Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-14-2015, 01:07 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about the MISTI (cleaning, how it works++)

Hi there

I am seriously thinking about buying myself a MISTI for christmas (aka, like asap, so that perhaps it will arrive to me before christmas ). I've not been at all in a crafting mood for many, many months, but seeing the MISTI on youtube has made me excited about cardmaking again. So, I want to get it so that I can get back into having fun and making cards again =) I want to make thank-you cards for anyone I might receive Christmas presents from, that I don't spend Christmas with, to thank them for the gift in a nice way. I would love to be able to use a MISTI for that =)

Before purchasing, I am trying to get a lot of information about the MISTI, to determine that I have all the facts I need to make my final decision about purchasing or not, as it is quite expensive, especially with the international shipping that I need.
My plan is to purchase the new laser-etched MISTI, a bottle of the Novus 1 cleaner, a pack of extra magnets and perhaps also the grid paper pad. Anyways, there are a few questions that I have, that I haven't quite found answers for yet:

- What can I clean my stamps with, while they are still sticking to the lid of the MISTI? I usually clean my stamps by spritzing them with a little water, and then scrubbing them lightly onto the wet/thick side of my Hero Arts' Clear Design Scrubber Pad. That side is just like the Rubit Scrubit pad from Ranger, and it can be removed from the box. Can I use that pad, removed from it's box, along with a spritz of water, to clean a stamp that's still stuck to the MISTI lid, without damaging the lid or the laser etching? I don't want to use babywipes, and I will be sure to never use stazon cleaner, ultra clean etc...

- How necessary is the grid paper for using with the MISTI? I am usually not a fan of grids on stamp tools (I wanted, at one point, to try to remove the grid on my Fiskars stamp press, because I couldn't see through it and it made it more difficult to me to press the stamp onto the paper in the right place!). Would it possibly be better for me to simply cut pieces of copy paper to fit into the MISTI, to cover the black foam mat?

- If I do find the grid paper really useful, would it be okay for me to use a copy machine/printer, to make copies of the sample grid paper that the MISTI comes with? So that I don't have to order the grid paper again from the website, and have to pay shipping again too... Or would that be to violate some sort of copyright? (Perhaps you can answer this, Iliana, if you have time for it?)

- It seems to me that the plastic/acrylic lid, when closed, lies right onto the pink rulers on the side. When you press the lid to stamp the stamp onto the paper, does the acrylic give a bit to make the stamp meet the paper underneath? Is that how it works?

Sorry about the long post here! Seems like I had a lot to ask about today :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

I, too, would like to know how to clean my stamps while they are still on the MISTI. I have been peeling them off and cleaning them on my scrub pad but my fingers get inky in the process.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm sorry for being confused but why would you need to clean the stamp while it is on the MISTI lid? The only time I clean stamps at all is when I need to use a lighter color ink on it. Typically I just stamp off. I use only Simple Green Extreme made for rubber in airplane engines. It's perfectly safe and made for rubber but can't vouch for the Misti lid. I just wipe my MISTI lid with a damp soft cloth. If for some reason I needed to clean the stamp on the lid, I would spray a little Simple Green Extreme onto a very soft cloth and wipe it, careful to avoid the plastic lid. Simple Green Extreme is not the typical Simple Green used in a garage although that product is safe for rubber if it is immediately rinsed.

I rarely if ever use the grid paper. I do find the grid on the lid extremely helpful for lining up sentiments though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

I don't use grid paper at all. Just line up with the grid on the lid. And I clean stamps with baby wipes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #5  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I use the grid paper to verify my sentiments are straight before stamping on my cardstock.

Sure - you can print a grid of any kind - there's actually a website that has graph paper printables.

I clean my stamps while on the lid because that's easier than holding them in my hand to clean them. I use a re-usable medical washcloth with Stampin' Mist on it - they last forever and are inexpensive. I posted about them here. Baby wipes are too goopy for me.

There is a little give in the lid but you don't need it - remember your stamp is on the lid and it's much lower than the surface. Put the foam in for clear stamps, take it out for cling stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought a Close To My Heart (brand) scrubber and use that to scrub my stamps with water while on the MISTIl the bristles are soft or I use an Absorber, it is a synthetic shamy with water. Both of these have not harmed my misti. I found a tablet of graph paper that I had, I cut it to size and you that in lieu of buying the grid paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegojentaView Post
Hi there

I am seriously thinking about buying myself a MISTI for christmas (aka, like asap, so that perhaps it will arrive to me before christmas ). I've not been at all in a crafting mood for many, many months, but seeing the MISTI on youtube has made me excited about cardmaking again. So, I want to get it so that I can get back into having fun and making cards again =) I want to make thank-you cards for anyone I might receive Christmas presents from, that I don't spend Christmas with, to thank them for the gift in a nice way. I would love to be able to use a MISTI for that =)

Before purchasing, I am trying to get a lot of information about the MISTI, to determine that I have all the facts I need to make my final decision about purchasing or not, as it is quite expensive, especially with the international shipping that I need.
My plan is to purchase the new laser-etched MISTI, a bottle of the Novus 1 cleaner, a pack of extra magnets and perhaps also the grid paper pad. Anyways, there are a few questions that I have, that I haven't quite found answers for yet:

- What can I clean my stamps with, while they are still sticking to the lid of the MISTI? I usually clean my stamps by spritzing them with a little water, and then scrubbing them lightly onto the wet/thick side of my Hero Arts' Clear Design Scrubber Pad. That side is just like the Rubit Scrubit pad from Ranger, and it can be removed from the box. Can I use that pad, removed from it's box, along with a spritz of water, to clean a stamp that's still stuck to the MISTI lid, without damaging the lid or the laser etching? I don't want to use babywipes, and I will be sure to never use stazon cleaner, ultra clean etc...

- How necessary is the grid paper for using with the MISTI? I am usually not a fan of grids on stamp tools (I wanted, at one point, to try to remove the grid on my Fiskars stamp press, because I couldn't see through it and it made it more difficult to me to press the stamp onto the paper in the right place!). Would it possibly be better for me to simply cut pieces of copy paper to fit into the MISTI, to cover the black foam mat?

- If I do find the grid paper really useful, would it be okay for me to use a copy machine/printer, to make copies of the sample grid paper that the MISTI comes with? So that I don't have to order the grid paper again from the website, and have to pay shipping again too... Or would that be to violate some sort of copyright? (Perhaps you can answer this, Iliana, if you have time for it?)

- It seems to me that the plastic/acrylic lid, when closed, lies right onto the pink rulers on the side. When you press the lid to stamp the stamp onto the paper, does the acrylic give a bit to make the stamp meet the paper underneath? Is that how it works?

Sorry about the long post here! Seems like I had a lot to ask about today :oops:
I have used an Absorber, which is a synthetic shammy with water or a CTMH (close to my heart) scrubber with water and neither have harmed my MISTI. I had graph paper in tablet form and used that instead of the buying the grid paper. Sorry if this is duplicate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I have used an Absorber, which is a synthetic shammy with water or a CTMH (close to my heart) scrubber with water and neither have harmed my MISTI. I had graph paper in tablet form and used that instead of the buying the grid paper. Sorry if this is duplicate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't own a MISTI, but I almost always clean my stamps with plain ol' water in a sprayer bottle. Memento ink runs right off (and onto a paper towel).

If ink is stubborn, like Staz-On, I use a gentle stamp cleaner and a scrub pad. I don't worry about ink stains on my stamps but I am a little miffed about getting a tiny bit of Staz-On on my acrylic block. It won't wash off and I like this block, so I won't be rubbing it down with Staz-On cleaner. For that reason, I probably would not use Staz-On if I ever get a MISTI.
Reply With Quote Likes