Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #81  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Love this idea about the crystal light containers! Just yesterday I separated my copics by color and just put cardboard dividers in between - I will be using the containers instead now! (I have no gutters LOL) - but I will figure out some way to store them! Thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal CreationsView Post
My new favorite storage find are outside gutters. They are great for holding ribbon. I also covered crystal light plastic tubs and lined then in the gutters to hope all my markers and pens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my first Bear Creek Soup box from my Christmas Tree Shoppe. I'm going to use it for a craft fair display (not finished in the pic). but a friend uses it to house cards and/or 6 x 6 recipe swaps. A2 cards fit in the cubbies one way and/or 6 x 6 fit in the other way! Another friend has 2 and uses them for stamp or accessory storage.

BEST OF ALL - IT'S FREE!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-100_1007.jpg   What are your free/cheap storage solutions?-100_1008.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #83  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by smadsonView Post
I wanted to share my craft room. The neatest thing I got was a 6' counter top with the 2 cabinets for $5.00. It is agreat work space. It is all garage sale deals! Each time I brought something else home to carry down the basement, my husband cringed. Just click on my name and go to my gallary, because I don't know how to link you to it!
( Now, I can't buy anymore stuff at garage sales. Room is full!)
Regards!
smadson
Your husband sounds like mine. Everything I bring in, he looks at me and says, 'NOW, where are you going to put that.' Of course I have a space in mind for everything prior to me buying anything. Love those garage sales.

My sizzix dies are stored on shelves that I got at garage sales for $1 or $2. I also got a turn around from pampered chef at a garage sale for $1 that I put my rulers, tweezers, paint brushes, and glue in. It is handy on my working surface and turns great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #84  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tillyheadView Post
I just got my first Bear Creek Soup box from my Christmas Tree Shoppe. I'm going to use it for a craft fair display (not finished in the pic). but a friend uses it to house cards and/or 6 x 6 recipe swaps. A2 cards fit in the cubbies one way and/or 6 x 6 fit in the other way! Another friend has 2 and uses them for stamp or accessory storage.

BEST OF ALL - IT'S FREE!!!!!
Those are cool! Did you get them at the grocery store?
I don't think I've ever heard of Bear Creek Soup.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #85  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

the bear creek soup box is from the christmas tree shop. other chain stores might have these for their display.
free for the taking.
also ask-they may have some in the back. waiting to be flatten.
another great free box. from home depot only. they carry/sell berh paint. the paint comes in a great box. the box holds 4 gallon cans of paint. but it is 12x12 inches. great for storing your 12x12 paper in. also to "hold" projects as you work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #86  
Rubber Obsessor

This is a "general" tip rather than crafting/stamping . . . A LOT of those plastic bags you save from Target, Wal-Mart, etc. can be crammed into an empty Puffs tissue box. Storage takes up very little room & you can grab one right out of the opening on the top very easily. I suppose you could decorate it with DP very easily, also.
Have faith in God . . . . Mark 11:22

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 04:27 AM   #87  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeycreekMOView Post
This is a "general" tip rather than crafting/stamping . . . A LOT of those plastic bags you save from Target, Wal-Mart, etc. can be crammed into an empty Puffs tissue box. Storage takes up very little room & you can grab one right out of the opening on the top very easily. I suppose you could decorate it with DP very easily, also.
That a great tip! I have really been trying to use my re-usable bags, but I keep them in the back seat of the car, and I still manage to forget them sometimes. I don't really beat myself up, because my hubby uses a bag whenever he walks the dog. So, I think I will decorate a tissue box and stuff it with bags!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #88  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 494 Likes on 273 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeycreekMOView Post
I fold mine flat and into small rectangles, and they can be fit into a coffee can or box, you wouldn't BELIEVE how many. I often give a can or box of them to folks having a bake sale, garage sale, or something like that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #89  
Glitter Queen

I use a lot of found or donated storage. I store my seasonal (Halloween, Christmas, Patriotic, Birthday) embellishments and stuff in pizza boxes that were given to me.

I use baby food jars, old containers and sample rx jars for embellishments by color.

I keep idea books in cardboard magazine holders.

I keep odds and ends in a clear over the door shoe holder, and paper stacked in shoe shelves from Target.

My desk - I traded for it - no cost, a nice L shaped desk!

I store my recycled items and kits in plastic milk crates.

Other items have found homes in rubbermaid drawer units. Things like themed stamps, other inks, specialty papers, etc. I buy them when they are on sale or only with a coupon.

I have been clearing and sorting and purging lately, and I am enjoying finding things I'd forgotten, and using them or giving them away.

I try to take 15 minutes a few times a day to put out the disorganized fires that flare up. By nature, I am not very organized, but I am trying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #90  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
So, I think I will decorate a tissue box and stuff it with bags!
Could you post a pic if you do this?
Have faith in God . . . . Mark 11:22

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #91  
Watercolor Wizard

I'd be happy to, but don't hold your breath. I promised myself that I will get my cards done this week since I have a couple of days off, and I got a lot of papers graded today.
Then I'll be back to work, and before you know it, it will be Christmas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #92  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Happy Thanksgiving and save those 2LB cans

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

I love this thread! Being an admitted pack-rat and recycler glad to see I am not alone.

Like many of you I re-purpose other containers for crafting stuff. The motto use what I have is especially good right now! We moved to in June and I had to leave behind my stamping center :( However we refinished a tall chest of drawers and it is now happily storing 12x12 papers and just cost me some elbow-grease to sand and paint (best of all DH did it for me.) Reused an old filing cabinet for my 8 1/2 x 11 papers. And why I am posting for you is to save your big 2 pound cans...you know green beans, yams and such. I use a safety can opener and cut them down to the size I want. Cover with cute paper and some ribbon and instant containers!

Look forward to more great ideas from everyone...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #93  
Rubber Obsessor

Not pretty, but I use the old silverware basket from an old dishwasher that was replaced for markers/pens. There are a few "compartments" in it - enough for most of the colors to have their own (brown shares with black and white). I put a scrap of cardboard in the bottom so they don't fall out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #94  
Hardware Hotshot

the silverware basket is a good idea! you can always spray paint it too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #95  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh my, talk about folding plastic bags, I learned this trick maaannnyy years ago and still use it. I fold mine in half lengthwise, twice, smooth out the air bubbles. Start folding in a triangle from the bottom of the bag, continue to almost the end and just tuck the remainder of the 'handles' into the fold and it stays in this cute little triangle. I store them in another plastic bag. Just pull one out, give it a shake and I'm good to go. Altho, thinking about this and the tissue container hmmmm, that may be less time consuming than folding the little critters. Oh well, whatever works right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #96  
Mad Swapper

Most of my ideas have already been mentioned, but there is still a little bit I can add...

- I saw someone mention frap bottles in passing but without any comments - I *love* these for my flowers and for other larger small things like buttons. The tops are small enough to prevent major spills if they tip over, but large enough to easily get things in and out.
- I also have some old tupperware sandwich keepers that hinge in the center like clamshells - they hold my post-its, my unused small ziplock bags, and assorted cartridges for my label maker.
- I had a bunch of wire shelves in my old bathroom that I don't need in my new one, so they're now in my craft area - one of them on my table to allow me to put things under my worklamp and another on the table for whatever supplies I'm currently working with. It's like making the table bigger without taking up more floor space. (And since I've only got a corner to work out of, that's a BIG deal for me!)
- I keep my small brads in a CTMH embellie case that I got a helluva deal on from a consultant who was quitting.
- The larger brads and other small embellishments I keep in those little round tins that they make for wedding favors. I found a box of thirty on clearance at Target for about $5. The lids are clear, so it's easy to see into them, and they fit just snugly enough that they don't fly off if (when!) knocked over.
- I found some nifty plastic storage boxes at Walmart for $3.50 each this fall - the lids have handles on top and hinge - things that snap closed on the sides. They're like shoeboxes, but taller. I can honestly say here (since DH doesn't read this!) that I bought 10 of these little guys and use them for just about everything. One holds all of my inks, another my adhesives, three for my fat quarters, embossing supplies, my bling, those wedding favor tins...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #97  
Mad Swapper

