Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-26-2009, 07:38 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile UPDATED w/MUSICAL VIDEO! What better way to say "Thank You" to my parents...

Check out my Musical Interpretation Video of why I'd like to win this Scrapbox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWdpIbXFtW0

My plea for this contest is pretty simple: I would very much like to win this Scrapbox as a Thank You gift for my parents, Beverlee and Gary Orluske.

Throughout the years my parents have supported me in many ways. From my earliest interests and endeavors in the music field (driving me to and from countless rehearsals and concerts), to supporting my goal of achieving a music degree in college and eventually becoming a performer, my parents have always supported my efforts. Sometimes their support would be financially, but most oten it would be reflected in their time and in their everyday vocal support of me going after my "dream". I did eventually complete my music degree and for a number of years pursued a career in performance. However, when I started my family, I decided to put that part of my life on hold to concentrate on raising my children.

As a child, one of my reasons for being involved in the performing arts was simple: I just loved to sing. But when I was old enough to also understand that by becoming "successful" (as the world would view success) I could very much help my family financially in ways that they had not been able to do themselves. We were not poor by most standards, but money seemed to be an issue early on, and the weight it would place on my parents I started to sense even as a child.

Over the years, since starting my family, I have expressed to my parents how much I have appreciated their support of me for so many years. I know they still do support me and my choice to raise my family rather than continue performing at this time. My parents don't have a lot. They rent a home in Mesa, Arizona. They had their share of financial problems and have struggled over the years to meet their bills. My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer back in 2000, and they are still paying the bills for his surgery and follow up care today. My mother, over the years, has often had to take a couple of jobs just to cover the costs they had. My father has been semi-retired for a number of years, but works a part-time job. My mother continues to work full-time but hopes to partially retire (at least from her current job) sometime next year if they can handle it financially. So, where am I going with all of this, you may ask?

I know I have expressed to my parents my appreciation of their support, but I would love the SHOW them. My parents may not have a lot, but one thing they have discovered over the years, and I'm happy to have played a part in this, is their joy of crafting. A number of years ago, as a new mom, I became an SU demo and really came into the crafting world "cold". I didn't know a thing, but there were my parents, supportive as ever, encouraging me to learn and enjoy. I stayed with the company for almost 4 years and 2 more children and my parents grew in the crafting world right along with me. Who could have been more surprised than me to discover how much my father would love to emboss?! Who could have been more surprised that my mom would get excited about buttons and brads and "blingy" things, like me?! They caught the crafting bug just like I had, and continue to explore and enjoy and pass along their creations to family, friends and anyone they know who could use a little "lift" by way of a handmade card. They enjoy spending time crafting together, and I think this has been a very good thing for them.

Currently, my parents have all of the their crafting supplies (and they've acquired quite a bit over the years - here a little and there a little) in plastic and wicker drawer units. Everything is together, and there is not a lot of organizing "ease" to their supplies. Their place to craft is their dining room table, which is fairly small, and since it's also where they eat they must craft and clean immediately in order to use it for other things. Their sense of organization is, I think, a little rough. They try and keep stamp sets sorted, but no matter how many times I visit and sort through them, they mix them back up because they always have everything together and no where really great to help them organize it all. I think they could do more by way of crafting, and enjoy their time in doing so, if they were able to have a better organization system.

I would love to buy this Scapbox myself to give to them, but I know that isn't possible. With this contest I have, slim as it may be, an opportunity to give something back to my parents that I know will be treasured and used and loved and appreciated for years and years to come. My story isn't the only one worth considering, I know. I know there are others who deserve this too, but I hope those that read this would find here an opportunity to do something really special for two people who have come to love crafting because of what they can give to those around them through their creations.

Since I live in California and they live in Mesa, Arizona, I don't know how much by way of pictures I could get to show everyone. I'd like this to remain on the "sly" so as not to get my parents hopes up. But perhaps I could find some general pictures we've taken of their home while visiting that would at least show their space and how much they could use this fabulous Scrapbox in their home. If it came down to it, I know I could just ask them to take some pictures of their current crafting "units" to show.

Will you please help me make this dream a reality?
Thank you!

