Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
I have a pumice stone on a handle. The stone is curved and works really well. I think it's from an old pedicure kit.
I think I've got one of those laying around somewhere - I'll have to give it a try! Thanks for the heads-up... ;)

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #82  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question for everyone.

What if want to use the Misti with necked rubba how the heck would it work! Especially if you want to do repeated stamping.

It made for clear mounted stamps :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #83  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 520 Likes on 234 Posts

You can use the MISTI with both clear mount stamps and photopolymer stamps. To use with "necked rubba" you need to use the same method as the photopolymer (with the foam sheet on the inside under your paper), but may need some shims of cardstock under the foam depending on the thickness of the rubber.

Not that I have experience with that...but Sue (above) has said that was what she did.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #84  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yeah, I have two pieces of foam - the one that came with the MISTI and a piece of fun foam and I use one or both when I stamp - depending on the thickness of the rubber or photopolymer (they vary quite a bit). I have 2-way glue on the back of all of my "nekkid rubber", but once in a while I'll have a stamp that I haven't put the glue on yet and I just use double-sided tape on the back of it to hold it to the MISTI. I've been using (read: abusing) that poor thing for nearly a year and a half, and - although she's a bit rough around the edges now - she still performs perfectly every time, and is none the worse for wear from the tape.

I also use poster tape to hold a laminated card loaded with stamps so I can stamp the entire thing on an index card at once - saves TONS of time over stamping each image/sentiment individually. Best investment ever (along with my laminator, of course, lol)! I'm probably a bit extreme, because even brand-new, cling foam-mounted stamps get ripped down to bare rubber. I'm a space miser, and the foam takes up too much...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #85  
Die Cut Diva

Sue do you use only nekkid rubber now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #86  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2busyscrappinView Post
Sue do you use only nekkid rubber now
Yes - and photopolymer. Even if I buy wood-mounted or cling foam-mounted, I strip them down to bare rubber, trim them (if needed), scribble Zig glue on the back and let them dry for several hours (or overnight) before putting them on laminated cardstock to store them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #87  
Die Cut Diva

How do you catalogue the images so you know which one is which.?

I looked on YouTube but nothing caught my eye.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Yes - and photopolymer. Even if I buy wood-mounted or cling foam-mounted, I strip them down to bare rubber, trim them (if needed), scribble Zig glue on the back and let them dry for several hours (or overnight) before putting them on laminated cardstock to store them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #88  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2busyscrappinView Post
How do you catalogue the images so you know which one is which.?

I looked on YouTube but nothing caught my eye.
I have a binder with pics of complete sets (or, in many cases, the survivors of a set where I have given away some/most of the other stamps from the set), organized alphabetically by manufacturer. For the stamps themselves, I stamp a 4" x 6" index card to go in one side of the photo sleeve where the laminated card holding the stamps is in the other side. I know that makes little/no sense, so here's a visual:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2016, 07:41 PM   #89  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Looks so good, Sue! Maybe "nekkid" is my next step. That's the next way to improve storage for me going forward...other than another purge, that is.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #90  
Die Cut Diva

Sue: you have just made my life easier.

I also have the fuse tool and that's an idea I can do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #91  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

The issues you mention are exactly why I'm not a fan of TIOO. I was using a Sailor glue marker until they became impossible to find. I switched to the big Zig chisel-tip 2-way glue marker and it's as good as the Sailor - tacky enough to hold well, but no residue on the carrier sheet or block at all...
Hi Sue... Ok so I got the Zig marker and applied a swipe glue up one side and down the other side... let it dry overnight and the next day stuck it to a sheet of duralar... then I went to move it to a different spot of the sheet and when I pulled it up it left residue and you could see the adhesive pulling up. Do you think I put to much? all I did was a thin coating.. ughhh I was so hopeful.. hahah Have you noticed anything like this? Share your expertise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #92  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sue, I am going to ask a couple of questions that I think I know the answer to but just gotta ask before I do my laminating..... You laminate a white piece of cardstock with NOTHING on it, right? 8 1/2 by 11. Then cut it in half?!?!?!?!?!?
The only stamping is on the index card.......
Thanks for the pictures... worth a thousand words.... but I can be so dense at times.....

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #93  
Stazon Splitcoast

I laminate a half-sheet of cardstock in each pouch so the other half is just clear, fused to itself. I cut the clear the same size as the laminated cardstock and use it as a cover sheet so the whole thing will slide in and out of the sleeves without sticking. And yes, the only stamping is on the index card...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenjoy71View Post
Hi Sue... Ok so I got the Zig marker and applied a swipe glue up one side and down the other side... let it dry overnight and the next day stuck it to a sheet of duralar... then I went to move it to a different spot of the sheet and when I pulled it up it left residue and you could see the adhesive pulling up. Do you think I put to much? all I did was a thin coating.. ughhh I was so hopeful.. hahah Have you noticed anything like this? Share your expertise
I'm glad you said something, because I've noticed that it is kind of hit-and-miss. Like you, I was so hopeful, and the initial stamps that I used the Zig on didn't do that. They were brand-new, though, and didn't have any residue from being stuck to foam for years or whatever, and I'm wondering if that made a difference.

I think that I'll test a stamp or two that was previously stuck to foam by cleaning the back really well with Ultra Clean, then rinsing with water and letting it air-dry, then apply the glue. It will be kind of a nuisance to have to do that with every stamp going forward, but less of a nuisance than if I have to re-do everything all the time because the adhesive is a hot mess all over everything.

I'll let you know how the experiment turns out...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 03:47 AM   #95  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a Misti and I have a piece of Tack N Peal mounted on a sheet of cling vinyl that I can take on and off the Misti when I want to use bare rubber. It works great and i keep it in a file folder in my Misti case when not in use. I haven't committed to taking all the cling off my existing rubber stamps but might in the future. I was not a fan of using the Aleene's TIOO on the back of the stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 04:16 AM   #96  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I'm glad you said something, because I've noticed that it is kind of hit-and-miss. Like you, I was so hopeful, and the initial stamps that I used the Zig on didn't do that. They were brand-new, though, and didn't have any residue from being stuck to foam for years or whatever, and I'm wondering if that made a difference.

I think that I'll test a stamp or two that was previously stuck to foam by cleaning the back really well with Ultra Clean, then rinsing with water and letting it air-dry, then apply the glue. It will be kind of a nuisance to have to do that with every stamp going forward, but less of a nuisance than if I have to re-do everything all the time because the adhesive is a hot mess all over everything.

I'll let you know how the experiment turns out...
Well im sorry you have experienced the same thing hit or miss. But atleast it wasnt just me hahah! It seems me to be hit or miss on my stamps too but the ones I did yesterday were new.. so who knows! I think it might just be one of those things I or we have to deal with... ughhh I look forward to hearing on your experiment
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 04:26 AM   #97  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm really bummed that Sailor quit making their big chisel-tip glue marker. I NEVER had this issue with it! I thought that the search was over for a replacement, so I'm double-bummed that it's not working out as I'd hoped. Further bulletins as events warrant...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 04:30 AM   #98  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I'm really bummed that Sailor quit making their big chisel-tip glue marker. I NEVER had this issue with it! I thought that the search was over for a replacement, so I'm double-bummed that it's not working out as I'd hoped. Further bulletins as events warrant...
I WONDER if the fine tip would work from sailor.. just takes more scribbles to get enough adhesive.. hmmmm To bad we cant contact Sailor and figure it out! HAHA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 06:24 AM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

I tried that - didn't work very well. I just looked at a video on Club Scrap from a link someone else posted about their glue, and the demonstrator said to put the glue on not gloppy, but not too thin or "it'll peel off like a bad sunburn". Maybe I'm being too stingy? I'll try applying a heavier coat of the Zig and see what happens, since I'm experimenting, anyway...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 06:13 AM   #100  
Stazon Splitcoast

Updates: I tried Suzi's (bunnystamper) suggestion of putting the stamps in the freezer so the rubber comes off the foam more easily and with less residue, and it totally works! You only need them in there for a minute or two, too.

I was very liberal with the Zig glue and let it dry overnight - SCORE!!! It's nice and tacky and no residue at all. I'm SO glad I don't have to go looking for yet another adhesive!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #101  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Updates: I tried Suzi's (bunnystamper) suggestion of putting the stamps in the freezer so the rubber comes off the foam more easily and with less residue, and it totally works! You only need them in there for a minute or two, too.

I was very liberal with the Zig glue and let it dry overnight - SCORE!!! It's nice and tacky and no residue at all. I'm SO glad I don't have to go looking for yet another adhesive!
Great!!! Gonna try both of these tips!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #102  
Glitter Queen

I've been using "nakkid" rubber for many years now because I've been a Club Scrap member since 2000. Back then their scrapbook kits came with 2 wood mounted stamps, but somewhere along the way those were phased out and we were blessed with sheets of unmounted rubber instead. I say blessed because we got much more for our money out of unmounted rubber sheets of stamps. There were several images on each 5x7 sheet, and as time went on each kit grew to offer up to 4 sheets of various sizes per kit.

Because of Club Scrap I am very familiar with these types of stamps. For those wanting to learn how to cut out, glue and prepare these stamps as Sue mentioned there is a video at www.clubscrap.com that shows exactly how to do it. The store on the Club Scrap website is open to all (you don't have to be a member) and while I used Aleen's Tack it Over and Over for years to glue my stamps, lately I've noticed a huge problem with the quality of it-my glued stamps have been falling off of the gluing box.

The glue I now use is what Club Scrap sells called, "Mount It Adhesive". To get there go to the website, click under Store and then Papercrafting, then supplies and tools. Once you get there you can see the video Sue was talking about on how to Unmounted (naked rubber) stamps. After that you can click over to stamps and see what CS sells. I love their stamps.

To stamp I sometimes use a magazine under my paper for a cushion if needed, but that's it. It's great not worrying about adding the foam under every stamp because you save money and storage. Just adding a magazine or the foam while stamping is so much better I think.

Debbie in MD.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #103  
Pearl-ExPert

Do y'all take your wood mount stamps (not SU)off the block?? I have about 100 or so and have been debating on weather or not to unmount them.

Input is appreciated.

TIA

http://papercutsnink.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #104  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Yes, Suzi, all my stamps are off the blocks. Best decision I ever made. Well, one of the best, anyway. ;)
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #105  
Glitter Queen

It's completely a personal choice. I didn't take mine off the blocks.

I don't have a lot of SU stamps-about 30 sets. I keep them in 2 baskets in a wood cabinet with doors that shut. I have a ton of other wood block stamps from my years in Club Scrap and others. I have those displayed on the wall in racks. They take up little space there and I can see them all at a glance. Those racks run floor to ceiling in abut 4 feet of space. Then I also have 2 additional shelves.

I have my unmounted rubber that I've prepared into stamps (see above post) and I put those into Uni-keep binders and store on my bookshelves. Those work best for me because some of the Club Scrap unmounted rubber stamps are larger than the popular method of using the 4x6 sheets in the refrigerator shelves. I like to keep those rubber sheet sets together all on one sheet so I use 81/2 by 11 sheets in the binders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2016, 07:14 AM   #106  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I laminate a half-sheet of cardstock in each pouch so the other half is just clear, fused to itself. I cut the clear the same size as the laminated cardstock and use it as a cover sheet so the whole thing will slide in and out of the sleeves without sticking. And yes, the only stamping is on the index card...
Is this the method that you use for both clear and cling? With the 2 pieces of laminate?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2016, 07:54 AM   #107  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by boobookittysgrannyView Post
Is this the method that you use for both clear and cling? With the 2 pieces of laminate?
Yup - sure is! I break up most of my sets (except the ones that need to stay together to make sense) and store by category (flowers, people, etc.) so they are all mixed together, anyway - clear and rubber. I use AdTech tape runner on the back of the rubber rather than cling foam.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #108  
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks!! Another question...Sorry! Can I laminate the index card that comes with most sets instead of having to stamp all the images?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #109  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by boobookittysgrannyView Post
thanks!! Another question...Sorry! Can I laminate the index card that comes with most sets instead of having to stamp all the images?
I don't have a definitive answer, but I do have a suggestion: I use those index cards to put in my binder that shows complete sets. You could make a photocopy of the index and laminate that, but I've found that I purge and add to and rearrange my stamps often enough that I would have to keep laminating new cards to keep up with what was going to be on them. All of my laminated cards are blank and I just slide an un-laminated sheet with the pictures of them (stamped or photocopied or whatever you decide to do) in the sleeve with the stamps. That way if you rearrange, you don't have to trash the laminated card and start over - you just get a new index sheet to put in with it... Make sense?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #110  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I don't have a definitive answer, but I do have a suggestion: I use those index cards to put in my binder that shows complete sets. You could make a photocopy of the index and laminate that, but I've found that I purge and add to and rearrange my stamps often enough that I would have to keep laminating new cards to keep up with what was going to be on them. All of my laminated cards are blank and I just slide an un-laminated sheet with the pictures of them (stamped or photocopied or whatever you decide to do) in the sleeve with the stamps. That way if you rearrange, you don't have to trash the laminated card and start over - you just get a new index sheet to put in with it... Make sense?
Yes, makes sense. Thanks for the help. I think that I'm going to try laminating the index sheet enclosed with the blank piece of paper. I keep all of my sets together (yea, crazy, I know...LOL) so there will be no need to rearrange them once I get everything in the envelope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #111  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subbing because my feeble memory can't store all this amazing info!

I swear to God - I am doing this soon. I've been threatening to redo my stamp storage for about two years. I just recently went on a spending splurge and now I really need a better system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2018, 12:30 AM   #112  
Cardstock Collector

Default less bulk, easier to catalog & reach for

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnystamperView Post
So has anyone taken their SU photopolymers out of the cases and done JM method of storage?
Yup, pretty much what I�ve done, love love her method, the guro of crafting organization, #JM.

Reply With Quote Likes