Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #121  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

my dh put a large bottle of goo gone in my christmas stocking
gotta love him. he knows what i like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 06:15 AM   #122  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wheel storage. I am one of the few that has not unmounted her wheels. Maybe some day. Anyway, I purchased dress slack hangers ($2.99 ea) and took off the black "foam" (on there to keep the slacks from sliding off and wrinkle free). I then just slid the wheels on the rails. Each "rack" holds 28 small wheels and 16 jumbo wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-wheel-storage-133.jpg   What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-wheel-storage-135.jpg   What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-wheel-storage-134.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #123  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by tillyheadView Post
I just got my first Bear Creek Soup box from my Christmas Tree Shoppe. I'm going to use it for a craft fair display (not finished in the pic). but a friend uses it to house cards and/or 6 x 6 recipe swaps. A2 cards fit in the cubbies one way and/or 6 x 6 fit in the other way! Another friend has 2 and uses them for stamp or accessory storage.

BEST OF ALL - IT'S FREE!!!!!
Hi,

Did you just go in and ask if you can have the display when it is emptied? I think that it is agreat idea to do that with that display or even walk around the store and see what would work and ask for it. If they are willing to give you the displays it worth the time to do a little investigating...LOL!

Gail

www.gailscraftcorner.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 06:29 AM   #124  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by magmossView Post
Wheel storage. I am one of the few that has not unmounted her wheels. Maybe some day. Anyway, I purchased dress slack hangers ($2.99 ea) and took off the black "foam" (on there to keep the slacks from sliding off and wrinkle free). I then just slid the wheels on the rails. Each "rack" holds 28 small wheels and 16 jumbo wheels.
I love this idea. I will have to go check my closets now. I pretty sure that I have some of them hanging around. Thanks for the idea!!!

Gail

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #125  
Compulsive Stamper

Some of the things I have used - some free some not, but still good.
~ Old cassette wall unit holds my ink pads
~ Spice rack holds my glitter & embossing powder jars (I don't have many)
~ Former display rack from Hallmark, sits on a Walmart turntable and holds many of my embellishments.
~ I got a bulletin board room divider from our church. (They were throwing some out). Had my husband put wheels on the bottom, and use one side for packages of embellishments and the other side for a "thinking wall".
~ 100 ct. CD cases work great for sorting ribbons. Take out the center core, add ribbon scraps and twist on bottom, which is now the top. Can be stacked and you can see what you have. (Haven't completed this one yet)
~ Those bulk size donut boxes make great storage for ephemera.

You can see my room, and many of these ideas in use at this link... http://kathleenscreations.blogspot.c...abel/My%20Room

Last edited by Kathleen16; 01-16-2010 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: spelling, addition
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #126  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen16View Post
~ 100 ct. CD cases work great for sorting ribbons. Take out the center core, add ribbon scraps and twist on bottom, which is now the top. Can be stacked and you can see what you have. (Haven't completed this one yet)

You can see my room, and many of these ideas in use at this link... http://kathleenscreations.blogspot.c...abel/My%20Room
I enjoyed checking out your craft room! Can you explain your ribbon storage a bit more. I just can't picture it and didn't notice it on your blog. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #127  
Insane Embellisher

I bought a 10 ft length of plasic gutter at Lowe's (could have been Home Depot) and turned it into 2.5 sections for ribbon storage. Cost was around $35 and that was for everything (end caps, board to mount it on, gutter) I now have 4 - 2.5' ribbon gutters. It's in white, so it looks nice. I have 37 rolls of ribbon in one 2.5' gutter section. I'm only using 2 sections right now but I have the other 2 in the basement. Good ribbon storage has been hard for me to find and this method is perfect for me.

For my nestie collection, I bought some 1/2 price 12x12 frames at HObby Lobby ($5 each) and a 12x24 magnet sheet at AC Moore (about $3.50 with a 40% off coupon). I took out the glass in the frames and replaced it with a 12x12 piece of magnet and put the back on the frame and mounted them on the wall. It's excellent as I can see all the shapes at once and they stay in place.