Last edited by HoJo; 10-06-2009 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: added video link
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Ok, so here's a link to a photo introducing my parents (sort-of).

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Their crafting stuff is really in need of an overhaul of organization!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Just bumping to give me parents pic a look-see from whomever is interested. I know my info is long, but hopefully worth the read!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I've been reading and reading entries, and yours is definitely the most deserving. I'm going to be following the contest and hoping you make the final ten! Best of luck. What a wonderful gift for your parents. How neat that they craft together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Wow! Thank you, Mary! Your comment was very sweet. I started to think with all of the posts coming rapid fire and so many people requesting this that there would be no way my desire for my parents would ever be seen. Who knows what will come of this, but I just wanted to try for them.

My parents truly do love crafting - and they do it together so much of the time. And although I'm really the more avid SCS fan (they know of this site and have been to it before) I really wanted them to have this chance, but I knew they wouldn't know the first thing about posting something themselves. As it is, their computer isn't the fastest (AND they use dial-up to boot!) so I wanted to at least try for them.

I've been thinking about posting some pics of the cards I've received from my parents over the years that they have made. Christmas (always embossed!), birthdays, anniversaries, thank you's, cards for my kids, etc. - they embrace the spirit of handmade, homemade, "with love" made cards than anyone I know. I'd just love for them to have the opportunity to do it a *little* easier with a better system in place. My mom hopes to retire this next year, and I keep telling her that at that time she could really start spending more time crafting, because both she and my dad love to do it so much. We'll see...

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words and thoughts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Holly -- Yes, do post some pics of cards you've received from your folks. I don't know how the SCS judges will pick the 10 finalists, but I bet posts, views, and links can only help get you noticed. I re-read the contest rules and one of the hints says, "If you'd like to share photos in your gallery as well, please load them to this gallery, using the ImAMess keyword (not case sensitive). Make sure to include links in your forum thread." I know you don't have a picture of your folks stampin' space, but I like that you included a picture of them. I recommend you also put their picture in the "ImAMess" gallery with a link back to this thread.

I have another suggestion for you: Email all your friends and family and get them to come over to SCS and post a comment in this thread -- that should get you noticed! You may think you have only chance in a million to win, but so far there are fewer than 300 entries so with a little planning and plotting and shameless bumping, you could be one of the 10 finalists and eventually the big winner. I'm pulling for you. I read a lot of the threads over the past couple of days and only few asked for the ScrapBox for someone other than themselves, and you have my vote for the most deserving. Let me know what you think of my ideas. I'll check back in the thread tomorrow!

Here's to a new ScrapBox for Beverlee and Gary!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Oh my...my heart is so there when it comes to our Parent's...it is the best gift to give back to them whenever we can! You are a wonderful daughter...Enough space is always hard to find for our fun stuff isn't it :-) Enjoy the contest and good luck! We all need it :-) Get them to send in pictures :-) Love to see how we all live with our stuff :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Holly -

I wish you the best! I told myself I wouldn't read other posts for fear of what I'd find -- but YOU have made me change my mind. This is the kind of stuff winners are made of!

Beautiful post -- good luck to you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I too have great parents, and I know how you feel. I wish you lots of luck in this contest! Terrica
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Just a daily bump for my parents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Talking

Hi Holly -- Thanks for your PM. Hope things are good with you today. I will continue to provide encouragement and ideas to help win the ScrapBox for Beverlee and Gary, who are the MOST deserving of winning it. (Just a little shameless plug).

I searched for your folk's picture in the gallery, but it didn't come up. I see that you used the key word ImAMess so that's good. I think you also have to upload the picture to the Stampin Spaces gallery. Here's how: Go to your gallery, select the picture, and edit photo (at the bottom right below the additional information). Then in the Change Category area, scroll way down to Stampin Spaces -- it's between SU! Convention 2008 and Swaps -- and select that. The picture will still appear in your member gallery, but it will also appear in the Stampin Spaces gallery. Give that a try and let's see if it pops up.

Like the smilely icon you picked. Let's keep up the noise so this thread gets noticed by the judges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Hey Holly -- Check out Post #99 in the Mission: Organization - Contest Rules thread. Hope you don't mind...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

This really is a good story and your thoughtfulness towards your parents is touching. I love that they both craft too--good luck in the contest. It would be such a nice thing for you to be able to give this to your folks.

