to think that all of that is gone. She loved the craft room she put together in the rental home and set aside a nice room in her new home for her hobby and now she has to start all over. The police only gave until this past Friday to find the truck. As of typing this, the truck hasn't been found and no other truck, packed and ready to go, was stolen from that place. Their truck was the first truck to ever be stolen from their business.

I am thankful that nothing like that had ever happened to us but dammit, they don't deserve anything bad to happen to them. They are good people and they have ben though enough the past couple years. This was supposed to be a good move and a fresh start. What a crappy thing to happen. I'm sure some of you have had things happen to your craft rooms and that's why I wanted to share this. Your coveted items and memories taken away for no good reason. Please feel free to share your similar stories.

Thank-you for taking your time to read this.

Had my 1st child-a boy-on 5/8/07!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm so sorry for your friend. How devastating! My friend divorced her husband but left without taking her things. Now he won't give them back even though he's been court ordered to. It sucks for her because she KNOWS the stuff is there but she now has to start all over and reinvest in everything. She's a single mom of 3 kids making $14/hr so it's not like the money river's a flowin'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Gina, don't have a similar story to share, but is there an address where those of inclined can send some RAKS and start to replenish her supplies, anyway? We know we can't replace the photo memories and the family heirlooms, but maybe we can start to restock her craft room. With all that she's gone through, she's going to need the 'sanity' of her craft supplies, along with the love and support of all of us here, to help get her and her family through this 'crappy' time! Please tell her how much we all appreciate EVERYTHING that her husband has done for us and the sacrifices that they have all made!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 10:34 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Gina,
I just shared your friend's story with my DH who was a military brat and is now serving our country as well. We are so sorry, and cannot believe that this loss happened in such a large quanitity! We have had little losses (albeit losses) every single time that we have moved - a stroller, a box of Xmas ornaments, and most recently my daughter's brand new Stingray bicycle. Believe it or not, on my in-laws last and final military move, the storage unit had somehow lost the entire bottom half of her prized, wall to wall, German schrunk.
How unfortunate for your friend to lose so much of her household goods!!! Unfortunately, the military will only pay her 60% of what the items cost when she does put in her claim. (I am sure she has the itemized copy of the mover's inventory packing sheet.) I know her hubby is up on all of the military protocol, my DH works in Human Resources and is feeding me all the info as I type. She has 90 days to make her claim, and needs to call her nearest military transportation office to do so.
Please keep us updated, and as Jeri suggested, I would love to send her some things to help restock her craft room. My heart aches for her as she now only has memories to hold on to. :(
Aloha,
Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Awww Gina, I am so sorry for your friend, that is just awful, especially after everything else they've been through. That is so heartbreaking. I cannot even begin to imagine the feeling of devestation. I think that's worse than a fire where you lose everything because you know that someone STOLE this stuff and her memories mean NOTHING to them. If you have an address, I would be willing to send something her way too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novell
I'm so sorry for your friend. How devastating! My friend divorced her husband but left without taking her things. Now he won't give them back even though he's been court ordered to. It sucks for her because she KNOWS the stuff is there but she now has to start all over and reinvest in everything. She's a single mom of 3 kids making $14/hr so it's not like the money river's a flowin'
She can have the Sherriff go with her. If he is court-ordered to return her things, has has to leave for a certain period of time so she can go to the house and retrieve her belongings without fear of him. What a bum he is!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to know where I can send a contribution to? I have some duplicate stamps, some extra goodies ---- pm me if you would rather not post the address on here, but I am good to help someway.
Cathy H
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 01:15 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampkinz
She can have the Sherriff go with her. If he is court-ordered to return her things, has has to leave for a certain period of time so she can go to the house and retrieve her belongings without fear of him. What a bum he is!!
Nope, not true. She had to take him to court, listing all items he agreed to give back but didn't at "garage sale" value. He did not appear at the court hearing, she was granted a monetary judgement and now he is fighting that. Her judgment was for about 10k, he is offering 1.5k and her attorney is encouraging her to make a settlement cuz if it goes to court, she could lose her judgement or if she keeps the judgement it could be lowered and cost her more in attorneys fees than the stuff is worth. He kept all the kids pictures (aren't even his kids..only married for 2yrs and never attached), sentimental stuff, and scrapbooking/stamping supplies.
Anyway, I digress and am hijacking the OP's thread. To the OP, I hope your friend's stuff turns up. How heartbreaking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Wouldn't the moving company's insurance cover the cost of the stolen items? Once they took possession and the truck was on their property, it is their responsibility, not the military's. That seems so unfair for the military to give them only 60% of the value.

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 03:32 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I never would've thought people would be so generous and want to send things to her. How kind! I don't think she would like her address given out at all, maybe not to have even post this (she is very modest) so I could have all items sent to me and then bring them with me on my next trip to see her. My address is Gina Lazerus 12106 SE 31ST ST Apt D301 Bellevue, WA 98005. Thank-you for your responses and I hope I can help bring joy to her with all of your contributions, as well as my own. I plan to give her a gift certificate to purchase SU supplies through me and give her some of the sets and supplies I wanted to clean out of my collection.

She did say the military would pay up to $40,000 and they had renters' insurance so they'll exhaust that before they use the military benefit.

You all are wonderful and supportive. I can't wait to see her and suprise her!

Thanks will not be enough for anything that is sent. All of you are like guardian angels. :0)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi again Gina,
I have several things that I could send to her as well. Could we post what we send her to a thread? This way we can all search our craft rooms for additional items instead of her having many of the same stuff.
I think your opening post may exceed the limit of words if you added it there, maybe referring us to a separate thread might work better for you. TY and let us know! I would love to spread the word...
Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 03:56 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonjinko
I have several things that I could send to her as well. Could we post what we send her to a thread?....instead of her having many of the same Joni
May I second that? I'd like to avoid sending duplicates, to maximize what we can all do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The above motion gets a vote from me. I have some duplicate supplies as well that I would love to send for your friend. How about starting that post so we don't duplicate our efforts!! TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, I'll start. I have the clam shell inkpads in glorious green, yoyo yellow, ballet blue, brilliant blue, lavender lace, and barely banana. Stampsets - Perfect Party and Fabulous Four.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I also have some sets that I would like to send. If you start a new thread with the list we can all look and see what has been sent and then send ours.
I have
Country Borders
Not Quite Navy Cardstock
Thanks
Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novell
Nope, not true. She had to take him to court, listing all items he agreed to give back but didn't at "garage sale" value. He did not appear at the court hearing, she was granted a monetary judgement and now he is fighting that. Her judgment was for about 10k, he is offering 1.5k and her attorney is encouraging her to make a settlement cuz if it goes to court, she could lose her judgement or if she keeps the judgement it could be lowered and cost her more in attorneys fees than the stuff is worth. He kept all the kids pictures (aren't even his kids..only married for 2yrs and never attached), sentimental stuff, and scrapbooking/stamping supplies.
Anyway, I digress and am hijacking the OP's thread. To the OP, I hope your friend's stuff turns up. How heartbreaking.
Sorry...different state than I live in. Anyways, back to the OP: it may be a long process but I hope she gets some recompense. Money doesn't cover the things that can't be replaced.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, I have a Bordering Blue ink pad as well as a standard wheel handle. I do believe an extra set of Beyond the Basics is around here somewhere too. I will check around for more stuff.
Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:06 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Gina, I will post tomorrow when I go through my 'tons-o-stuff'. One question...should this be SU only or would she appreciate other things? I have a lot of non-SU, but stamp related craft items and a lot of non-SU stamps that are collecting dust since I became a demo. Let us know as I also am sure I can come up with lots of SU stuff, too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 03:54 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

I have an UM Best Blossoms and several ink cartradiges, and a SA wheel handle and wheel guide. I will also send an assortment of SU cardstock, and some extra goodies I have around.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 08:46 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

Is she a scrapper, too? I have papers and embelishments, some not SU, so let me know what she's interested in. My prayers to her, and a blessing to you for being such a wonderful friend!

Living my happily ever after.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I will be starting a new thread in just a moment called 'Angel Gifts for Elizabeth.' I will post the prior entries with items in them for her. I'm sure she would appreciate anything you fantastic people would like to send. You all have been to wonderful. Thanks for all your support! :0)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 04:09 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I'm sure she would greatly appreciate anything you send. SHe had all kinds of brands of supplies but I know that she loved SU. That was at least 50% of her items. :0)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

How sad. I'm sure words just aren't enough. I'll send some stuff your way for her this week. Our prayers are with her and her family

Here's a link to the site for what we'll donate
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Here's a shortcut link to the 'Angel Gifts for Elizabeth' thread. Thanks to Cassie for posting it :0)

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2006, 06:49 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for all the support! There are angels out there.....:0)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 01:57 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Default my worst nightmare too

I am a military wife too, and was ALMOST devestated when we moved to Japan. The housing office said they thought our entire shipment was 'lost in transit. I got horror stories of crates falling off of ships and trucks dissapearing. It turned out that it was in the back of the warehouse and we got our stuff. I was sick to death about all my pictures and stuff. I will now send my scrapbooks and special things to someone and have them sent to me registared mail. I have lots of stuff too. I didn't hear, can it be non SU! stuff. We have 100 yen stores here that I can get organising stuff. Please let me know where to send them and what she needs.
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

If you feel compelled to do so, donate whatever you like, SU or non-SU. She will be thrilled to recieve what is sent out. I appreciate the kind words and the generousity of total strangers. Thank-you! :0)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2006, 08:15 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I have not read through all posts. My husband is military, and in moving stateside and to Spain and back. Being in the Air Force renters insurance in highly recomended. If your friends renters insurance was current they can claim with that company too. Just another idea to look into.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2006, 06:56 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

She did have renters insurance and she said she was going to make a claim with that company first and use the military insurance after that. I haven't had an update from her yet but I should by the end of the week :0)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2006, 06:39 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I am overwhelmed by your generousity. I have recieved 3 packages, filled to the brim with donations to Elizabeth. All I can say-THANK-YOU! :0)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 07:00 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I have recieved 3 more packages! I appreciate your generousity and I cannot thank you enough! :0)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

I finally got a old of Elizabeth!!! She said they found the truck,oddly enough behind a church, with a few remaining contents. A few stamp sets were still there but everything was covered in oil. Looks as if the people who stole it were going to set it on fire but didn't get the nerve at the last minute. They also used her husbands' old checks and old military ID to cash checks at 6 different MoneyTree locations. They let a woman come in with someone elses checks and photo ID and CASH THEM!!! They called him to ask if it would be OK and of course he says no and to call 911-the checks and ID were stolen. That person there said that's not what they do-it would be bad for business. Can you believe that?!!! He told them to go ahead and cash them because it's their money that they are giving away-that bank account linked to the checks has long since been closed and he would not be responsible for the money the woman recieved. The local police departments won't do anything about it either-they've tried. The moving company felt sorry for them and gave their their maximum amount for insured trucks-$12,000 toawrds their ultimate settlement. At least they have some money to go out and buy things with! But after she updated me on their truck, I told her about the kindness you all have shown to her. She broke down and started crying! She is so thankful and she can't wait to recieve the 6 boxes of items I have for her! She thanks all of you from the bottom of her heart. THANK-YOU!!! :0)

Reply With Quote Likes