Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2014, 03:16 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Help Requested from NEAT stampers

I am a very messy stamper...I can't even color an image without making a big mess. I make 1 card and by the time I'm done my room is a mess. I have my room pretty well organized as far as having a place for everything. BUT..when I'm creating I make a huge mess. It seems like I am cleaning more than creating. Please share your tips for neat or at least neater creating.
I am posting this in Mission Organization too....
Thanks~~~
Bev
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 03:18 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Red face Help requested from Neat Stampers

I am a very messy stamper...I can't even color an image without making a big mess. I make 1 card and by the time i'm done my room is a mess. I have my room pretty well organized as far as having a place for everything. BUT..when I'm creating I make a huge mess. It seems like I am cleaning more than creating. Please share your tips for neat or at least neater creating. I also posted this in general stamping.
Thanks!!
Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 04:43 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch some Gina K video's...she is a very NEAT stamper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 207 Likes on 186 Posts

oh...I feel your pain. I am a disaster when it comes to staying tidy. I have a super small pathetic space that always looks in shambles!! Sometimes I wonder if I like it that way. When I get inspired, I go for it and hence the mess follows.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 06:54 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I used to be the same way. I now have a counter that I stamp on that I stand up at to stamp. It makes it so much easier to put things back immediately after I use them. So after I stamp the image I put the ink pad back up, clean the stamp and put it back up. Then I pull out my copics and start coloring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I think the trick is to clean up and put away as you go. I do this with items that can be put away within reach of my seat, but anything else stays out on the desk until I'm done. I have successfully used a small plastic bin to hold items that I have to get up to put away. I also make sure all waste goes right into the trash can, recycling goes into that bin, and I have a small container to hold the tiny scraps.

I'm not the neatest stamper, but these are the tricks that keep my space passably clean while I work.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not much of a stamper. But I can tell you that I start out scrapbooking with a clean space and mid way there is not one tiny spot on my table tidy. Right now I have layers of stuff. Apparently an untidy space leads to creativity:?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I just finished a card that had me using about two dozen different items in my stamp room. So why in the world should I be bothered by making a mess! It goes with the territory!

I guess my only rules are:
Keep the most often used items within reach of your work space.
Return everything to its place after the completion of each project.
Set up storage such that any item you need can be found without a long search.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 03:27 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm a "no clutter, please" person. My process is kind of ridiculous (I can recognize). I cut whatever pieces of cardstock and/or dp I need and file the leftovers immediately (I will leave them out if I think I may need more - like for a die cut, punch, or mat). Stamps are cleaned and put away as I go. If I use a punch or die, it gets put away immediately, as well. I have things organized and stored in a way that makes it VERY easy and quick to do this, so if your organization/storage is not conducive to that, you may want to re-think it. I know others don't like to interrupt the "flow", but clutter stops me in my tracks, so I just let the ideas - like the next step(s) - roll through my head while I'm going through the motions of putting things away...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 05:16 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I waffle back and forth between neat & messy. My work area is highly organized so it's easy to do a clean up. When I'm in neat mode that means the project is coming together as planned. If I'm making multiples of a card them I do production type work by cutting all the pieces and put away the scraps, stamp and clean stamps, etc. until I have all the parts ready for assembly and everything is put away.

Messy mode is when the idea isn't coming together and I'm more concerned with the design than being neat. I'm trying a lot of different things and it actually helps in my design process when I can see the different ideas.

I tried to be neat but it goes against my nature so why fight it. So now I really don't care that my area gets messy so long as I stop now and then to clean up before I start the next project. If for some reason I need to have multiple projects in progress I put all the parts of a project in an 12x12 Iris box while I work on something else. It helps to keep the mess down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I use one thing at a time and put it back as I go. If I stamp an image, after the image is stamped I clean the stamp and put it and the ink pad back. If I use my cuttlebug or big shot, I put it back as soon as I am done with it. Even if I might be using it for the next card. I find that this way, keeps me organized and I don't feel overwhelmed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Good Ideas thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for the good ideas!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy'smamaView Post
I use one thing at a time and put it back as I go. If I stamp an image, after the image is stamped I clean the stamp and put it and the ink pad back. If I use my cuttlebug or big shot, I put it back as soon as I am done with it. Even if I might be using it for the next card. I find that this way, keeps me organized and I don't feel overwhelmed.
If I clean the stamp before I'm done with the card, I invariably mess something up and have to re-stamp! It is a guaranteed jinx. BTW, I am NOT a neat stamper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 04:37 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

I think some people are naturally neat and others aren't. I am not a neat stamper, I can make a huge mess just making a tag but that is how I stamp, it is the creative process for me. I am always trying new things and very seldom does the project I have in my head turn out the same way in real life. I say embrace the mess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure the words neat and stamper actually work together in a sentence :-D

Everyone I know makes a mess and then just cleans up between stamping adventures.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I put the things I won't repeat using on a card project, back in their homes right away; tape, foam tape etc. As I use cardstock, after cutting, I have a bin for the scraps. For extra cut dies I have a bin for them. I have a bin for card projects I have ideas for but haven't gotten to yet. And a 4th bin for partially done cards (some I don't like or don't know what to do with next). My ink pads all get their lids put back on and onto the revolving rack after use. The stamps I set aside to clean when the project is done. Sounds like I am really thinking all the time on how to stay neat but if you videoed me you would see my arms flailing all over the place tossing stuff to and fro! But no matter how I try to keep up with myself, at the end of the day I have one big mess. But, I must say, I can see the table and don't feel overwhelmed by the clean up. Messes and stamping do go together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I take a break at the top of the hour. I do this because you know a lot of times you keep working on the card until you make it a disaster. Ok, I do this, ROFL! If I take a break the fairies improve my card while I am away.

I clean up at the top of the hour. I clean my stamps, put things away I won't be using again on that project, etc... I am a big neatnik but when I am paper crafting it's a disaster area. I can't create in chaos.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I'm kind of the middle-of-the road - a little neat and a little messy. I stamp at the roll-top desk I inherited from my Dad. It has lots of drawers and cubby holes within reach. Adhesives are in at the top left drawer, so I pull them out and put them right back as I use them. I blog about nearly all my projects and provide links (through InLinkz) of all the products I use. So, as I pull out die cuts, stamps, tools, etc., I leave them on my desk top until I'm finished with the project. When I pull out the markers to color, I keep them in a cup on my desk to photograph later. As soon as I finish the project, I go into InLinkz Project Manager and list everything I've used. Then, I put everything back. I'm very **** about having everything cleared from the last project before starting another one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2014, 03:06 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a very untidy crafter. I currently can't see my desk after 3 consecutive cards without putting anything away. I desperately need to have a sort out. I have a whole room but it's not very well laid out at the moment.
Usually I do put stuff away after each card, or at least most of it, but I'm a bit behind with my cards at the moment so I've been pushing on with the next one. It's completely unworkable now tho!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 AM   #21  
LYP
Rubber Obsessor

I am in the finishing stages of a craft room renovation, my room desperately needed new paint and floor. That meant that I had to remove about five years worth of "stuff", which took me close to six weeks to go through as I carefully took it out. I purchased a high top desk for my small room, it has a wonderfully large top. I stand a lot to work and have found it really is my style! Since I am already up, I can get things quickly and also put them away. I agree with Johanna's comment above that it really helps to stand! It also burns more calories to stand than to sit! I ordered a stool yesterday that will fit under the desk so that I can sit if I am coloring or something like that. For me, it is the best workspace ever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2014, 05:14 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Yep, sometimes neat sometimes messy. I can relate to if the card goes together I'm neat, if not, YIKES! Just redid my craft room too. Moved from the smaller room and having a wall mounted counter and shelves to a BIG Ikea unit. (LOVE IT) Before I could stay seated and reach almost everything and swivel my chair and get to my stamps. My daughter thought I'd not like having to move to get things but I do. It makes me move. I can now hide things so it's easier to see that I have a mess so makes me clean more. I try to put away as I'm going but it never fails, if I put the stamp away, I mess up and need it again. So I keep my stuff out until I'm done...trouble is I'm not always done when I have to quit. That's where the mess comes in. I'm trying to give up on small scrapes and throw them. I never use tiny ones so don't keep them anymore, that helps a lot. I think some people just tend to be neater than others so embrace it and go on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

Every time I put something (Anything, punches, different color papers, stamp sets) away....I end up going back to get it!! I do have a tote that sits next to me for items I use all the time. My table ends up with layers. I start a project and then end up having to create a birthday card and sympathy card and...and...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

I am one of those super organized, but lazy, people. I sadly can't create if things aren't neat. Space is limited which makes that more of a challenge. I bought myself a 3 tier rolling card usually for the kitchen. It's too tall so I only ended up using the two lower shelves. Perfect! I can load it up w/ all the supplies I'm using at any given time, tuck it partially under the end of the dining room table when not in use but roll it right over to me when I'm working. The top shelf now is about the same height as the seat of my chair so, being lazy, I now don't have to put things away to stay neat I just put them down right they belong. The few times I need to use the table for company I can roll it totally out of sight into another room. Thanks for the organized but lazy quote - love it - that's going on my bulletin board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 934 Likes on 855 Posts

If I'm not going to be in my craft room for a few days I want it neat. That way when I do get the creative urge I can go into a completely clean room and get inspired. But that being said...when I do start creating my room can be a total disaster for days on end until I'm finished! Love having a place where I can just close the door until the next day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tidiness Tips Needed