**I added a link in the post below with pictures of what I"m talking about**

Last edited by annie21211; 01-16-2010 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #128  
Insane Embellisher

Here's a link to my stamp/scrap room pictures. Click on the stamp room folder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #129  
Insane Embellisher

The plastic gutter is a wonderful idea!!!! I sure have gotten a lot of ideas from this thread!!! Thanks so much!!
God bless
Nyoka
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #130  
Compulsive Stamper

Default CD ribbon storage

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin_melissaView Post
I enjoyed checking out your craft room! Can you explain your ribbon storage a bit more. I just can't picture it and didn't notice it on your blog. Thanks!
Thanks! I like it. It's not as fancy as some rooms, but for the space I have, it works.

It's the empty clear plastic sleeve that 100 ct. CDs come in. Let me see if I can find a pic of one... HERE This will give you an idea of what they look like. They are about 6-7" tall. The bottom, actually becomes the top / cap of the container when inverted. You can't always take the core out of these containers, but even leaving it in isn't a problem.

I'm lucky enough to get these from our sound booth at church. We go through 100's of CDs in just a few weeks. The guys know I want the containers so they save them for me. I just peal off the labels.

If you have more questions, just holler.

Last edited by Kathleen16; 01-16-2010 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #131  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen16View Post

Thanks! I like it. It's not as fancy as some rooms, but for the space I have, it works.

It's the empty clear plastic sleeve that 100 ct. CDs come in. Let me see if I can find a pic of one... HERE This will give you an idea of what they look like. They are about 6-7" tall. The bottom, actually becomes the top / cap of the container when inverted. You can't always take the core out of these containers, but even leaving it in isn't a problem.

I'm lucky enough to get these from our sound booth at church. We go through 100's of CDs in just a few weeks. The guys know I want the containers so they save them for me. I just peal off the labels.

If you have more questions, just holler.
I so get it now! LOL! Thanks for the info. I think that its a good way to store those odd bits you seem to collect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #132  
Compulsive Stamper

some truely awsome ideas here, i especially love the wooden cassette holder for your ink pads, i shall be keeping my eye out for some of those lol

I always buy a slightly more expensive coffee as their jars are just devine and I house everything from my buttons & ribbons to my flowers in them.
I also use the plastic take-away containers with lids for extra storage.
I have an old wooden cd tower that i cut in half and turned on its side and mounted to the wall as shelving.
Also insteed of spending a fortune on the actual CRAFT indorced wall mounted flip down containers i hopped along to my local tool centre and got about 4 of there nuts and bolt holding ones for the price of 1 of the Craft ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #133  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
My late husband's family were big into canning, so I have oodles of glass canning jars - they work great for just about anything you want within reach.

I have two of those spinning spice racks (Rubbermaid) and I put the canning jars on them and I can twirl them around to find what I want.

Check out your local grocery store for "throw aways!" They sometimes get very sturdy display shelf units and either end up throwing them away after use or don't even bother to use them and they're brand new!

Check out your Army/Navy surplus store for things like "military" metal map drawers - they're sturdy and hold lots of bling!

Close To My Heart stamp sets in their plastic packaging fit perfect in cute little crates that are just a buck each at Walmart!

Inexpensive "scrub pad" to clean stamps - I buy packs of two paint pads, break off the curls on the edge, attach 2 pads to a flat lid and instant scrubber pad and easy to clean, too! I attach them with double-sided tape and they've never come loose (they cost about 3 bucks for a pack of two.)

The inserts I've removed from the CD cases I use to store my unmounted stamps work great for ribbon - just wrap the ribbon and the inserts fit very well in a cheap photo storage box!

Still looking for a use for all those darned wood blocks (boxes of them!) from unmounted my stamps....any ideas?
You could maybe donate the wooden blocks to a child care center for their block centers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #134  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooboostamperView Post
Hi,

Did you just go in and ask if you can have the display when it is emptied? I think that it is agreat idea to do that with that display or even walk around the store and see what would work and ask for it. If they are willing to give you the displays it worth the time to do a little investigating...LOL!

Gail

Yes! You can do this at Michaels too. I ask for their ribbon holders all the time when they are low on supply. I worked there, so I know that they are sent in those boxes which means that these will be in the trash once they are empty. Sometimes I even 'help out' by re-organizing their merchandise in all the right places if I know that there will be an empty cardboard container somewhere after that. ;) Trust me - the workers don't mind as it was one less thing for us to do at night!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #135  
Insane Embellisher

Default Wood Blocks

Hi! About those wood blocks...are they in good enough condition that you could stamp on them....birthday wishes or Holiday scenes, and give a set as a gift?

They might need some TLC first. I have no idea about varnish or paint with inks from stamping. I know I'd be delighted with a set of 3 or so nice wood blocks with a Christmas Theme. A tree on one, verse on the middle one, and maybe another tree, or a wreath...lots of things.

In His Love,
Traci S.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #136  
Stazon Splitcoast

With 6 kids I have to be thrifty! I've tried everything under the sun to organize for cheap, including 3 bookshelves for $20 (Craigslist, pre massage era), spice rack holder, Michaels cardboard ribbon displays (mine in the pic were sagging and have since been replaced), some random rack (it's not a cassette holder, have no idea) that I got from the thrift store for my ink pads. I've even covered empty canned goods for my copic storage. These are older pics before I reorganize but thought I would share anyway. My craft space is in the converted garage along with my kiddos' playroom area, the link takes you directly to a posting on my blog.

http://astickysituation.blogspot.com.../my-space
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #137  
Compulsive Stamper

I've thought of the canning jar idea, but for me I'll use them for something other than ribbon, as my jars are blue.

Last edited by Kathleen16; 01-17-2010 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: sentence change
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #138  
Compulsive Stamper

Thumbs up Crafting area!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonjinkoView Post
My craft space is in the converted garage along with my kiddos' playroom area, the link takes you directly to a posting on my blog.

http://astickysituation.blogspot.com.../my-space.html
You have a great space and wonderful ideas for storage! Thanks for a peek into your crafting area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #139  
Polyshrink Goddess

I made my own clip-it by using a spring loaded curtain rod between the wall and a shelf and some older drapery clips (the kind with a circle at the top and a clip at the bottom). I clip up my sticky embellishments. I've also purchased cardboard ink storage units from Mother Rubber Art Stamps for $12.99 a piece plus tax. Not bad considering they can hold 60 regular ink pads or 40 Stampin up pads!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #140  
Stazon Splitcoast

You ladies have some awesome ideas. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm subbing so I can read through all these great ideas and put some to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #141  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Thanks for sharing your ideas!

I really wanted to go to IKEA and buy everything for a reorganized room. I had been looking a pictures of beautiful rooms that look like boutiques or scrapbook / stamping stores and was ready to go.

Instead, I have been reading this thread and decided to use what I have (new idea - huh?). I also wandered around the house and the basement and the cabinets and found many fun storage things. I found baskets, buckets, vases, and a ceramic project my son made in high school.

Anyway, after sorting, giving away, throwing away, etc. I have only the stuff in my room that I really use and really love. This is such an incredibly wonderful feeling. I have been like so many others and had to buy all of the NEW stuff, and had to get every COLOR of the stuff.

My room would never make it into a magazine, but I love it so much!!!

I guess I would challenge you all to give away or sell or pitch all of the stuff that you don't love and you don't use. It is taking up space and keeping you from using and enjoying the stuff you really like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #142  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

This would work great for ribbon, too!

I just bought a curtain rod, but it's just a bit too long for where I want it. (Apparently, a 24" rod covers a 24" space, but the rod overhangs that by a bit, making it unable to fit where I wanted it without running into it every time I walk past! lol)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #143  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatterschmuckView Post
This would work great for ribbon, too!

