Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:20 AM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

Interesting thread... I've been following a couple of "unmounted" threads, but this is the first one that brought up the vinyl and the resale question.

A couple of thoughts to throw into the mix: I originally considered the vinyl option, but I counted it out as too time-consuming and labor-intensive when I realized how many sets I had to tackle (200+), let alone the individual stamps. I'm also not a fan of the microwave thing - too gooey and messy for my liking.

What I ended up doing is peeling just the rubber off of the foam and block (you can do this by getting a fingernail under an edge to start). If there was any residue on the rubber I rolled it off with my thumb. I use Sailor 2-in-1 glue marker on the back. I just apply a fairly thick coat, let it dry, and I'm good to go! It sticks to the blocks, it sticks to the cases (I use the new SU DVD cases, multiple sets in each) - no residue! You can find it HERE. Select supplies>adhesives, then scroll down a bit.

As far as resale - I agree with the others' comments on just doing what works for you! If you're not using and enjoying your stamps NOW, who cares what happens to them in the future? I appall my friend Sherry all the time (she's a stamp purist) because I cut wheels apart to get several images, or cut the sentiment apart from the image on a stamp so I can use it both ways, or cut the stem off the flower so I can stamp in different colors, etc. I use my stamps A LOT MORE if I do what will make it easier and more efficient for ME!

I've attached a couple of pics for reference...
Attached Thumbnails
unmounting stamps - it's awesome!-8-1-stamp-case.jpg   unmounting stamps - it's awesome!-wheels-uncut-cut.jpg  

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #82  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm done! I've un-mounted all of my SU stamps.....except the background, double sided ones and the alphabets. Patiently waiting for 9 packages of dvd cases to come in. They're due in on Thursday. I've already gotten 2 packages and will probably need 2 more. And the best part of this is now I have all of those clamshells to use for storage. I'm storing my momento and chalk dew drops in them. They're perfect for that. And my friend blessed me with all sorts of Images that I'm storing in the clamshells as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #83  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know what guage I bought, but the first 10 sets stuck to the acrylic blocks like a charm. As good if not better than the SU cling mount. The last few sets I did (with the same vinyl) did not cling at all. I tried everything. Has anyone else had this issue. Now I am scared to keep going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #84  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am doing what Sue (gregzgurl) is doing, peeling them off the block, but instead of smearing glue on them I leave them and put tack'npeel right on the acrylic blocks. Then I am done. One sheet of tacknpeel does several blocks - it is sticky and the rubber clings right on it. I get it at Joanne's. eazy peazy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #85  
Glitter Queen

I did find that the vinyl was not sticking sometimes. I cleaned my blocks and wiped the stamp sets off and that worked. I did have a couple of sets with thicker stiff rubber that wanted to curve so they didn't want to stick but I just worked them till I got them to be flat and wiped off the vinyl and block and they work fine.
tack it over and over works great too but I only used that on the very small ones that I didn't want to hassle with the vinyl.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #86  
Die Cut Diva

I just started peeling all of my su sets too.... I took them off the foam and stuck some Alenes tack it over and over.... I didnt do all of them but am now thinking about putting the sticky on the block... that might be a better idea. Wow... so much more space without all those bulky clamshells....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #87  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been using See-D's cling sticky for the back of my stamps that are now unmounted, seems to be working
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 AM   #88  
Die Cut Diva

So, next questions... now that I have them all unmounted... how should I store them... I keep reading what others do, but havent made up my mind yet... and then how to label them to be able to find them again...

Should I sort them by companies? seperate sets... and put sentiments all together or keep sentiments with their sets? Looking for any great ideas... and thank you all for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #89  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmurph36View Post
So, next questions... now that I have them all unmounted... how should I store them... I keep reading what others do, but havent made up my mind yet... and then how to label them to be able to find them again...

Should I sort them by companies? seperate sets... and put sentiments all together or keep sentiments with their sets? Looking for any great ideas... and thank you all for sharing.

