Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:18 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you store your SU wood mount sets

The last several stamp rooms i have had, I have always had them stacked on a large book case (which I grew out of a while ago). I'm currently finishing a new stamp room in my home and I have a 4x8 WIC that I plan to dedicate to my stamp set storage. The closet is 8 feet high at one side, but only 4 feet at the other because it's in a cape cod. I have a matching closet for all of my card stock and printed papers and I have organization pretty much figured out for that, but not sure what to do with my stamps. I am thinking some type of built in closet storage or moveable shelving to accomodate different sizes of containers.

Do you stack, stand up right in a drawer, put on something slanted, etc. I currently have most of them wood mounted in the clamshell cases, but all my new sets are the clear mount. I have unmounted a few sets, but know with a 2 year old and another one the way that I will not have time to dedicate to unmount them all and not sure how i even like the clear mount ones yet, so don't plan to do that at this time. Not sure if I want to put them in drawers or on shelves. How do you have them organized? I currently just have them sorted by container size, but if i have extra room, may sort by theme and size. I need help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished a re-org project of my own, and maybe it will help you. I posted pics, and lots of text, in my gallery:
Saving Space! (1) - Anna Wight by SweetMissDaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Saving Space! (3) - Anna Wight by SweetMissDaisy - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I store mine in drawers on their sides.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

My Demo has white wire shelves such as are used in closet organizer systems. The type where you install several vertical strips that the shelves hook onto.

They are all along one wall in her stamping room. She has the shelves hung so the clam shell boxes are only about 6 + boxes high on each shelf. If I recall correctly she has 6 or 7 long shelves. The reason for the boxes only about 6 high is so there is no extra weight on the stamps and so they are easy to get when she wants a particular set. It looks like a very efficient system.

My collection is only 16 sets so far so they are just on a book shelf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2010, 03:40 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I've always had my 100 sets on a small shelf, in clam shells, stacked. Seemed to work okay but now we are building a new home and my fiance has a beautiful wardrobe that would fit 1000 sets!

I'll keep them in the clam shell boxes but I think I'm going to buy those lined wicker baskets and put about five sets in each. I'll set them in at an angle so I can thumb through them. They are numbered and I have an index binder I need to finish.

I'll never unmount. I couldn't stand the time, $$$$ or hassle to do so. Besides, I love the feel of wood. I am buying unmounted now from SU when available.

One thing I should have done long is ago is store holiday and occasion stamp sets together. I'll have my Christmas sets in one basket (or two, but together), birthday sets in one, valentine sets in one, etc..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Hmm, I wonder if I could get my wardrobe into my craft room. Probably not, I'd have to take almost everything else that's in there out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have many sets both mounted and unmounted. The unmounted are kept in 5 inch binders and they're stored in my craft closet. The mounted sets are stacked in large bins. Unfortunately, every time I want to look for a paticular set I need to take them all out of the box! I've always dreamed of having a craft room and display all my mounted sets on small ledges mounted up and down my craft room walls. This way I'd be able to categorize sets and easily find them. Ah.. to dream : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

At one time, I thought it would be really nice to have very shallow drawers to lay the sets out on and then you can just pull them out and you can see every single stamp in a set without having to just look at the name and pull them up to see. It would have to all be custom, but I think I could store quite a bit. I would definitely store them by theme, xmas/winter, love/valentine/anniversary, kids, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I have mine in a bookshelf on their sides but I'm thinking of switching to Anna Wight's art work thing, I'm going to redo my space so I'm still in the thinking/planning phase -- and I'm not an artist like Sweet Miss Daisy so I'm not sure I'd do as good a job as she has!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

You can do it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks Anna! At least I hope to have fun trying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Sterilite - Garage: Drawer Units

I have mine in these. They are organized according to box size. At one point I thought about making a binder that had images of each stamp set and then told which drawer they were in. It is not a beautiful set-up, but it is very functional. I also like that I can add other parts to the drawers if I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks Stampered Chef! I have a gazillion stamp sets and that's my biggest issue; I haven't tried organizing by box size....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Default don't know if you are still looking

i thought i would chime in here...my dad has modified some basic plastic storage solutions for me for my stamping storage and tools...

i know you have a storage area...but i found a system that works really well. i bought two systems from Target (i think they were 35 dollars a peice. I was able to stack them (securely), they actually are made to fit ontop of one another, the bottom one had wheels, but with the wood stamps they were a bit heavy on the wheels... so he took a peice of wood and drilled in into the bottom of the plastic (which helps support the weight of the wood stamps) and then he put rounder wheels on the bottom...it is very easy to move around (meaning lightweight) and it stores my entire wooden collections, which is quite a bit. Each storage box is basically a 12x12 iris box, which i use to store my wood stamps by category (for example birthday, sayings, animals, sports, shapes etc)...

I can take pictures to show everyone...if anyone is interested...

he also modified one of the big 50 dollar plastic storage systems for my tools. he put two large peices of wood (heavy duty wheels on the bottom), the wood holds the heavy items and he put a ribbon storage onto the wood as well as spots for both of my punch pals to go (which is a big sheet with pockets to hold 55+ punches)....he has it so one is on each side. This carries all of my tools (stamp pads, stamp pad organizers, etc)

It took him about a half an hour each on both storage solutions (so an hour total)...

again, i can show pictures if anyone is curious.
Just let me know...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I would love to see pictures of your storage ideas, Love4d2. I'm always on the lookout for good organizational plans.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

To reply to jthoman, I have a flat file used by architects, etc, that I keep all my non-SU single stamps in. I have ten drawers and each drawer is approximately 5 foot by 3 foot. Sadly, it it full and I am needing to work out some more storage. My SU sets are on top of the flat file. I have a bookshelf set on top of the file with all the sets on their sides labeled with my dymo in alphabetically order. After the bookshelf, the sets are lined up on their sides all the way to the front of the flat file. This still doesn't hold all my SU so s-y sets are located in two rubbermaid tubs. I refuse to watch Hoarders because I am afraid I may be on there soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Heart My Storage Solutions

Hello Everyone,

Since a few people said they were curious as to what i was talking about, I figured i would post a few pictures here...

My Dad modified some basic plastic storage solutions for me for my stamping storage and tools...

I bought two systems from Target (i think they were 35 dollars a piece.

I was able to stack them (securely) (they actually are made to fit ontop of one another if you don't put the wheels on one of the units).

The wood stamps were heavy on the wheels... so he took a peice of heavier wood and drilled in into the bottom of the plastic where the wheels were (it is very secure and helps support the weight of the wood stamps)

My dad put rounder heavier wheels on the bottom...it is very easy to move around and it stores my entire wooden collections, which is quite a bit. Each storage box is basically a 12x12 iris box, which i use to store my wood stamps by category (for example birthday, sayings, animals, sports, shapes etc)...

He also modified one of the big 50 dollar plastic storage systems for my tools.

He put two large peices of wood (heavy duty wheels on the bottom), the wood holds the heavy items and he put a ribbon storage onto the wood as well as spots for both of my punch pals to go (which is a big sheet with pockets to hold 55+ punches)....he has it so one is on each side. This carries all of my tools (stamp pads, stamp pad organizers, etc) and is very secure.
It took him about a half an hour each on both storage solutions (so an hour total)...

I took pictures of both of them and attached them here...
Attached Thumbnails
How do you store your SU wood mount sets-large-storage.jpg   How do you store your SU wood mount sets-wood-stamp-storage.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2010, 06:03 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I just stack mine on shelves (bookshelves) in the clamshells by category. I have them from the bottom up, largest to smallest boxes. It's not ideal but it's what I can do with the space I have...wish I had something better. I do LOVE the clear mounts because how neatly they line up on a bookshelf...all the SAME size...heaven:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep my in their Plastic Clam shell boxes. and then place them inside a 12x12 Plastic bin. ( much like those 12x12 paper holders.

Stack them ontop of each other. I have about 3 of them filled with SU stamps.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 04:05 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMissDaisyView Post
Thank you so much, Anna, for sharing your storage solution! I started working on this last night with my own SU! sets, which I wanted to keep in their original wood-mounted state. I've been able to reorganize over thirty sets into 9 Stufftainers, so far. I have so much more room now, and I love seeing similar sets together. It definitely makes you see your stash in a whole, new way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Right now, I have mine stacked on bookshelves, but I'm thinking of putting them on their sides, I might be able to fit more on the bookshelves that way. I do have my Christmas ones on the bottom shelf, but I think I could actually fit more on each shelf if they were on their sides. Any feedback to this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Karen, it will depend on how tall your shelves are.

I was able to get 11 cases stacked on top of each other on my shelves, and could get four stacks side by side. 44 sets. If I lined them all on their sides, like books, I could only get 21 on each shelf. Using the vertical space and stacks worked best for me.

...but that was when I still kept them in the SU cases... now I use the Stampendous containers, and mix/mingle the sets together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiddielitterView Post
Thank you so much, Anna, for sharing your storage solution! I started working on this last night with my own SU! sets, which I wanted to keep in their original wood-mounted state. I've been able to reorganize over thirty sets into 9 Stufftainers, so far. I have so much more room now, and I love seeing similar sets together. It definitely makes you see your stash in a whole, new way.
I'm glad you like the idea! As for me, I LOVE it!! I only wish I'd made the change sooner!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Karen, I was going to say much the same as Anna -- but I fit more on their sides -- I get more shelves to the unit so I get more sets in -- after I bought my bookcase from Ikea with the requisite number of shelves, I took myself to Lowe's, found the same thickness of shelving (it's the non-wood stuff the name for which is niggling the edge of my memory -- I can see Ty Pennington saying it -- maybe that's the problem -- he's a distraction!). MDF that's it! Anyway, it comes in white and they cut it for me for free. They say you get one cut but when you're 4'9", have white hair and schlepped the thing back to the saw, they just think you're so darn cute they cut as many shelves as you need -- of course I brought the shelf with me because I didn't want to make any mistakes!

But now I'm in the process of looking into Anna's storage methodology -- I have to measure my shelves and find her Stufftainers -- I'm redoing my room.

Anyway, I agree with Anna, it depends on your bookshelf and you -- do you want to keep sets alone, are you ok mixing them? Do you want them in size order, catalogue order, something that makes sense to you.... Let us know what you decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

I use a DVD cabinet purchased at Hastings.....it holds most of my stamps in clamshells...I say that when there is no more room, I will sell some of my stamps. LOL! but that day is fast approching.. Mine are sorted. flowers, wildlife, birds, Christmas, sentiments, snowmen/flakes,highhopes, all are labeled on end with white label maker tape so name is easy to read. I am not precise when returning them to the shelves but know where the general area is when I want that set again.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I am very excited about the storage solution I came up with for my wood mount sets. There is a link in my siggy if you want to check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jthomanView Post
I am very excited about the storage solution I came up with for my wood mount sets. There is a link in my siggy if you want to check it out.
Jaci, I noticed the cool racks -- but don't you have to have a ton of wall space? You are SO lucky to have such a beautiful room that you can actually see all your sets! You'll never forget anythign!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I used to have them all on the book case that is shown with toys on it at the kid's end of the room. I had hubby build the walk-in closets and I just took the one wall in there. The shelves are like 80" long and I do have them stacked two sets high on the shelf, but I figure if I put similar sets on top of each other it will be much nicer than having to remember all the names of them. I do go higher than my book case, but i only had stuff sat on top of it before, so it didn't really make that much difference room wise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Very nice space. I think your craft room must be larger than my entire apartment from the looks of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Kala~the total area of the upstairs is 1200 square feet. It's also bigger than the first 3 places that my husband and I lived when we were married!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Yep, I live in an apartment that is about 900 sq feet. I used to have a house and garage that was 3000 sq feet. I'm still trying to get used to the smaller space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I saw someone somewhere who had used the slanted shoe rack shelving from Rubbermaid (I think) closet systems. They had a small lip that kept the stamp boxes from sliding off but because of the slant they were very visible. I loved it.
Reply With Quote Likes