Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-31-2018, 07:08 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evernote - please help

Can someone explain evernote to me in the simplest way possible? I have so many stamp sets and when I am looking for a particular sentiment (ex: Happy Easter) I have an awful time. I have heard of evernote but I am no computer whiz so it is overwhelming to me. Thanks!!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Ok, until you get a better reply, here's my understanding. I don't have it/never used it. This is just my understanding of how it works.

You upload/import an image of your stamp and/or stamp set (or anything really). Then you give it tags like heart, star, Merry Christmas, whatever. Then if you do a search for that tag, it'll show you all the stamps you have. So if you are looking for a heart stamp, it'll show you all the stamps and/or sets that you put into evernote that has hearts and then you can go look for the particular one you want. (I'm assuming people put in the manufacturer and/or location of their stamps.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2018, 08:13 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Frugal Scrapper's description is a good basic explanation of how it works. (I use - and LOVE - Evernote.)

Evernote is one of those programs that gets so much better the more you use it. I've used a few different databases over the years, as well as spreadsheets, and paper indexes, for trying to track my crafty supplies. Everyone has to find the system that works best for them. For me, I am now 100% sold on Evernote.

It took a while to figure out all the ins and outs, but now, I can right-click on any image, and very quickly save it to a new note in Evernote. I save all of these to my inbox, which is sort of a holding tank for my stuff. Once I've added everything that I want to, at that time, I open each note in my inbox, add notes or tags as desired (again, the ones that make sense to ME), then save it to the appropriate folder. To start the system can be rather intimidating, and time-consuming, but so are all the other systems. Keeping it up to date is a breeze.

But without a doubt, the best part of this system is the incredible search engine. I can find whatever I'm looking for - with picture and location - super quick - much faster than any other system I've tried.

As for a detailed walk-through... you might want to invest some time in watching YouTube tutorials, or get a book that explains the system, or find a helpful blog. Evernote definitely works best for those who take the time to research and practice with it. There's WAY more to this program than I could possibly explain in a single post.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2018, 01:44 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been using it for a few years now. It is by far the best way to find my stamps, sentiments etc. As Kitty said, watch some YouTube tutorials and get started. You won't regret the time spent setting it up because it will save you tons of time searching through all your stash looking for that perfect stamp.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2018, 06:59 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Using Evernote is the best thing that I ever did for my stamps, dies, and embossing folders. The key to using it, as stated above, is using the right key words for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love and use Evernote. I'm still working on getting my stash inventoried though. I work full-time and would rather make cards/scrap when I have spare time.

I would describe Evernote (EN) like a digital file cabinet. Each note in EN would be like a piece of paper in an actual file cabinet.

Grouping notes together into a notebook in EN, would be like a file folder in the file cabinet.

And you can stack notebooks in EN, which is grouping notebooks together. And in the paper world would be like putting like file folders together in a larger hanging folder.

I hope this helps a little. And I agree with others watch some YouTube videos to get started.
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I just started entering my stamp sets in Evernote about 6 weeks ago. I haven't had it long, but I love it. I've entered about 70 sets so far. The main thing I wanted to share is that I add photos using the 'drag and drop' method and it was, by far, the fastest and easiest way for me.
The process goes like this: Create a new note. Title it. Open your internet browser without closing Evernote (My screen is large enough that the windows can be side by side). Google the stamp set you are working on. When you find the image that corresponds, just 'drag and drop' it into the body of the note under the title. Then, I type out any sentiments under the image so they become searchable. Lastly, go to the top of the screen and add any tags needed. Tags are also searchable and can contain Occasions and words describing pieces of the set. Ex. Christmas, cat, Birthday, heart... The best part is that you can easily scroll to see the images you have, instead of having to go to your craft storage area and root through them manually. I've only made a few cards recently, but it was so easy (and actually fun) to browse through my collection and pick out what I wanted. I have the app on my iPhone and it stays synced perfectly. The last time I made a card, I sat at the kitchen table scrolling on my iPhone and had my stamps picked out before I even went to my craft room later. Also, it has already saved me from buying a duplicate set when at a local stamp shop. Keep in mind, you need to decide beforehand how you want to categorize/number each stamp set. I chose to organize by stamp companies, NOT occasions or categories. So, in the 'Title' section, I start with my numbering system, then the company name, the set name, the sku/item # and lastly a notation if there are corresponding dies. So, an example of a stamp set 'Title' looks like this: "A-MFT2 My Favorite Things - Furever Friends CS255 + DIES"<a-mft2 my="" favorite="" things="" -="" furever="" friends="" cs255="" +="" dies="">
In this example, 'A' refers to the bin labeled A where it is stored. MFT is the abbreviation for the company name. And 2 indicates that this is the 2nd set I ever bought from this company. Then, I label the stamp set itself with 'A-MFT2' and store them alphabetically. It may sound a little convoluted, but it works for me. The idea of trying to force a stamp set into one category was paralyzing and this system worked around that.

As it turns out, this doesn't sound simple, but I promise that it is. If you have any questions, please ask. I hope this helps.</a-mft2>

Last edited by Kid_at_heart; 04-23-2018 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: part of my description was omitted when I used a wrong command
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

I’ve been using Evernote for a couple of months now, and had never heard of it before reading about it on this fab forum ! I have currently uploaded around 300 stamp images. With some I have taken the image from the suppliers website, but to be honest it is quicker for me to just take a quick pic on my phone. This automatically uploads to Google photos. I then select the image and right click with my mouse. This gives me the option then to copy the image to Evernote. I’ve not tried dragging and dropping which may be quicker, but I’m delighted with my progress so far. As Kid_at_Heart says, it’s great when planning a card. I have just made a card for my best friend’s Birthday, and the first thing I did was scroll through the images on my iPad from the comfort of my sofa. I chose what I wanted, and then went upstairs to my craft room and picked out the stamps. Prior to Evernote, I would have spent ages in my cold, overcrowded room rummaging around for what I needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2018, 10:53 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

To those of you who are completely thrilled with EN and recommend it highly, are any of you sticking with the 'free' version, or is the majority recommending the paid-per-month/paid-per-annual program?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
To those of you who are completely thrilled with EN and recommend it highly, are any of you sticking with the 'free' version, or is the majority recommending the paid-per-month/paid-per-annual program?

I just upgraded, but only because I am now going paperless completely and needed the premium version for my digital files. If I was just sticking to a stamp inventory, the free version was plenty.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I am using the �plus� annual paid version (paying annually reduces the price - 34.99 a year = 2.92 a month). I pay a lot more for other stuff I use a lot less. Think about it - no one bats an eye at a $5 cup of coffee anymore. Anyhow, I think it is worth it because it practically pays for itself as it has already kept me from buying a duplicate stamp set when I was out at my local craft store!!! Also, if you have serious inventory that you plan to add, you really need the plus version. The monthly data is pretty limited on the free version. Once you run out of data for the month, you have to wait until the next month to keep adding. Now, if you don�t have much to add and/or you don�t mind adding just a bit this month and a bit more next month, etc. then the �free� may work for you. If you have even a modest collection and are chomping at the bit to get it done, then the �plus� version is a must. Personally, I also liked having �unlimited� devices on the �plus� plan. That way, my iPhone, iPad and Mac are all synced. If you only need to share on 2 devices, then the �free� version might suit you fine. Lastly, I will tell you that I originally downloaded the �free� version just to test Evernote. I fell in love, and upgraded to �plus� within the month. You could always try that. One last thing to mention... I can�t verify this personally because i haven�t done it myself, but i read that you can pay for the subscription monthly until you get everything uploaded. Then you can switch back to the free version which has lower monthly data amounts allowed. Supposedly, it will retain everything you�ve already entered, and just lower the monthly data limit going forward. Again, I REPEAT, i can�t verify that part - it�s just what I read. Overall, I�m highly satisfied and believe it is worth every penny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I'm still using the free version, and I'm doing just fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2018, 04:57 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

I’m currently using the free version, and it’s so far, so good !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

When I first started putting everything into Evernote, I upgraded. I was just going to wait and add more the following month, then I realized, I was on a roll and didn't want to lose steam.;)

Since then, I have only had to wait once and it was when started adding all my dies and punches.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #15  
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:

Originally Posted by justampinView Post
When I first started putting everything into Evernote, I upgraded. I was just going to wait and add more the following month, then I realized, I was on a roll and didn't want to lose steam.;)

Since then, I have only had to wait once and it was when started adding all my dies and punches.
Heather, did you upgrade for a while so you could upload most/all, then revert back to the free version?
SaveSave
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2018, 12:31 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Heather, did you upgrade for a while so you could upload most/all, then revert back to the free version?
SaveSave
Yes, if I can recall, I just bought a year. At that time it was just under $30.00 so I figured it was worth it. Now everything is in there and I can just add things when I get them. Next though will be tagging what I leave in Florida and what's up in NY.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2018, 06:47 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 669 Likes on 421 Posts

Bev, I caved on the paid version ( the smallest one) and I do not even come close to using up the data now.
but, I am still plugging away at my collection so, because I do it when I am going to do stacks of stamps or something, the free amount sometimes I could not finish a stack so, when I thought I was getting somewhere with it I wanted to see more progress as I realized how much time it was saving me with the things that I can find out the name of it quickly. at this point I want to get it all logged.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2018, 06:51 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

and I will probably keep paying for it because, I have it on two computers that I shop online with and my cell phone. ( It has stopped me from making duplicate purchases because, sometimes the online thing there will be multiple "good deals" from stores that carry lots of product lines and if its not in the room I tend to not remember I have ordered it if it is still waiting to ship from somewhere.) So, I log new things the day I order them and then sometimes it takes me a while to remove them from shopping wish lists boards..

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #19  
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
Bev, I caved on the paid version ( the smallest one) and I do not even come close to using up the data now.
but, I am still plugging away at my collection so, because I do it when I am going to do stacks of stamps or something, the free amount sometimes I could not finish a stack so, when I thought I was getting somewhere with it I wanted to see more progress as I realized how much time it was saving me with the things that I can find out the name of it quickly. at this point I want to get it all logged.
I can definitely relate to "stacks" awaiting some form of efficient organization .... but I'm just not caffeinated enough today to confess to potential totals here. ;) Hopefully some will understand. So many things have changed to monthly/bi-annual/annual subscription services, which causes me to get grinchy. :shock: At some point, something needs to be tossed .. and the idea of losing what one worked so hard to organize just because changing around one's monthly craft $$ can be a sad, sad thought. lol Considering that I discovered stamping a while before discovering SCS, one might imagine my stash. (Sit down first, and have coffee &/or chocolate at hand.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

well, *cough* I have logged something like 3K sets ( some of that number is individual stamps and sets are all only counting as 1...) and I press on :mrgreen:

my die board has a much smaller number so far, but I have so many old old things that do not have photos online to snag copies of that slows me down too because, I tend to photograph old things in batches too.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 10:19 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I love Evernote. I have the Plus version and do consider it worth the small annual fee because I use it on several devices, including an older tablet I keep in my craft room. I'm still working on my inventory, but have already used EN several times to find images. For instance, the other day I wanted a small bird on my card. Searched my inventory and got to see all the sets (I've logged so far) with a bird image. So much easier than going through everything manually. Still have a lot of work to do, but worth it for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2018, 04:11 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

I am now looking at Evernote seriously. In fact, I just took the "Dummies" book out of the library.

One question I have: Many You Tube videos refer to numbering stamp sets. Is this something I should be doing? I have never done that and I'm not sure that I have a reason to start.

OK, second question: Does anyone keep the price paid info in this database? As a tag or as something else?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2018, 05:53 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post
I am now looking at Evernote seriously. In fact, I just took the "Dummies" book out of the library.

One question I have: Many You Tube videos refer to numbering stamp sets. Is this something I should be doing? I have never done that and I'm not sure that I have a reason to start.

OK, second question: Does anyone keep the price paid info in this database? As a tag or as something else?
You know, before I was using Evernote, I had a numbering system. It made sense to me at the time. And when I first started working with Evernote, I kept the same system... but I've slowly started to abandon it. Before becoming a demo, most of my stamp sets were not SU, and most of them were in those Avery-type sleeves. By numbering the sleeves, it was faster to find what I was looking for. Instead of trying to read names, or look at the pictures on a million sleeves (okay, maybe not that many... but yes, I'm sure I qualify has a hoarder)... numbers were just a lot faster.

However, now that the majority of stamps I'm actually using regularly are SU, and are still in their DVD-type cases, I'm finding that alphabetical by the stamp set name seems to work just fine. So, the short answer to your first question is no - if you can find the stamp once you find what you want in Evernote, then there is no need for a numbering system. And I do think I'm saving a tiny bit of time by eliminating that step.

Second question: yes, as much as possible, when I have time. Usually, when I place an order now, I will take my invoice, look up each item on the Net, right-click the image and save it as a new note in Evernote. (All of my "new notes" automatically go into my inbox, which makes it easy to find all of the new notes that still need work.)

After all of the pictures are downloaded, I open each note, tag as desired, then make notes under the picture. This is where I might put something like "Purchased 5/4/18, $18.00, 2018-2019 AC" (annual catalog). Here's the thing about tags... I can't find much difference between tagging something, and simply putting the information into the body of the note. As you usually don't have to type out the whole word, having a few basic tags can be a bit quicker, but when it comes to searching, I usually just type in a word. As long as that word is somewhere in the title/tags/body of the note, it will pop up. And "reading" the information in the body of a note seems much easier to me than trying to read all of the tags.

So, as an example, I have the stamp set Beautiful Peacock. It's in my folder called "Stamps", under a stack called "Inventory". My title is just "Beautiful Peacock Stamp Set". Tags include "Stampin' Up!" (because I do also inventory my stamps from other companies), and "Photopolymer".

In the body of the note, you'll first see a picture of the stamp set. Then, it says:

Stampin' Up!
"Beautiful Peacock"
Set of 12 stamps
(147239)
SAB 2018
Purchased 12/1/2017

Peacock
Bird
Feathers
Flourish
Flowers
Today is all about YOU!
Beautiful FRIEND

Now, if I wanted a peacock image, I'd just search the word "peacock", because I know that it's not going to bring up a lot of options. If I type in the word "flower", I'll get tons of hits, but if I wanted a flower stamp, I'd search the word "flower" in my "stamps" notebook, then just browse through the pictures, to find what I needed. Once I know the name of the set, I can find it alphabetically on my shelf.

Having the "notebook" for stamps does help, because I keep lots of things in Evernote. If I just search for "flower" in ALL notes, I will also see examples of card designs with flowers, quotes with flowers, a note that hubby bought me flowers on a particular day... (okay, maybe wishful thinking on that last one, but you get the idea).

And this is even better for sentiments. I can type pretty quickly, so generally, it's not a big deal to type in each sentiment found in the set. So, say I needed a stamp that said "Beautiful Friend". It would be very easy to forget that this sentiment is included with a peacock stamp set. But since I typed that phrase into the body of the note, I can search for that phrase to find it.

Sorry for the long response. I just really love Evernote, LOL.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2018, 08:03 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post

I absolutely number my sets. It was one of the main reasons I went with Evernote to begin with. My numbering system involves using the company name abbreviation followed by a number. So, its actually an alpha-numeric system. I loved the idea of searching Evernote for �dogs�, finding the exact set I wanted and making note of the number. Next, locate the appropriate storage bin, go straight to the indicated number and VOILA! Located instantly! If, however, you store your sets by Company and don�t mind �leafing� through a stack to find what you�re looking for, then don�t worry about it. I would never bore everyone by typing it out again, but I tried to describe it in-depth in one of my prior posts in this thread. It may seem overwhelming because I described it in great detail, but I promise that it is not. In fact, I actually enjoy doing it! But admittedly - I love my label maker and am a weirdo who loves organization!

2nd question - I do not track $ paid. However, you could easily do that. You could add a tag, you could simply add it in the body of the note, or even type it right up on the �Title� line so it�s instantly visible if that is important to you.

Lastly, I totally agree with BashfulStamper, I�ve seen very little difference between simply typing into the body of the note and actually creating a �tag�. The search engine is awesome and will find your search word anywhere. That being said, here is what I do: In the body of the note, right underneath the image I added, I type out any and all text/sentiments. Then, at the top of the page, I create �tags� that describe the set. I always start with any occasion the set would be good for, then I create a tag to reference EVERY image that isn�t text. So, if I see �Happy Birthday� under my image in the note section, I know instantly that the exact sentiment is in that stamp set. If I see �Birthday� as a �tag�, I know that�s simply a set suitable for a Birthday card and doesn�t necessarily have that exact sentiment.

I, too, must apologize for the long post... But I also LOVE Evernote!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2018, 08:47 AM   #25  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My system is uselessly outdated (didn't keep updated during some moves etc.) but I chose numbering over alphabetical so that new acquisitions can just be appropriately labeled and placed in the next slot on the shelf (I was using several bookcases, which I miss). Alphabetical would either take more time or not stay in order.

I am not using Evernote but probably will at some point. Right now my stuff needs a big purge, followed by a major organization and I'm not there.., yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I don't actually number mine, I just glance at the total amount of "notes" on any given board I am plugging away at.
and I do not have price tags on mine mostly because, I have been collecting for going on 20 years and I really do not expect to gain that same amount back if I were to start parting with them in any kind of a serious way.

I have tossed a few handfuls in yard sales or on ebay ( years ago) so, no for me its a memory thing. I "know" I have a (insert what ever here) but, maybe I do not remember who made it or its set name, so by doing searches of tags I get the choices and looking at the photos tells me where to look. ( is it clear? is it on wood) kwim?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I store my newer stamp sets by manufacturer, so decided not to go with a numbering system, although I might use something like it when I start inventorying my drawers of wood mount stamps. I don't list the cost, although I do like to include the purchase date and sometimes the circumstances (such as grab bags or Passport to Creativity). I also enter a general description of the images and list the sentiments for searching.

As far as tags go, I also realized the search function is pretty powerful (it will even recognize words in pictures if they're clear enough) so I try to keep my tags to themes, such as encouragement, friendship, sympathy, which covers a broader range of images and sentiments. I like to think I have a pretty good memory, but I have enough stamps now that I'm happy when I remember I have a certain kind of stamp and Evernote helps me locate it.
Reply With Quote Likes