I UM all my SU sets over the last year. I used Tack-it-Over, which seems to be working out well. I am storing mine on pages from the old magnetic photo albums pages cut in half. I also stamped the images on a half sheet of cs then put the two in a clear bags I found in a comic book store. I keep them in the photo storage boxes sorted by the categories in the SU catalog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #90  
Watercolor Wizard

I have mine attached to clear acetate (bought from stationary shop) and in an A5 (open card size) binder folder. I have the dividers to separate the groupings, I have 4 folders they stack nicely on my shelf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 04:30 AM   #91  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KduffView Post
I have mine attached to clear acetate (bought from stationary shop) and in an A5 (open card size) binder folder. I have the dividers to separate the groupings, I have 4 folders they stack nicely on my shelf.
Did you stamp the image with Staz on onto the Acetate? Just curious how to see what the image was going to be when I flip throught a book or a box. I like both ideas... I am wondering about the little sayings that are hard to read on the rubber... oh, but if I stamp them and keep it in the folder I could see it. duh, I get it. Thank you for your ideas. Anyone else? any pictures that could help?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #92  
Watercolor Wizard

No because one the stamp has been used with the stayzon ink (I can never get them totally clean even with the cleaner) you can still see the image through the clear acetate, and I have a tendency to not put stamps back in their exact, though very close, to where they were. You could stamp the image on a piece of paper and slip into the sleeve if you need to see more detail of what's on the stamp.

I do put a list of the stamps on the spine of the folder so I can see at a glance what sets or groupings are where and they are easy to go to the right folder at once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #93  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, you galls have beeen busy. I too have been unmounting, have started with my misc stamps as has been said, I was amazed at the stuff I have and the space I now have. Have some that I have a lot of either company or type I store together,...ie: postal, peanuts, fashion,those are a few diferant companies,I have a bunch of stamps that are from Viva Las Vagas Stampers and are so the same style,list as company. Do keep track of company as I do a craft sale each year and need to know for angle policy reasons. I intend to keep my SU sets together and poss combine sets in the same case but stamp immages on paper outside to keep track,photo copy immages and then keep book,other immages from non SU companies I have in 8 1/2x11 thin clam shell like cases from Archivers,put a stamped paper in the cover with contents and labeled as such,...was amazed at the "sayings" that I have.

Thanks so much for bringing up the organazational aspect of this undertaking,...I love to have all my ducks in a row!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #94  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

No because one the stamp has been used with the stayzon ink (I can never get them totally clean even with the cleaner) you can still see the image through the clear acetate, and I have a tendency to not put stamps back in their exact, though very close, to where they were. You could stamp the image on a piece of paper and slip into the sleeve if you need to see more detail of what's on the stamp.

I do put a list of the stamps on the spine of the folder so I can see at a glance what sets or groupings are where and they are easy to go to the right folder at once.
I like your idea. Where do you buy the long size folders? I will keep my eyes posted. I think I can picture what it would look like with the acetate... I have several pieces that I had bought at Staples to use in clear Christmas Ornaments. Thank you all for your help and ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #95  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Quote:

would love a photo. thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #96  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
I am doing what Sue (gregzgurl) is doing, peeling them off the block, but instead of smearing glue on them I leave them and put tack'npeel right on the acrylic blocks. Then I am done. One sheet of tacknpeel does several blocks - it is sticky and the rubber clings right on it. I get it at Joanne's. eazy peazy
I did that initially with mine, too, but the Tack 'n Peel decided to permanently adhere itself to the block, got gunky/linty/ gross over time, etc., and I didn't want it on there when I was using my clear stamps, just my rubber ones, so I took it off and went the other way (Sailor 2-in-1 Glue). The other advantage to having glue on the stamp is that it will stick to the storage case, so you're less likely to lose one... I'm a super-firm believer in doing what works for you, regardless of others' opinions, so if you're loving it, carry on! Just wanted to throw another point of view out there...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #97  
Watercolor Wizard

These are my A5 folders for storing unmounted stamps.
Just on the shelf ( I know the labels look non descriptive but I know what's) in there I swear.
Opened folder, I have both used and a few unused stamps there as I'm sure you can tell, the black from the ink making them easy to see.
I don't usually put paper behind but I did put yellow behind one set of stamps there for you to see how easily they do stand out.
My sleeves are open ended on top but you can get the side zippered sleeves if you want to spend a little more, I used open as I had heaps of them.
Attached Thumbnails
unmounting stamps - it's awesome!-stamp-folders-shelf.jpg   unmounting stamps - it's awesome!-stamp-folders-open.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 AM   #98  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I did that initially with mine, too, but the Tack 'n Peel decided to permanently adhere itself to the block, got gunky/linty/ gross over time, etc., and I didn't want it on there when I was using my clear stamps, just my rubber ones, so I took it off and went the other way (Sailor 2-in-1 Glue). The other advantage to having glue on the stamp is that it will stick to the storage case, so you're less likely to lose one... I'm a super-firm believer in doing what works for you, regardless of others' opinions, so if you're loving it, carry on! Just wanted to throw another point of view out there...
it is supposed to be permanent on the block. When mine get grungy I wash them with soap and water, they become resticky and clean.

I agree with the what works for you, that is why I keep reading these posts, I think someone will come up with yet another thing to try LOL!

Regardless of what method you use for unmounting, I do love the streamline look of the bookshelves with out the bulky clamshells.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #99  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

These are my A5 folders for storing unmounted stamps.
Just on the shelf ( I know the labels look non descriptive but I know what's) in there I swear.
Opened folder, I have both used and a few unused stamps there as I'm sure you can tell, the black from the ink making them easy to see.
I don't usually put paper behind but I did put yellow behind one set of stamps there for you to see how easily they do stand out.
My sleeves are open ended on top but you can get the side zippered sleeves if you want to spend a little more, I used open as I had heaps of them.
Okay.... so I had an Aha moment.... I like to see visual pictures... now I can see what I need to do. I am glad you showed the inside pictures.. Open top ended.. that was another question I had and you answered. Well, this weekend is supposed to rain and it is my weekend off work~ So I think "wink" that I am ready to get organized~ ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2010, 04:02 AM   #100  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Another great point... I do like having the sticky on the rubber to keep them in place. And I agree... everyone has a system that works for them... I am just trying to find my fix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #101  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmurph36View Post
Okay.... so I had an Aha moment.... I like to see visual pictures... now I can see what I need to do. I am glad you showed the inside pictures.. Open top ended.. that was another question I had and you answered. Well, this weekend is supposed to rain and it is my weekend off work~ So I think "wink" that I am ready to get organized~ ;)
No worries, I hope what ever way you decide to store them works, this just works for me nicely
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #102  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissHoxView Post
I mounted mine for cheap, I bought vinyl from J's for about $2.50 a yard (1 yard was more then enough for me) and if my SU set was not yet mounted on the wood I just stuck it onto the vinyl instead and then trimmed it down. If it was already wood mounted I stuck it in the microwave for about 8-10 seconds and peeled the foam and rubber off the block, and then applied tombow multi mono adhesive, let it dry, then stuck it to the vinyl.

It was so easy and cheaper then EZ-mount.
I started to unmount my wooden blocks, using the vinyl method. I was wanting to use the stuffainers containors by stampendous since i had them any way. My problem is that the vinyl isn't sticking very well. I follow the step. Help.. Starting to wonder if I made a big mistake taken off the blocks.... Tracy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #103  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by toosweetboysView Post
I started to unmount my wooden blocks, using the vinyl method. I was wanting to use the stuffainers containors by stampendous since i had them any way. My problem is that the vinyl isn't sticking very well. I follow the step. Help.. Starting to wonder if I made a big mistake taken off the blocks.... Tracy
Do you know that you have the right kind of vinyl? The stuff I looked at at J's was not the right stuff. It should stick to itself when you fold it over & press it to itself. They won't be super sticky. I have also noticed if the block or stamp have a lot of dirt or finger prints on them they won't stick. Just wipe them off with a little water & that should help. I did also notice mine stick better to the blocks & CD cases than they did to the SU case. Must be the type of plastic. If the vinyl is the problem you should be able to peel it off. I got my vinyl at HL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #104  
Mad Swapper

I agree!!!! It's the vinyl! At least that was the problem with mine. It wasn't sticking..and I was getttng frustrated. I got my vinyl at Joannas...it isn't sticky enough. I bought some vinyl here online..and the difference is like night and day!! Problem is, I can't remember where I bought the vinyl! I'm going to look back and see if I can figure it out. If anyone here knows where you can order the right vinyl-I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #105  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KjppView Post
I agree!!!! It's the vinyl! At least that was the problem with mine. It wasn't sticking..and I was getttng frustrated. I got my vinyl at Joannas...it isn't sticky enough. I bought some vinyl here online..and the difference is like night and day!! Problem is, I can't remember where I bought the vinyl! I'm going to look back and see if I can figure it out. If anyone here knows where you can order the right vinyl-I'd appreciate it.
My exact problem - the Vinyl I got at joanns stuck to itself so I thought it was the right stuff, but didn't stick to the acrylic block at all! I'd love to know where you can order it directly too. For now, I just bought one sheet from here:
http://www.stampsomefun.com/converti...o-clear-mount/

I'm going to need much more though, and would like to buy it myself.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #106  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstampinView Post
My exact problem - the Vinyl I got at joanns stuck to itself so I thought it was the right stuff, but didn't stick to the acrylic block at all! I'd love to know where you can order it directly too. For now, I just bought one sheet from here:
http://www.stampsomefun.com/converti...o-clear-mount/

I'm going to need much more though, and would like to buy it myself.
Try here....https://www.ohmycrafts.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #107  
Mad Swapper

Okay...here's the website I bought the cling that REALLY clings. It's more money than the stuff from joanna's, but it works! Right now I have one yard of vinyl from Joanna's that is money down the tubes for me.
I figure for about 10 bucks I will be able to do all my wood mount stamp sets...that's worth the price for me. It's about one dollar a sheet. It's from Stampin.com and it is BEAUTIFUL stuff!
BTW...I don't work for them or know anyone who does...just my humble opinion.
http://www.stampin.com/online/accs/mounts.htm#cling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #108  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

subbing for now...am just now getting all the clear stamps organized...then on to the wood mounted individuals...lots of great ideas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #109  
Matboard Maniac

Subscribing for when I do take the plunge to unmount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #110  
Stazon Splitcoast

subscribing
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #111  
Glitter Queen

I am using the vinyl method for unmounting all my stamps. I ordered the 9x12 sheets of vinyl mentioned somewhere in this thread. They are working great. Have any of you used anything besides tissue paper to stamp your image on? I sometimes have a problem with my tissue tearing or sticking to my work surface after I have applied the mono glue and vinyl. Any ideas. Thank you to everyone who makes this such a great site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #112  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmmieX8View Post
I am using the vinyl method for unmounting all my stamps. I ordered the 9x12 sheets of vinyl mentioned somewhere in this thread. They are working great. Have any of you used anything besides tissue paper to stamp your image on? I sometimes have a problem with my tissue tearing or sticking to my work surface after I have applied the mono glue and vinyl. Any ideas. Thank you to everyone who makes this such a great site.
I had the problem too and tried laying it on waxed paper before applying the glue....worked PERFECTLY...no more sticking....however - I was using Allenes Tac it O & O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #113  
Kookie Creator

Subscribing to this post. Thanks for all the info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #114  
Matboard Maniac

I'm all finished, finally!!!

Here's my blog post on it: http://happy-jeannie.blogspot.com/20...ng-studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #115  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkupahView Post

Here's my blog post on it: http://happy-jeannie.blogspot.com/20...ng-studio.html
Jeannie, That looks so nice. I am in the process of unmounting all of mine too. I have a question. How do you get all of your DVD covers to look the same? Did you make a template? I bought a lot of SU DVD cases for my sets that I am unmounting, but I just can't figure out how to make it look like the SU sets I recently bought that came UM. I really like to have everything look the same. Kind of like many others on this forum. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #116  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindy LittlerView Post
Jeannie, That looks so nice. I am in the process of unmounting all of mine too. I have a question. How do you get all of your DVD covers to look the same? Did you make a template? I bought a lot of SU DVD cases for my sets that I am unmounting, but I just can't figure out how to make it look like the SU sets I recently bought that came UM. I really like to have everything look the same. Kind of like many others on this forum. Thanks
I took computer paper (8.5 X 11), cut it in half and then trimmed to make it 5.5 x 7. This fits perfectly for the front and the spine under the plastic. I took the stamp set title stickers off my cases and put those on the spine, as well as a numbered circle sticker. All stickers are on the paper, not the case. Some day, I'd like to stamp the covers as well, but it's not a priority as all my stamps are stamped in my huge 3 ring binder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2010, 02:05 AM   #117  
Glitter Queen

I had problems with the tissue paper too. Most of mine are SU so I just peeled the label off the block and stuck it on the rubber stamp and put the vinyl over that instead of a stamped tissue image. I cut my vinyl into strips and ran it through my xylon machine to get it to stick to the labels. Works great and I've done this to over 100 sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #118  
Matboard Maniac

a neat idea for people that are nervous about unmounting,use a clear block with poster tape on it till you decide how you want to restick each time.try it with just one set to see if you like the feel of unmounted.the space gain is awesome but i found the biggest factor for me was the better stamped image i got.
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #119  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Source for plastic dvd cases

does anyone know a source for bulk plastic dvd cases like the stampin up ones?
Betti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #120  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkupahView Post

Here's my blog post on it: http://happy-jeannie.blogspot.com/20...ng-studio.html
Would love to see your blog but it says for invited readers only. I am loving stampin ups dvd cases... on a website but a SU demo... she keeps the rubber around the popped out stamps and puts that in her cases to hold the stamps.. it was a pretty clever idea.

Hugs
Jaunice
Reply With Quote Likes