Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-05-2022, 10:35 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Do you cut down your partial card stock and patterned papers sheets to one size?

I can't bear to throw away paper that I love (or even paper that I don't love, for that matter), so I have a lot of partial sheets in big baggies that I keep on hand. I try to use those up before cutting into a fresh one. Since I began as a scrapbooker, but have pretty much switched over to card making, I have a lot of 12x12 sheets, as well as 8.5 x 11, and smaller paper pads. The smaller paper pads aren't a problem but the larger partial sheets are driving me nuts. I store them by color in huge baggies, that are then stored upright in a box next to my craft table. The problem is that the papers are getting rumpled and creased as I pull them in and out, color matching etc.
Now I'm wondering if I should just grab most of them and cut them all down to a uniform size to fit a card front, and sort them upright in boxes instead of wrestling with the baggies and all the different sizes of scraps.
Does anyone do this? How does it work for you? I tend to make most of my cards in the A2 size anyway. I don't want to cut everything up and then find out that this is even worse. I know that cutting them and putting them in shallow boxes will take up more room in my craft space, which is already limited.
Thoughts on this? How do you store and use your scraps?
Thanks.
Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2022, 12:56 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a lot of 12x12 paper that I have cut down to 6x6 and store that way. I use CTMH stamp storage boxes, which are the perfect size.
Some sheets were from paper sets that I used several times for scrapbook layouts and had a few sheets left over. If I didn't think I'd use the remaining sheets for another layout, I cut them down because I still loved them!
Some sheets were from 12x12 paper that I bought knowing I'd use it for card making (I tend to use SU! paper more for cardmaking and less for scrapbooking).

So far, I don't remember ever thinking "Dang, wish this was still in a 12x12 sheet". Especially since I have a million other 12x12 sheets to choose from. I'm sure it may have happened a time or 2, but not enough to stop me from doing it.

I haven't cut it down to card front size, just because there are times I may use the paper on the diagonal and then I'd need a longer piece. And my boxes fit 6x6 perfectly, too.

Hope this helps!

Hang on. Let me overthink this.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by NerdyBeth:
bettyjoanes (06-09-2022), craneacres (04-06-2022), fl_beachbum (04-06-2022), grateful2bsaved (04-06-2022), katzarm (04-06-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by NerdyBethView Post
I have a lot of 12x12 paper that I have cut down to 6x6 and store that way. I use CTMH stamp storage boxes, which are the perfect size.
Some sheets were from paper sets that I used several times for scrapbook layouts and had a few sheets left over. If I didn't think I'd use the remaining sheets for another layout, I cut them down because I still loved them!
Some sheets were from 12x12 paper that I bought knowing I'd use it for card making (I tend to use SU! paper more for cardmaking and less for scrapbooking).

So far, I don't remember ever thinking "Dang, wish this was still in a 12x12 sheet". Especially since I have a million other 12x12 sheets to choose from. I'm sure it may have happened a time or 2, but not enough to stop me from doing it.

I haven't cut it down to card front size, just because there are times I may use the paper on the diagonal and then I'd need a longer piece. And my boxes fit 6x6 perfectly, too.

Hope this helps!
Haha, the only time I wished I kept a sheet in 12x12 was when I've made 3-D projects, like gift boxes or favor boxes. What I'm worried about more, is whether I should leave them in slightly larger pieces (to cover your mention of needing a piece that can go on the diagonal etc.).
After I posted this, I went upstairs and started going through my baggies and baggies of scraps and realized that at least 1/4 of is paper that I dislike!! That's why I hadn't used them in years. Argh! It's kind of like the Marie Kondo method of only keeping what sparks joy. Only I apparently keep things that spark misery...haha!
So..I tossed some of it in recycling, then trimmed all the ragged edges from the papers that I still like. Going through them let me see what I actually have. I also cut down solid card stock pieces that are close to 4.5 x 5.5, and will just try to remember to use them. I have two boxes of card stock that was cut down to card front size years and years ago, just sitting in my craft closet...and I never remember to use them.
I did cut down a bunch of 12x12 papers several years ago and then regretted it because I should have cut them into 8x8 pieces to make envelopes. Instead, I cut them to card front size and they just sit there. If they were envelopes, they would have been used years ago.
Going through my scrap stash did remind me, as well, that I can get bogged down in the nonsense, and lose track of the fact that it doesn't really matter in the long run. If I want to make a slimline card, and my preferred scrap of choice is the wrong size and shape, I should just grab something else. It's not as if I'm sitting here with five sheets of paper to my name.
One reason I moved away from scrapbooking and got more into cards was because I got too caught up in coordinating "just the right shade and color" to go with my photos. It took a hobby and turned it into a chore.
Thanks so much for the input and the reminder that I have plenty of other sheets of paper available as well.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 11 users liked this post by kazeka:
Beverly 1939 (04-06-2022), Chris4436 (04-11-2022), ChrisO (04-06-2022), craneacres (04-06-2022), grateful2bsaved (04-06-2022), katzarm (04-06-2022), Kristy Tyra (04-06-2022), MangieB (04-06-2022), momaimp (09-18-2022), smhtwin (04-06-2022), wavejumper (08-19-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 04:53 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

4 years ago I purchased over 1000 retired 12 x 12 sheets of cardstock and dSP from a retiring su demonstrator. I cut the cardstock to A2 getting 2 per sheet plus a piece 3 1/1 x 12. I could make 2 mini slimeline or use to punch out shapes.
the DSP
Since I make mostly A2 cards, I used Kylie bertucci's method of love it chop it. Cutting to 6 pieces 4 x 51/4 and storing by color in the Iris photo boxes that are then stored 16 in a larger case. I labeled each box with the color. The 1 1/2 x 4 piece is used to make another card or on the inside of the card. There is no waste. Love having everything precut and can cut the 4 x 5 1/4 into other sizes. I follow call Me Crafty Al Sheetload ideas and Jess Crafts templates and card ideas both on Youtube. Kristie Marcotte is also a favorite for card templates.
Hope this is helpful
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 10 users liked this post by ondinesgirl:
ChrisO (04-06-2022), craftymomto2 (04-06-2022), craneacres (04-06-2022), jodaisy (04-06-2022), katzarm (04-06-2022), smhtwin (04-06-2022), smileyj (04-06-2022), Springpatchlady (04-08-2022), uncbballfan (08-21-2022), vterrell (06-13-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 10:25 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondinesgirlView Post
4 years ago I purchased over 1000 retired 12 x 12 sheets of cardstock and dSP from a retiring su demonstrator. I cut the cardstock to A2 getting 2 per sheet plus a piece 3 1/1 x 12. I could make 2 mini slimeline or use to punch out shapes.
the DSP
Since I make mostly A2 cards, I used Kylie bertucci's method of love it chop it. Cutting to 6 pieces 4 x 51/4 and storing by color in the Iris photo boxes that are then stored 16 in a larger case. I labeled each box with the color. The 1 1/2 x 4 piece is used to make another card or on the inside of the card. There is no waste. Love having everything precut and can cut the 4 x 5 1/4 into other sizes. I follow call Me Crafty Al Sheetload ideas and Jess Crafts templates and card ideas both on Youtube. Kristie Marcotte is also a favorite for card templates.
Hope this is helpful
Oooh, thanks for all the tips and measurements. I've watched a video or two by crafters who have cut down card stock and paper in this way, but I think I need to go back and watch them again.
One thing I feared happening (and has happened in the past when I cut my paper down in size) is that I didn't allow for any extra to make card embellishments or mats for sentiments etc. By cutting a 12x12 sheet the way you indicated, it gives more options, as well as leaving extra for adding to the card later.
I don't make multiples, except at Christmas, so the sheetload of card templates are not something I paid attention to. However, I can see the real benefits of cutting and storing it that way, and not necessarily intending to use the card templates.
Thanks so much!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2022, 11:34 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

