Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #241  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fishing tackle boxes

Try Walmart or Target. I used one for my pottery supplies at one time.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #242  
Insane Embellisher

This one has individual compartment/boxes that latch and can be taken out oh i want it so bad lol.

I just went to my mothers to steal some coffee filters to make some flowers with lol since I don't drink coffee. She got a grab bag from one of the places she ordered stuffs from and it has a six prong potato cooker for the microwave, I said OH i can use that and stole it for my ribbons I'll take a picture in a minute here it holds quite a bit, not the 2" ribbons, but I can handle that, I have all my smaller stuff now out and visible when I want them!!!!!!!!

here is a picture of it. My scissors are in a flower vase I got flowers in last year for Valentine's Day from my DH

potato rack by CraftMomm at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by CraftMomm; 03-01-2010 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: added picture link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #243  
Inking Addict

I went to staples & bought a cart with wheels that has 4-5 drawers. When they go on sale they are $15. I bought one for my punches alone. Now I have them all organized by shape in their own drawer. No dusting for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #244  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by WEBKAT007View Post
My local school library was getting rid of the old card catalog cabinet. The cabinet is mounted on legs and is a very pretty piece of furniture. There are many small drawers that are perfect for holding stamps, markers, small jars, etc. On the front of the cabinet is a small rectangle for labeling the contents. I can store a lot of material in a small space.
You are SOOOOO lucky! I LOVE those! Congrats!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 03:43 AM   #245  
Glitter Queen

I'm loving all the great ideas in this thread! For a student, saving money is always a priority! At the moment I'm lucky enough to be living alone, so my living room is my crafting/sewing area, and the bedroom is my storage area (though just for my fabric as my crafting supplies fit in the lounge). However I'm going to be moving in with a couple of friends soon, so I'm definitely going to need some good storage tips! All 3 of us are arty/crafty people, so I'm hoping we'll have enough room to have a shared creative space, otherwise I don't know how I'll fit it all into a bedroom.

My free/cheap storage solution?
Unfortunately the tap water here is pretty toxic, so I buy casks of water to keep in my fridge. On the bottom of one of the boxes was a really creative tip on recycling the box for storage. You cut off the top flaps, then cut down the sides and front, just like a magazine holder. Voila! Storage box for shelving!

I found that they were PERFECTLY sized to fit in a couple of small shelving units I'd bought from the Reject Shop. The first one holds all my glue bottles and spray cans, so I can pull out the box and see them all at once rather than rummaging through a shelf. The next one holds some card blanks and a small scrapbook kit (8x8 I think?). And the 3rd one is my letter writing box with pretty paper, stickers, envelopes and stamps. I still have 3 more empties under my desk, waiting to be cut and assigned a duty. I think one or two on my desk will be great to corral tins of pens, pencils and essential tools, and I'm hoping I can also make them work for better organising my seriously overflowing notions container!

Once I get my hands on some modge podge, I plan to actually decorate the boxes with pretty paper and stamps. The hard part has been thinking of a colour scheme for them all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:22 AM   #246  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm subscribing to this thread to keep up with all the cool ideas you ladies have for storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:42 AM   #247  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Hmmmm.... there has to be a good use for them. I'll have to think about it. I like the wood mounted stamps, myself, but I know there are lots of others here who are unmounting their stamps. Hopefully someone will have a good idea for you!
Sorry to be picking up on this so long after it was first posted but I'm really curious - can you actually unmount wood stamps and use them with acrylic blocks? Even if I had to buy some type of cling adhesive to make this work, I'd love to be able to do this.

Thanks in advance for any advice I get,
Tracy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:53 AM   #248  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastChaelView Post
I'm loving all the great ideas in this thread! For a student, saving money is always a priority! At the moment I'm lucky enough to be living alone, so my living room is my crafting/sewing area, and the bedroom is my storage area (though just for my fabric as my crafting supplies fit in the lounge). However I'm going to be moving in with a couple of friends soon, so I'm definitely going to need some good storage tips! All 3 of us are arty/crafty people, so I'm hoping we'll have enough room to have a shared creative space, otherwise I don't know how I'll fit it all into a bedroom.

Unfortunately the tap water here is pretty toxic, so I buy casks of water to keep in my fridge. On the bottom of one of the boxes was a really creative tip on recycling the box for storage. You cut off the top flaps, then cut down the sides and front, just like a magazine holder. Voila! Storage box for shelving!

I found that they were PERFECTLY sized to fit in a couple of small shelving units I'd bought from the Reject Shop. The first one holds all my glue bottles and spray cans, so I can pull out the box and see them all at once rather than rummaging through a shelf. The next one holds some card blanks and a small scrapbook kit (8x8 I think?). And the 3rd one is my letter writing box with pretty paper, stickers, envelopes and stamps. I still have 3 more empties under my desk, waiting to be cut and assigned a duty. I think one or two on my desk will be great to corral tins of pens, pencils and essential tools, and I'm hoping I can also make them work for better organising my seriously overflowing notions container!

Once I get my hands on some modge podge, I plan to actually decorate the boxes with pretty paper and stamps. The hard part has been thinking of a colour scheme for them all!
It would be great to see some pictures of them...:-)

Gail

www.gailscraftcorner.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #249  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

What a GREAT idea. Something you might want to think about before you spend money to decorate the boxes - what about the next few times you go to the grocery store ask for paper instead of allowing plastic. Then use the paper to cover the boxes so when you do use the pretty paper, etc to decorate them you don't worry about the print on the box showing through, that way you don't waste all your pretty paper and effort. Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #250  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktfabian2View Post
Sorry to be picking up on this so long after it was first posted but I'm really curious - can you actually unmount wood stamps and use them with acrylic blocks? Even if I had to buy some type of cling adhesive to make this work, I'd love to be able to do this.

Tracy
Tracy,

I don't remember where I read it but YES, you can unmount your wood mount stamps. I think I remember being told to microwave them for like 10secs to loosen the adhesive. Then I've been told you can either buy a clean mount or many ladies use double stick tape to hold them on the clear blocks. Some companies are going to the unmounted stamps. Some have the foam still attached to the stamp while others just have the rubber. I've used both (I'm not talking about the clear mount type). If you'll pm me I'll try to find the instructions for you & get them back to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #251  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default potato cooker

That potato cooker idea is great. I'll have to look for one. I just came from Walmart where they had marked down their dorm storage . I got sets of four boxes for 3.00. They fold for storage when you aren't using them and an over the door shoe rack with about 24 pockets to store border punches in. That was 3.00 also. I might go back and get some more of those boxes. They were really nice. About shoe box size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #252  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]View Post
That potato cooker idea is great. I'll have to look for one. I just came from Walmart where they had marked down their dorm storage . I got sets of four boxes for 3.00. They fold for storage when you aren't using them and an over the door shoe rack with about 24 pockets to store border punches in. That was 3.00 also. I might go back and get some more of those boxes. They were really nice. About shoe box size.
I missed the potato cooker idea. Please share it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #253  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default potato cooker

Its about three or four messages up . She used it to store ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #254  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Its about three or four messages up . She used it to store ribbon.
Thanks for answering. That is way too cool. I wouldn't have thought of it myself. I think that's what makes this thread so cool. It lets us all share all our unique spin on things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #255  
Insane Embellisher

Last night I went to visit my sister at their video store and they had an old Frito Lay rack that there was not enough room for so I toted it home. It's about 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide and has four moveable wire shelves Oh i'm gonna have fun with that!!! and best of all it was FREE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #256  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftMommView Post
Last night I went to visit my sister at their video store and they had an old Frito Lay rack that there was not enough room for so I toted it home. It's about 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide and has four moveable wire shelves Oh i'm gonna have fun with that!!! and best of all it was FREE!
oh how cool... one of my friends her hubs was (somewhere) don't remember now but years ago got a free (holds seeds packets in the stores) display rack and she kept her wood mounted stamps in it, it was published in one of the stamping mags years ago.. but commercial stands are so cool to come across..
special the "free gift ones"

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #257  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Lucky dog, lucky dog. You're a lucky dog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #258  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooboostamperView Post
It would be great to see some pictures of them...:-)
No worries, I'll take some photos today and post them a little later. Though they're not prettied up yet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
What a GREAT idea. Something you might want to think about before you spend money to decorate the boxes - what about the next few times you go to the grocery store ask for paper instead of allowing plastic. Then use the paper to cover the boxes so when you do use the pretty paper, etc to decorate them you don't worry about the print on the box showing through, that way you don't waste all your pretty paper and effort. Just a thought...
Actually here we don't have paper bags, and we use 'green' bags instead of plastic (you have to buy plastic bags if you forget your green bags!). But that is a really great suggestion! I have a few rolls of brown paper that I use for wrapping gifts and in other projects, so I could use that as a base first. My other thought was to cover the box with fabric as I have a huge bag of scraps and remnants!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #259  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Tracy
I was told to put them in the micro for 10 secs. and to remount them to a piece of vinyl. I am guessing the vinyl sticks to the block. If not then some of the re-stick glue would be good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #260  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

No worries, I'll take some photos today and post them a little later. Though they're not prettied up yet!

Actually here we don't have paper bags, and we use 'green' bags instead of plastic (you have to buy plastic bags if you forget your green bags!). But that is a really great suggestion! I have a few rolls of brown paper that I use for wrapping gifts and in other projects, so I could use that as a base first. My other thought was to cover the box with fabric as I have a huge bag of scraps and remnants!
The fab rems would be a great way to cover the boxes & use the scraps. Here we have a choice of the green bags others. Most places use plastic without asking if you'd rather have paper. Some don't even carry paper any more. I try to remember my green bags but find that I forget more often than I remember. I'm sure if I had to pay if I forgot I'd remember them more often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #261  
Insane Embellisher

My mother gave me three wooden nestling boxes. I think one will be great for completed cards, not sure what to put in the other two lol but i"m sure I will find something!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #262  
Matboard Maniac

Not my original idea, but did you save the wood blocks after you unmounted your stamps? You can attach a piece of velcro to the block with a staple gun and then use it with the white foam for Tim Holtz's techniques. You have one for each color so you don't have to keep ripping them off the block each time you switch colors on your projects. No handles to mess with so they don't take up all that room in your storage!

I use magazine holders for vertical 8 1/2x11 cardstock storage. Cereal boxes would do the same thing, but since I have shared my old mags, I had empty mag holders to repurpose!

I no longer do x stitch on plastic (age old granny craft I taught through through a craft co-op). I still had sheets of the plastic though, so I cut them into pieces, oh I think they are 5x12 but that fit into my drawer.... I wrapped my ribbons around them and the ribbons can notch in the plastic to stay neat. I can have each sheet be a color of ribbon or width... Then take only what I want to crops. I have a boatload of bulk ribbon so this fit better than just a few inches here and there in a jar.

I reused a divided box from the hardware store and took off the lid. It fit ink pads perfectly, three pads in each "pocket" and there are 12 "pockets". I got it at Home D ages ago and had stored punches in it, but my punch storage long outgrew that box!!!! (700+)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #263  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default lamp storage

I got my lamp storage almost done. It is going to be awesome. I had to buy smaller shades to make it work but it will be like 1/8th the cost of the store it all floor rack.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #264  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use my bath salts bottles for storage. Mostly flowers. They have purple tops and lend a scent of lavender to the flowers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #265  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh, I thought of something else! I have a big clear plastic container that looks like a big jar with a screw-on lid. I put several of my big rolls of ribbon in it. They are 1-1/2" width and bigger. Since they tend to take up more space, this "jar" was just right for them! All the ones I put in it are shades of pink and since the container is clear, I can easily see what I'm looking for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #266  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

My mother gave me three wooden nestling boxes. I think one will be great for completed cards, not sure what to put in the other two lol but i"m sure I will find something!!!!!
i have 3 hat boxes.
the largest has christmas ribbon
medium size other holidays, & themes
small all other.
non are stampin up ribbons.
those have their own place of honor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #267  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

I got my lamp storage almost done. It is going to be awesome. I had to buy smaller shades to make it work but it will be like 1/8th the cost of the store it all floor rack.
do we get to see this-sounds great
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #268  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmcavanaughView Post
I was told to put them in the micro for 10 secs. and to remount them to a piece of vinyl. I am guessing the vinyl sticks to the block. If not then some of the re-stick glue would be good.
I just removed mine w/o the microwaving part, and then I used either regular or thin EZ mount. It seemed even better when they pulled off of the foam and were just the red rubber. Just the other day, a good friend sold me her "slightly used" CD towers for $10/pair, and now have moved my unmounted stamps in CD cases to these towers instead of the shelf and baskets I have kept them in for the past couple of years.
Barbaralynn's Summer Swap

I'm a BRAK member. We would love for you to join us!
Click here for more information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #269  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here's a good tut on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT1n-...eature=related

hth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #270  
Crimping Master

Thank you so much to Donna for sending me link to remove stamps from wood handles.

I have a question for those who put these unmounted stamps into CD jewel cases. Do you also store your clear stamps this way? I have mine in binders right now. I had been keeping all of them in a basket, but it was getting hard to see what was what. I don't really like the binder system, either.

When you put them in jewel cases, do you do it by set or by category? I have to keep track of which stamps are which as I teach and have to be able to tell my students where the stamps came from. But I could probably put something behind the index images of the case stating which manufacturer and set they came from, right?

One last question. I know many of you are loyal to SU. Do you unmount your SU stamps, or leave them as they are?

Thanks for much for your help. I've learned so much reading through this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #271  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thank you so much to Donna for sending me link to remove stamps from wood handles.

I have a question for those who put these unmounted stamps into CD jewel cases. Do you also store your clear stamps this way? I have mine in binders right now. I had been keeping all of them in a basket, but it was getting hard to see what was what. I don't really like the binder system, either.

When you put them in jewel cases, do you do it by set or by category? I have to keep track of which stamps are which as I teach and have to be able to tell my students where the stamps came from. But I could probably put something behind the index images of the case stating which manufacturer and set they came from, right?

One last question. I know many of you are loyal to SU. Do you unmount your SU stamps, or leave them as they are?

Thanks for much for your help. I've learned so much reading through this thread!
Tracy,

Glad I could help. SU is now offering unmounted stamps or ones that are not mounted on wooden blocks. They are also selling the translucent blocks to use with them as well. They started this in January of this year. I am probably going to unmount most of my stamp sets.

I like the idea of storing them all in the CD cases putting them in categories and putting the company names on the paper as well.

Have fun with loads of hours of unmounting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #272  
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Skype™ to Eriberry

Quick question, we have an old cassette holder lying around here someone where in the "dungeon" before I go scouring the basement for it and facing my biggest fear (spiders) will the Versamark pads fit in there or are they too bulky?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #273  
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Skype™ to Eriberry

If you're looking for a do it yourself table, I have an idea! Take four of the big heavy duty plastic flower pots, some spray paint, an unfinished (and uncut) door, some hot glue and a some plexiglass or glass. Flip the pots on top of one another to form an hourglass shape and hot glue them in place. Paint the door your favorite color and then then add your clear flat surface on top and viola! Instant door table (plus you can store family photos, old cards, inspiration items, whatever you want under the clear surface and you'll never have to worry about them being in the way ever again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #274  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by EriberryView Post
Quick question, we have an old cassette holder lying around here someone where in the "dungeon" before I go scouring the basement for it and facing my biggest fear (spiders) will the Versamark pads fit in there or are they too bulky?
What a great question.:-D I have been looking for something to store my Versamark, stazon, momento, etc in and that would be wonderful to have an answer to that. Especially if it will fit. I'm like you, I think I have one or two around here somewhere. Do you guys store your ink pads upside down or is it just me? I figure by doing that I keep the ink on the part I need it to be on. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #275  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Brad and eyelet storage

I bought a bunch of those long, clear plastic pill containers with seven divisions in each one (you know, one section for each day of the week)
I put all my pink brads in one.....different shades of pink in each day`s section....greens in another, blues in another etc (you get the idea) I do the same with eyelets.Then I stand the pill containers up on end in one of those cheap plastic desk organizers that is about a foot long by maybe 3" deep and has 3 sort of stair stepped sections.
I can see the end of each pill container and know what color is in each one . They are easy to see and don`t take up a lot of space on my work table.

I also sew and I save the small, clear,clip shut boxes that straight pins come in to store other little stamping "goodies".......don`t sew? Maybe you know someone who does who would save some for you.
Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #276  
Glitter Queen

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by punchaddictView Post
Not my original idea, but did you save the wood blocks after you unmounted your stamps? You can attach a piece of velcro to the block with a staple gun and then use it with the white foam for Tim Holtz's techniques. You have one for each color so you don't have to keep ripping them off the block each time you switch colors on your projects. No handles to mess with so they don't take up all that room in your storage!

I use magazine holders for vertical 8 1/2x11 cardstock storage. Cereal boxes would do the same thing, but since I have shared my old mags, I had empty mag holders to repurpose!

I no longer do x stitch on plastic (age old granny craft I taught through through a craft co-op). I still had sheets of the plastic though, so I cut them into pieces, oh I think they are 5x12 but that fit into my drawer.... I wrapped my ribbons around them and the ribbons can notch in the plastic to stay neat. I can have each sheet be a color of ribbon or width... Then take only what I want to crops. I have a boatload of bulk ribbon so this fit better than just a few inches here and there in a jar.

I reused a divided box from the hardware store and took off the lid. It fit ink pads perfectly, three pads in each "pocket" and there are 12 "pockets". I got it at Home D ages ago and had stored punches in it, but my punch storage long outgrew that box!!!! (700+)
I like your idea with the plastic canvas for ribbon storage. I did something similar but used chipboard for mine and punched a hole in the top of each one and hung them from some cheap shower rings on the closet rod in my craft room closet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #277  
Glitter Queen

I like your idea with the plastic canvas for ribbon storage. I did something similar but used chipboard for mine and punched a hole in the top of each one and hung them from some cheap shower rings on the closet rod in my craft room closet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #278  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
What a great question.:-D I have been looking for something to store my Versamark, stazon, momento, etc in and that would be wonderful to have an answer to that. Especially if it will fit. I'm like you, I think I have one or two around here somewhere. Do you guys store your ink pads upside down or is it just me? I figure by doing that I keep the ink on the part I need it to be on. :rolleyes:

Vermark, Stazon, etc fit. I have to remove everyother divider to fit Colorbox chalk inks ( with the domed lid. I think it depends on how narrow your partitions are, though. Anwyay, I did this ( the cassette tape holders) and I dont find it as useful as I thought it would be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #279  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hum, now I'll have to think about it a little more. I really would like to find something that would let me carry all my inks with me. I have almost all of the SU colors and many of the in-colors along with stazons and versi's and momentos as well. Right now I have most of them stored in an old freezer masket but it leans to th eback side and the ink moves to that end of the cartridge. So dissapointing. I've thougth about tring to make something out of balsom wood since it would be lightweight but that sounds like work I'm really not able to put into it right now. I don't care for the storing caddy that SU offers. I would even ben OK with a few of the stand-up boxes to use. I'd just like to see the ends of the inks so I know what colors I want. Oh well, maybe a problem for another day.

Hope you are all having a wonderful day today since it is the beginning of your new week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #280  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by spazzgirlView Post
I have some cheap/easy ribbon storage tips in this video.
My favorite is using safety pins to hang my ribbons so that I can see what I have and it always stays wrinkle free.
Ribbon Storage Video
Love your video! Great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes