Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Help me organize my copics please

I am finally getting a good stash, have been building over time. I have mostly sketch and some ciaos, and hope to move to all sketch over time. I have about 110 pens total, and am adding about 10 a month.

I need a portable storage as i take my pens to work and such, and also use them in different rooms in the house. I found this which i really like but it is SO expensive at $65. (or maybe that's NOT expensive and I just need to suck it up LOL). It also doesn't have a handle of any kind.

I want something that has slots (not elastic bands) for each pen and I dont want the pens to wiggle or move around or rotate within the slot. Plastic or wooden slots are good, or even fabric slots--just not elastic bands--i would go nuts trying to put them back under the bands.

I would love something with a handle, and I know copic makes these, and then you can get slot insert thingies from etsy. Again, though: $$.

Lastly, I found this on amazon, and in spite of some user's saying it smells, I like it--but I don't think it holds enough pens for me, considering i have 110 pens already.

I have been looking for hours for just the right storage, so if you can help me, I'd be so happy! Thank you

Last edited by MamaKoala; 02-16-2018 at 01:10 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

Meant to say--i have investigated the artbin marker storage, but it seems the pens do not fit well into the slots, which would irritate me no end, and also seems that because of the way it's designed, some of the slots are unusable.

ETA: a few years ago, a user named Plumcrazy (not sure she's here anymore) posted how she used 12x12 snapware container (maybe an ornament container) with an insert. I am attaching an image--this could actually work really well for me, but for the life of me can't figure out how she made the dividers.
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by MamaKoala; 02-16-2018 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This looks good for markers, has a handle, 120 slots and is priced right.

Amazon.com : Handy 80/120 Slot Carrying Marker Case Holder with Carrying Handle and Baldric for Permanent Paint Marker, Dry Erase Marker, Repair Marker Pen, Color Highlighter (120 Slots, Black) : Office Products

Oops, looks like you already investigated something similar, but at least this one is cheaper, lol.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
This looks good for markers, has a handle, 120 slots and is priced right.

Amazon.com : Handy 80/120 Slot Carrying Marker Case Holder with Carrying Handle and Baldric for Permanent Paint Marker, Dry Erase Marker, Repair Marker Pen, Color Highlighter (120 Slots, Black) : Office Products

Oops, looks like you already investigated something similar, but at least this one is cheaper, lol.

LOL, yep and it has the annoying elastic bands which would mean two hands--one to hold the elastic and one to push the pen in....can you see I've overthought this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

I�m trying to remember where you can find the plastic inserts (the dividers) inside that bag... I seem to remember that it is something from the hardware store but I just don�t remember the original use of the product. For some strange reason, the paint department is coming to mind...

But do you have a tote or other bag you can use? If not, it may work out better just to get that bag you shared.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 07:45 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaKoalaView Post
LOL, yep and it has the annoying elastic bands which would mean two hands--one to hold the elastic and one to push the pen in....can you see I've overthought this?
As a lifetime overthinker, I can totally relate! We just want what we want, and will keep looking until we find it.

For the record, I never carry my markers anywhere except from my craft room to a table in my living room where I have good light.

I have a motley collection of Copics, Spectrum Noirs, Sharpies, etc. I finally bought a couple of those plastic caddy's that you carry cleaning supplies in. They are divided, with one side longer, and two compartments on the other side. Most of my markers fit in, but they aren't in very good order. It's a handy way to tote them back and forth though.

They look like this one, but I got mine at the Dollar Tree.

Plastic Cleaning Caddy | Cleaners Caddy

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 10:41 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

I too searched and searched for a container for my Copics. I have the plastic inserts for the Copic briefcase, but I couldn't stand the rattling sound the markers made. I bought the very first Copic case, which was a total dud. It had 6 mesh "baskets" inside to hold your markers, but they wouldn't stand up. That's when I got the plastic inserts, but they didn't work right in the case because it had rounded corners. This case was black, looking almost like a train case. So if you see one of these, RUN, FOREST, RUN!

I tried so many things. Like you, I didn't want to have to deal with slots. I definitely didn't want something with elastic or velcro that was too fiddly to work with. But I finally found the perfect one for me, and it may or may not work for you. I have about 175 sketch markers, and with this container, there's room for a few more. But I don't want more.

What I found was a galvanized metal container with six sections and STRAIGHT sides, rectangular with a carrying handle; it's perfect!

Farmhouse Galvanized Metal Basket with Compartments | Hobby Lobby | 1286053
SaveSave
Attached Thumbnails
Help me organize my copics please-1286053%5B6%5D.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 10:59 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

2 more things:

1. I don't keep my Copics in rainbow order. I keep all my reds together, but I don't put similar color families in the same section. I put a blue family in with the red, and that makes it much easier to find the color I'm looking for.

2. Have you heard of the Copic Hex Chart by Sandy Allnock? The cost of that chart ($5.95) is the best money I've spent in my craft room. If you don't have one, I highly recommend it. After getting mine, I was able to sell some markers that were very similar to others, and then buy some to fill in where I was lacking. I found that I don't need anywhere close to 358 markers, or however many colors there are now.

Ok, I'm done. And hopefully, this will be of some help to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2018, 02:16 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

A friend has this bag plus the trays that go inside it:

Amazon.com: Crafter's Companion Spectrum Noir Storage Bag, Large, 168 Count

Crafter's Companion The Ultimate Pens and Markers Storage (Perfect for Copic & ShinHan) - Black | MarkerPOP.com

I don't know if these are the best prices for these pieces but this gives you an idea of what they look like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaKoalaView Post
Meant to say--i have investigated the artbin marker storage, but it seems the pens do not fit well into the slots, which would irritate me no end, and also seems that because of the way it's designed, some of the slots are unusable.

ETA: a few years ago, a user named Plumcrazy (not sure she's here anymore) posted how she used 12x12 snapware container (maybe an ornament container) with an insert. I am attaching an image--this could actually work really well for me, but for the life of me can't figure out how she made the dividers.
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

It looks to me like she made dividers with foam core board. Other options I've seen include using ceiling grid (the kind that goes over a fluorescent light) cut to fit the container you're using. You can get the ceiling grid at Home Depot and similar. I considered it, but took a pen with me (Spectrum Noir, I think) and the openings were just slightly too small, so I didn't get it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I actually bought this handled box for about $ 14.00:Staples� Portable File Box, Letter Size, Clear w/ Gray Lid (110991)

I can fit 3 of the clear "Copic" boxes (holds 36 pens each) on the bottom and one more on it's side above them...with room for two more when I buy more pens. In there I also have a hanging file for my "Copic" paper, a file folder for images already stamped, and another for images already colored, and trimmed. (I like to "fussy cut") There is a little snap lid tray on the top for my trimming scissors, black marker, 6 inch ruler, etc.. This is my craft project box to take anywhere, and doesn't take a lot of room-just pick up and go! Copics really should be stored horizontially, at least that is what I have read. I would be concerned about vertical storage, especially for the investment you have made. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

From the Copic website: "Which way should I store my Copic markers? Horizontal or Vertical? You can store your markers whichever way looks best on your desk Japan sells them stored either way, so it doesn't really matter."

I think it makes sense that people don't know or assume they should be stored horizontally because so many other markers do need to be stored horizontally. My instructor may have said something about how they can stored either way because of the internal pressure. I'd have to re-visit the handout she wrote to be sure though.

Good luck to MamaKoala on finding the perfect storage system! I don't like mine in individual slots so I'm clearly useless here.
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2018, 05:52 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 941 Likes on 862 Posts

Personally I don't keep my markers upright and for my storage I just use one of the kids soft lunch boxes. Granted there is no color separation and you have to rummage through to find the right marker but I don't mind as long as I can get from point A to point B without dropping all my markers. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 257 Likes on 138 Posts

A friend of mine came to our stamp club meeting with her collection of pens in a roll-up carrier. They were all in a row inside the fabric container when it was unrolled with heavy twill tape across the center, sewed at intervals to hold the pens that were slipped in and out, as needed. When rolled up it was tied with a cord that was attached at the back, so it wouldn't get lost. I don't remember seeing a handle for carrying, but I bet a cord could be attached, or the whole thing slid into a lovely wine bottle carrier that could be purchased or made. Can't tell you how many pens hers held, but more than one could be used (one for each color family?) and then a 4 pack or 6 pack wine bottle carrier could be used for transport!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one of these to fit in an Ikea Raskog cart and I love it! It also has handles on the side of so it can be removed from the cart and it's super sturdy. They are also available for the Michael's version of the cart.

Copic Sketch Marker storage for IKEA Raskog cart IKEA cart

This is not my photo... it's from the sellers Etsy listing.

Last edited by Cinnistew; 03-20-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Is it OK to store marker vertically? I thought that was a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2018, 04:18 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Is it OK to store marker vertically? I thought that was a bad thing.
See Post #12, above. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally depends on the kind and brand of markers. Copics can be stored either way.
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are some amazing storage ideas on pintrest using the grid type light diffusers for ceiling lights. Some are "fixed" storage and some are in cases that close and can be carried around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Received 307 Likes on 143 Posts

For the past five years, I have used a ceiling light diffuser. The grid helps keep the markers separate and it fits on its side in a cubby. If they need to be transported, I remove the grid with the markers still in, and carefully insert it into an Artbin Double Deep Super Satchel. When reaching for a marker, it's important to remember to pull it straight out to prevent it from getting "caught".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by AScrapofKindnessView Post
For the past five years, I have used a ceiling light diffuser. The grid helps keep the markers separate and it fits on its side in a cubby. If they need to be transported, I remove the grid with the markers still in, and carefully insert it into an Artbin Double Deep Super Satchel. When reaching for a marker, it's important to remember to pull it straight out to prevent it from getting "caught".

This is genius!!!
Reply With Quote Likes