My best tip is to check out your kitchen cabinets. In my studio, I have a large lazy susan turntable and on it I have a coffee cup, a tall votive candle holder, a custard cup, and a square glass serving dish all which were tucked away in my kitchen cabinets unused or rarely used. I added a a couple of small baskets, and now it holds a lot of essentials like journaling pens, glitter pens, back stamps, etc. So check your kitchen and your other closets and claim what you can for your space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #98  
Pearl-ExPert

OMG, I can't believe I actually took some plastic bags and folded them in triangles. Certainly does save space. Now I just need some patience to do this each and every time.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: My very hot stamp room, in Phoenix! It's a dry heat.

Do you buy those salads from Costco in the clear almost shoe box shaped boxes? I've had lots of them and they are the perfect size to hold A2 cards. I have quite a few FULL ones.

My dh bought six cd/dvd towers from IKEA years ago. Recently he got two players that hold all of his DVD's. The towers were in the garage for a while. Then I thought, I could use those. I put them behind my IKEA tables and now have lots of cubbies to store embellishments and all kinds of things. I used the cheap rubbermaid containers without the lids as "drawers" in the cubbies. I'm so glad I didn't donate or sell them! Here is the link to the entry on my blog with a photo. http://karenskreativekreations.blogs...and-after.html

My sister gave me an unused dresser which I have in my stamp room too. I have my paper cutter, Scor-pal and Spellbinders Wizard on top of it, along with a power strip with my heat gun plugged into. In the drawers are JustRite stamp sets, ribbons and lots of other goodies. For the ribbon drawer, I cut cardboard to fit between the rows of spools, so I get three rows in the drawer.

I guess all these were FREE! The best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #100  
Matboard Maniac

An LSS near me is going out of business. :( BUT, I got a great deal on the metal Stickles rack: $3.!! I have my Stickles and re-inkers in the top and I'm using the rest of the slots for my Copics. I had to turn the rack around so that I could access the Copics better, but it's great.

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2009, 03:13 AM   #101  
Crimping Master

awesome idea: dishwasher basket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #102  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel H.View Post
I spent about 20 bucks in materials and made my own Stamp pad storage and a couple of other storage drawer things. I bought wood, foam core board, a can of spray paint, and a sample of Parsley Sprig paint! My "drawers" were little storage boxes, I just ditched the lids, flipped them, spray painted them and added drawer pulls (shhh, don't tell DH but they are the tips to some of his golf tees, LOL)
(Ignore the camera hound in the photo, LOL)
Homemade storage
I would love to make a stamp holder like that but I'm not the LEAST bit handy! :(

Do you need a router to make the "grooves" where the foam core board fits?

Looks great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #103  
Insane Embellisher

I have learned that markers and pens should be kept horizontally, and not standing up or they dry out. I have taken three large nut cannisters, wrapped with paper, and have ribbon holding the stack together. One on top, two on the bottom. I separate different types of markers/pens in them. Opaque together, gels together, markers together. It works great...just keep it laying down.

My son moved out and I have made it my art room. It might seem like I am blessed, and I am, but I would rather have my son in that room. :{

QUESTION: Where do you all stand on organization as far as sorting by color: all pink ribbon, buttons, glitter, stickers,etc...together...OR all buttons together, all ribbons together, all glitter together...

Thanks for your opinions!

He IS Able,
Traci S.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #104  
Insane Embellisher

Great ideas! I think I will put curtain rods up in the open closet behind my tables, and put my spools of ribbon on them. You have my mind swirling with things I can do! Thanks!

Traci S.

p.s. Who is putting a title under the large TRACI S. on the left of my message. I do love glitter, but I didn't put that there? LOL

Last edited by Traci S.; 12-15-2009 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #105  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traci S.View Post
Great ideas! I think I will put curtain rods up in the open closet behind my tables, and put my spools of ribbon on them. You have my mind swirling with things I can do! Thanks!

Traci S.

p.s. Who is putting a title under the large TRACI S. on the left of my message. I do love glitter, but I didn't put that there? LOL
It just comes up as part of the SCS website. It will change when you reach certain amounts of posts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #106  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedView Post
I would love to make a stamp holder like that but I'm not the LEAST bit handy! :(

Do you need a router to make the "grooves" where the foam core board fits?

Looks great!
Cute camera puppy! Does he come with the the stamp holder too:rolleyes:!
Wow! nice job on that ! I think I might try to make one of these too! It really looks good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #107  
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to spazzgirl

I have some cheap/easy ribbon storage tips in this video.
My favorite is using safety pins to hang my ribbons so that I can see what I have and it always stays wrinkle free.
Ribbon Storage Video
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #108  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmstampediaView Post
Cute camera puppy! Does he come with the the stamp holder too:rolleyes:!
Wow! nice job on that ! I think I might try to make one of these too! It really looks good!
Sure but I'd have to charge ya for the stamp pad holder, LOL!!!

I used a dremel with a high speed cutter bit to do the routed pieces. I'm not too handy but I practiced a bit and measured, measured, MEASURED!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #109  
Insane Embellisher

Just checking back in to say that I have gotten a lot of great ideas from this thread! My project for January is moving my craft room back upstairs to the spare bedroom. I have had plans for this for months, just no time to do it. I'm feeling inspired and ready to roll now, though, and I'll be using several ideas found in this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #110  
Matboard Maniac

I love my homemade ribbon rings. I just use binder rings, and made my own "tags" from squares of cardboard and cut 4 slits into them for the ribbon and punched a hole in the top to hang on the ring. I find my skinny little slots work better than the fat ones on the original ribbon ring tags because my ribbon doesn't slide through so easy. I love having my ribbon out and visible, and hanging loose makes it easier to "try on" my projects without having to unroll/reroll spools.

I also cover shoebxes with wrapping paper to store cards. Xmas wrap for xmas cards and tags, birthday wrap, wedding wrap...etc makes it easy to see what' in the boxes.
My gallery ~ My Blog ~ My website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #111  
Scrappy Chef

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorrindaView Post
I love my homemade ribbon rings. I just use binder rings, and made my own "tags" from squares of cardboard and cut 4 slits into them for the ribbon and punched a hole in the top to hang on the ring. I find my skinny little slots work better than the fat ones on the original ribbon ring tags because my ribbon doesn't slide through so easy. I love having my ribbon out and visible, and hanging loose makes it easier to "try on" my projects without having to unroll/reroll spools.

I also cover shoebxes with wrapping paper to store cards. Xmas wrap for xmas cards and tags, birthday wrap, wedding wrap...etc makes it easy to see what' in the boxes.
My friend did a ribbon "spool" and wrapped her ribbon. I did it too and love it. It reminds me of the cross-stitching thread? You know those cardboards you wrap the floss on? Like that....using the rounded tab punch from SU...Here is a photo on her blog.

http://sapphiresessentials.blogspot....ttle-word
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 05:59 AM   #112  
Kookie Creator

That is another fantastic use for a punch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #113  
Insane Embellisher

Oh my goodness I am so glad I checked out this forum and read this wonderful post. So many great ideas! I can't wait to hit the Dollar Store and Goodwill to see if I can find some great deals. I did get some small glass canister type jars before Christmas at a local Dollar Discount. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them but grabbed them at $1 each. They're $2 at Walmart. I ended up putting mineral spirits with a sponge in one of them and some ribbon in the other two. I think I'll cut out some tags to wrap the ribbon on and then store them in the jars. I also love the idea of using pretty little tea cups for embellishments. I have a collection of teapots and tea cups. I'm going to pick out some of the tea cups to use in my craft room. I have coffee mugs on my desk with my scissors, cricut tools, and paintbrushes in them.

Thanks for all the tips! I'm really getting inspired!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 04:47 AM   #114  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Cleaning/gardening carry all.

Thanks folks, must rescue cutlery basket from dishwasher..hiding in snow after it bust on me!

My Fave: is the gardening/cleaning carry-all they come ready divided, I put in a couple of cheeap plastic beakers, it holds, pens, pencils, knives, scissors, plier punches, CB folders, glue, tape and stickles, rulers, set square, brushes, tags, etc.

Stampin' Spaces 3 by Dalek at Splitcoaststampers

Stampin' Spaces 4 by Dalek at Splitcoaststampers

Oh and about 3 cat-ticklers, essential for Siamese owners!

My Gallery......I would love it if you checked it out! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 06:20 AM   #115  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Bulldog clips & net curtain wire

Lots of things can be stored suspended on wires.
set 2 wires about 10" apart and you can even hang 12x12 sheets from these clips, but some go rusty so coat them with clear nail polish if you suspect it. Most do not as they were designed to work with paper in the first place.

single wire and you can 'peg' up almost anything, even CB folders! have a whole washing-line of scraps.

works with dowels too, but not too long or the weight will cause them to break.

My Gallery......I would love it if you checked it out! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #116  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Ribbon on old clothespins

I read someplace that you could wrap your ribbon around an old wooden clothespin and then secure them through the slot at the end of the pin. I'm not sure how to do this but maybe some creative person out there knows what I'm talking about, LOL! I know you use the clothespins that are one piece and don't "open" with a spring. Maybe you just wrap the ribbon tightly and tuck the end under?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #117  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetotalkmom3boysView Post
I read someplace that you could wrap your ribbon around an old wooden clothespin and then secure them through the slot at the end of the pin. I'm not sure how to do this but maybe some creative person out there knows what I'm talking about, LOL! I know you use the clothespins that are one piece and don't "open" with a spring. Maybe you just wrap the ribbon tightly and tuck the end under?
I use quilter's pins (thinner diameter) like Nichole Heady of Papertrey recommended:
http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capt...ibbon-jar.html

Then I store all the ribbons in large plastic screw-top jars like you get when buying almonds at Sam's Club. Nichole's jar's look nicer, but mine are free!

Tip: you can find the clothespins really cheap at dollar stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #118  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Ribbon storage on clothespins

Jessica,
Thank you for the link!!
That's exactly what I was trying to explain (not very well, LOL). People are so creative and I think that this way is a much more appealing and inexpensive way to store ribbon than those ribbon organizers. I've seen those for quite a bit of $$$.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #119  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetotalkmom3boysView Post
Jessica,
Thank you for the link!!
That's exactly what I was trying to explain (not very well, LOL). People are so creative and I think that this way is a much more appealing and inexpensive way to store ribbon than those ribbon organizers. I've seen those for quite a bit of $$$.
You are very welcome! I like this type of ribbon organization because not only is it decorative, but I can see all the ribbons with a simple shake of the jar. I'm very visual when it comes to inspiration, so this helps the creative process!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #120  
Kookie Creator

I am in charge of ordering office supplies at work. We use LOTS of Marks-a-Lot markers. Each dozen markers comes in a neat plastic box. I bring the boxes home and use them for holding pencils, on the go supplies and for presentation boxes for card sets. You can see one I used for a gift in my blog post here.

Goo-gone helps remove the labels and you're good to go.

For other storage I've "rescued" a 12 drawer unit originally intended for screws, nails & such that my dh no longer wanted. Our ds spray-painted it for me and it holds all kinds of little embellies.
Reply With Quote Likes