I am also a believer in jinxing my projects - the minute i put something away before i am totally finished with a card, i will then mess up and need to redo! My issue is more with getting stuff on my project - a dot of stickles stuck on the back of the card, or a glue smudge inside - and i didn't even use glue, or i didn't realize that i had ink on my elbow, and it transferred to my card, etc. I do keep baby wipes handy, but i will miss that something is stuck on my work surface or on my forearm! Drives me nuts, because Murphy's Law ... this usually happens when i am putting that final touch on the card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

If you can't put things away as you go keep a basket on the floor by your table. When you are done with items put them in the basket. After you are done creating then take your basket and put everything back in its place.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

I think working on one project at a time helps me stay neater. I seem to invariably start one thing then get side tracked, start something else and pretty soon I have three not quite finished projects on my little table! I am very organized and have the perfect little spot for me. But ... once I get started, it can get messy very quickly. Love the idea of having a basket to put things in while you are working so that your area stays tidy. Going to add that to my space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

I'm not a neat stamper. When I'm on a creative roll, I don't take the time to put things away, so they go everywhere! But, I do clean up afterwards because there's nothing better than walking into an organized craft room!

What do you guys do with your works-in-progress when a project stalls out?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,913 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
I'm not a neat stamper. When I'm on a creative roll, I don't take the time to put things away, so they go everywhere! But, I do clean up afterwards because there's nothing better than walking into an organized craft room!

Mine sit on the shelf looking at me until an idea strikes....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #31  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I honestly can't think and will lose stuff if I'm surrounded by too much clutter. I take the same advice for crafting as my mother gave me about cooking-tidy up as you go along. DH does most of the cooking now and he sure doesn't do that, LOL!

I use the larger SU clam shell cases for projects when I'm working on them, also an extra metal loaf pan from the kitchen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2014, 04:23 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post

I have a 12x12 Iris project box labeled "Finish This". Every now and then I'll go through it a see what I want to finish. If it's just butt ugly I'll recycle what I can and toss the rest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I clean as I go, I don't like clatter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Having recycling and garbage containers handy helps. I keep little 6" pails on my desk and stuff goes in them right away. I also put scraps away right away so they don't get crumpled or inky. Then I have a place (or you could use a box or basket) to put things in to be out away. Then you just walk around with it at the end. Personally, I keep almost everything within arm's reach of my swivel chair so I can replace things pretty much instantly. Works brilliantly!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1958View Post
If you can't put things away as you go keep a basket on the floor by your table. When you are done with items put them in the basket. After you are done creating then take your basket and put everything back in its place.
That's pretty much what I do except it's a big plastic bowl that sits on the corner of my craft table. I throw things in there and it pretty much allows me to contain the mess. When I'm done with a project, I just grab the bowl and put everything away and dump out any rubbish and wipe the inside of the bowl. (Gotta love Rachael Ray and her rubbish bowl)

erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Default Neatness not in my genes!

My craft room is living proof of the second law of thermodynamics! :( I make every attempt to be reasonably neat BUT it always turns into organized chaos. I've tried several of the hints in previous posts to no avail.

I've found though, that the creative juices seem to flow better in the mess. Go figure!!!

Jeanne aka momsie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #37  
Compulsive Stamper

First of all, until recently I wasn't messy because I had no stash except card stock, a craft knife and scissors and a cutting pad. I used digital images and made pop up cards that I designed on the computer, so there wasn't that much mess. But then I discovered stamping and heat embossing and punches and die cutting. I was wild about it, but couldn't afford to buy too much. Entered as many contests and giveaways as I could and finally accumulated a little stash. No problem. Still not too messy. Then a couple of scrapbooking friends decided to give up crafting and gave me their entire stashes. So now I do have a stash and it's quite sizeable, lol. (Of course there is always room for more.)

I am so messy now that I am too embarrassed to show photos of my messy space in all those messy space contests. However, I know what would help me. I just need more clear containers and shelves so I don't have to stack containers on each other. That's the main reason I don't put things back right away. It's such an ordeal to unstack, put something away and stack again. So that's what I need to help me.

I finally organized my dies and stamps into two binders. That's been a help. I also keep baby wipes handy and try to clean my stamps right away when I'm done inking. I had been having a real problem with glitter and embossing powder but I started wiping off the area frequently, even if I am not done embossing or glittering. That's really been helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2014, 01:12 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

What is this tidy stamping you speak of?

It goes against physics!

One of the few things I remember from physics.....all things tend towards disorder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #39  
Inking Addict

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a bin on the table...all supplies when making a card go into the bin and when the project is done or time is up, I clean the stamps and put the things in the bin away. I also have a garbage can right under the table so scraps can just be brushed directly into the garbage. I put the pieces of unfinished projects into ziploc bags and they have a drawer. I find it's easier to leave it out of sight for a bit and go back to it with fresh eyes later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

I clean up my table after every two layout pages are done. I too am a messy scraper and lose things on my table if I don't put ALL away inbetween. If I have alot of stamping to do I wear rubber gloves, the cheap disposable kind. Told you I was messy!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes