Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 682 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Michaels White Cubes to hang 12x12 DSP...What do you think of them?

Has anyone purchased the White Cubes to hold 12x12 DSP at Michaels? They are the ones that have four hanging file folders in them, and are part of a set where one can buy all sorts of craft storage things and put them together. I need a way to store my gigantic amount of DSP. I bought a rolling rack but it fit only about 1/4 of the DSP I have (ackk!), and I can't fit another rolling rack in my Craft Room, so I need another solution. I was hoping these cubes from Michaels would work, and I could stack them one on top of another. They run about $39.99, and although I will use my 40%-off coupon on them, I would love to hear some feedback from any who are using them:

-Are they hard to assemble?

-Does SU DSP fit in without getting bent?

-Do they stack well?

-Any other comments?

TIA! :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a lot of the cubes in my room but I buy the 3 drawer type and lay my paper in them. I label the drawers with what is in them. This works great for me. I think I have some pictures in my gallery of how I am using the cubes. I love them.
Not difficult to assemble..I have my sweet hubby do it..lol They stack well...plenty of room for DSP in the 3 drawer style.. I want more and more of these just no room to put many more...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Amber for answering some of my questions. :-)

I am still interested if anyone has the Michaels White Cubes that have four hanging file folders in them that hold 12x12 DSP, since I prefer to view my Cardstock and DSP this way rather than flat.

LM :-)

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I have one and I really like it. I can't answer regarding SU 12X12 since I don't own any but I have all my Basic Grey, DCVW and Tim Holtz in there with no problems. My biggest peeve is that I can't find any more folders.... I bought some at HL but they were too big :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

These units were discussed last month in the thread linked below.

Michael's hanging file storage cube question by PH in VA at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 05:27 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I have two of these units - to answer your questions:

Are they hard to assemble? I had the first one together in under 15 minutes, and needed only a Phillips head screwdriver.

Does SU DSP fit in without getting bent? I don't have any SU DSP, but every brand that I have fits, including the brand that is about 12-1/2" long in one direction (it has a strip to cut off with the brand & color of the paper printed on it).

Do they stack well? Very easy to stack. They come with predrilled holes on the top & side panel and dowels to stick in to hold the cubes together. If you decide not to stack, they come with little white plugs to cover those holes with as well.

Any other comments? I also haven't been able to find more folders, and the four that come with each unit are definitely not enough. Supposedly Michaels is supposed to be getting these in sometime in August, but August is 2/3 gone and no sign of them here, yet. Also, these particular units do not have a bottom in the drawer, so it will work only for holding paper in hanging files - and they fit only their own brand of hanging file. I covered the folders that did come with the units with clear contact paper to make them more durable, and I'm trying to come up with an alternate folder, but it involves cutting the metal piece from a legal size hanging folder and putting it back together and I'd really rather wait for Michaels to get the actual folders!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default cbet..

Cheryl...Thanks so very much for your detailed reply. I wasn't sure if I was going to get it, after reading a lot of negative reviews on another thread, but I now think that I will buy one to start, and see how I like it. Thanks for the tip on adding clear contact paper to make the folders more durable. :-) LM

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

I bought a similar type of cube when they were sold at Target. The brand I bought did not come with folders. I ended up buying them from JoAnns online and they were pricey. I loved the cubes until they both broke. The cubes were made of particle board which had a small hole that held a metal dowel. The weight of all the paper made the corner of the cube break where the rod was inserted. Not only was I out the $24.99 for each cube, but also the $$ I spent on the special 12 X 12 folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Thank you for asking-I was thinking of getting some in my room and didn't see the older thread.

For folders, you can make them using 2 regular hanging folders and some tape. I've done this and while it's not exactly pretty, it does work. I'm pretty sure the regular folders are not acid free. I don't worry about it though.
Gale - the problem is the rods in the JetMax cubes are too far apart for a standard hanging folder and too close together for a legal hanging folder. I seem to recall someone on another thread tried the Crop in Style 12" hanging folders and that they didn't fit either - so, you're limited to the folders that are made for these cubes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good news...Michaels has all of the Jetmax cubes and whatnot at 40% off this week AND they have the 12 x12 Hanging Folders too, sold in packages of 6! Yay. (Now I just wish the Michaels in my area would get the ATG Gun. :-) LM

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Default cube storage question

Hi!,
I had the same problem and didn't particularly like my large and heavy white wire paper racks (I bought them from a scrapbooking store that was closing). I have stacked mine and like the look. They fit 12x12 paper with room to spare. They are easy to assemble too. Just be careful because they can get nicked easy and if something rubs up against them It's hard to get off. For the price though, not bad. My husband never gets around to making all the stuff he says he can for my craft room. I saw a picture in a magazine recently (BH and Gardens Secrets of Betting Organized, Spring 2010 page 101) where they cut out a piece of mdf (particle board) to look like a counter top and it looked great! I'm not sure how they painted it white to look so nice but, it gave you storage space on top and made it look as though it (the cubes) were of a better quality then we know they are. Hope this helps!

Milo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2010, 03:55 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

My Michaels carries the pink ATG gun but they never have it in stock!?!? I asked them if they could order it and they told me no but when I called Scotch and they said Michaels is the only distributor for that particular gun and that they can special order it for me. I haven't had the guts to call Michaels back and make demands yet. I'll probably just keep calling Michaels then maybe they'll order extras to get me to stop calling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yayy..I was able to organized all of my SU DSP into the three Jetmax Hanging DSP Cubes. I stacked them one on top of another vertically. I am VERY pleased with how they look, and how accessible my DSP is now to me. Now that I finally have that all organized, I can start stamping again! Woo Hoo! :-) LM

Last edited by LMstamps; 08-31-2010 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2010, 03:21 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

The hanging rods of my Jetmax cubes were too short so once I loaded the paper the rods would eventually fall out of the holes. JetMax replaced the rods but they are the same as what I had.

I modified the cubes and so far they are holding the paper and I think I like the way this works. There are multiple pictures in my gallery to explain what I did. See the general concept here. If you want to know more you can view the other pics.
Reply With Quote Likes