Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On-line class recommendations?

I need something to jump start my creative side after a long stressful summer involving a move..that seems to never end LOL

And recommendations?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #2  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

This SCS thread might get you started:
Fav mixed media videos? by stampin stacy at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Yes, whenever I need inspiration, I hit my bloggers and SCS gallery. I also go to my favorite paper line's blogs... ex: graphic 45 blog. I find so much inspiration, I usually go on overload. lol

Good luck. I remember when we moved here, it was one of those never ending moves. We talk about moving into a bigger place, and well, I just purge junk and I give myself some more room.

I hope that helps a bit. I have a list of blogs that I could list for you..... I'd start here on SCS if you're a card maker. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I took Andy Skinner's Book of Secrets online class a while back - I was going to recommend him (he has other workshops too) but all the class dates I can see are in the past. Workshops page is here.

I blogged my workshop project here if you're interested, and a totally different project using some of the techniques here.

If you like the look of anything, maybe contact him and ask if he has plans to run any in the future? (He's a nice guy - contact details for social media, e-mail etc are under the "Social" heading near the bottom of the workshops page)

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I am taking my first class through OnlineCardClasses.com in a few days. Kristina Werner and a couple others put them on. There are several different classes. I'm doing the one for Copics and Cards, but I plan to take more in the future because I can already tell these classes are amazing. I've also heard really good things about them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Thanks everyone!
I am looking for a MM class or even an acrylic painting..or maybe water color. Dina recommended one yesterday that looks promising..and the one Danielle Donaldson just did looks interesting too. I really need *something* to get me going creatively again.
Oh and I don't really make cards except for certain people or certain occasions any longer. I did look at that online card classes watercolor one though. that one looked like it could have been fun and I think it would appeal to me more than the others b/c I do watercolor the cards that I do make now.

Oh and blog recommendations are always welcome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Oh good, glad my assumption you wanted MM as you posted here rather than the general forum section wasn't way wide of the mark! Probably why Andy's work popped in to my mind, he's definitely a MM kind of crafter!

I haven't taken any of hers but I just remembered Donna Downey offers lots of online workshops. The prices at the top of the page look a bit scary but those are multi-session things, scroll down a bit for one-off workshops at prices that look a bit more like something you might do as a creative kickstart! She also has lots of YouTube videos if I remember rightly so if you want inspiration rather than necessarily full on tutorials you could look there, too.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Thank you Angelnorth! I haven't seen you be " off the mark" ever LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I *highly* recommend any and all of the "Online Card Classes" by Kristina Werner and Jennifer McGuire. I've taken a lot of them and I think there's a lot for MM artists. The watercolor one is great and the one before that was one on Stenciling and that would be a great one for Mixed Media artists! Also, there are two Tim Holtz classes - Creative Chemistry and Creative Chemistry 2.

Hope this helps! :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Thank you Susan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

There is SO much on you tube for free so it's a great place to start! i just search either mixed media or a specific product or technique. As for classes, some of my faves are Jodi Ohl, Dion Dior, Suzi Blu, Cathy Bluteau, Kate Crane, Sherri Welser, France Papillon. I hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerridwen3301View Post
There is SO much on you tube for free so it's a great place to start! i just search either mixed media or a specific product or technique. As for classes, some of my faves are Jodi Ohl, Dion Dior, Suzi Blu, Cathy Bluteau, Kate Crane, Sherri Welser, France Papillon. I hope that helps!
Thanks Marti!
I watch a ton of videos..but I *think* I want an actual class to take. I took one recently but didn't really enjoy it that much. I am not really sure what it is I am looking for to be honest. I think maybe just an acrylic painting class...or a watercolor class?? sigh..

Part of the issue is we just moved a couple of weeks ago. I haven't do one single creative thing other than using a tape gun or box cutter since the beginning of summer...and I feel kinda stale at this point. Maybe I just need to get all of my stuff set up and do *something* ? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 04:57 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will agree to do the On-line card class with Jennifer McGuire and Kristina Werner. They have many classes that are available to sign up for (you can do the class but not post to it). Once you sign up you can view for life. I have done most of them and find something for everyone in them. Video's, pdf's forums and galleries to view.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiecrafterView Post
I will agree to do the On-line card class with Jennifer McGuire and Kristina Werner. They have many classes that are available to sign up for (you can do the class but not post to it). Once you sign up you can view for life. I have done most of them and find something for everyone in them. Video's, pdf's forums and galleries to view.

I looked at the watercolor one. Have you taken it? Would it be relevant to someone that isn't a card maker?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I was looking at that watercolor one too! But if you are looking for something non-cardmaker check out the teachers I listed - none of them are related to card-making. For watercolor do Dion Dior - she teaches Twinks and watercolor pencils. Acrylic painting try Jodi Ohl - her funky cities class is downright amazing!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 02:14 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Inkin- Have you peeked at WetCanvas? There are a few mixed media girls & guys over there that might have some recommendations. That might fit more of your niche your looking for. I know the classes taught by the girls in the card and scrapbooking community are not inspiring me. They are lovely classes but not inspiring me for watercoloring or acrylics. I have been watching a lot of You Tube videos too. Hope that helps.

I hope I didn't come off as elitist, girls. I am exhausted after a nice day but a busy one. My drama queen princess dog keeps showing me her bone and snake.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 03:32 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
I looked at the watercolor one. Have you taken it? Would it be relevant to someone that isn't a card maker?
Yes I did take it. I found a lot of technique in using watercolor. Yes it is aimed at card making. Freehand use of watercolor and backgrounds were part of the class. Good luck in your search for the right class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 03:35 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Inkin- Have you peeked at WetCanvas? There are a few mixed media girls & guys over there that might have some recommendations. That might fit more of your niche your looking for. I know the classes taught by the girls in the card and scrapbooking community are not inspiring me. They are lovely classes but not inspiring me for watercoloring or acrylics. I have been watching a lot of You Tube videos too. Hope that helps.

I hope I didn't come off as elitist, girls. I am exhausted after a nice day but a busy one. My drama queen princess dog keeps showing me her bone and snake.
I haven't made too many cards either in the last couple years - I got caught up in the mixed media canvases/art journaling fun. That's how I discovered the teachers I listed! Not elitist just varied interests is all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 03:48 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post

I have not but I sure will! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 03:49 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiecrafterView Post
Yes I did take it. I found a lot of technique in using watercolor. Yes it is aimed at card making. Freehand use of watercolor and backgrounds were part of the class. Good luck in your search for the right class.

Thank you. I saw some of the projects for that class on JM's blog and they looked very interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I haven't made too many cards either in the last couple years - I got caught up in the mixed media canvases/art journaling fun. That's how I discovered the teachers I listed! Not elitist just varied interests is all.

Thanks! I make a rare and random card. I actually sold a good portion of my stamps a few years ago as well as my die cutter and dies.
I sold a couple of paintings last year and one this year as well and was so glad I decided to move in the direction I went.
Right now after the " move that keeps on giving" though, I feel very stale and uninspired and want just a little something to help kick start me into the working mode again.
Thank you for all of the names though. I had forgotten about Dion Dior.
I did find a couple that l liked but they are way too expensive for me to pay for an on line class. I took one from someone well known and just didn't like it at all. Her teaching style didn't jive with my learning style and I really didn't learn anything anyway.( not meaning she didn't know what she was doing, but it was too much of a beginner class for me). SO I try to get recommendations before taking one now LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 04:07 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

OH! This is very exciting - One of my fave teachers has just announced a new class - Kate Crane, Journal Soup 2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Quote:

OH! This is very exciting - One of my fave teachers has just announced a new class - Kate Crane, Journal Soup 2
That class looks like fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I love Kathryn. I can spend hours admiring her work.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

While they may not be actual classes, I'd recommend checking out websites/video's of the compaines whose supplies I have/want to use such as Liquitex, Prisma, Canson, etc.

Soon as I get things back to normal around here I'm planning on taking that Strathmore watercoloring class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
While they may not be actual classes, I'd recommend checking out websites/video's of the compaines whose supplies I have/want to use such as Liquitex, Prisma, Canson, etc.

Soon as I get things back to normal around here I'm planning on taking that Strathmore watercoloring class.

That is a great idea! I hadn't thought of doing that! I will check out the classes offered on the individual web sites!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

This summer Julie Fei-Fan Balzer opened a new online classroom site. She offers several “Getting Started” classes for those interested in focusing on the uses of products often used in Mixed Media. She offers a free Stencil #101 class so folks can learn how her onlne classes work. Classes

I have just started an online class with Ronda Palazzari at Craftsy-a beginning Mixed Medium Class. Her course is a comprehensive class on using Mixed Media supplies. The site provides several helpful video features I have not found on other sites. Here is Rhoda’s description of her class: Help [ME] Ronda: Fun with Mixed Media!

My blog:http://farnorthdesigns.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Far North; 09-30-2014 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi ladies! The first quarter of school has been rough - my daughter is 2nd grade. Anyway, I haven't been back in my studio in 2 months so I am hoping to change that this week. Have y'all been taking any more classes? I am hoping to start Kate Crane's journal soup 2. I also signed up for 21 secrets and was hugely disappointed. It was not cheap - ugh. I have also been asked to do a couple classes for ColourArte (Luminarte/Twinling H2Os) but I am SO nervous. I feel like there are SO many classes already out there as well as SO much free info. The pressure to do something hugely amazing and never before seen is too much! Wondering if it will work if I focus on people new to the products and just make that clear in the description....Anyway, cross your fingers I have something to post this week! Lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Marti- Your classes are going to be great. Don't be nervous. Everyone is going to love you.

I was looking into taking some doll making classes online. I rather take those offline. I would like to be in a class with other dollmakers and have that camaraderie. I might change my mind.

Jennibellie is starting some new art journaling classes. I don't want to get overwhelmed doing December Daily and taking classes. Jennings644 (Fiona) is starting a private website next year. I am kind of hoping she teaches some classes. I will definitely take those. She's my mixed media frugalista hero.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #30  
Inking Addict

I am currently taking LifeBook 2014 and I love it!

http://willowing.ning.com/

It is hosted by Tamara Laporte and she not only does the LifeBook; but has many different, shorter courses.

LifeBook is a year of weekly classes. You receive a new lesson each Monday and at the end of the year we will learn how to compile everything into a book. Many lessons are given by well known folks in the MM and journaling world. Everything is self paced, in that you choose to do the lesson as presented or do your own spin on it. There is no pressure to complete all the lessons. This is for working on self, fun, as well as whimsical art. Follow the link and see what it's all about. :-D I've already signed up for 2015.
Reply With Quote Likes