Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Purge or Not to Purge...

That is the question I'm pondering this weekend.

Seriously though, how do you decide what to keep and what to let go? I'm running out of room, so I know I can't realistically keep everything while still adding to my arsenal. I like some of my old stamps, but if I loved them, I'd use them as much, or more, than I use my new ones, right? I've been submitting a lot of work to magazines (and gettting it accepted) so those old stamps have even less value to me now.

So why is it so hard to let go of them? Have you ever done a major purge and regretted it? And if you're happy that you've gone through with it, what tips can you give me for doing my own?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say Purge what you haven't used in a year or two.

If you haven't used them now. You're probably not going to use them ever.

But Keep the ones that have a special meaning to you!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a major purge last year and it felt great! At first I couldn't hardly put anything in the box and by the end it was easy. I started with my paper, some of it was years old but still great for little kids so I donated it. Stickers went to the grandkids. The Alzhieme'rs Unit at my hospital sent out a list of craft supply wishes, I had many things on the list, my dad had Alzhiemer's, so it was easy to donate to them. Now I was on a roll. Tools I hadn't used in years I called a friend of my daughters who was just starting and let her have what she wanted and sent the rest to goodwill. But, man o man, those stamps are hard to purge, but at least I had made some room. I can honestly say I've never thought that I regretted getting rid of anything, most things I hadn't used in a long time and had bought when I first started and thought I needed everything.
Good Luck!
Kathy T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

PURGE!!!! I love doing it!The only thing I have ever regretted getting rid of is the book Photo Freedom. I have since rebought it so no biggie. The thing I try to keep in mind is that if I can't find it, I can't use it, so why keep it? So I say: Purge away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I've never purged stamps. I have gotten rid of piles of cards made @ workshops I really didn't like or had made mistakes on, ribbon I didn't like, older dsp, etc.

I've found many times stamps I don't use a lot for cards I've used in other ways....like to decorate envelopes, through my job {I go into the jail to offer parenting classes and I've had parents make cards to send to their children or through my job for other things} or other things like bookmarks for my book club, etc.

I've read numerous times posts that people have gotten rid of stamps and regretted it and hang on to them now. Other people post they purge and love it. I'm a keeper of stamps myself. Some day I may get rid of a few sets but not many.

Also, I noticed the other day some sets I still love, bought maybe three years ago and used only a few times. It motivated me to get them out and create with them. It stops me from buying new sets when I take an inventory of what I have. I hope that helps me when that new SU catalog comes out.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 05-21-2011 at 01:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I get rid of items when I don't need it any more, upgrading to a different product or improved products, or when it's not my style any more.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I get rid of items when I don't need it any more, upgrading to a different product or improved products, or when it's not my style any more.
I'm getting ready to do this now. There are a lot of older items I still look for in my stash when I'm working on something with a very particular style or theme that I know I have the supplies for. I've been unmounting, reorganizing for a long time now (can only do it in snatches of time due to all the other commitments), but I've found that I have not duplicates in actual stamps, but duplicates of a theme due to upgrading over time or having found something of the same theme that fits my style more. When I first got into stamping, there wasn't nearly so much to choose from, so if I needed something for a particular theme and didn't want to draw it, then I bought what was out there even if it wasn't really to my liking.

There are still some older stamps that I won't get rid of because they still fit my uses, but overall, I have a box I'm slowly filling up. Once I'm sure that I have what I want in there, it will get donated. I'm doing that will all types of things in my house - not just stamping supplies. Feels great, but only because I'm not making rash "oh, just throw it away to free up space" decisions. Maybe I'm over-thinking it and that's why it's really taking me so long, but I've had my husband pull that stuff on me behind my back and I'm still trying to replace what HE thought I didn't need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I did a major purge last year and have not regretted it. I didn't get rid of stamps because I haven't used them as much as I don't care for them. I went through everything in my stamp room and did a harsh reality check with myself on if I was really ever going to use it.

I broke up sets and picked out just the stamps I wanted. It meant I had to take a heavier discount when I sold them but the unused stamps were just taking up space.

I had a lof unfinished projects and I pulled off all the parts I could reuse and tossed the rest. I figured that if I hadn't finished in the last couple of years I was never going to do it.

I looked at partially used things (sticker sheets, left over parts from kits, etc.) and tried to calculate the cost. If I felt that what I used covered the cost then I didn't feel bad about tossing, giving, or selling off what was left. I actually put parts in grab bags and people bought them!

I had "ratty" factor. If I had it for so long that the edges were getting frayed, it was wrinkled, or otherwise looked ratty I tossed it.

Finally there was the out of style factor. If the item is old style that I felt I could make look current or no long applicable to my style of stamping it had to go. I had a lot of paper that I really didn't like anymore.

Tools that never worked as expected or too hard to use like small punches that don't really punch were sold or tossed.

Oh and I can't forget the what was I thinking factor. I'd look at something and wonder why did I buy this and if I couldn't answer I got rid of it.

The final result is that I have more room, I really like what I have and use it and I don't feel guility because I have so much that I don't use. It's really liberating to get rid of the excess. Good luck on the purge and let us know how you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2011, 01:00 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a major purge of the whole house at least twice a year. But recently (last week) had a major clean out of my craft room and listed 78 craft items (mostly stamps) on ebay and my bids are finishing as we type and they are over $600.00 so I say go for it!! it feels great and honestly you are going to really keep what you want and have more cash for what you need now and there is always something new coming out, so don't feel like you need to keep it. I am re-signing up as a SU demonstrator so that's my reasons and it felt really good as i have kept a small pile of stamps I just can't part with yet Enjoy the process and if you are like me you will be able to create more as there is less clutter! Have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2011, 03:56 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I have to purge supplies also. I'm about to set up a craft room. If there are items that are questionable, out they go. I have to be ruthless or I won't get rid of anything.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #11  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

I have this quandary, although it's more what to purge than whether or not. I'm pregnant with #3 and at some point this baby will need a place to sleep. We currently have the boys share a room, a craft room, and a guest room. You can't fit three kids in that room and we don't know yet if this is a boy or a girl. At some point, my craft room and the guest room will combine or I'll move to some other corner of the house. I can go down to bare bones crafting and I pretty much know what I would keep for that - it's similar to the hurricane evacuation list I have to make every year plus cardstock and ink. ;) But I don't want to get rid of stuff that I like and use sometimes if I don't have to. But it's also easier to get in there and clean out now than it will be when baby gets here. So I'm not sure where to draw the line.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Purge it!

I purge my stash about twice a year or so. Usually it's just stamps and decorative paper, but I've also purged some other supplies that I haven't used. I have limited space in the room I craft in, so if I want to buy new things I have to have room for them.

There are so many new and wonderful stamp sets coming out every month, I doubt you will ever regret getting rid of a set. My rule of thumb is if I haven't used it in the past year, then it goes into the "purge basket". It may take me a month or longer to list all of those items for sale, but I know if I haven't gone back into that basket for something before I list those items, then I really didn't need them after all.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I cringe at the thought of parting with something because that will be when I need it or want it (spoke as a true hoarder) I have taken small steps like getting rid of bulky items I planned on altering that just never happened... I still have about 20 of those recipe boxes from M's that I palnned on altering LoL! and alot of other misc. things. but I'm hearing everyones "just do it" and I will have to do it too. good luck Sarah, let us know how you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I may be the first -- I have purged and regretted it. But I comforted myself and moved on. I have learned that there is not one way to purge that works for everyone; I have learned that the professional organizers who say you MUST decide on an item just once -- pick it up, decide immediately -- are wrong for me. I have found the method that works for me and if the professionals don't like tough nuggies for them! I take the stamps I would like to purge and move them to the basement, if I don't pull them out they stay there until I am sure they can go. Only once or twice have I ever pulled something out of the basement -- and I've never regretted my method since! My recommendation is to find what method is comfortable for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Purge!

It's hard but it feels good when you are done. Get rid of the things you haven't used in a year or more. Give it away or sell it if you can, but don't hang onto stuff for months hoping to sell it.

If I get to a crisis point for space, purging is so necessary or I get overwhelmed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I am not good at purging, in terms of just getting rid of stuff. So, my way is more of a compromise between keeping and purging.

1. I unmounted 90% of my rubber stamps, by time I stopped being a SU demo, my collection was over 7,000 images. Some I bought, some I earned, some were gifts, and a good part of my collection came from friends who quit stamping, and could I hold their stamps for them. Unmounting saved so much room, and I was able to keep the stamps. I haven't bought any stamps in 5 years. Getting the stamps off the wood mounts allowed me to keep them without them taking up so much room.

2. Limited shopping. I have plenty of stuff now, so I'm using instead of shopping.

3. Cricut Cartridges, I've been buying those and I've pretty much hit my saturation point. The designs and styles are starting to repeat, so I don't think I'll be doing much more purchasing of those items.

4. I started teaching at the local JoAnn's (it opened a year ago in my town). There was a flurry of purchasing some new tools to go along with the class, but no paper, stamps or punches were needed. I use the money I earn from teaching to cover purchases, no classes, no shopping. That really helps keep things from coming in the house.

5. It is good to go through stuff, get rid of product that has hardened (some glue stuff), one of my stamp pads disintegrated on me, but I don't remember the last time I used it so it's gone and not missed.

6. Don't watch "haul" videos. They're like watching an info-mercial. If I didn't know it was on the market, then I don't want it. I avoid those videos, so I don't get tempted to shop.

7. I did get rid of samples, half projects and such from when I used to be a demo. I got rid of all the paper work, business end of stamping, and also deleted all that type of stuff from my computer. I mixed SU stuff with non SU stuff to consolidate space, and keep like things together so they could be used.

It's still a work in progress as I'm using things up, but I don't feel weighed down with bunches of stuff I don't use, if that makes sense.

Good Luck with your process.

I don't have a room, just a corner in the family room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am in the same spot. We are moving so I am busy packing. Today I start on my craft area and I know I have to purge. But it is going to be hard to get rid of stuff. I just have to remind myself that whatever I sell will go into making an area in the new house a craft room!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I have regretted selling some stamps. Some I don't but those I do I kick myself....
That said unless I really don't like the stamps or set at all or have something similar, I will let it go otherwise I keep it. I have spent hours looking for a stamp/set and then realize I sold it! Then I was so bummed so I don't sell much anymore. I am at a point now where there isn't much I don't have in the form of a stamp so I'm not buying much. I have to NOT have something similar to justify getting new stamps. Unless they are nice looking horses, leaves or trees, my weakness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Default My aunt's purge... maybe mine soon?

My aunt got rid of a bunch of her stamps and later regretted it. She wondered if she'd sent any to me. What she missed were large images, flowers and such (probably a sunflower, as she's really into them). The only stamps she'd sent me were small images, not the ones she wanted when she got into stamping again.

I got rid of a cheapo Easter set, which I haven't missed. I've got a box with stuff for either a yard sale or a stamp swap. Mostly gift stamps I never cared for.

I'm thinking of getting rid of a bunch of licensed character image stamps, since I haven't really used them except Winnie-the-Pooh.

I have some very small duplicate stamps (Inkadinkado Cuties), which I'm considering mounting several together on one block to make a stamp with multiple images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I have 'purged before' and it was tough. I did end up selling some things I later regretted having sold. I also bought a lot of things I later regretted having bought.

The thing I needed to discover was my own 'stamping voice' - what really drew me and what really resonated with me in terms of the whole thing - stamps, tools, embellishments - the whole she-bang.

Once I discovered that - it's been a breeze to sort through and donate or sell the items I don't use. If I look at an item and it doesn't pluck a creative string - it's out.

Sometimes the string responds very softly and so I hang onto that thing for a while longer. I test it again and it will be clearer as to whether it stays or whether it goes.

I hope this helps someone ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I would love to purge but I am a total pack rat. I am seriously overflowing in stacks of paper and other items. I am easilky sucked in by a sale. I am going to take someone lese's advice from an earlier post and remove 1/2 finished projects and items that I have not used in a while. I will put them in a box in the back room for a while. Then if I don't get them out I will give them away.
Thanks for the inspiration to even start this task!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with QueenMary, who said you should purge to the basement and wait a minute before you get rid of something forever. You paid really good money for this stuff once upon a time! Keep in mind that one reason to purge is to have room for more stuff- is that really what you want? NEVER get rid of something you love- a stamp, a paper pack, just because it's old.

I read something very recently that gave a good rule of thumb for purging- Think About The Now. How do you craft NOW? Don't feel guilt because you crafted a certain style in the past and have items left from those days. Don't think about how you MIGHT craft in the future. I picked up a bunch of books at a yard sale couple years ago, and I have never altered them. I don't see myself sitting down in the near future to alter them. Don't know what the far future will bring, but if I ever decide to alter a used book, there will always be more out there. They get purged.

How do you craft NOW?

-c
stARTing over
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

I have purged a little in the past. What I did was store the things I didn't want or used in a box and stashed it in our attic. I just pulled that box back out of the attic almost a year later and didn't miss anything except 1 item. Probably because I bought new stuff and forgot about the old stuff.

For those of you who have purged in the past, did you sell your items or donated them? I gave away a few items to family and friends, but there's still some stuff left I'm not sure what to do with. I thought about donating to school or children's hospital. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I gave a lot of stuff to my nieces and sister and so glad I did.
makes me see what i do have and use it up ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

When I started a new organization/storage/index system for my stamps a couple of months ago, I realized a few things that have helped me purge some of them - like how many I had that I hadn't used and wondered why, and how many of one theme/type of image I had, and that I didn't love and/or need them all (like snowflakes and hearts - GAH! SO MANY of them!). In order to decide which to keep and which to purge, I ask myself several questions:
  • Would I cry if it was lost or destroyed (as opposed to giving it away)?
  • Do I have at least one solid idea of what I will make with it?
  • Do I have other similar images that I like better?
  • If it was on a "disontinued" list, would I not care, or would I have to buy it before it was gone?
  • Is it still "my style", or have I moved in other directions?
  • Does it make my heart happy, even if it never sees ink?

I can't go with the "if you haven't used it in a year" line of thinking, because many of my stamps have NEVER seen ink, but I still love 'em! That's the main reason for the massive re-org: so I can SEE them and USE them all!

I'm also trying to come up with as many alternative uses for them as possible, beyond cards and scrapbooks - home dec items, mini art pieces, jewelry, etc., so they see more use and I'm justified in keeping them.

I've never regretted any of the stamps I've purged, just the ones I didn't buy before they were retired or the company closed its doors (Cornish Heritage Farms, for example...) Good luck whatever you decide!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Forgot to mention that every summer our LSS has a "yard sale" - you can buy a table for ten bucks and sell anything/everything you want to purge from your craft room! This year is the first year I'm participating (splitting a table with my BFF)- I'll report back after the fact (it's June 4th)! Whatever doesn't sell is going to Girl Scouts or schools or nursing homes or wherever...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

sue what store is this? i might just drive on over. i'm south of syracuse. but love to drive for stamping! & sales!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #28  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
sue what store is this? i might just drive on over. i'm south of syracuse. but love to drive for stamping! & sales!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One stamper's purge is another stamper's treasure .

Back to OT ... Congrats and good luck. We moved twice since 2009 so I had to do some purging. Mostly I got rid of "cheap" stamps although I still own several purchased years ago at The Dollar Tree that are as nice or better quality than more recent $1-stamp purchases from the chain stores. I donated or tossed paper and embellishments that I was "tired of seeing"

I didn't really get rid of too much stuff ... I just avoided shopping in the months before and after moving so I "purged" by not buying LOL. Usually I look on the ISO threads and decide if I want cash more than I want my set (if I own something that is listed). I almost always want the stamps!

Knowing your current style helps with purging and with making smarter purchases. But also look ahead to the types of images you may need in the next year or so ... for example I don't generally buy "cute" stamps but we have 6 close family members under the age of 7 so I do look for some on clearance.

Packing whatever you store "nearby" in easy-to-access containers by theme or season seems like a good idea. I hope you find a solution that works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

Thanks to everyone for all of the tips!

I already have a purgatory box that I use to hold things I no longer want as I come across them. Very few things have come back out, which I'm happy about. I just have yet to sit down with the intention to purge stamps, so the box isn't as full as I might like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
It's at Stampin' and Scrappin' Time in Bridgeport. Take 81 North to the Cicero/Bridgeport exit and take a right on Route 31. Follow it all the way to Bridgeport, and the store is on the right a block or two past the first stoplight once you hit the town itself. The sale is in front of the store in the parking lot - !0:00 am until 3:00 pm - come say hi!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I purge regularly and I do not regret doing that, only regret buying all the stuff I never used and spent money on. I have one instance where I got rid of a stamp set and needed it for a wedding invitation and ended up rebuying it on ebay.

I say go for it.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

A lot of the posts have inspired me, not to purge, but try unmounting older sets. That way I could free up space, and see if I like them unmounted. I have been using more cling style stamps, and do like that they store in smaller spaces. I feel a Memorial Day project coming on...! :-)

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else.� Judy Garland
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #33  
Embossing Fanatic

I try to purge, but it is very hard. Instead there is a little girl at my church. So I just go through my stuff and say is this something she would want or use, and then I put it in a bag and give it to her grandma. I am going to try to do that again tonight. Thanks for the inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

I also hang onto a lot of things I dont use much, but I do pass on quite a lot to youngsters that have just started to craft. Just recently I thought about getting rid of my Lac� templates which I hadn't used for ages but it seems that there is a revival of this work so I think I will hold on to them for just a bit longer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I *TRY* to purge often -- to get rid of what no longer "fits" with my crafting now.
However I am a stamphog and still have too much, but I am constantly attempting to keep only what I use or love.

A card swap group I'm had a rummage sale type thing during one of our swaps... that was fun seeing what your fellow stampers want to get rid of! (OK I did purchase, but only two stamps and some free ribbon!)

A LSS had a trash to treasure sale recently as well. For $15 we got to sell 100 items and got back 90% (in store credit, mwahahah) and I made over $200! So far I haven't bought anything from the store for myself, but I did give my mom a gift card to the store for mother's day! And I'm suspecting my local stamping friends may get the same for their birthdays in the near future...

To the OP, right at this moment I can't think of anything that I regret giving up. There was one stamp set that a friend asked to borrow last christmas, we were both sure I had it, but I couldn't find it and figured that i had sold it. Well a couple months later I was organizing my room and there it was! So for that particular set, I was really glad to have kept it --- I wanted to use it over the holidays too. So I did hold onto that one and gladly! Other than that, I have no regrets kicking out any of my stuff.

If you are "still adding to your arsenal" then yes, I think you should get rid of the things that truly don't thrill you any more, to make room for new thrilling purchases. If you were in the situation where you know you absolutely won't be getting any new toys for the foreseeable future, then that would be a time to hold onto everything.

Good luck, remember it's a continual process, not just a one-time deal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
It's at Stampin' and Scrappin' Time in Bridgeport. Take 81 North to the Cicero/Bridgeport exit and take a right on Route 31. Follow it all the way to Bridgeport, and the store is on the right a block or two past the first stoplight once you hit the town itself. The sale is in front of the store in the parking lot - !0:00 am until 3:00 pm - come say hi!
i go there a lot. how close are you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

I have a beautiful craft room with adequate, but limited storage. I decide to purge when I can't fit something in where it belongs. I'm a "there's a place for everything and everything in its place" kind of gal. So I look for similar or not so jazzed about items and purge those. That's my method of choosing, weird as it is, it works for me. I have never sold anything I have purged, but rather give it away. There is always someone who will take it. Good luck on your purging. It feels goo to have things you love and use and room to store them safely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #38  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Purge! Bless someone else with what you don't love, don't need or don't use. Late last night I went through a box of SU! sets that I unmounted but haven't put cling or repositionable glue on yet and purged over 20 sets that I'm putting in flat rate boxes and shipping to From Our Hearts so they can use them for making cards for our troops. These sets have been in a box for over 6-12 months so why am I keeping them?? If there was one stamp in the set that I liked I did keep that one...gasp! I know...breaking up a set! Why not if you like just one out of the bunch?? I know I don't want to bother to sell so I choose to donate instead.

The chaos of stamping stuff that spilled out of my craft room and into my dressing room (tiny bedroom used as my closet because our old farm house has only one closet) and the living room. DH doesn't use the living room (he has a den) but still shakes his head and makes comments about buying "silly stuff" so I HAVE to get my "silly stuff" sorted, purged, and organized.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

great start arlene !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

I�m a compulsive shopper so I�ve always got more stuff than I need. I�ve done major purging three times in the last two years. I�ve also done several small purges. Part of what motivates me to purge is when I can�t find what I�m looking for and I get so frustrated because I know it�s there somewhere. The other thing that motivates me is when I can�t get into my craft room to work because I have so much junk in there. I�ve given away almost everything I�ve let go of, either to friends or various charities. I gave one carload of stuff to someone who sold it for me but I hate trying to sell stuff so I just give it away. (Why the heck did I become a demonstrator?)

There have been a few things I�ve regretted giving away but considering the massive amount of stuff I have gotten rid of there hasn�t been much that I�ve missed.

I almost never use anything that is not current SU so I�m considering doing another large purge, maybe after the new catty comes out. It�s very tempting to try to sell things when I hear about the money people make on eBay. But I remember the yard sales that I�ve done in the past. I put a ton of work into them and barely make a couple of dollars off of them. Like I said, I am not good at selling.

I know things are going to be different now that I�m not working and have no income. I used to not worry about how much I spent (well not a whole lot anyway). I figured if I paid my bills and put some in savings I could spend whatever was left over. Obviously that is no longer an option so selling my unused stuff has a whole other dynamic to it now.

One way to decide if you can part with something without missing it is to pack it up in a box and then put the box in the garage or in the back of a closet or somewhere then see if you miss it enough to take the trouble of getting it back out of the box to use it.

Good luck on your purging and let us know how it goes for you.
Reply With Quote Likes