Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,042 Likes on 478 Posts
Default If You Use Avery Elle Pouches to Store Your Stamps....

I have a few questions!!

1) Do you think it's okay to store stamps and dies together? For instance, if I have a Stampin Up Red Rubber or Photopolymer stamp set & slip it into an Avery Elle (or SSS, Ellen Hutson, etc) sleeve & put the dies on the opposite side of the laminated sheet?

2) Have you stored stamps this way long-term (like more than six months or a year?) If so, has there been any issue with stamps getting "smooshed" and not stamping correctly?

I'm getting oh-so-very-close to getting started on a major organization kick. We've got construction (repair) happening at our house and I'll have an extra room to stage ALL my stash in, away from sight, so I can go through it all. I have way too many stamps. WAY. Two of my friends are going to come over once I get them all in one huge space and help me sort them (Christmas, Sympathy, and I'll prolly need a full room just for all the generic florals!) into categories to go through. I don't need 15 balloon sets or 25 different cakes....right? At any rate, once I get that done I need to have a plan. It's going to be well into the school year but I don't want to waste money on something I regret!

I'd really like all the pouch/envelope sizes to be uniform, but I think that's a little out of reach right now. I don't need huge storage for single stamps. I'll figure out that part later....but for now I need some advice from those who've done it already! I don't want to ruin what I plan to keep.
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by NavyWyf:
MangieB (07-09-2021), okienurse (07-08-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

How fun! I know it's a lot to go through and declutter the stash, but it's going to be awesome when you are done!

I use pouches for the majority of my stamps and am really liking this system. I switched over to this type of storage about two years ago. It saves so much space. I still have my SU sets in their packaging, but will be changing them over once I do my own yearly decluttering

I have the dies with some of the sets. I don't do this for the ones including dies I will want to use without the set. For example, I have a "hello" die and coordinating stamp set. I keep a die cut of the word in there to remind me I have the die but keep the die itself with the others I use all the time. (Hope this makes sense…)

I have not noticed any damage to the stamps. I don't know if it helps, but mine re not tightly stored in container. Each of my categories have space so perhaps that makes a difference.

My envelopes are not uniform size, but I can see why that would appeal visually. I use the pouch size that best fits the set size. For some recent purchases, I've opted to trim off the top of the acetate packaging they arrive in; it fits the set well and I can just slip the set out of the top when I'm ready to use. I'll switch over to a sturdier pouch when the packaging wears out but they're holding up suprisingly well.

Have fun!

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
NavyWyf (07-04-2021), patiak (10-02-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

Oh boy! That actually sounds fun to me! Lucky you!

I store lots of things in the pockets...including stamp/die sets and then they are in plastic shoe boxes with the lids off by category...just as my dies are, EFs and stencils...

I agree w Adriana. I have not have problems with damaged stamps but I keep them loosely in the box...so I use a knock off pocket. Not as strong but way cheaper. I cut cardboard/chipboard to fit and then slide the stamp set in front and the dies with magnetic sheet in the back-depending on the die size it might just be enough to hold them. Label the top and I am done.

I personally would never remember if I don't keep them together even with a prompt like Adriana.

Took me a long time to start getting sets with dies. Nowadays I might get an older set on deep discount or pick up the dies really cheap and pair them with stamps I already have. I dont like the way some dies cut characters anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
fl_beachbum (07-04-2021), NavyWyf (07-04-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 04:13 AM   #4  

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
I still have my SU sets in their packaging, but will be changing them over once I do my own yearly decluttering
Right now, as catalogs change over, I put all my stuff boxes to be added to my personal collection "later." That's not working because I have all of my current stamps (well, my current "everything") handy and in it's packaging in my studio but all my retired stuff disappears into the basement in a box until I have time to do it. The opportunity to take everything out of my studio and my classroom while we lay flooring, then put it all back just begs to be done differently! I think I'll probably do what you're doing - keep my current stuff in the packaging but once I make that decision to keep it after retirement, I'll store it in a sleeve.

I have a ton of stuff. Two of my friends have offered to come over and help me sort once I have it all in one place, I'm so glad for the help!!
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2021, 05:29 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also use Avery Elle pouches and always include my matching dies in the same pouch as the stamps--whether they are clear stamps or made of rubber. It works great for me. Also saves time in searching for the dies and it saves me space since I don't have to have them in two separate spaces. I have never had a problem with this kind of storage. I really like it, in fact.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by dfmorgan:
Farmeranne (09-21-2021), NavyWyf (07-04-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 05:50 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I always store matching stamps and dies together in envelopes. They "live" with the stamps in my stamp storage bins. I've been doing this for at least 5 years (probably more), and I haven't noticed any damage at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
Farmeranne (09-21-2021), NavyWyf (07-04-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 06:21 AM   #7  

I'm so glad everyone chimed in on this....I have a LOT of the pouches that I've purchased little by little, knowing I would like to use them. I have some of the magnet cards from Stamp N Storage that I thought I'd use as well as other magnets, but before I started I wanted to make sure I wouldn't hurt the stamps that I'd really like to keep!

I have a huge cabinet with deep storage that I keep all of my older wooden stamps & cases in. The thought of unmounting all of that and re-storing it a different way kind of freaks me out so I'll probably do that last.

I've read in this forum before that stampers (crafters) can be organization junkies. That seems to fit me. Not the *actual* organization, but the ideas and solutions. I've thought & thought about this for years. I have TONS of organization boxes, bins, decorative solutions, etc, that I've never used or didn't work out for me. So although I keep buying things with the intent of making things more streamlined, I'm not using any of it well!! Plus I prolly have too much. With this construction evolution & my newfound daytime freedom, that ends. After the contractors finally get to it, that is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2021, 06:33 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

I have the avery elle storage pouch and recently bought the new taylored expressions pouches and store both dies and stamps together. Never had a problem!

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
NavyWyf (07-04-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 06:43 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

Also wanted to add, I bought these at Lowe's for $6 (3 sheets inside) and cut to size of die cuts so they stay stuck. I love them!!
Attached Thumbnails
If You Use Avery Elle Pouches to Store Your Stamps....-ventcover.jpg  

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 8 users liked this post by cheermom:
alik13 (07-11-2021), craftiema (07-06-2021), fl_beachbum (07-04-2021), MangieB (07-09-2021), NinaBeth (07-07-2021), PJBstamper2 (07-05-2021), Quilter56 (07-06-2021), wavejumper (07-07-2021)
Old 07-04-2021, 07:42 AM   #10  

Cheermom - I have purchased those, too! I thought, at one time, that I could store all my dies in Stamp Storage Binders that I found at Hobby Lobby. I have three of those and a BUNCH of the inserts. I filled them WAY too fast and changed my mind about storing dies separately from stamps, but I used those exact magnet sheets inside and I think they're great!
Reply With Quote Likes
cheermom (07-04-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 09:02 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to store my stamps and coordinating dies together but I only have coordinating dies for clear stamps and not red rubber stamps so I am not sure if storing these together will harm the red rubber stamps in the long run. I think the chance of smooshing the stamp will be on how you store it with other stamps. If your container is very filled and you are having a hard time flipping through it, then this will make the stamps prone to being smooshed.
Reply With Quote Likes
NavyWyf (07-17-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 10:06 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have coordinating stamps and dies in the same pouch, but they are separated by a white piece of cardstock and the magnetic sheet the dies are on. I use the white cardstock in all my pouches for a uniform look and so I can clearly see the stamp set. I use magnetic sheets to keep my dies from laying unevenly at the bottom of the pouch - keeps everything flat and easily accessible.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Purplepennywhistle:
NavyWyf (07-17-2021), NinaBeth (07-07-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 11:36 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Have used the Avery Elle pouches for years for both photo and rubber and used a magnetic sheet for the dies. I have three sizes to fit the different size stamp sets. I usually try to keep the original backing of the stamps. I also will use a label maker on the top front to ID the set and if the dies are enclosed, how many of each so I can keep everything together.
Reply With Quote Likes
NavyWyf (07-17-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 01:57 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Like many others on this posting, I store my CLEAR stamps and, if I have them, coordinating dies in shared pouches. If I stored them separately, I would probably never use the dies! One twist - if I have the coordinating dies for a stamp set, I change the backer sheet between the stamps and the dies to a different color (pink) to indicate that I have both the stamps AND the dies when I flip through the sets.
Also like many others, I have had no issues with storing my sets this way (standing up in Fridge Bins) for a number of years now. I too use the magnetic Vent Covers purchased from Lowes (attach dies to ugly side, not pretty white side). I also do not "squish" things too tightly, but they certainly can lean on each other.
Red rubber cling stamps are a different animal though - be very careful how you store those, as you CAN squish those or at least dent them. I have them in a similar storage solution, but I try to be careful about not squishing them.
I use Avery Elle pockets mainly, but have also used other brands (not the "off brands" from Amazon - those seem too thin). I've used MyFavorite Things and Simon Says Stamps too.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by kcwong:
bzzzeee (07-18-2021), gobarb26 (07-14-2021), NavyWyf (07-17-2021), patiak (10-02-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the Avery Elle pouches for about a year and LOVE this organizational solution. I put stamps and coordinating dies together in one pouch. I organize my Items by type/subject (Christmas, Birthday, etc) then do one extra step that saves me a lot of time. I use plastic folders to make placards—yellow for just dies, pink for just stamps, and turquoise for sets. The first (yellow) placard has the type/subject name, then there are pink and turquoise placard behind that. Works great for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (07-18-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 06:49 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

I thing that is GREAT that you are having card friends come help you...regular friends dont necessarily get it about what works and doesnt.

OMG....you are singing to the choir...we ALL have been down the organizational rabbit hole where we keep changing up how we do it. But once I went to pockets I did not change again. The good news is I recycled some of those things into my new systems so it was not a total money loss.

I agree about the mag vent covers from Home Depot or elsewhere. The size pocket I use 51/2 x 7 +/- a few 1/8ths-I get three per sheet-two whole and one in halves plus a bit of scrap that I save for smaller die storage. So that is 9 per for 6 bucks or 66 cents each and that's if I use a whole pocket size. I often could cut them in half or less.

I also agree about not liking my dies to be loose in whatever storage chafing each other-this is a totally personal thing...may mean nothing. McGuire does it all the time. But she does not keep everything-she uses stuff and lets it go. She also uses magnets at times. Some Mfgs also ship it that way. My concern is with bending. A bent die can be not savable. Esp the outlines.

You have inspired me to think about storage though. My stamp/die sets are labeled and in separate in storage boxes. I am starting to think about that. Maybe I should fold them in with the just dies boxes for higher visibility. Wont change my storage needs and would be a big project. Since I am on a 12 x 12 purge right now it would have to wait.

My best suggestion: Provide for growth. The biggest issue I keep having and seeing here is the systems dont...and then have to be changed. (for me it is shelving space) Have a flexible system. BUT...dont see that as an open door to just willy nilly buy stuff to fill in the space you have. Consider trade outs-if you see a nesting set you like better than that one you have....sell or trade it out.

Once you get organized I bet you will use things more. Make a challenge. Work your way through a box and use everything in it three times at least. Make 3 of the same card or different ones. Figure out how to use it with a challenge here. You may discover you dont like a thing and are very willing to let it go.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by wavejumper:
ChrisO (07-17-2021), margotgn (07-09-2021), NavyWyf (07-17-2021), pepperann (07-18-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 07:49 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 126 Likes on 93 Posts

I've been storing stamps and dies together for years with no issues. Most of my stamps are clear stamps and have the matching die set. I store the stamps on a piece of sturdy acetate (or the printed acetate the stamps came on) and the matching dies are kept in small, 3"x4" ziploc bags so they're kept all together. I insert a sturdy piece of CS in the sleeve with the name of the set/vendor printed at the top. Stamps slide in the front and the dies are kep in the back. I used to keep the dies on the magnet sheets but the pouches and storage containers were getting too heavy. Love the little bags much better. Amazon is the most economical for the storage pouches and bags. I either make my own CS inserts or buy Simon Says Stamps precut inserts. 

Instagram: @jacqueline_worksforstamps
Blog: Works For Stamps

Come join the TEAparty every Tuesday! Click here for details.

"Stamping is an addiction & therapy rolled into one"
Reply With Quote Likes
NavyWyf (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #18  

Thank you everyone, and I LOVE the idea of changing the cardstock color to indicate Stamp & Die or just Stamp or Die.  That's a fabulous idea!

Margot, thank you for the encouragement.  I actually almost fear starting, because once I get to that point there won't be any turning back and I know it's a huge project.  I'm going to be embarrassed about how much I have.  I won't be able to do anything until I get it under control, so I'll be forced to move forward!  Eeek! 

On a positive note, I throw a huge "Thank you" party each Christmas for everyone who comes to a specific # of classes that year.  I will have a lot of good give away's for them if I can get this done!  I've been in too many clubs/auto shipments and just didn't stop because I was afraid I'd regret it. 

Reply With Quote Likes