Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   Tag Punch Starburst Instructions (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/tag-punch-starburst-instructions-289738/)

Shadow Mill 09-29-2007 08:33 AM

Tag Punch Starburst Instructions

3 Attachment(s)
SU Tag Punches Starburst
Donna Moore (Shadow Mill)

I've had a lot of requests for the instructions for the starburst embellisment made with SU tag punches. Beate at SCS suggested I post it here until I can finish my tutorial for the resource section. Feel free to ask any questions you'd like. I could only upload 3 photos, so I tried to pick the most important ones. Enjoy! Please let me know how it goes.

My card was posted at:

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/681251?cat=500&ppuser=126298

Attachment 65852

Attachment 65853

Attachment 65854

SUPPLIES:
Large SU. tag punch
Small SU. tag punch
Circle punch for center
Paper snips
2-way glue pen
Dimensionals

Cardstock for frame and DSP, Vellum or other paper for inner parts of the starburst.

Embellishments for center of starburst.

Step by Step

Step 1: For a two-tiered star, punch out 16 small tags leaving about 1/4� between each one.

Step 2: Using the large tag punch, go back over the holes made by the small punch. Line up the punch so that you can see an evenly spaced frame around each hole. Punch out 16 frames.

Step 3: Each layer consists of 4 frames. Apply two-way glue evenly over the back of a few frames at a time. Put the sheet of lighter weight paper face-side up and carefully apply your frames in a cross-shaped pattern. Line up the inner diagonal sides of the frame.

Step 4: Follow the same process for attaching the next layer of 4 frames to the base layer. The second layer is attached to fill in the empty areas of the first cross-shaped layer.

Step 5: The points of the star will be visible when the second layer is attached. Use paper snips to trim away the excess.

Step 6: Repeat entire process to make another star, to mount on top of the first one. Use Dimensionals to separate the two stars.

Step 7: Embellish center of star and finish card.

Bubbinca 09-29-2007 09:00 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us the instructions for your most beautiful card. I love it and will try the star. Thanks again. Sharen

abritt226 09-29-2007 10:20 AM

Ingenious! I tell you this is why I love SCS so much...everyone is always so willing to share with you. I NEVER would of thought to do this in a million years. I see the tag punch exactly how it is-a Tag Punch. Great job, Donna & thanks for posting and letting us know that you did!!

missyterry 09-29-2007 03:16 PM

How absolutely clever.
You are good!!

kerryj106 09-29-2007 05:08 PM

Wow - your card is beautiful! I would have never thought to use the punches that way - thanks so much for taking the time to share!

LUVMYCATECS 09-29-2007 05:32 PM

Wow Wow Wow..Thank you so much...Emily

beena 09-29-2007 05:55 PM

WOW!!!! Very creative..TFS!!

stampkinz 09-29-2007 06:29 PM

Oh my goodness! That is too clever! Definitely trying your technique!

Erin McMilon 09-29-2007 07:06 PM

brilliant! tfs!

Shadow Mill 09-29-2007 07:16 PM

I'm the one who should be thanking you all for the response you've given to this technique! It's been really gratifying.

dombriam 09-29-2007 07:52 PM

This is great. I missed seeing this card.... but so LOVE IT!!!!!
I'm gonna try this out in the a.m.

Niknak 09-29-2007 11:20 PM

Oh wow, thats so cool! Who would've thought you could make something so pretty out of a tag!!

lindylou1220 09-30-2007 02:47 AM

Absolutely amazing! Thanks for a new technique.

chris38ma 09-30-2007 03:31 AM

I had to read it twice (its early, I just woke up), but then realize we only need the FRAME made from punching the small tag first then the large one! How did you think of this??? This is perfect for my How ELSE to Use Your Punches Class! Great job, thanks again!!

Shadow Mill 09-30-2007 08:35 AM

You know, it wasn't out of false humility when I said it was intimidating to submit that card to the gallery. This star just grew out of playing around with my new tag punches. Seven months ago I put the first ones away because I didn't have the confidence to think they were any good. Since I work for a craft company in a non-design capacity, I had taken them to work to show some people and get their opinions. I was new and nobody seemed too interested in them. Then last week I started making some Christmas cards and decided to try another star. It took some courage to submit it and I've been so thrilled that there are other people who like it. Even more thrilling is the idea that this may help your sales at workshops or classes. That would be the best reward of all! Good luck and happy punching! :)

gerrier2 09-30-2007 09:13 AM

What a gorgeous card!

I love your tag starburst card. What a clever idea. I may be adapting it into a poinsettia for my Christmas cards this year. Thanks so much for sharing.
Ps. I posted a link to your instructions on my blog. Hope you don't mind.
www.apageatatime.blogspot.com

handstamped59 09-30-2007 03:40 PM

Thank you Soooo much for passing this along, and contacting me. This is unbelievable how it works. NOW I can see the punch shape. You are so clever. Have a fabulous week.

gamelodge 09-30-2007 03:44 PM

Beautiful Card!!!! What Talent!!!!
Thanks for sharing

jordyns-mom 09-30-2007 06:18 PM

What a great idea. hey Karen do you have this punch? We need to try this.

lordagrl 09-30-2007 06:21 PM

You are so creative... very pretty card!

indyemmert 09-30-2007 06:58 PM

Great project, very creative! I enjoyed trying it out.

hookedonstampin 09-30-2007 09:59 PM

Thank you so much for the instructions, the three pictures you put on them tell how it falls together. I can't wait to try them. I think I'll make a bunch and hang them on my living room window for Christmas Thanks again for sharing your remarkable talent!!!

Abbie Stinson 10-01-2007 05:59 AM

WOW!!! Thank you so much for sharing the directions....I played with those punches for hours and hours....Can't wait to see more of your work!!! Abbie

RAWS 10-01-2007 06:46 AM

This is so cool. Thank you for sharing.

valleegrl 10-01-2007 09:56 AM

Thank you for sharing. Your card is beautiful. I never would have imagined that a tag punch could make such a gorgeous starburst!

robth 10-01-2007 11:24 AM

Thanks so much for sharing these instructions!!!! Can't wait to try this!

Twolfie 10-01-2007 12:45 PM

Shadow Mill,
Im sorry no one seemed interested in your first attempts, and that must have been discouraging...........if they only knew what they were brusing aside. I like to think of myself as fairly creative, and shoot I've never come up with anything this amazing........Thanks again, and thanks again for all your help, and sharing. Your creativity is priceless..........KUDO's to you. Enjoy the praise too, its very well deserved.

malindaplace 10-01-2007 04:06 PM

This is the most gorgeous thing! You have an amazing eye.

I just added the small tag punch to my order this evening (already have the original). I would never have bought one except for your inspiration.

My demo thanks you!

Menda 10-02-2007 02:52 AM

ahhhhhhh HAAAAAAAAAA, when I saw this at first and you said tag punch, I said she must have a different tag punch than I have. There is no way I could figure in my feeble brain how you did that. Now, let this be a lesson to you young lady, don't you ever hesitate again to share with us. And how sweet you are to send the pm to let me know you posted it. I would have hated if I missed this. I love the idea of making these and hanging them in the window. There is wow then there is wow wow wow. This qualifies as the later one. TFS

genescrapper 10-02-2007 08:46 AM

Wow! Your starburst is absolutely gorgeous ~ Thanks for the pictures and instructions ~ So very creative!!!

jtax 10-03-2007 09:06 AM

What an awesome discovery! Thanks so much for sharing this! Love it!!!

ND Stamper 10-03-2007 09:16 AM

This is absolutely wonderful. Now I'm going to HAVE to purchase those punches.

liannallama 10-03-2007 09:36 AM

This is such a wonderful project--thanks so much for taking the time to explain everything so well!

trbauer 10-03-2007 09:37 AM

love it, love it, love it!!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

J-Bird 10-03-2007 09:59 AM

WOW - that's about all I can say. You did an awesome job on these starbursts - TFS!

Rarinslik 10-03-2007 10:00 AM

WOW!!!!! this is absolutely stunning! I am definitely going to try this !!!! Very pretty - thank you so much for sharing.

ckribs 10-03-2007 10:16 AM

Thanks so much for sharing your creativity. That card is just awesome. I can't wait to try it and maybe it will spark some interest in my customers to start their Christmas Cards. Thanks again.

Carol

stampnut52 10-03-2007 11:04 AM

Where is a picture?

This sounds really cool! Where is the picture of the finished card?

Thx
Debbie

Hummingbird 10-03-2007 11:10 AM

Thank you so much for posting instructions - it is truly beautiful.

Shadow Mill 10-03-2007 11:12 AM

Original card link

The link is at the top of this thread, but the original card is located at:

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=126298

While I'm posting something, I just noticed I have a typo in the post at the top. Sorry about that! I do know how to spell "embellishment", but it sure doesn't look that way. :( My only excuse is that it was late at night when I was trying to hammer out the instructions to get them posted quickly. I'm glad you guys are having a good time with the star anyway.