Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #41  
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I"m still impressed by the poster who said, too much stuff inhibits your ability to create. I am 100% behind this way of thinking.
Also, the "out of date" paper etc. I noticed last year when I was at a scrapbooking weekend. They had a "trade" table where you leave something, take something. So much of the paper was just out of date, and would never be used. I find I have completely slowed down my paper buying. I will only buy to suit the craft I am working on. I am continuing to purge, but am finding I'm getting down to workable and am "using my stuff.....finally".

Jen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

I wish I could come visit some of you ladies.....I'm still building my collection! lol I don't have a lot of money to spend so I do try to make sure that I buy only what I will use a lot. Right now I'm needing more stamps that are suitable to color. I'm trying to learn how to use watercolor pencils/crayons with the blender pens but don't have a lot of stamps to color. I also need more sentiment stamps.

This thread is a good reminder to "try" to keep yourself from buying things on a whim or because it's on sale and concentrate on what you will use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #43  
Mad Swapper

My name is Diane and I am addicted to buying craft supplies.

"Be still and know that I am God."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been thinking along the same lines - except I've also been stocking up. We're trying to start a family and once we do, I won't be working outside the home and my budget will be seriously cut - So I'm focusing on the basics - ink, colored cardstock, tools for stocking up. I figure DSP and embellies change a lot and I have tons of stamps.

And, I just went today and got some organizational tools to help my craft area be more workable. I've been debating passing on some of my retired stuff to my grandma. She's on SS and my grandpa is a preacher, supported by writing books and donations. She sells her cards for a little spending money. I've been giving her extras (like at SAB time and every catty, I let her pick hostess sets and when I earn them, they go to her), but I think it's time to dig into my retired stash. If I'm saving it for the perfect project, is that really going to happen? Or am I still going to have Baja Breeze 5 years from now?

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to go through that stash and get down to just what I actually will use right now. (well, maybe I'll keep a little bit of that baja breeze. . . . )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #45  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I have a friend in Florida....her 9 y/o daughter has Cancer and spends way too much time in the hospital...she loves to draw, color, scrapbook and now, thanks to me ;) make cards!
I purge every couple of months and send it all to her and her friends in the hospital. The hospital keeps it all in a drawer in the day room and she shares it all with the kids there. I don't feel so bad getting rid of something I "might" need someday because I KNOW those kids NEED it more!

SO if anyone is looking for somewhere to send your purged stuff, just Pm me and I'll give you the address!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would started by boxing up those things you don't use, but might want some day. If you have a garage or closet it can go into, at least it will reduce the clutter in your working space. Then if you do need it, you still have it. If you go through 6 months and haven't needed it... maybe you'll be able to take that next step and donate it!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Joan. Some things you may want to keep for the future. Or, you could RAK them to someone who might be surprised by a package in the mail. Or...check with local brownie/cubs, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I put a bunch of 12x12 paper on Craigslist for free this morning and it's already gone! I had WAY too much patterned paper - now I can actually see what I have = I will use it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #49  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by g33kgr1View Post
Right now I am almost ready to stop papercrafting... I am so disgusted with my craft room clutter and shopping habits!

I hate going into my room... there is soooo much in there. And I paw through it and sit in there looking around... BUT CAN'T GET RID OF ANYTHING!

I have finally made a pile of stuff that I know I won't use (can you say Sticker Binder?) But... I have a 5 year old daughter who might actually love all these leftovers some day for craft play... See? I can't get rid of it?!?!

How do you purge? What goes? WHERE does it go? HELP!

--Amy
I have recently done this. It's a lengthy process. It's worth it.

I started with one category, which for me was paper. I did a purge of stuff 2 years or older that I haven't used (I have a 2 year rule for everything unused aorund here, lol!) I gave the purged stuff away - friends, local day cares or nursery schools, sunday school, the school I teach in, domestic violence shelters...anyone who would take it.

The key for me is I have to purge again, mabe 6 months later. The stuff that I kept because "I love it and will use it" - did I? No? Out it goes.

Same process for ribbon, stickers, impulse buys, even stamps (gasp!, I know, lol!) I also did it with my Sizzix dies.

Here is what you need to get over in your head:
1. Yes, you spent a lot of hard earned money on these items and yes, it is a shame to just throw them out. Get over it.
2. Yes, your kid(s) may use them, but hey have not. Get over it.
3. Someone with a lot less would like use them better then I could because they have so fewer options. Enjoy it.
4. Try not to have to do this again buy replacing all the tossed items with more stuff you won't use. ;)

It was tough, but it was a great move for me. I hoep it is/has been the same for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Oh... and I found my ironing board. I put it away and told myself that it is NOT a work surface if it is just holding the sewing box and pile of pants that need to be hemmed...
You need to rethink that statement. I'm SURE that having two ironing boards in your craft room might be overkill (I do), but one is a definite usable work space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #51  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Talking Me too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
2) if you have a hard time getting rid of things because you might need them some day (I know I do!), here's what helps me: I put everything like that into a box in the basement/storage. Then I leave it for 6 months or a year. If I go looking for it in that time, it comes back out. If not, I don't look in the box and I get rid of it (if I look I may get attached again, you know?!). This gives me a more secure feeling, because I am not being rash. I do this with everything, not craft things necessarily...
HTH!
Someone suggested this to me about 2 years ago. It was the BEST Idea I was given and it really worked! It was SO much easier to purge & I got rid of alot more stuff than I probably would have. In all the stuff and all the time, I think I got 1 item back out of the box....ever. The KEY is to put a date on the box and get rid of it at a set time. On the 6th month, I did not open the box, I took it to Craft Garage Sale and donated the rest to the Senior Center. (I got very nice cards they made w/ all the craft stuff)

You will REALLY ENJOY the space. It has helped me be much more creative because I don't spend so much time "digging" through my stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #52  

Above poster....get rid of the Baja Breeze, I just did, ink and ribbon. I kept the paper. Same for Kiwi Kiss.
I'm running on empty but oh so creative.....
lol
Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #53  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakCardsView Post
My name is Diane and I am addicted to buying craft supplies.
we all chorus: "Hi Diane"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #54  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Default walking the talk!

I went to lunch and then to the scrapbook store with a friend today and... DIDN'T buy anything! I even had a basic grey paper pack that I reallly wanted (on clearance!) in my hand... and I put it back! I'm so proud of myself. When I got home it actually felt better not to buy it than to buy it. That is a new feeling! And I still had fun lunching and 'visiting'--but not 'buying'.

ALSO... that friend reminded me that her aunt and 3 nieces would LOVE anything I could share during my purging. I can't imagine have 3 daugthers also into crafting... can you imagine splitting your crafting budget 4 ways?!?! They will really appreciate my leftovers. It is SO MUCH EASIER now to purge it knowing where it is going! I went through ink pads (so many colorbox tri-color pads I don't use) and embossing powders and albums today. I am up so so so late tonight but I was on a roll and can't quit! And I'm still working through paper... trying to decide what to keep and how to organize it.

I think I'm ok with just giving it away instead of trying to sell it. Maybe I will still do one more sort in the giveaway box to see if I want to make a "save and decide later" box for the basement.

I'm still finding so much cute stuff in my stash but the bottom line is that I can't keep it all. And I can never execute all the plans in my head. Certainly not if my room is so cluttered that I can't think or move.

It is actually kind of fun going through it all and "petting" it? And organizing it? But also kind of sickening that I don't even know what I have.

THREE boxes and COUNTING! I can see the carpet and open both closet doors!!!

Last edited by g33kgr1; 03-26-2010 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 02:17 AM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

You are making some great progress! Congrats! I am starting mine today! I am thinking that most of it I will have to give away. I live in really rural area so not much hope of selling any of it around here. I will be upset about all the money I can't recoup for about 10 seconds and then look forward to that feeling of relief. I will check the RAK list too! You never know! I'm sure the senior center will be happy with any of this stuff. There is one about a half hour away. I'll give them a call when I get a better idea of what I'm getting rid of.
Thanks so much for the inspiration!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 03:37 AM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

So, I did come home from work last night (at 8 pm) and start to work on this room! I started by just cleaning off the main work space (again!) and putting my new org tools in place. Second, I only put things into the new org tools that are current. Everything else I put to the side.

I pulled out my current DSP and put it on the new shelf I got - so I can see it and grab it. And I got my Big Shot dies/stuff put where I can easily find it and use it.

Nothing left yet - but at least the current stuff is where it can be used. Not a bad start for only 45 minutes of work.

Next up - decide on the retired items in the craft room - then on to the stash under my bed. . . . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #57  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

ALSO... that friend reminded me that her aunt and 3 nieces would LOVE anything I could share during my purging. I can't imagine have 3 daugthers also into crafting... can you imagine splitting your crafting budget 4 ways?!?! They will really appreciate my leftovers. It is SO MUCH EASIER now to purge it knowing where it is going! I went through ink pads (so many colorbox tri-color pads I don't use) and embossing powders and albums today. I am up so so so late tonight but I was on a roll and can't quit! And I'm still working through paper... trying to decide what to keep and how to organize it.

THREE boxes and COUNTING! I can see the carpet and open both closet doors!!!
If this friend would like to pay the postage I have a box of paper she can have (all brands and styles.) I mean A BOX. Priorty size that snuggly fits 12x12 paper, filled. Same with stickers.

Of course, the offer is open to everyone but wold defeat the OPs purpose of posting, lol!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #58  

Thanks for the generous offer of paper, but I just went through all of my paper last year and got rid of most of it. Drat those paper pads they sell and you only like about 3 of the designs....
I've stopped my "save until later" box because then all I did was move it to another location. I got rid of it quickly and I don't even miss it.... The joy it brings someone else is worth it.
As for feeling bad OP about what you have bought over the years I wouldn't. We all see a deal and snatch it up for later, or one pink piece of paper turns into 20 etc. It's just time that's all. Time for you (and many ) to look back at things and make some changes to our hobby. I see it as a part of a growth process.
I just got back from a little rummage church sale and didn't buy a thing. Nope I passed on the chipboard baby books that I knew I could alter, the buttons, the jewelry pieces, the old knitting books. I came home with a hamster cage for our hamster Steve.
lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #59  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiejenView Post
I"m still impressed by the poster who said, too much stuff inhibits your ability to create. I am 100% behind this way of thinking.
Also, the "out of date" paper etc. I noticed last year when I was at a scrapbooking weekend. They had a "trade" table where you leave something, take something. So much of the paper was just out of date, and would never be used. I find I have completely slowed down my paper buying. I will only buy to suit the craft I am working on. I am continuing to purge, but am finding I'm getting down to workable and am "using my stuff.....finally".

Jen
Perhaps someone could explain this to me - I don't understand how paper can be out of date, unless it is stamped "CLASS OF 2007" or something. Paper is paper. I know tastes change, some styles are more popular at certain times, but I like what I like whether it is popular at the moment or not. For example, I LOVE canine themed papers all the time, whether they are 'in' or not.

I am just curious what is meant by this. Can someone educate me?

Also, I have a stack of 12 x 12 paper that just isn't my taste, some of it was RAK'd to me (awwww! some SCS folks are SO NICE! Why can't more people in the real world be like SCS people?!!) some were from paper packs where I loved most of the papers but not all of them or colors I don't use often. It really does bother me that I spent money on a lot of this and am not using it all, especially since I have to tighten my budget lately and won't be able to replace supplies too easily. Is there anyone who might be interested in doing a paper swap with me? I send you a box of 12 x 12 and 4 x 6 DP that isn't my taste and I send you mine, maybe we will both end up with more papers that the other person will use and get a little more from our money before donating the rest to Ronald McDonald house or something?

Figured it could not hurt to ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #60  

Out of date, is pretty much when something is in...e.g. right now a lot of people (myself included) love blue and brown together. One day blue and brown will be kind of passe.
That's all, pretty much a taste based thing. I also no longer like pastel shades and prefer the dark rich colors.
good point though.
Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #61  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Out of date, is pretty much when something is in...e.g. right now a lot of people (myself included) love blue and brown together. One day blue and brown will be kind of passe.
That's all, pretty much a taste based thing. I also no longer like pastel shades and prefer the dark rich colors.
good point though.
Jen
Thanks for clarifying that for me, LOL.

You know, I have ALWAYS loved sky blue and chocolate brown together - they are my alma mater colors! LOL! I got so sick of hearing from my friends how ugly they thought they were together when I liked them so much, and then - the hypocrisy - the same friends began to wear them together all the time! - they said they were 'ugly' together - LOL! I understand tastes change and you get tired of stuff, I just thought how funny it was that as soon as whoever makes THE decisions in the fashion world said "these are the in colors" said they looked good together how the masses followed suit. I am sure when I am still using my brown and blue combo. 5 years from now, 10 years from now, people will be accusing me of being out of date or 'retro' or passe, and I will just smile. You like what you like, right? ;)

Last edited by Crafty Math Chick; 03-27-2010 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: spelling - AH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #62  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I came home with a hamster cage for our hamster Steve.
lol
Just curious, where was hamster Steve before you got the hamster cage?
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #63  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmcgraw01View Post
Just curious, where was hamster Steve before you got the hamster cage?
Leah
rothf
"Steve" is about an inch long and is 3 years old. We just love him. He had a cage, but this one had a light shining down from heaven on it.

As for brown and blue together, I think that is now my absolute favorite color combo. I'm thinking of our bedroom but it has to be the perfect shades.

I did a bit more purging today, not much, just some buttons from a button find, the big leather brown ones and the ones that don't lie flat, I got rid of.

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

My husband installed the shelves in my craft room closet today...I should have spent my evening sorting/purging the stuff from my old craft room closet...I didn't.

Tomorrow is another day, right? (help!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started my purging and organizing today. I have a big box of stuff I am giving a co-worker whose daughter is a school teacher. I am excited that everything is coming together nicely. I am sure I will have to go through again in 6 months or so and purge again, though. For now, though, I have A LOT more room and I can find things again. I love it.

Thanks for all the ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 05:54 AM   #66  
Polyshrink Goddess

okay - any ideas for what to do with old SU catties? I've got about 4 that I'll keep from before I started as a demo (all different) and of course I'll keep 1 from each catty period since then. But I've got 4 of the Spring/Summer 09, 7 of the Fall/Winter 09, only 3 left of the current (I'm doing better at giving them away this time). And I've got a whole stack of old minis from last year and SAB from last year.

Do I just toss them? Is there a way they can be used but not clutter up my space?

I signed up as a demo in '08, but mainly for myself. I've done a few classes/workshops, but mainly, I just enjoy being the first to see everything. I'll buy a whole box of catties just to see it as early as possible. This year, I think I'll split a box with my upline. . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #67  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 671 Likes on 422 Posts

people buy old su cattys on the bay...

I have nieces who paper craft and friends so, anytime i buy an pad of paper (not often) i immediately go through it and remove the papers i think i will use and sort them by color into my paper stash and set the others aside.
I tend to do this with stamp sets too, if i buy a set to get one or two stamps from it and know that i will not use the others i break the set. ( this is easier to do when your stamps number in the 4 figures and you are running out of room) hubs is no help, he just says hey use up more space then... :rolleyes:
another thing i do so that i dont have to purge as often is i dont keep packaging materials, so all embellishments are inside tackle boxes sorted by colors, mostly inside small zip lock baggies from the bead isles ( i write on the bag with a slick marker who made it or its color name if i think i will need another pack some day)

I dont buy things just because i have a coupon or its on sale. ( I used to)

as my taste change and or things i bought for my son to play with when he was small that do not get touched anymore ( i e tiny animal shaped punchies) i put these things into a box in the closet and so they are out of the way but, i still have them if i need them. things that i know i wont use i look at the wish rak list and see if anyone is wishing for it. and re-gift it away. big tools that have little to no resale value i have gifted to nieces and friends who paper craft. I do sell stamps i don't want to play with anymore or stamps i bought in "lots" at yard sales or what not, i don't even put the stamps i dont like into my stash they go into a get rid of it box in the closet right off the bat so these things are not part of the too much clutter issue.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

okay, I've made 4 trips to my room with stuff from my old closet (there are probably 4 more trips to make) and I'm going to start weeding out...who's coming over to help?

I'm going to make 3 piles - Keep, Toss (or give away), Maybe - then I'm hoping I will be strong with the maybe pile...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #69  

re: old catty's I tossed mine. I kept the current one. I had all of those spring/summer mini's etc.
If you are Canadian the best and only magazine to keep in my humble opinion is Canadian Scrapbooker. As for card making, I kind of cooled my jets.

Hope you have a productive Sunday, I'm raking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

Some progress! I've moved about 90% of my stuff from the old closet, gone through all the boxes/baskets and filled (literally) my new closet.

I didn't purge as much as I'd hoped - one large shopping bag of garbage, one large shopping bag of stuff to give to a co-worker with creative children, and I kept a few things to give away as blog candy this week (some MM ribbon, tons of K&Co die cuts, a set of cuttlebug flower dies - I had two!...) I stuck with things that wouldn't be too expensive to mail.

Still, I'm heading in the right direction and can see what I have now.

I just added a picture and I'm laughing at my typo...I named it "missing organization"...got that right!
Attached Thumbnails
How do you purge/thin your stash?-missing-organization.jpg  

Last edited by kellybee; 03-28-2010 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: added picture
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK I went through and took photos of a TON of stuff out of my room to give away on my blog. My camera battery died during the process so I am not completely done taking photos yet though. It feels great to have some of it done and ready to go!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #72  
Polyshrink Goddess

I made progress as well - I've gone through all my stamps sets and id'ed those I'm giving to gma. I also went through all my dsp and divided it into keep, give to gma and give to a friend who is new to scrapbooking.

Now I just have to go through my retired embellishments!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

I did it!! I threw a bunch of stuff away- I even had to put some in my NEIGHBOR'S trash can...lol. I have a huge box in the trunk of my car that I am taking to work. My co-worker's daughter teaches 2nd grade so she may be able to use some of the items. I have a bunch of cards to send to Operation Write Home....and a big box I am going to put on Ebay in the next week or so. Phew. It all feels and looks great. I can find things, I can move and I have some open space which I need. I am not one of those people who can take a 6x6 square on their desk and stamp in it. My best friend can do it, but not me.

I posted about it on my BLOG HERE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #74  

Way to go!!!!
It feels great doesn't it.?
This past week I took all of my 2 ds's schoolwork and kept the important pieces. Two years ago I bought a whole bunch of dollar store scrapbooks and just gluesticked everything into them. They both ended up with about 8 each. Now I only had 2 years of work to sort through. But...for the boys they will have samples of their childhood work one day. The each have one rubbermaid bin each for school scrapbooks and one bin for momentos. The amount of paper I threw out was shocking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #75  
SCS RAK Coordinator

OH my gosh we are all getting things accomplished!!! I know how good I feel, and I'm not even done!

I stayed up late again last night went through my WorkInProgess pile. I cut it in half. Some were just scraps that I was keeping because it all matched. WTH? Gone. Also, why do I have all these half finished projects? Made me think... hm...

Took all my Christmas themed stuff and put it together in one spot in the closet. Went through idea books and thinned those in half. I moved the boxes of purge stuff (I'm up to 4) out of the room to the front door.... where I can load them in my friends trunk... this week? We'll see...

Went through my stamps and thinned a few... but I have acrylic/unmounted so there isn't really much there that doesn't fit my space. So I don't feel the need to purge there?

Found a bunch of old stationary and thank you notes etc... some I have had for SO long--ridicolous! Cut that in half. probably shouldn't keep any of it... but it fits in its spot so I can hit it again next time I purge.

Noticed that one of my plastic containers that I keep punches in won't work anymore. The weight of the punches weighs down the unit and the drawers don't work. So I moved all my punches to a box and will have to tackle a new storage solution for them. Meanwhile I freed up 4 drawers in that unit. I think I will move some sewing stuff into it.

My room looks tore up right now but *I* know that it is better! I'm so lucky... my DH has woke up and kept the 5 yo busy so I can sleep in after staying up so late. I'm excited about hopefully finishing up this week... better get it done before the busy holiday weekend and then spring break... there won't be any mommy time for a while with no school in session! Wish I could find a babysitter who would work for scrapbook supplies! HA!

Stacy's post made me think of another discussion question: Once you do a BIG purge like some of us have started... is it easier to purge the next time? Or maybe you purge on a regular basis and don't have to do it again? Or maybe you stop shopping and just use up your stash? HA! Ok... let's not get crazy... LOL

Last edited by g33kgr1; 03-28-2010 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #76  
Stampin' Fool

Well ladies, you have certainly motivated me to start purging. I am just so overwhelmed with all of the "stuff" I have. I think this is why I am not "productive" anymore. I am surrounded by mountains upon mountains of supplies.

I've been purging for the last hour and a half and boy does it feel good! Tomorrow on my day off I am going to tackle the piles of Patterned Paper that never gets used!

Thanks for the motivation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #77  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 671 Likes on 422 Posts

in my case, I found that after i did the first big purge, that i find it much easier to do smaller ones off and on say every 6-9 months or so?

I wanted my room in "shape" before yardsale season hits in full force here because that is a weakness of mine to buy huge huge grab bags of vintage lace and or ribbons... ( i rak alot of it away, but it still becomes a huge chore to keep up with it during the summer) so I feel really good about getting all the pieces i wanted to keep sorted and stored and have some bags ready for giving away.

(I corrupted my best female friend and secretary at work into becoming stampers so its easy to share with them..) (they don't play online)

ETA: I dont think any of us who have the "collector/hoarder/packrat" gene ever stop shopping... but, I've slowed down alot (for me) and I do make alot of cards on nearly a daily basis so this having a large stash of choices is a good thing for me, keeps me from buying as much but also fits into that mind set about using it all up... (for me i dont think i could ever use up all that i have and that makes it a wee bit easier to let go of some of the excess)

My Blog

Last edited by JBgreendawn; 03-29-2010 at 08:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #78  
Glitter Guru

I work in the high school, and I bring my "purged" craft items to work to use them for, say, decorating bulletin boards. I also have a "resell" if I think I can get some money back on some items. And a RAK bin for swaps, prizes and Blog Candy and stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

OH my gosh we are all getting things accomplished!!! I know how good I feel, and I'm not even done!

I stayed up late again last night went through my WorkInProgess pile. I cut it in half. Some were just scraps that I was keeping because it all matched. WTH? Gone. Also, why do I have all these half finished projects? Made me think... hm...

Took all my Christmas themed stuff and put it together in one spot in the closet. Went through idea books and thinned those in half. I moved the boxes of purge stuff (I'm up to 4) out of the room to the front door.... where I can load them in my friends trunk... this week? We'll see...

Went through my stamps and thinned a few... but I have acrylic/unmounted so there isn't really much there that doesn't fit my space. So I don't feel the need to purge there?

Found a bunch of old stationary and thank you notes etc... some I have had for SO long--ridicolous! Cut that in half. probably shouldn't keep any of it... but it fits in its spot so I can hit it again next time I purge.

Noticed that one of my plastic containers that I keep punches in won't work anymore. The weight of the punches weighs down the unit and the drawers don't work. So I moved all my punches to a box and will have to tackle a new storage solution for them. Meanwhile I freed up 4 drawers in that unit. I think I will move some sewing stuff into it.

My room looks tore up right now but *I* know that it is better! I'm so lucky... my DH has woke up and kept the 5 yo busy so I can sleep in after staying up so late. I'm excited about hopefully finishing up this week... better get it done before the busy holiday weekend and then spring break... there won't be any mommy time for a while with no school in session! Wish I could find a babysitter who would work for scrapbook supplies! HA!

Stacy's post made me think of another discussion question: Once you do a BIG purge like some of us have started... is it easier to purge the next time? Or maybe you purge on a regular basis and don't have to do it again? Or maybe you stop shopping and just use up your stash? HA! Ok... let's not get crazy... LOL
Since I "rewarded" all my hard work with some new craft supplies.....I am pretty sure I will have to purge again one day. LOL I will probably go through in a bout 6 months or so- OR when I can tell I am running out of room and some stuff has to go. But right now it is just heavenly. Too bad I have to work all week and can't spend much time in my craft area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 AM   #80  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Originally Posted by teacher4416View Post
I have recently done this. It's a lengthy process. It's worth it.

I started with one category, which for me was paper. I did a purge of stuff 2 years or older that I haven't used (I have a 2 year rule for everything unused aorund here, lol!) I gave the purged stuff away - friends, local day cares or nursery schools, sunday school, the school I teach in, domestic violence shelters...anyone who would take it.

The key for me is I have to purge again, mabe 6 months later. The stuff that I kept because "I love it and will use it" - did I? No? Out it goes.

Same process for ribbon, stickers, impulse buys, even stamps (gasp!, I know, lol!) I also did it with my Sizzix dies.

Here is what you need to get over in your head:
1. Yes, you spent a lot of hard earned money on these items and yes, it is a shame to just throw them out. Get over it.
2. Yes, your kid(s) may use them, but hey have not. Get over it.
3. Someone with a lot less would like use them better then I could because they have so fewer options. Enjoy it.
4. Try not to have to do this again buy replacing all the tossed items with more stuff you won't use. ;)

It was tough, but it was a great move for me. I hoep it is/has been the same for you!
Oh Denise you are SUCH a teacher! That's awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes