Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default journal book restrictions

I want to start an art journal but have wondered; isn't doing something like this in a book contradictory to the whole "free spirit unleashing" thing. Aren't you restricted by size and type of paper in your book? One day I could be in the mood to just write and stamp, another day I may want to do some really messy and wet techniques.

I have thought about gathering up several types of paper into a folder then when I'm ready to journal I could select the paper I want to use base on my journaling mood. When I've completed enough pieces I could then bind them together into a book.

Am I crazy to want to do this a bit backwards?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Actually the woman I took my printmaking class from encouraged exactly what you're talking about - we printed for three days and on the last day cut and bound them all into a book - I agree with you that it was liberating not to think about the book first! I think it just depends on your unique art style - anything goes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you are crazy. Do whatever works for you!

I know for my brain, I need a certain amount of structure or I get lost in possibilities and never actually do anything. So having a book of a certain size helps rein me in enough to be effective...usually. (Too many restrictions on the other hand and my brain gets ornery & shuts down. Same end result, different reason. LOL)

Also, if I get a wild urge to do something on different paper, I can always attach it to one of my bound journal pages after the fact. (And have done so with some of the early mixed media loose pages I did before I had the journal.)

My Blog: Purple Place Designs
My Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea. I do a lot of different things on my pages and like the structure of the book. I've watched a lot of videos where people used various pages and then attach them together in a book they bind. Do what feels comfortable for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,128 Likes on 508 Posts

Quote:

Do whatever works for you!
That's pretty much my rule of thumb. ;)
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Almost all of my art journal books I made the pages first and then bound them. Thank you to my Daddy for teaching me bookbinding when I was a little girl. I hate to be restricted. I end up taking apart the book anyway. Plus, I am left handed. I don't know if this is my quirk or a left handed quirk but I find sketchbooks hard to work in. My hand and arm get in the way of my book.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that has wondered about this, thanks for the encouragement everyone!!

Lylacfey, I wasn't even gonna go there about the left handed issues but now that you mentioned it.... while it is part of life as a lefty, it is irritating at times. Someone posted a pic of their journal with their name on it but it was the back side and I wondered at the time if they were a fellow lefty working backwards in the binder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 07:36 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that has wondered about this, thanks for the encouragement everyone!!

Lylacfey, I wasn't even gonna go there about the left handed issues but now that you mentioned it.... while it is part of life as a lefty, it is irritating at times. Someone posted a pic of their journal with their name on it but it was the back side and I wondered at the time if they were a fellow lefty working backwards in the binder.
Was it the page with"Jeanette" on it? That was my page. It's the left side page of a spiral journal that I folded back. My daughter is left-handed, and she prefers books that are bound at the top. I wish there were more art and mixed media journals like that. We're making one for her that we are binding ourselves using my Bind It All machine.

I'd love to see pictures of some of the books you've bound yourself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Was it the page with"Jeanette" on it? That was my page. :smile: It's the left side page of a spiral journal that I folded back ...... I'd love to see pictures of some of the books you've bound yourself
Yes it was your journal (did I tell you how fab it was btw) and the folded back page makes sense.

Oh dear me and my big mouth, confession time. I was sooo excited to get my BIA and then hardly ever used it. My excuse was having a kid in band and no time but he's finishing up his second year of college so that hasn't really applied for a while now. I really am going to start more mixed media type projects though and will WANT to bind them together. So here's to dusting the thing off and finally getting my money's worth.

I watched a video put out by the Gelli Plate folks and at the beginning she mentioned she would explain why it was better than hard surface mono-printing but then she never did that I noticed.

and why are some video's available on computers only, grrrr.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Stacy. I'd love to see your work, too. Especially your journal when you bind it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a whole bunch of different papers from the art store and then cut them and bound them with my BIA. Some were even half pages. It was fun to work on a different paper every time. Some of the paper was the Terra Skin (no paper pulp paper) - the only problem with it was you couldn't use heat on it or it would stretch and warp - but it was awesome for alcohol inks!

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2014, 05:37 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

What size pages do ya'll like working on best, small, large....? Since I'm thinking of making my own I can customize the size too. Do any of you enjoy working in books with different sizes in them?

I found some left over hand decorated papers I'd made forever ago when I went thru my paper last nite that I would love to include but since they are already made from heavier weight cs, I'd prefer not to double up by gluing them onto another page of cs. I'm even considering using Washi tapes or something to make larger pages with the smaller bits. If I can get it sturdy enough I think it will have a cool grid effect.

Thanks Jeanette, I'll be sure to share when I have something. We have sunshine today so maybe I can get some pics of the mono prints I've done so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I delayed starting an Art Journal just because I couldn't decide why I would want to do one. Well, Michael's was having a huge sale and I picked one up and I'm glad I did. The first thing I did was coat about 10 pages with Gesso so I was ready to go when I felt the need. I've decided to use it as technique sample book.

I like the idea of creating separate pages so I think I'll look at some of my existing favorites and paste them into my book. Thanks for idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

My Walmart had most of the painting supplies in their crafting section on clearance including spiral bound watercolor, sketch, etc paper pads for like $4 -$5.

ScrapJanny, I've completed my first page and loaded it to my gallery, here's a link: mixed media first page by stampin stacy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers I pulled a sheet from my folder and then literally created the page using nothing but the bits and pieces sitting around on my desk.

If doing mixed media helps me use up some of the "stuff" I've made and collected over the years I will be a very happy stamper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 04:08 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

That came out great, Stacy! I agree that using up some of that "stuff" we've all collected is an added bonus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work, Stacey! My biggest problem is over-thinking and perfectionism... I loved your idea about gathering up several types of paper into a folder to play with. Not crazy at all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 05:00 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Thanks ya'll, I created another page and just need upload a pic. I used glossy cs this time & I'm having trouble getting a good shot, ugh! Sometimes I miss my lil Sureshot camera, the big one is nice but I don't really know how to use it :oops: but I'll get it.

I'm already wondering if I should have used larger sheets of paper. I'm finished with a piece way to quickly, it's too much fun to stop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Was it the page with"Jeanette" on it? That was my page. It's the left side page of a spiral journal that I folded back. My daughter is left-handed, and she prefers books that are bound at the top.
I know you might not always want to use your book in portrait format but at least sometimes, couldn't you just turn the book so the binding is at the top? And sketchbooks with a middle binding are just as annoying for righties when we work on the left page!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes