Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing wood mounted SU stamps

For those of you that like to keep your SU stamps mounted on the wood and in clamshells.....how do you store your stamps? I am quickly running out of room, but just can't bear the idea of unmounting. Too much work and I like the ease of wood stamps. Any creative shelving ideas?

Thanks,

Maria
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

They fit nicely in the photo boxes that you can get at HL at 2 for 1 sometimes. The smaller sets can have the lid on the box, the larger ones, no, but you can stand them up so you can see the label. works for me.

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

All of my mounted stamps are stored in bins similar to these...mine are 3 acroos and 5 down about the size of the large drawers in the pictureStack-On 39-Compartment Storage Cabinet - DS-39/12 at The Home Depot

Preserving Memories one Page at a Time.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

My favorite way of storing them was putting them on a long shelf like books. The labels are on the end that faces out and I stored them in alphabetical order. Easy to find what I wanted and put away. My craft area shrunk and I don't have room to keep them that way anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm another of the few who love wood mounts, and doesn't want to spend time and $$$$$ unmounting. It would drive me crazy!

I always had my 100 sets stored on a small shelf. It's about 3 feet high with three shelves. There were just stacked there.
I've never had problem storing this many.
I just saw someone who had the same set up and same number of sets (on a small shelf) on the stampin room forum here at scs.

I'm in the process of moving and I think I'll be chaning over to storing them in baskets in a big wardrobe. I could store a thousand sets in that big thing!

I think I will be able to thumb through them easier. I'll put about 4 set in each basket. That will take up lots more room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

That's what I do now, store them in plastic drawer type units. I have a letter on the front of the drawer and they are sort of alphabetical. I am running out of room and always digging for a set. Maybe bookshelves are better. Have to see what I can come up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

I have a bookcase similar to this one. The top three shelves are adjustable, held in place by small metal pegs that fit into holes on the inside of the bookcase. I ordered some extra shelves and pegs, and I had my husband drill extra holes for them. That allowed us to add two additional shelves to the bookcase. The shelves are now about 7" apart, which is plenty of room for the SU clamshell boxes to lie on their hinged sides.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

I was just thinking about this because mine are currently stored in their clamshells and I don't like it. I even rearranged the clamshells so I keep all christmas together, all flowers, all halloween, etc...but even that doesn't work because I store them like books where you can't visually see what's in each one until you slide them out. And sometimes it's hard to remember what you classify stuff on - so I have several clams that have misc.
In thinking up solutions, maybe little bins like these where you can still catagorize, but see them better. Just thoughts. Appreciate all the other input - great food for thought.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=51328257913
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

My DH made me a three tiered shelf that is mounted on the wall above my 2 person work station. Attached dowls to the bottom for my ribbons and the top of it I store my SU markers , H2O paints and anything else I want. I put all my clam shell boxes on there sides and put them in alphabetical order. Easy peasy for me to find what I need. And it doesn't take up floor space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I first saw my upupline's method of storing: alphabetical on a bookshelf. It just made sense to me, so I've continued that way. I have my current wood mounted sets alphabetical, except for those sets that are alphabets, words and/or phrases. I have those in front of the "A".
I have the clear mount stamp sets in two small bins, so you can flip through them. One for current sets - alphabetical. I have the hostess and this year's past mini sets in another bin.
I like the woodmounted for classes. It's a pain to switch clear stamps on and off the acrylic. Perhaps I just need to purchase more blocks.
I would never find anything if it weren't alphabetical. I do have each set copied on paper in a binder.
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I have a DVD storage shelf kind of like this that I found on CL. It holds all my stamps in their clamshells, which are arranged by size of case, sitting flat. Two will sit side-by-side for the smaller sets, and I have enough room to store stamp pads as well along the side with some medium sets. I love it because it's adjustable and I can see them at a glance. The clamshells are all the same depth, which just happens to be the same size as a DVD case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Stampendous THICKER containers, which are similar to SU clam shells, but are 8.5"x11". So far, I've been able to condense 131 SU sets into 30 Thicker containers. (photos in my gallery) ... with lots of details in the photo details area. Hope it's helpful!

Saving Space! (1) - Anna Wight by SweetMissDaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Saving Space! (2) - Anna Wight by SweetMissDaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Saving Space! (3) - Anna Wight by SweetMissDaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I ended up buying a Sauder DVD book case. Only $40 at Menards. I was able to fit most of my sets on it standing on their side. I definitely have much more room now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Whoooohooo!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2010, 01:23 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I think I need to look at those cases that Anna is using. (and the tractor set is one of my most loved sets.LOL!) I started out with them on shelves then decided to put them in 2 old blueprint cabinets. The cabinets are pretty and hold about 300+ sets BUT what a pain as they are so deep. When you want something you have to pull out a drawer that takes up so much room. I'm going to go back to shelves because they were easier to find and put away but wasn't a perfect solution either. I'm not willing to unmount them but wouldn't mind multiple sets in one clamshell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Whoops, I forgot to ask where you find those containers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

You can order them lots of places online .... direct from Stampendous, ebay, etc. Just be sure to get the THICKER size, if you're using them for wood mount stamps. It's the only size deep enough for stamps on wood.

I am so pleased with my newly organized stamps! Previously they were stacked on the same shelves in the original clam shell cases, but I had to stack two rows on the shelves, where I could. It was a PAIN to get to the stamps at the back, so most of the time, I just didn't bother using the stamps in the back stacks. Now, they're all easy to get to, and I love having the sets regrouped with similar stamps in the larger containers.

And if your curious, the Thick size container works great for two thicknesses of cling mount stamps (stamps clung to each side of the case), and the Thin size works great for one layer of cling mount stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks so much! I think it's my answer to storing them with out unmounting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 03:46 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMissDaisyView Post
You can order them lots of places online .... direct from Stampendous, ebay, etc. Just be sure to get the THICKER size, if you're using them for wood mount stamps. It's the only size deep enough for stamps on wood.

I am so pleased with my newly organized stamps! Previously they were stacked on the same shelves in the original clam shell cases, but I had to stack two rows on the shelves, where I could. It was a PAIN to get to the stamps at the back, so most of the time, I just didn't bother using the stamps in the back stacks. Now, they're all easy to get to, and I love having the sets regrouped with similar stamps in the larger containers.

And if your curious, the Thick size container works great for two thicknesses of cling mount stamps (stamps clung to each side of the case), and the Thin size works great for one layer of cling mount stamps.

Well, you won me over! lol I have ten of the Thicker cases on their way to me and some of the thinner ones as well for my unmounted stamps. Should be here by the weekend which means I can spend my time organizing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

YAY!!! Sounds like a fun weekend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 06:12 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Best solution I've seen yet! I especially love the idea of having "like" stamps available at a glance!! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:46 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have also started storing mine in the Stampendous "thicker" containers. And I have to say, I really love it. Instead of having stacks of clamshells 2 to 3 deep, I have a nice row of neatly lined up boxes, all labeled, and those things hold a ton; but I have to buy more. I can't believe how many SU sets I have!! I also use the "thinner" containers to store my unmounted sets. I just stamp each stamp on white paper, then stick the stamp behind it on the plastic. Easy to see what I have inside each container.

Archivers also carries these containers for those of you asking. they aren't too badly priced, $3.49 each but no shipping and I can have them in my hot little hands asap!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

I have mine in a large cabinet similar to a TV cabinet except with shelves. I got it at K-Mart. Anyway, I put lables on the ends of the storage boxes, write the name of the stamp set on it. Then I put different color stick on dots on them. I stamped all the sets in a notebook, and then put the same color mark in it beside the image I stamped. Then when I get ready to use a stamp, I look in the book, see what color it is, and then I can find it easy. I some times forget what stamps I have, and can look at the notebook, and see what I have. This works very well for me. I love using the wood mounted stamps.
Proud to be a fan club member. #67069
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

does anyone have a direct link to these great containers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH in VAView Post
I have a bookcase similar to this one. The top three shelves are adjustable, held in place by small metal pegs that fit into holes on the inside of the bookcase. I ordered some extra shelves and pegs, and I had my husband drill extra holes for them. That allowed us to add two additional shelves to the bookcase. The shelves are now about 7" apart, which is plenty of room for the SU clamshell boxes to lie on their hinged sides.
This is what I do too.
It worked better for me to organize them first by set size, then alphabetically. I can find everything easily, provided I actually put them away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

I store most of my wood stamps in SU clamshells, stacked on the shelves of a short cabinet. It's not very space efficient because of all the different sizes of clamshells, forces me to bend down to look inside, and is horribly dark. If my collection of wood mounted stamps grows much more, I'll probably upgrade to a tall thrifted dresser with drawers just deep enough to store the boxes on their hinges. Then I'll be able to open a drawer, look down and see all those labels lined up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

I store mine in the rolling carts. I found this to be the best for me. It is not perfect but it at least keeps them all in one place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

First off all of my sets are cataloged in a small binder that I made. I have them separated into the catagories SU uses for them ie. Elements, Greetings, Nature, Occations etc. I chose a color for each catagory and have a tab page of that color with a white page per set stamped on it. So I have 8 catagories. Than each case has a white label with the set's name printed on it and I colored the top edge of the label the same color as the tab. The sets are stored book style on a book case together by color. When I want to find a set I just flip thru my binder and find out what color it is under and it is very easy to locate on the shelf. Sometimes I just want to use a greeting but can't remember which set it is from so the binder is very handy for that purpose too. It took some time initially to get it made but now I just add the set as I buy them and I'm good to go.
Reply With Quote Likes