Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving! How to pack stamp stuff without it being a mess?

So we're being moved to Germany. Before that (in the next 2 weeks) we're moving to my parents since we found a renter for our house.

I need advice on how to pack all of my scraping stuff so it's organized (that way if I get the urge to create I can while living at my parents) and so that it looks like less than it really is. I don't think hubby realizes how much stuff I have!

I need to pair it down some too - and I'm trying to do that - it's just hard because I have more ideas than time usually!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I need tips on how to organize it in a small space - we're going from a 2200 sq ft home, to a 2 bedroom apartment in Germany.

Proud EOD wife, and SAHM to Bekah Jo - getting bigger by the day!

Crafty Rika
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

wow, that is going to be challenging. I have moved 3 or 4 times with all my scrapbooking stuff. I organized it with all the stamps in one box, all the papers in another and so on, I labeled every box with what was in it so it made it much easier to unpack. good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

First thing I would do is put together some supplies and pack them in a box that would be accessible at your parents house and at your apartment so that you can get to it before unpacking everything.

Next I would go through your supplies and weed out every thing you can bare to part with.

If you're really serious about not letting your husband know how much stuff you have pack it under other things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would try to pare down first, before you pack. Be as ruthless as you can.

Then, I'd put the "must have to create's" in one box - trimmer, adhesive, scorpal, bone folder, etc. The stuff you HAVE to have to make anything.

Then a box each for stamps, paper, embellies, etc. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenWI409View Post
I would try to pare down first, before you pack. Be as ruthless as you can.

Then, I'd put the "must have to create's" in one box - trimmer, adhesive, scor-pal, bone folder, etc. The stuff you HAVE to have to make anything.

Then a box each for stamps, paper, embellies, etc. Good luck!
I have moved several times and movers put boxes where they will fit on a truck and don't worry if things in the box will get crushed . Moving boxes are not sturdy as they once were.

I bought 4 large rubber maid tubs with lids and packed everything in those that would not be ruined if they piled the end tables on them . I taped the rubber-maids with duck tape so the lids would not come off.

Try to pack like things together, but keep a pile of very small things and fill in ALL spare spaces with the tiny things. Don't use newspaper or other packing materials to fill in space . You will be amazed at how many small things you can fit in a box after it appears to be full. You can always find space for a bone folder, ruler, H20 pots, packet of brads , sponges etc. The tighter the box is packed the less chance of things shifting and breaking.
The goal is to get it there in one piece. you can sort it out when you get there
Put all opened jars or bottles such as embossing powder, glitter, glue etc in plastic sandwich bags and tape closed

Remove all ribbon from the spools and wrap on something. Those spools take up a lot of space.

If you must wrap something use tissue paper . It takes less space and weights less than newspaper. Movers often charge by weight and miles

Don't get rid of things you like and may not be able to buy in Germany. Leave them at your Mother's . She could mail them to you if needed .

Mark the boxes with a NUMBER and list the contents in a note book as you pack it . This way if you want your Scor-tape you can look in the note book and see it is in box #11 . Number boxes of household items too and note the contents in the notebook . This way you can find the important things immediately after you arrive .
Move the note book in your purse!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

for the box of must haves (I'm a fan of that and lived for over 18 months from one!) make of list of what you will need to make between now and when you expect to have complete access again and then put supplies to fill that list in your temporary supply box and give yourself time at the other end of the move (don't expect to be unpacked and making a card the day of the move etc).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks everyone. Luckily we don't have to worry too much about the weight of the packing stuff since the military pays for it all.

I'll definitely be taking your advice as I try to organize and pack things this week.

Proud EOD wife, and SAHM to Bekah Jo - getting bigger by the day!

Crafty Rika
Reply With Quote Likes