Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #41  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As my craft area is a small alcove off the living room-neatness is a must! Plus I have found if my area isn't clean, I put off making my cards. I found a really nice (and cheep) two drawer filing cabinet at a garage sale and use the top drawer for 8 1/2 x 11 cards stock defined by the base colors. Each shade of a color has its own hanging folder.

The second drawer is for scraps, both solid colors and decorative paper. These files are by base color only, all pinks or mostly pink decorative paper goes into pink.

As to size, if it can be cut, stamped or punched it goes into a folder. I also save all of the white card stock scraps and use them as test paper for just about everything.

Using the scraps is a different matter. Most often I am making several card that are alike, so scraps are out, but they are great for single card making, one just has to train the mind to think "use your scraps" and I haven't gotten there yet!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #42  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This kinda goes against the idea of organizing scraps but when I toss them in a box/basket/whatever that is kept on my desk it was the only time they were in a state of "controlled chaos" and were more easily used. I now have a smaller desk so I need another plan that works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #43  
Inking Addict

Default Magazine Holder for Scraps

Quote:

Originally Posted by lori92760View Post
Carolyn,

My clothes closet doesn't look that nice! good job. I really like the color scrap idea. I may need to see if I have space for that. I assume those are magazine holders, but what kind? you bought them where?
Why not make your own scrap / magazine holder with cereal boxes and use some of the scraps to cover the outsides of the boxes. Already you will have used some of your scraps!

Cereal Box Magazine Holder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #44  
Inking Addict

Default How to Store Die Cuts

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkshire lassView Post
I am in the process of 'thinking' of tidying up :-) I was looking for a way to store die cuts that you cut and don't use immediately, how do you store them ? any help/advice would be appreciated. At the moment they are in a little box all jumbled together and never used, it is easier to just cut a new one than trying to find one I made earlier :-)
This is a small photo album that I got for $1. Each page has a divider, so you can store die cuts on both sides - which gives you 100 pages for storage. It's easy to flip through without damaging the die cuts.

Paper Arts Storage Album
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
IF it's smaller than a card front it goes in the bin.
Or slightly bent, creased, inky .. in the bin too.
That is such a waste! Wow! I'd spend a fortune on paper if I used it like that! Please save a big ziplock bag full and take it to the closest kindergarten or day care. They will love you. Takes two seconds to drop it off at the office and the worst that happens is that they bin it or recycle it just as you would.

I buy extra thick and sturdy bags from the local packaging store (where you buy moving boxes) they are 9x12 and 4mil. That's thicker than Ziplock freezer bags and at $9 for 100!! that's also cheaper!! I have one each for white, cream, neutrals, PTI warm colours, PTI cool colours, SU! Soft subtles, SU! Rich regals etc. (I'm obviously still on the old SU! system). These hold any pieces smaller than a full sheet right down to 1x2 ish.

I ALWAYS go to these before going to the full sheets. I have a shelf that houses these bags, the ends of the bags are labeled and I easily grab the one I need quickly. You could stand bags like these up in a magazine file, punch holes in the bags and put them in a binder or keep them standing upright in a box (if you mostly have larger sheets)and this would work no matter how small of pieces you decide to keep.

You'd be amazed how much money you save since I NEVER cut into a full sheet for a small panel. Well, virtually never. And when I do, it's likely I'm out of larger scraps of that colour anyways, because I've USED THEM ALL. Unless you are making lots of confetti or tiny flower petals you may never completely use up all your scraps but you can sure try! I don't have the money to toss away 1/4 sheets especially with the cost of shipping from PTI!

As for using up patterned paper, try using more sketches both here and on other sites. Many of them have many layers that suit using patterned paper so you can use some up. Otherwise, donate that too! I'm on a design team and we often have lots of layers in our sketches. Unscripted Sketches

And if you have an envelope maker from WRMK you can use up tons of paper that way and give the kids the scraps. I'm using my old paper that way.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

For my patterned papers I have three ways of organizing them. My older 12x12 and 8.5x11 papers came by the sheet. I have them in folders and the scraps live in another folder. Not a good system. My newer 12x12 came in collections (never buy single sheets anymore) in bags and I keep the scraps with the paper in the original bags. I keep them right in front so I see them immediately.

My 6x6 paper pads I store in IKEA KASSET storage boxes meant for CDs. They fit perfectly. Once I cut into the pad and have scraps, I store the pad upside down inside the front cover. This keeps the scraps from falling out. I label the collection on the 'new' top which of course is the bottom so I can read which one it is without removing it from the box and flipping it over. When I open the cover, I immediately see which papers have been cut into so I don't cut into a new paper.

My 6x6.5 and 8x8 and 8.5x11 (all recent) also come either in pads or as collections in bags so I store them in a photo box standing upright like the 6x6 but without a lid as the heights vary and the box is too short. The scraps are stored as above based on whether they are a pad or in a bag. I like my scraps as close to the paper they came from as possible or even closer (as with my Cardstock in the post above).
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianneB1030View Post
I use only SU cardstock mainly because it is easier for me to keep organized as well as because I like it. I like Bazzil and some others too, but having a sheet or two of lots of different cs didn't work for me. I did a major purge a few months ago. I have all my 8 1/2 x11 cs in upright magazine file type holders in roygbiv order with a piece at the front of each color with a tab with the color name on it. I cut the holes off page protectors and put one at the front of each color. When making a card I pull the ones for the colors I want to use. I then use scrap pieces if I can and if I cut into a fresh piece the scraps go into the page protector. It's easy to put them back in their spot when I clean up because of the tabs with the color name. I don't have any "rules" about what size scraps I keep, I just keep the pieces I think are large enough I will likely use.

For my 12 x 12 papers I have similar paper holders I got from cropper hopper. I want to get some plastic envelopes for them sometime but for now each different paper is in a 2 gallon baggie. I don't have as many of each paper as the 8 1/2 x 11 so I didn't do tabbed dividers for these. The only cs I have are core'dinations. I have a fewsheets of each SU color Those are in roygbiv order with any scraps in the front of each bag. For patterned papers I have each stack in a baggie. The SU dsp has the coordinating cs colors written on the bag along with the name of the stack. Again, any scraps go in the front of the bag.

I hope the rather detailed descriptions of my system haven't put anyone to sleep. It works really well for me. I used to just have a big baggie for cs scraps and one for patterned paper. I never used them.
I do something similar except that for card stock scraps I keep all greens together, all blues together etc. I always go there first when creating a card and use up the small pieces first. It has really worked for me. For decorative paper, I do much the same, but keep the really small piece in a box by my paper cutter. I used to throw them away until I learned Bargello, paper piecing, paper quilting, etc. KWIM? I try to use those scraps up at the end of a project or near the end. Am just now finishing up St. Pat's Day cards (I always work a month in advance), so will make something with all the beautiful green scraps I have for at lead a few cards. Attached is one I just did and have some different ones in mind.
Attached Thumbnails
i am terrible at organizing.-lucky-day.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

on pinterest i have a board on using up scraps
name gayla truett-noel
i never throw away scraps. if it's big enough for my smallest punch. it stays
when i do pass on scraps of all sizes- i donate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #49  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
That is such a waste! Wow! I'd spend a fortune on paper if I used it like that! Please save a big ziplock bag full and take it to the closest kindergarten or day care. They will love you. Takes two seconds to drop it off at the office and the worst that happens is that they bin it or recycle it just as you would.
I'm not sure you could just walk into any random school here any more, especially if you don't have kids enrolled there. And I'm sorry, but I have no interest in producing my ID or signing in just to drop off my junk paper, especially if it's going to end up at the same recycling plant it would have if I had just dumped it in my own recycling bin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

donate to a local library. women's shelter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #51  
Compulsive Stamper

I am in awe of your tidiness!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #52  
Compulsive Stamper

"Personally I'm stressed out right now, because I can't locate my original cricut George and basic shapes plate that goes over the keys and a pricy Nestabilities Ornament die cut. I have taken my craft room apart since early January and I'm still looking."

Don't give up! Today I found two missing items which had fallen into the paper storage boxes and slipped between the plastic baggies that hold all my SU card. I also cleaned up my dies from Christmas and just after, and found a missing die and it's case. I store all my dies in LOTV plastic pockets - very cheap - and I use magnetic sheet stuck to card to store them. Then the pockets are arranged in cheap plastic trays/containers bought for the $1 shop. I currently have six of them lined up on the shelf and just flick through. They are sorted by maker. One of these boxes has my embossing folders in it, except for the SU ones, which are stored with the SU dies.

There is no solution for scraps really - you just have to either drown or be ruthless - the only choice is do you be ruthless all the time or just every now and :-D then? And yes, I donate to a primary school - they see me coming now and just rush me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #53  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

LOL. Paper-such a challenging thing! If we are not trying to avoid buying it-we are struggling to figure out how to store it or use up scraps! All these responses say we all share this problem and pain.

First of all�1) If you have paper that old�it may have gotten brittle or otherwise not nice. Look at it. 2) Forgive yourself. If you got ugly paper just fess up to yourself and let it go. Far cheaper mistake than super cute but too small shoes you can't wear more than an hour w/o screaming.

As I type this, I have an order in for Cropper Hopper Verticals to replace the flat 12x12 boxes I had been using for solids and I use a plastic accordion file from AC Moore for patterns. The sections are my limits for those cats. No more once full! You could use one of those accordion files for scraps. Pre-divided for colors or themes.

Like you, I don't have nearly as much time to make cards as I would like; I try to give myself a head start. ie: I got the Spellbinder A2 layering dies. (I love these things since I stink at cutting!)

I pre-make:
Card bases, Layers, Liners for colored card bases, Die cuts/punches of commonly used shapes-hearts, stars, etc, Strips for making banners, My own stencils by cutting out a die shape, Same die cuts can give you a pre-made frame layer.

What do I have? 4 boxes. 1 large for card bases; 1 med for postcards, layers, die cuts, punches; 1 med for frames and stencils; and 1 small one for scraps that is NOT allowed to get bigger.

I try to buy as much as I can in 8 � x 11 to avoid having scraps since I don�t scrapbook but yes, you cant avoid it with many patterns. I personally avoid 6 x 6, 8 x 8 pads for the same reason. 4 x 6 maybe on a massive sale and then gets cut into postcard size immediately.

I tend to buy patterns in very tiny prints so that if I am left with scraps the pattern still makes sense like thin stripes, small dots, flourishes, etc. If you are holding it in your hand, I do the two finger rule: Does the pattern make sense in that band width? If you want to use it as a background layer-and it�s � inch wide or less-does it make visual sense?

If I want to design/experiment-I use cheap paper for the prototypes, maybe scraps. Once I have it, I go touch the good stuff.

If you have trouble matching colors-get a color wheel at the art store-not expensive and really helpful. But also-cut yourself a break-most of the recipients of our cards are not so fussy-pink is pink to them. Helps to use them up.

Things to make to use them up:
-Stationary sets, esp for the elderly in your life for whom getting to the card store may be hard. Don�t have to match-can be mixed sentiments. Any one can use thank you cards.
-Try die cut inlays�.the scraps can make the insert piece.
-Gift tags-if not for you, for local fundraising sales at schools/churches/charities. Tie 5 together as a set
-Sample tags for class or play dates with friends to sample products or techniques. Then you can make a note on the back and save it to get it later if you want to or write the directions on the back.

If you are ready to let em go-lot of good suggestions already:
Nursing homes, senior centers, rehab centers, hospitals, after school programs, youth centers/orgs, church groups, or have a small play date with a friend/go to crop hop and swap them.

Not allowed to donate/throw away? Shred them. Get a cheap bar shredder you can put over your trash can, just switch liners. Don�t need fancy uber cuts unless you are destroying a mistake pattern so ugly you don't want anyone to ever figure it out LOL. Little pieces will pass through with a large one once the blades are going. Use it to pack gifts, esp during the holidays. You are not throwing away and you save money-a 2 fer that should satisfy the most frugal in your life. By the end of a year you could well have enough. Too much? Ask friends if they want it. Packing materials are expensive these days. Bar shredders don�t take up a lot of space-you can either leave it on a dedicated can or put it away. A better buffer than tissue paper when densely packed, conforms to any shape, pretty, and it's tree friendly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2014, 04:51 AM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

I can't get your board to come up on -pinterest; using copy and paste. Any suggestions? I also have a board for scraps. If you do a search for homemade card paper scraps; you also bring up a ton of ideas. I do a google search for the name of the dsp paper and put a printout in the package. Next working on using some of my designer paper.

Wha
Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
on pinterest i have a board on using up scraps
name gayla truett-noel
i never throw away scraps. if it's big enough for my smallest punch. it stays
when i do pass on scraps of all sizes- i donate.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Wow lots of good ideas here. I'm very lucky I have a room for my craft and bought sets of plactic draws (five draws to a set) for my coloured card. I to only use SU card normally and each colour has its own draw and so all scraps no matter how small go back into the draw. ;-)
This worked very well until SU decided to retire a whole lot of colours and I couldn't bare to give them away so bought more draws but I'm running out of space now :lol:

See craftroom here

You can see some of my paper draws on the lefthand side of a very messy craft room they go from the floor and are four sets wide.

My Gallery - MyBlog

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow" - Kurt Vonnegut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #56  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
donate to a local library. women's shelter

Absolutely, the libraries can use the donated paper scraps for the youngsters.
They have programs like "make and take" constantly.
You can donate, books, magazines, and receive a tax deductible letter.

We had people donate pencils, crayons, ect for the programs.

Most people don't realize how much of their own money the staff had to spend for supplies that were needed but not readily available because the budget was very small.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #57  
Proud Fan Club Member

Margs:

Wow...what a room! Jealous!

You have invested a lot into the room..both in furniture/things and product!

Maybe what you could do with the retired colors for SU paper is consolidate them into a drawer. That would open drawers for the new colors. Since you seem to want to save them for special things anyway you wont go there often. Are we talking about solids though? I cant say I have ever met a solid I could replace at least very closely with another brand if I needed to. Patterns of course are different.

Craftlover:
Good idea!! I think a lot of people don't realize libraries run those kinds of activities anymore since so many are online now to do research they hardly go to a library anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #58  
Proud Fan Club Member

So many good things to read here!

Oh! I thought of another way to use paper up!

Envelope liners! Or if solids, envelopes themselves. If it's a dark color you can use a label for the addresses. There are templates for the liners and tool boards for envelopes. I have had times where a pattern just didnt work out for the specific plan-now what? I wont have another use...liner! If I make a stationary set for someone, esp a simple one like just "thank you" embossed....I can use it to line the envelopes. Wont matter if all the envelopes don't match each other. Friends are not going to care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

I am not loyal to just one brand of paper, so when I file something under "red", it is whatever red. I love su, but I hate to wait for it to arrive. they are not any too quick in the shipping. the only paper I wait on is the kraft paper from pti.

I think I have decided on plastic drawers from sterilite. I have a tall paper organizer, probably five feet, with all these slots for paper, it holds 12", but the slots are not huge, probably 1 1/2 inch, maybe, but in order to see I need to pull the whole stack out. and for the ones on the bottom, I have to get on my hands and knees and put my head down to peer in. I do not use the paper on the bottom much because I think oh hell I do not want to get down on the basement floor.

I can order them from walmart, it said they had them in stock, but I went there and no such luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

I am not loyal to just one brand of paper, so when I file something under "red", it is whatever red. I love su, but I hate to wait for it to arrive. they are not any too quick in the shipping. the only paper I wait on is the kraft paper from pti.

I think I have decided on plastic drawers from sterilite. I have a tall paper organizer, probably five feet, with all these slots for paper, it holds 12", but the slots are not huge, probably 1 1/2 inch, maybe, but in order to see I need to pull the whole stack out. and for the ones on the bottom, I have to get on my hands and knees and put my head down to peer in. I do not use the paper on the bottom much because I think oh hell I do not want to get down on the basement floor.

I can order them from walmart, it said they had them in stock, but I went there and no such luck.
Is there a way to put the paper organizer on its side so the paper is vertical in it and you don't have to get on your hands and knees? That's what I'd try, I think...

I only have one of the JetMax cubes for 12"x 12" papers that I didn't want to cut down (pattern wouldn't make sense, or I didn't know which part of the pattern I'd want, etc.) ALL of my other cardstock and patterned papers were either purchased at 8 1/2" x 11" or cut down (9" x 12") so that they could fit into regular letter-size hanging file folders in a regular letter-size filing cabinet. SO much easier for me, and cheaper, too (I got the filing cabinet free from a company that was redecorating their offices). I used the strips to make a sample ring (3" x 3" squares), so I'd know what papers/cardstock colors I have - I just wrote the manufacturer/collection/color on the back.

Cardstock scraps were trimmed and scored to make lunch notes, gift enclosures, etc., if they were too small to make card fronts. I have a little basket of those on a shelf where I can grab it quickly when I go to create. Smaller pieces that could be used to mat images or punch items are in a divided drawer - one section for reds/pinks, one for greens, one for blues, one for purples, one for yellow/orange, one for neutrals.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

I store my card stock in accordian folders in a file drawer. My files fit side to side rather than front to back. My husband built my file drawers. I have one for 8 1/2 x 11 and one for 12 x 12 or even larger. Hope you can see from the picture that my scraps for card stock are in separate folders by color in the back part of the top drawer. I always grab for them first when I need something smaller than card size. Full and half pieces go in the front files. I do the same for the decorative paper, but put the folder for that in front of each color family.
Attached Thumbnails
i am terrible at organizing.-top-drawer.jpg   i am terrible at organizing.-bottom-drawer.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

I leave my SU! paper in the plastic it comes in. I just cut the side off of it. I slide my scraps in with my regular paper and look in scraps first. I tried a seperate file but never went there. Since I have class this works for me. If it's too little to stamp on I throw it out!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #63  
Insane Embellisher

My 2 cents is wait until you are good and mad-at hubby, kids, crafting, whatever, and then go through your scraps to weed out for donating or whatever. It lets you get rid of stuff without feeling bad, and I have yet to regret it. You could always save the bag for a day or two, if yiu are worried that you will purge too much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #64  
Proud Fan Club Member

LOL Lmc....that is one way to have a mercenary attitude about it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #65  
Insane Embellisher

I took two large boxes of scraps and one box of wooden bocks to church tonight. A long with books I have used in book/study groups. Lord how I hated those books. I am going thru my fabric cabinet next. I am on a roll. For the last eight years people have been moving in and out of my house finally my daughter and her husband have a call my son and his gf live here while he finishes his degree the clutter the chaos are stressful to me. I want my craft room to be relaxing. I believe I am headed in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for you lori b! Isn't it a good feeling to let go/kick out all those old things that just do NOT make you happy any more?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 04:54 AM   #67  
Hardware Hotshot

for the last three years; I have been donating to thrift stores. Crafting items sell reasonably there; so low income families have to chance for some fun projects. Take a donation slip for tax writeoff; never more then $100. a time as their is a maximum
donation of these items. $300 may be the max

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #68  
Insane Embellisher

I usually take my old craft books and mags to goodwill, some of those mags are $13 new, so I always like to think that someone spends a quarter and gets to be creative.

I do this when my husband is not around. he grew up very poor, he cannot let go of anything. the kids and I try to minimize his trauma :-) by clearing out when he is gone. he never met a cardboard box or an empty sour cream container that he did not love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #69  
Proud Fan Club Member

I get that...my mom was a depression kid and we had to evaluate everything for re-purposing before throwing out. I think the one I liked best was when she made Barbie clothes to sell in little fairs to supplement her SS in retirement and we took the face grate off a stand fan, turned it horizontal and make a little clothing rack out of it.

It sounds like you are making excellent headway!! Congrats! High five! I got rid of a LOT of fabric years ago after accepting I would never get to the "projects". Good thing! If I still had it now...I would probably try to keep at least some to make cards with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #70  
Insane Embellisher

I do sew from time to time, but again, you have to draw a line in the sand with the size scrap to keep. I do not quilt so really is there a need for a 2 inch square of 80's calico? I think not. now what to do with 3 doz mason jars with assorted burlap decorations that were wedding reception d�cor? or the giant chalkboard like print that says pick a seat not a side?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #71  
Proud Fan Club Member

I always thought if one had a lot of parties in a year with favors...you could have a "hodge podge" one at the end of the year and use up any leftovers. No they wont match and that's the point! Make it a pot luck so the food is also varied. Or a group of people can pitch in their left over favors/decorations along with food.

That gets the chat going..."Remember that one? Joe fell into the pool" or whatever. Unless it is going to cause a problem that you didn't invite a neighbor to your party LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #72  
Proud Fan Club Member

Oh! I keep forgetting to mention:
Scrapbook.com is having their annual 12 week classes on getting org'ed online and it's free.
It might be worth looking at.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #73  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I took two large boxes of scraps and one box of wooden bocks to church tonight. A long with books I have used in book/study groups. Lord how I hated those books. I am going thru my fabric cabinet next. I am on a roll. For the last eight years people have been moving in and out of my house finally my daughter and her husband have a call my son and his gf live here while he finishes his degree the clutter the chaos are stressful to me. I want my craft room to be relaxing. I believe I am headed in the right direction.
Good for you Lori. Keep up the good work.
It's good to have company but...... My craft room finally became my own now that there's just the two of us in the house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #74  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I do sew from time to time, but again, you have to draw a line in the sand with the size scrap to keep. I do not quilt so really is there a need for a 2 inch square of 80's calico? I think not. now what to do with 3 doz mason jars with assorted burlap decorations that were wedding reception d�cor? or the giant chalkboard like print that says pick a seat not a side?
Lori, this just a suggestion, have consider getting artificial flowers and small rocks from a $1 store? A little hot glue at the bottom of the jars, rocks and flowers, a left over ribbon on the jar with maybe a butterfly attached?

They make cute arrangements for seniors in nursing homes or church seniors home bound. I use every jar available to me especially from candle.

Maybe using the old calico fabric to wrap the jar half way up with a ribbon?

I grew up at a time where things were very difficult, post war Europe, World War II, parents/grandparents saved everything until 1960. They were afraid to put money in the banks, because people lost fortunes I was told. The countries confiscated their money to support the war.

Anyway, I got away from the subject, I don't like clatter :-)
I purge all the time, but I do try to use what I have in the house first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #75  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Lori, all the ideas here are fabulous and donating to the church is a great way to part with things you won't use. The main thing is - as everyone has already said - decide what you will use and then draw the line in the sand. What is the point of having scraps around if they are just taking up space and you'll never use them. Donating to the church - even if they don't get used for cards, I'm sure the kids can find a use for them in some way. Now I must admit here - I'm sort of in the same boat but I am getting better. I used to keep EVERY little scrap but then I learned that it just was taking up space. Now I put it in a box for recycling. And if I have paper that I don't like - it gets donated somewhere. You could always make envelopes with paper too. Just a thought. It's a work in progress for me as I'm sure it will be for you too. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #76  
Insane Embellisher

Irene,

this is the jars as they are, with assorted decoration. I suppose I could craigslist them if someone is having a vintage wedding they will come in handy. not everyone loves vintage, my husband could not for the life of him figure out why I rusted perfectly good lids! he grew up in korea and at times he thinks I am a wasteful American. we could not afford a house big enough to hold all the crap if I kept it all. I guess everyone defines "waste" different. I think cigars are a waste...but not rum :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #77  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Irene,

this is the jars as they are, with assorted decoration. I suppose I could craigslist them if someone is having a vintage wedding they will come in handy. not everyone loves vintage, my husband could not for the life of him figure out why I rusted perfectly good lids! he grew up in korea and at times he thinks I am a wasteful American. we could not afford a house big enough to hold all the crap if I kept it all. I guess everyone defines "waste" different. I think cigars are a waste...but not rum :-)
Oh Lori, you made me laugh so hard. I guess your husband and I think alike.
Even though my family lived well, I didn't come as an immigrant, I fell in love with an American service man :-) so it was my choice to come here, anyway When I first came in the states (1969) and life was very good, I was googled eye with the waste. Til today my SIL has all the lights on in her house during day time, electric fans on the deck 24/7 and no one sits there, and she's not the only one. I have seen it in all 4 states we have lived in.

It's cultural for us I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #78  
Insane Embellisher

BTW Lori, the jars are beautiful, I'm sure you can find places to sell them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #79  
Kookie Creator

Received 281 Likes on 101 Posts
Wink

I put everything in hanging files in four file boxes under my table.
I generally throw out anything smaller than a card front.

Last edited by Kgeans; 09-07-2020 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Irene,

beautiful jar~
Reply With Quote Likes