I, too, have shameful amounts of 12 x 12 papers, still in the 12 x 12 plastic boxes that fit in the white rolling storage stacks. To those who have switched to the handy 6 x 6 or card front size, do you then have to open several photo boxes to find the pattern that you need for today's card, etc.?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2022, 11:45 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I did want to clarify that my problem isn't the full 12x12 sheets in my stash (which I keep as full sheets), but the partial sheets that always end up left over. Those were the ones that seem hard to store and use. I keep my 12x12 paper stacks intact and stored vertically. All of my 12x12 card stock and patterned papers are also sorted and stored vertically by color and/or theme.
The ones that drive me insane are the partial sheets of paper that started out as 12x12, or 8.5 x 11, and are now irregular pieces, or of varying sizes. Those seem to be overlooked, even when they're close at hand...and then they get damaged, creased etc. Not to mention that they take up room better used for something I actually use.
The method of cutting up papers discussed by Ondinesgirl, above, soounds like something I can adapt to those partial sheets, as well as to full 12x12 sheets. Since I still do scrapbook and intend to finish layouts and albums over the years, I am keeping full 12x12 intact.
Work in progress.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2022, 11:52 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
I, too, have shameful amounts of 12 x 12 papers, still in the 12 x 12 plastic boxes that fit in the white rolling storage stacks. To those who have switched to the handy 6 x 6 or card front size, do you then have to open several photo boxes to find the pattern that you need for today's card, etc.?
Hi Bev,
I'm also curious about how people make the best use of those pieces, even after they're cut down to size. I have two shoe box-sized boxes of heavy-weight, solid card stock in uniform 4x6 pieces, sorted by color...all neat and tidy, that I have NEVER used. They look organized and beautiful but they've been sitting there for over 5-7 years in my craft closet. I was hoping that cutting down the rest of my odd-sized scraps and integrating it into those boxes would encourage me to keep them at hand, instead of in the craft closet. If I see something, I'll use it. Out of sight, out of mind, otherwise.
When my scrap papers are crammed into huge baggies and then stored in a cardboard box on the floor under my craft table, they aren't seen or used.
My interest has shifted over the years away from buying, to using up what I have. So it's a whole new mind-set and will require major re-setting of my habits I guess.
Thanks.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
TexasGrammy (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 01:31 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
When I cut mine down, I went ahead and sorted them how I would look for them - dots/stripes, glitter/foil, floral and masculine. It's worked well.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
bzzzeee (04-27-2022), TexasGrammy (04-06-2022), vterrell (06-13-2022), wavejumper (11-04-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Hi Bev,
I'm also curious about how people make the best use of those pieces, even after they're cut down to size. I have two shoe box-sized boxes of heavy-weight, solid card stock in uniform 4x6 pieces, sorted by color...all neat and tidy, that I have NEVER used. They look organized and beautiful but they've been sitting there for over 5-7 years in my craft closet. I was hoping that cutting down the rest of my odd-sized scraps and integrating it into those boxes would encourage me to keep them at hand, instead of in the craft closet. If I see something, I'll use it. Out of sight, out of mind, otherwise.
When my scrap papers are crammed into huge baggies and then stored in a cardboard box on the floor under my craft table, they aren't seen or used.
My interest has shifted over the years away from buying, to using up what I have. So it's a whole new mind-set and will require major re-setting of my habits I guess.
Thanks.
Karen
Would you use them if they were by your die-cutting machine or punches? Maybe it's just a matter of putting them in the right place?