I just bought a curtain rod, but it's just a bit too long for where I want it. (Apparently, a 24" rod covers a 24" space, but the rod overhangs that by a bit, making it unable to fit where I wanted it without running into it every time I walk past! lol)
I have tried the slacks hanger for my ribbon and find that it doesn't hold as much as I'd like it to hold due to the varying sizes of the ribbon spools. The curtain rod sounds like a good idea. If it is the cafe type where you have the little arms at each end that the rod just lays in, how about using a wooden dowl rod lay on the arms. You can get them from 36 to 48 inches long & can cut them easily to fit the length you may need. You can get them in craft stores, home improvement stores, & I've even gotten them in Walmart as well. They are usually $1 or less each, so cheap. I have used them for curtain rods beside my front door where I needed a 12 inch rod. Just an idea. I'm going to use old electric heat register covers and paint them to suit my desire. They have no sharp edges (unless you cut them & then you can smooth the edges) and the ribbon will just sit right down in them. I have 3 so I'm going to use 1 for my punches as well & may even use 1 for my sizzix dies. Haven't quite gotten all that figured out just yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #144  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
I have tried the slacks hanger for my ribbon and find that it doesn't hold as much as I'd like it to hold due to the varying sizes of the ribbon spools. The curtain rod sounds like a good idea. If it is the cafe type where you have the little arms at each end that the rod just lays in, how about using a wooden dowl rod lay on the arms.
Yes, it was a cafe type rod. I had already bought the slacks hanger before seeing this. I've got almost all of my spool ribbon on it. I alternated my small spools on one row with my larger on the next, so that I have two of each. I've got it hanging on a nail on the wall now while my 3m Command hook adhesive sets. I'm thinking I like this better than the rod now, because it occurred to me that I could sew some sort of cover to make it portable - just pull it off the wall, toss the cover over it and go. (I figure it can't be that hard. 2 side seams, a bottom seam, and some velcro straps to fold over the top so the "hanger" can hang on the hook in the backseat of the car.) It also gives me 4 short "rods" to pull ribbon off when one runs out, instead of two long ones.

I'll post a picture once DH wakes up, since the camera is on my nightstand right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #145  
Queen Chat Box Chick

Quote:

Originally Posted by HartvillestamperView Post
I made my own clip-it by using a spring loaded curtain rod between the wall and a shelf and some older drapery clips (the kind with a circle at the top and a clip at the bottom). I clip up my sticky embellishments. I've also purchased cardboard ink storage units from Mother Rubber Art Stamps for $12.99 a piece plus tax. Not bad considering they can hold 60 regular ink pads or 40 Stampin up pads!
ooooooooooooooo great idea for a clip it up!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #146  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

INGENOUS!

Thanks for sharing the pics and idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #147  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Ohh, terrfiic idea! I have mine all in a drawer and then forget to use them. I will be searching out a couple of these hangers too.

For nestabilities and unmounted stamps -- I have them all in CD cases. The nesties fit well in the thin CD cases too if you have those lying around like I did. I just use a thin sheet of magnet to keep them on one side and working on hubby to create a couple of cubes for my wall to store them above my Big Shot and other craft table to give me more room. :mrgreen:
Barbaralynn's Summer Swap

I'm a BRAK member. We would love for you to join us!
Click here for more information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #148  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by DauberdooView Post
I had an idea recently that I thought was very inexpensive!! I went to a thrift store and bought an old three-ring photo binder with the magnetic photo sheets that were used in the 70's for photos. You know the kind where you had to rip up the sheet and insert the photos? The ones that ruined all of the photos from that time period when you went to take them out of the pages!! LOL I attach my unmounted stamps on the sheet with a copy of the stamps on the other side, and then insert the whole thing in a sheet protector. It was $.75!!!
Ooh, smart Idea!! and I have some of those too!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #149  
Insane Embellisher

awwwww...I know there is more cheap storage ideas. I love this thread. Bumpin' it back up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #150  
Insane Embellisher

Does anyone know what "Subbing" and "bumping it up" means here at SCS?

Thank you so very much!
Traci S.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #151  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traci S.View Post
Does anyone know what "Subbing" and "bumping it up" means here at SCS?

Thank you so very much!
Traci S.
Hi, Traci! When you first sign up with SCS, the system default is set so that any thread you post to will send you all responses after yours. So when people write "Subbing," it sets it so that they will start receiving emails with all further posts to that thread. I have that feature turned off, so if I do come across a thread I do want to receive updates on, I have to manually subscribe to it.

"Bumping" is a way of bringing a thread back to the top where people will notice it. You may have noticed that the threads post chronologically, with the most current posts at the top. So if a thread is back on page 3 or something, typing something like "bump" will "bump" it back to the top of the first page.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #152  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

I went to Harbor Freight (a favorite resource for cheap storage items) and bought a couple of um, thingies?- it's a grey plastic holder that has 6 magnetized storage jars, 3 hanging down, three upside down on top, and the holder has holes and slots to hold tools. It's semicircular, to be mounted on the wall. I knew I "needed" it, but until last night, didn't know what for. Well, it's perfect for flowers! I've transferred most of my stock of flower embellishments into the jars, and plan on mounting the holders to the closet doors in my craft room. They cost about $9, and I'll be able to stash tools and things in the holes and slots, and reach them from my desk!!! Sure, it was meant for holding screws and nails, but flowers are so much more necessary, right stampers?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #153  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
I went to Harbor Freight (a favorite resource for cheap storage items) and bought a couple of um, thingies?- it's a grey plastic holder that has 6 magnetized storage jars, 3 hanging down, three upside down on top, and the holder has holes and slots to hold tools. It's semicircular, to be mounted on the wall. I knew I "needed" it, but until last night, didn't know what for. Well, it's perfect for flowers! I've transferred most of my stock of flower embellishments into the jars, and plan on mounting the holders to the closet doors in my craft room. They cost about $9, and I'll be able to stash tools and things in the holes and slots, and reach them from my desk!!! Sure, it was meant for holding screws and nails, but flowers are so much more necessary, right stampers?
Can you post a pic? I just can't quite visualize this. TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #154  
Watercolor Wizard

I knew this was gonna happen, let me grab my camera!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #155  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I knew this was gonna happen, let me grab my camera!
In my defense, I just have difficulty picturing "thingies". Now, thing-a-ma-bobs I get! LOL! ;)

I appreciate you sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #156  
Watercolor Wizard

I understand, it's just that even as I was trying to describe it, I had in my head that I might as well get the camera. See? I knew, I just didn't act on my own knowledge!

Photos are loading as we speak (but don't expect much, my photos are worse than my descriptions usually!!!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #157  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Ooh, yeah, I saw magnetic bars for screw jars, etc. I think I know what you mean. Sounds cool, too! I have also seen wood workers that screw the lids of babyfood jars fast to the bottom of a shelf then just twist or untwist the jar to take it down. I had forgotten about that!

I must say I have used the idea I read here about using the index tab punch and creating a ribbon wrap then sorted my colored ribbon in Mason Jars pints and quarts -- wow, didn't realize how much green and blue ribbon I had and how little red and yellow -- LOL not sure that was a good thing. I might have to go shopping for some red and yellow now. LOL ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #158  
Watercolor Wizard

Yeah, I have one of those two sided tackle boxes that someone gave me that I store ribbon in. That's all the shorter pieces, like a yard or two. I have used gutters laying out in the yard that I intend to use for the rolls (and rolls and rolls and rolls......) of ribbon I currently have in a couple of drawers. Eventually.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #159  
Watercolor Wizard

OK, loaded the photos to my gallery, here we go:

storage ideas by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers

storage ideas by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #160  
Watercolor Wizard

You asked for it- you got it!!!

Reply With Quote Likes