Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Packing for a weekend crop

Have any of you found any totes, or bags, etc. when you go to a crop perfect for packing scrapbook/stamping supplies? Do you take lots or stream line? Do you take your cricut with you or do that part at home?
I have tried all sorts of bags/totes. I find as I get older, the hauling and the lifting up and down the stairs to get to the car to lift it into the trunk is not as easy as it used be - especially years ago when I had a son at home to do the lifting for me!
So, tell me what is your favorite? I have several 'scrapbook bags', some 31 bags, some other big generic bags, a big toolbox. Do any of you keep a bag well supplied with duplicate tools so you can easily pack and go?
Please share. I like seeing/hearing what others do.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 03:23 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I come up with projects. I put things together so I'm only taking those things needed to complete the projects. That lighten's my load a lot.

Quite a few people do this even if it's just for pages they want to complete for scrapbooks.

As far as totes I use the scrapbooking totes I have from ages ago. I've found that if I will need smaller tools I put those in the larger tote and the projects in my smaller tote.

I wouldn't take my Cricut. I don't want to haul something that large. Your destination may have a Cricut for you to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 06:40 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't do many weekend crops (though I'm hoping to do one sometime in the future) but I do participate in an all day crop every year in April. I go with 2 other people so we combine all our stuff together but... I have a Crop N Style tote that I use as well as a desktop organizer that I use all the time. I also have a small bag that I use and a crop and carry bag. My mom had a rolling cart that she brings as well as a smaller bag and my best friend who comes with us brings her backpack and usually uses a smaller bag of ours are well. We also have other bags that we use for overflow if we need to.

I don't plan ahead and take basically everything. I'm just not a plan ahead kind of person when it comes to creating. Obviously I can't take all my stuff though so I always bring post it notes in case I can't finish something with the supplies I have at the crop I can put a post it on the card and finish it when I get home.

I wouldn't bring my cricut or my scan n cut with me to the crop but I do bring a few cartridges because the crop I attend does have a cricut you can use but only so many cartridges. You should be able to check with the location to see if they will have a cricut there. I do always bring my cuttlebug though. However the location does provide a few manual die cut machines as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a smallish tote with an open top and lots of sections and pockets on the outside. It holds my tools - bone folder, clear blocks, stamp cleaner, some punches, some basic ink pads, etc.

And lately I've been trying to only bring what I need for the projects I'm going to work on. It lightens the load a lot!!

I'm still working on my December album and will be scrapping with friends this Saturday. I have all my stuff for it on/in my Raskog cart (from Ikea). I'm going to try and bring the Raskog with me. This will be a first time, and a trial. The biggest trick (for me) will be not tipping it over when I'm driving. Maybe I could seatbelt him in.
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have those rolling (2) carts that folds up (a cube with wheels and an expandable handle) the kind that you buy at Office Depot. They hold my Cuttle bug and all my dies. I have a plastic hinged lid box that holds my paper. And a small tote for scissors, pens and glue...etc. I used to use a scrap tote but it was really too small.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
I have those rolling (2) carts that folds up (a cube with wheels and an expandable handle) the kind that you buy at Office Depot. They hold my Cuttle bug and all my dies. I have a plastic hinged lid box that holds my paper. And a small tote for scissors, pens and glue...etc. I used to use a scrap tote but it was really too small.
so you get all your tsuff into these two carts? Mmmm........ sounds interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't go to many but I always take too much when I do. I can never decide on what I want to work on so I take more than I'd ever need. If a Big Shot isn't available at the crop, I coordinate with friends so we all don't have to lug these with us. I use a "Fat Max and a Baby Max" plus a couple of bags. My husband helps me lift them into our truck or car. The Fat Max can be quite heavy when loaded up with cardstock and dies.

Here's a Fat Max with no bling:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/333055334917957752/

And here's one blinged out:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/194991858840002493/

And here's the Baby Max blinged out:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/355362226826606873/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

This style is also popular with many of my fellow crafters. The repeatedly fill it with tote bins and make several lighter trips to and from their vehicle and into the crop.

Mac Sports Red Folding Wagon Collapsible Utility Cart Sports Picnics Camping | eBay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 06:57 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDmaryView Post
so you get all your tsuff into these two carts? Mmmm........ sounds interesting.
I actually do. All I take to my weekend crops are those 2 rolling carts, my trimmer and the little tote. Since I don't stay the night I can zip in there and set up and be crafting immediately. I do take a folding footstool sometimes (old lady with circulation problems).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 05:47 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm like Southgirl. When I go to a stamping retreat, I take a rolling cart with drawers. I use a bungee cord to hold the drawers shut in transport. It easily fits standing up in my backseat (a sedan even, not a big SUV). I also take an organizer caddy with frequently used tools for the tabletop. I set the cart next to my chair (bonus if it can slide under the table, so don't get a super tall one). It leaves me a lot more work surface free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenda71View Post
I have a smallish tote with an open top and lots of sections and pockets on the outside. It holds my tools - bone folder, clear blocks, stamp cleaner, some punches, some basic ink pads, etc.

And lately I've been trying to only bring what I need for the projects I'm going to work on. It lightens the load a lot!!

I'm still working on my December album and will be scrapping with friends this Saturday. I have all my stuff for it on/in my Raskog cart (from Ikea). I'm going to try and bring the Raskog with me. This will be a first time, and a trial. The biggest trick (for me) will be not tipping it over when I'm driving. Maybe I could seatbelt him in.
Could you use press and seal saran wrap to keep items from falling out?

http://craftermeetstamper.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just finished making a tool kit for crops or to take to classes. I used a Close To My Heart box (the ones that hold 20 stamps) and it's the perfect size. I have adhesive, stamp blocks, pens, black ink pad, scissors etc. All of the little things you need to take to a crop. I can just grab it and go.

I also bring a folding tray table (the kind for breakfast in bed). It has no lip on it and it is perfect for setting up on my crop table for extra space (I can put my big shot on it or 12 x 12 bins with paper/projects). I love it! Bonus I found it at the dollar store for $3! Before I got this, I used to bring a tv table to set up beside my chair for extra space.

I use a few different options depending on how long the crop is. I have a collapsible rolling cube that I like as it holds the 12 x 12 plastic boxes. Love that it's on wheels. I also have a tool box (similar in idea to the fat max type box but not as big) that holds paper in the bottom and room for stamps and ink etc up in the top half. I like that it isn't as big so not as heave to carry.

I try to have some sort of plan before I go. I bring basic card stocks and a few coordinating colors of ink/paper. I also like to bring kits to a crop and I bring those and paper pumpkin kits. Easy to whip them up. I have learned that after I pack I can probably remove about half of what I have. I always seem to be able to make do with what I have brought.

My friends and I share a big shot as well to save carrying heavy things.

I am more of a card maker so might be different for a scrapbooker.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

And one time at a crop I used my stroller to carry everything in :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bencer99View Post
Could you use press and seal saran wrap to keep items from falling out?
Ha!! I did bring Cling Wrap with me, in case I needed it on the way home. I seatbelted it in the front passenger seat. I'm sure whoever saw me thought I was nuts. Oh well!!

On the way home I snuggled it my back end. I have a Sienna van and the third row is split. And the seats fold into the floor when you fold them up. I folded the larger section up and put the Raskog into the smaller area left on the floor.

To top it off it was raining Saturday. Mostly sprinkling though, but I did bring a large trash bag with me just in case.

It was nice to have with me, but I'm not sure I would bring it again as it was a bit of hassle to travel with. I love them in my craft room though, and actually ordered my 2nd one last week. I received it Friday and put it together Friday night. I put the top "basket" on upside down so it's now my BigShot cart. Love it!!
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Chiming in late . . .
Several of my scrapbooking friends love their Stanley FatMax, but that beast is way too bulky for me and would be much too heavy for this ol' broad to lift out of my trunk.

I often take:
**Medium size rolling tote--old and in desperate need of replacing, but I'm not sure what I want to get in its place.
**Medium suitcase on wheels (for my clothes)
**Small suitcase (if I take my Silhouette. When I do, my ribbon goes in here, too.) The suitcases strap together so I can pull them both with one hand.
**Paper/file tote exactly like this one: http://www.amazon.com/IRIS-Scrapbook-File-Box-Clear/dp/B000KA4WLILarge desktop tote for my tools, scissors, rulers, pens, paper towels, etc.
Sometimes, not always, I will take along four small Plano boxes filed with bling: Plano 1354 4-By Rack System Tackle Box - 121642, Tackle Boxes at Sportsman's Guide

If I put together page kits ahead of time, I don't need to take my bling boxes or my Silhouette suitcase.

I noticed that your name is SDmary. Are you in San Diego?
If so, will you be staying at one of the Scrap Inn? I've not been at the new house, but used to stay at the one in Escondido. Last six or so crops we've stayed at the French Valley scrap house in the Winchester/Temecula area?
Reply With Quote Likes