Click here to: Join us for the Scrapbook Challenges!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 06:18 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Good luck! Wonderful post, Holly! Her parents aren't the only ones to benefit from Holly's original crafting bug. I signed up as a SU demo under Holly and have had a wonderful success out here in Colorado. To quote Fezzick from Princess Bride, "...I hope we win..."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Good Luck Holly! My mom passed away in 1998 at a young age and I attribute my entire " crafty" nature to her. I would like to win the box too, but I would be very happy to see you win!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Thumbs up Bumpin' and Stampin'

Bumpin' for Holly and her parents so they'll have a ScrapBox for Stampin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Awww, what a wonderful reason to enter this contest...I hope you make the finals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you, ALL, for your kind words and thoughts! It's been a crazy busy day today, but I'd like to make sure and post some pics of my parents cards they've created and I've saved over the years for tomorrow.

Stay tuned...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Wink

Come on in folks and post a comment on Holly's entry to win the ScrapBox for her parents. Isn't it wonderful to have a husband who scraps with his wife? We need to encourage them by making sure they win!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muffin's MamaView Post
Come on in folks and post a comment on Holly's entry to win the ScrapBox for her parents. Isn't it wonderful to have a husband who scraps with his wife? We need to encourage them by making sure they win!
Thank you, Mary! I just changed the area the photo is supposed to be viewed in now (Stampin' Spaces) so hopefully that will help. I'm sometimes computer challenged, so it took me longer to do it than I thought (my youngest always seems to know when I take a step toward the computer!)

I'm uploading some pictures right now of a bunch of cards my parents have made and sent to me and my family so people can see. There's embossing by my dad, and lots of brads and other embellies that my mom likes to use for "bling"! Hope people can see them for the beautiful creations they are and help my parents in their organizing of their items to better aid in their continued creations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Here's the link to the first of a few pics I'm uploading of cards my parents have made for me and my family:

I just love the fact that both of my parents can do this together! They so enjoy the process and they particularly love knowing that others feel good when they receive their cards. They just want people to know they are being thought of and sent a lot of love.

My mom actually called earlier this evening to say my dad had taken a spill while he was out working in his rose garden (that's one of his other passions!) Thankfully, he's Ok and just has some scratches and soreness. We're thankful he didn't break anything (my dad is 71 - but you'd never know it, I think, by seeing him.)

Anyhoo - enjoy the photo! More to come...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Here's a close-up view of one of the cards my dad has made:

Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Wink Great pics uploaded to the Stampin' Spaces Gallery

Excellent uploads of cards, Holly. Your folks sure keep busy; that is quite a collection of cards. Glad your Dad's OK after his fall. Gotta watch those thorny roses!

P.S. You win the computer challenge today -- all your pics are in the stampin' spaces gallery and collecting comments. Yeah!

Go Beverlee and Gary -- Heading for the ScrapBox winner's circle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

You updated your blog too! Way to go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Yeah for more pix! Thanks for sharing, Holly! I love seeing all the cards they've made. It's really inspiring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

three cheers for mom and dad....good luck to you...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

You have my vote too! You're a very special person to love your parents so much and think of them instead of yourself. I hope you win.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Thumbs up

All the support is wonderful. Let's keep it up so Holly wins the ScrapBox for her parents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Default I had entered the contest myself

but I love your story it is neat your dad crafts too! I too have wonderful parents so it is very nice you are doing this for them!

Kids themed holiday swap
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...1#post14558430
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Wink

Holly -- Where you been? How's your Dad -- no lingering effects from his fall, I hope.

Last edited by Muffin's Mama; 10-05-2009 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

I came. I saw. I sang!

I've made a musical video of me singing for my parents to win the Scrapbox! Please check it out on YouTube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWdpIbXFtW0

I'll post the lyrics too so you can follow along the "story"! If you like WICKED, then you'll recognize the song.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Here are my lyrics (Sung to the tune of "For Good", from WICKED):

I've often said, that stamps can come into our lives, for no reason -
And yet we horde them all with glee!

What happens when, one finds they do not have the space?
Where can they turn?
What can help them in this plight?

I know an answer lies within my reach -
But do I have the story to win your hearts with ease?

If my parents had a "Scrapbox", Oh, what Joy would be theirs!
To have all the things for crafting, in a single place.
Who can say, what words of joy would escape them, but
Because of Scrapbox - and Splitcoaststampers -
I hope to win, for them!

So long ago, it seems we came to learn of stamps, and ink, and crafting -
And we just learned along the way.

No formal training, just a wish to give a smile and learn a new thing,
And have fun along the way.

But somewhere all their things have taken over.
And now it's hard to find a thing, or make a card to send!

Like a bold and stunning fixture, that could sort all with ease.
With the space for making craft things, all within their reach.
Who can say, if I can change my parents scrap place, but
Because of Scrapbox - and Splitcoaststampers -
I'll take that chance for them!

And though I've seen a lot of threads to wonder
if my parents even have a chance.
But then I guess, I'll have to take that risk,
and hope your hearts will all be swayed,
and grant them happiness!

'Cause my dad just loves embossing,
and my mom loves the "bling".
And they craft so much together,
that's why I'm here to sing!
Would you please - consider them for this Scrapbox?

I do believe they really need this great Scrapbox!
And, because of Scrapbox -
I wish this for them!
Please cast your vote - for them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 03:53 AM   #33  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi Holly! Could your parents BE any more wonderful? sniff* sniff* very touching
you are one popular gal, everyone loves your entry. I bet there are hundreds of thousands but I DO hope YOU make the top 10!!
Love, Paula / mrsjaggiusa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 05:56 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Everyone! Please take a peek at the musical video I made to express why my parents should win this Scrapbook!

Oh, what JOY it would be knowing I wouldn't have to re-do their stamps each time when I visit them - because they'd all be organized in the Scrapbox!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Just a plug to check out the video I made singing about winning this Scrapbox for my parents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

What a creative and positive entry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

Here we go - my maiden voyage on Splitcoast! Great video babe! Of course your singing is incredible as always, but I have to say I think there was some exsquisite camera work in that piece. Whoever was behind the camera deserves some special remuneration: dark chocolate is always a hit. I'm just sayin'... (Wait...did I just use an emoticon? Someone give me a power tool quick! No, Holly, an embossing tool does not count...) All joking aside, I hope you make it to the top ten. Seriously everybody, when we visit her folks in Arizona she has to put in major time doing a stampin crafty reorganization job. They really need it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hojo's HubbyView Post
Here we go - my maiden voyage on Splitcoast! Great video babe! Of course your singing is incredible as always, but I have to say I think there was some exsquisite camera work in that piece. Whoever was behind the camera deserves some special remuneration: dark chocolate is always a hit. I'm just sayin'... (Wait...did I just use an emoticon? Someone give me a power tool quick! No, Holly, an embossing tool does not count...) All joking aside, I hope you make it to the top ten. Seriously everybody, when we visit her folks in Arizona she has to put in major time doing a stampin crafty reorganization job. They really need it.
I can't believe you're actually official on SCS! Too funny! After all these years of my being on here, you're willing to take the plunge. Awesome - and THANK YOU! Yes, you are quite the videographer (who needs Scorsese!) And yes, a nice big block of dark chocolate to you for taking that video (at 10:30 at night, no less!) I was just so worried the kiddos would wake up and wonder what all that warblin' was about! Nothing like having your kids tell you to "Stop singing already!"

Seriously, though, I hope mom and dad get a chance at this too. I think of all the times people have told me how much they love my mom and dad and how much getting a card from them means. I know I've talked to mom about the possibility of them becoming SU demos once she (hopefully) retires next year. The Scrapbox would certainly help them in that endeavor - and also organize their efforts to make things for other people. We'll see...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Mary,

I'm sorry - I've been delinquent in responding to your concern over my dad. I'm sorry! But he's fine! He just took a tumble the other day in his rose garden and got a bit scratched up and he's a little sore. But other than that, he's doing quite well. Thank you, for your kind inquiries! Hope you like the video!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Thumbs up Go Holly!

Holly,

YOU ROCK!

and the cameraman's not too bad either. If that doesn't get you to the finals, the judges were bribed!
Reply With Quote Likes