Reply With Quote Likes
from the heart (04-07-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 04:53 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I'm not sure if this will help, but it has been working for me lately. When I make a scrapbook page or group of cards, I take the leftover pieces of cardstock and patterned papers and make card kits. I store them in my stamp pockets/envelopes. When I need some inspiration, I pull out a kit and get to work. I add stamping, inking, embellishments, sentiments - whatever works for the kit I have. This way I use up the scraps and don't forget about them. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
DianeinSparks (04-07-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 08:37 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

the DSP
Hope this is helpful
Oh my gosh, I just watched some of Kylie Bertucci's Youtube videos on the Love It, Chop It series and I am SO inspired! She's an amazing and engaging teacher and her method of cutting paper into handy, useable card elements is easy to do. I can even use it for random pieces that aren't part of a collection, although having it all coordinate makes it much easier. I have sheets of 12x12 vellum that I've had for years and will never use...because I don't use vellum on my layouts. I do, however, use it on cards.
So, pulled out a bunch and cut them up...and now I'll grab them and make a point of using it.
Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2022, 07:35 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

To answer your question, yes I do think you should get those scraps into uniform sizes. Seems like that will make it easier to use them up.

I just watched this video about cutting your 12x12 paper -- kinda nervous but I think I will try it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2022, 12:02 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenTView Post
To answer your question, yes I do think you should get those scraps into uniform sizes. Seems like that will make it easier to use them up.

I just watched this video about cutting your 12x12 paper -- kinda nervous but I think I will try it!

Oh my gosh, this made me so nervous to watch, but what a great technique! Not sure I'm brave enough to just cut from the back without looking, but her point about not being able to see a usable card background when you see those full-page illustrations is a good one. I have some Graphic45 and DCWV papers that are like that, and can't wait to pull them out and try this. Thanks so much for posting!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
RenT (05-26-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 07:29 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't cut my paper down because I think I have more waste. I store my paper scraps by colors in sectioned drawers. The 3 sections sizes are 6x12 and 2 - 6x6. One of 6x6 holds 6x6 paper and the other 6x6 holds small scraps. If it's bigger than those sizes it goes back to the main storage. If the piece is smaller than 2" I don't keep it. I've been using this system for a couple of years and it's great just to look in drawer for paper I want.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you cut down your partial card stock and patterned papers sheets to one size?-20180119_145116.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
AnniePanda (06-04-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 06:33 AM   #16  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

for 8.5x11 cardstock, once I cut into it, the rest gets cut into 1/4 sheets - I have a file for those, sorted by color, where I reach before I pull out a full sheet

Patterned paper, depends on my mood LOL - I have 12x12 paper sleeves that I keep packs together in, so scraps go in there with the full pack
but I have cut down to card front size too

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2022, 04:40 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Something interesting was said....if you had them as envelopes you would have used them up by now.

Maybe that is the answer. Make a bunch of envelopes.

I used to be allowed ONE box of scraps and when it got fat, I made scrap cards. But I stumbled across a whole LOT of scraps in zip bags I must have made years ago and forgot about! Ack! I will use them but not happy about the amount of space they are taking up for now. I also pre-cut common sentiments. Then I can just either match up a color or use a neutral metallic. I find those very helpful actually. I will also cut some in white so if I want to make it thicker or custom color it with an ink I used on the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
kazeka (08-19-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 06:13 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I've been trying something new for the past few months. After I make a scrapbook layout or card, I put the leftover pieces of cardstock and patterned paper into a plastic bag. I try to use that "kit" for the next set of cards that I make. If the pieces belong to a collection, they go back into the storage for that collection.

It's working pretty well. I still have my scrap accordion envelope, but I feel like I'm using most of my leftovers.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
ChrisO (08-20-2022), wavejumper (11-04-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 11:39 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I've been trying something new for the past few months. After I make a scrapbook layout or card, I put the leftover pieces of cardstock and patterned paper into a plastic bag. I try to use that "kit" for the next set of cards that I make. If the pieces belong to a collection, they go back into the storage for that collection.

It's working pretty well. I still have my scrap accordion envelope, but I feel like I'm using most of my leftovers.
Oh, I like that idea! I've been organizing and storing scraps by color but keeping all the pieces together would make my next card go more quickly. Especially good for making multiple cards, like holiday or birthday.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2022, 03:37 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

the DSP
Since I make mostly A2 cards, I used Kylie bertucci's method of love it chop it.
Thank you so much for introducing me to Kylie. I love her template system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2022, 07:56 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

There is an awful lot of good information in this post.
thanks for all those that posted.
Reply With Quote Likes